PDA

View Full Version : SH3 Campaign Style for SH5

Philipp_Thomsen
05-19-11, 09:44 PM
So, how's the progress on the subject? (title)

Only reason why Im not playing (and modding) SH5 yet is cos I hate the mission style of campaign... Well... That and the fact that I got married. :dead:

you know, "Do this, then come back, then I'll tell you what to do next" style of campaign is just plain boring and arcadish. I find the SH3 style of campaign perfect, realistic.

Is someone working on this? Possible to make SH5 campaign look like SH3?

Btw, long time since I've been here... almost 1 year.

A heartily hello to all the old gang... and drinks on me!

Stormfly
05-19-11, 10:13 PM
champagne for campaign :D ...and welcome back :arrgh!:

...campaign is in progress, maybe not full SH3 like but there is a first mediterrain test version out and still much to do for it i think, but Zedi is on it.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=182964

Importing SH4 ships at current...

did you had a look on your creak sound mod for SH5 ? ...it seams that there are still some problems regarding limited selection range in shuffeling creak sounds (still only 4 it seams), but maybe there are other solutions for that in the future.

urfisch
05-20-11, 03:27 AM
thanks for the update!

Adriatico
05-20-11, 04:57 AM
You guys forced me to order SH5... my wife is gonna kill you:up:

Philipp_Thomsen
05-20-11, 06:08 AM
champagne for campaign :D ...and welcome back :arrgh!:

...campaign is in progress, maybe not full SH3 like but there is a first mediterrain test version out and still much to do for it i think, but Zedi is on it.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=182964

Importing SH4 ships at current...

did you had a look on your creak sound mod for SH5 ? ...it seams that there are still some problems regarding limited selection range in shuffeling creak sounds (still only 4 it seams), but maybe there are other solutions for that in the future.

Man I really hope something in the line of dinamic continuous campaign is done for SH5, otherwise Im not playing. Mission style? bah...

About the creaks... I've spent countless hours trying to improve the sound part of sh3. IMO, sound one of the (if not THE) most important parts of a game, it decides if the game can be immersive, or not. The creaks and the ambient sound are the two things that gave me the biggest headaches. I wanted the game to rely one 3 different sounds for ambient: 1) Surface, 2) Submerged, 3) Silent running, each state working with a totally different sound file. THEN, I could do miracles with the sound, make the game twice as immersive.

As it is now, being able to work with a single ambient sound, you can't do squat. I have very nice diesel sounds, but cannot used cos if you're submerged it sounds ridiculous. I have very nice german speech and general chatting, but cannot be used cos if you're in silent running, again it sounds ridiculous. And I even have nice ambient and chattering for when in silent running, with whispering and all, but again if you're on the surface doing 15kts in a gunfire, that sounds ridiculous.

As a sound modder I had to watch people develop more and more all the other parts of the game, while I was stuck not being able to do all the stuff that I wanted to do for sh3 and sh4.

Now, with SH5, I didn't have a chance to look into the file system and what tools the devs gave me this time. Maybe SH5 will allow me to do all the stuff I always wanted in terms of sound, and bring the game into a new level.... Maybe not.

I'll try to squeeze some free time (hard to do when you're married) and will take a look at what SH5 allows me to do, and if looks promising, yes, you'll be having a Thomsen's Sound Pack V5. When I was working on V3 and all my other mods, I was single and unemployed, ergo, I had nearly 18 hours a day for sh3 modding. Things were easier back then. :DL

Thanks for the update in the campaign! Anybody else have any words about the campaign?

Stormfly
05-20-11, 06:31 AM
yes, things are changing over time...

regarding your new nice crew voices and if you find the time, i expanded SDBSM with an additional crew sound mod (still beta), the kind of voices are controlable via scripting and crew state, for expample the crew speak different 3D voices if in:

1: Submerged state
2: Normal state
3: Silent Running state
4: Hunter/Hunted state

so maybe you want to have a look (hear) on what is done allready with SDBSM and contribute some expansions for it (maybe working on module like little projects fitting also into your current ammount of freetime).

...atm the work on SDBSM is on hold because there are new "real crew" scripts in work by TDW, and until this is finished it would make no sence working on it because most of the SDBSM entys have to be reinjected into them.

maybe you find some time looking into your creak sounds for SH5, as i wasnt able to play more then 4 shuffeling creaks atm, we need sond trigger`s for different depts, to be able "dept group shuffeling" your creaks :arrgh!:

SDBSM: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=164552

Busby
05-20-11, 06:52 AM
you know, "Do this, then come back, then I'll tell you what to do next" style of campaign is just plain boring and arcadish.

That's marriage for you!

Philipp_Thomsen
05-20-11, 01:55 PM
That's marriage for you!

LOL!

I was refering to the campaign... but I catch your drift!

@Stormfly => I had a vision... it was random creaks for any depth, and with over 40 sounds I made, I had calculated a 4 million possible combination for the creaks, making it always a new experience.

Sadly, it turned out to be a failure. At least in SH3 and 4

Stormfly
05-20-11, 04:02 PM
LOL!

I was refering to the campaign... but I catch your drift!

@Stormfly => I had a vision... it was random creaks for any depth, and with over 40 sounds I made, I had calculated a 4 million possible combination for the creaks, making it always a new experience.

Sadly, it turned out to be a failure. At least in SH3 and 4

yep, but we are further in our wishes, we want the creaks to be grouped, able to have them fitting but group shuffeled at different depts, because it wouldnt be nice having heavy scary creaks at 30 meters... ;)

Philipp_Thomsen
05-20-11, 10:36 PM
yep, but we are further in our wishes, we want the creaks to be grouped, able to have them fitting but group shuffeled at different depts, because it wouldnt be nice having heavy scary creaks at 30 meters... ;)

Indeed.

I don't see why the devs didn't work on this. SOOO much work in unnecessary parts of the game, while another parts are left undone. And it's so damn simple to fix this.

Don't know if we can, tho. Do we have the tools?

I gotta start looking into that.