PDA

View Full Version : What I would like to see done in mods!!

Vorkapitan
06-03-11, 07:03 PM
Hi Mates,

I like most of the mods that are created by our people on Subsim and appreciate all the long hours that they have spent to give us a great sim.
However, I believe we need to organize the way mods are given to us.

We should have a "mod" group that oversees what is placed in the "download or Workshop" section. That way I would not have to worry as much about which mods or what order they are in.

Presently I have many mods that I can't use because another mod is being
overridden. I don't have the time or skills to evaluate every mod that comes out that has a conflict with another mod that I previously installed.

Many mods have sound files in them that override the sounds that I like.
Also an example is TDW worked on sensors in the "SENSORS - IRAI_0_0_30_ByTheDarkWraith" mod, then another mod overrides this mod, and I'm not sure what the impact would be.

Another thing I would like to see if possible is to have a base group mod for newbies, mid level users and then Hard core users. (as is Mare Nostrum)

I hope this is doable.... :hmmm:

Any opinions are welcome! :DL

Xrundel
06-03-11, 10:15 PM
I guess people got spoiled by variety and choice of mods and therefore got confused :yep:.

It is never too late to learn basics about MODs - so it would help understand the process behind JSGME work.

"MOD" come from word "modification".

Imagine we have three modders that are making MODs involving same file.
"Sensors.sim" is a very good example because slight changes in it have great effect.

If all three modders would take original game file called "sensors.sim" and modify it every one according their idea - I bet you will not be able to use all three mods, because each of them will overwright previous one. And this is exactly why people concern - because they don't understand completely how it works.

Now imagine another example that actually based on true events, like they say about movies:cool:.

TDW takes original "stock" game file and creates nice user interface. He modified this file and his creation is called "MOD".
Then he come up with another idea and created another modification, called IRAI. He did not build it from the scratch, he did not used "stock" file again. He took already modified by him file and while keeping previous information added some new. So second modification is actually compatible with first.
The trick is - if a new player is installing those mods - he have to install UI first and IRAI second. If he will do otherwise - than he will have just one MOD actually installed. Because UI will overwrite more recent file. You don't put older file on the top of the newer one.
Than another modder come with some good idea. He took original "stock" file. Added to it first MOD made by TDW. Then second (IRAI). And only after that he added new info, modifying "sensors.sim" file yet again. If you paid any attention - nobody did erase any previous information, it's included in new file.
As a result - it will work just fine because he made it compatible with previous two. Only thing to remember - is to install them in chronological order. Oldest - first. Newer one - last. And in this case when JSGME every time will come with message that "sensors.sim" is about to be overwritten - there is nothing to worry about. Because of MODs comparability nothing get lost and everything will work just fine.

There is nothing to worry about MODs order of installation as long as JSGME does not give you warning massage. That's usually means that MODs you are installing don't share any files and you can install them in any order.
If you start getting messages - that's mean files are shared and at that point you have to make sure that they are compatible and in what order they have to be installed so no options will get lost.

If you not sure about comparability - you can ask MOD's author about it.
As for order of installation - easiest way to figure it out is to look at MODs list of some MOD junky like stoianm or myself and see what comes first and what after that.

Very easy. No more confusion. :salute:

tonschk
06-04-11, 12:40 AM
Very good Xrundel :up: thank you :salute: very much :yeah:

mobucks
06-04-11, 03:55 PM
I wish there was something like YOMA-Tools for ARMA where you just pick a mod profile and all mods are downloaded from an up to date modlist FTP type thing.

If only I could have, say, Stoiams or Sobers entire modlist downloaded at the click of a button, I'd be in heaven.

7thSeal
06-04-11, 05:14 PM
Hi Mates,

I like most of the mods that are created by our people on Subsim and appreciate all the long hours that they have spent to give us a great sim.
However, I believe we need to organize the way mods are given to us.

We should have a "mod" group that oversees what is placed in the "download or Workshop" section. That way I would not have to worry as much about which mods or what order they are in.

A quick fix of how to install mods?
With the mods being free and the workers doing it on their own time... I'd be happy with that. Figuring out what goes where takes a little time but not much trouble to do. A team working for free to do this for everyone else is a big request imo and not really needed if you're willing to put out some effort. :up:

Targor Avelany
06-07-11, 04:59 PM
A quick fix of how to install mods?
With the mods being free and the workers doing it on their own time... I'd be happy with that. Figuring out what goes where takes a little time but not much trouble to do. A team working for free to do this for everyone else is a big request imo and not really needed if you're willing to put out some effort. :up:

you will also find that a lot of very good and best mods are not uploaded to the Subsim forums at all and located on external sources.:ping: