PDA

View Full Version : Torpedous always passing right in front of the ship

Xrundel
05-07-11, 07:22 PM
Hello.
I am new here.
I am kind of type that trying to find solution myself before bugging anyone about it. But I can't find anything about this problem and this is absolutely frustrating.
Here is the story.
I got the game, installed it and played for 5 days unmodded. I am ex-navy officer so naturally I used manual targeting, ploting course of target, determine location of the target where I will input AOB and exact distance into TDC and shortly after that I fire torpedoes and they hit exactly where I aim (where I put periscope's crosshair, like middle of the ship or whatever I choose). And I am talking about distances in 2000m-4500m range. I was able to hit aircraft carrier from distance of 7500m setting torpedoes to slowest speed for extended range, no problem.
Problems started after I decided to mod my game.
I've made a mistake by adding several mods at the same time. One should do one at the time, test everything - then say "OK" to install another one. And so on. Anyway - I've installed NewUIs_TDC_6_5_0_ByTheDarkWraith (of course!) and I did install another little mod that convert kilometers into nautical miles (that kilometers distances in this game is really odd for sailor).
Right after that I just could not hit a single ship, no matter how hard I try and how precise my preparations would be. I even did unthinkable for a real immersion into the realism of the game - I've paused it, checking and double checking all the data I send into TDC! Still my torpedoes would missed and every time they will pass in front of the ship and every time looks like my consistency was just fine. They will always go to same point. But this point would not be a middle of the ship but like half ship length in front of it. Obviously something were wrong with calculating solution on TDC end.
At this moment Ive got enough, my game play just halted, I can't complete all those missions by using only deck gun or getting within 500m to the target and shot it at blank range.
First Ive decided that that little mod Km/Mi screwed up everything. if distance id 1.8 times longer/shorter than it is TDC could easy miscalculate real expected position of the target at the moment of torpedo arrival.
I've removed it - nothing change.
Ive removed every mode - same thing.
Ive uninstall game, clean up manually everything I could. Re-install game again. Just in case I installed older version of NewUIs_TDC_6_3_7. Because 6_5_0 were also crashing the game when I use stadimeter for second time trying to determine distance etc. Moment after you aligned images and do left-click - game and launcher just seize to exist - you back to windows screen like game wasn't even there just a second ago.
So I was thinking maybe very new version got some glitches - I better stick to one that is tested by community for months by now. So 6_3_7 it is.
But guess what? Torpedoes still running in front of the ship. I've made extensive research by saving game before attack and running it over and over. It looks like gyro angle of the torpedo is wrong by about 2 degrees. If I can compensate for it by aiming behind the ship - I hit just fine right in the middle. or If I reduce EXACTLY CALCULATED PLOTTED ON THE MAP AOB by 10-12 degrees (like if exact AOB is 60 I have to subtracts 10 so we have 50) - then I hit just fine as well.
Another weird thing - if I am using stadimeter exclusively (works fine this time) - without even using map - just taking two measurements and "navigator" is calculating speed, AOB etc... - that calculated AOB is always 10-12 degrees LESS than actual AOB if you check it using the map and I can shot and hit most of the time. The only problem is - stadimeter is useful on relatively short distances( 4000m and less) otherwise it is hard to get right readings - image is too small.

Anyone can help me, please? Any healthy ideas out there? I am ready go as deep as using hex editor to fix this. I can't open up original .cab files on game's DVD - my winrar does not want to open them for some reason. This way I would just manually replace all the TDC-related files hoping to hit corrupted one.
Thank you for your time!

Gerald
05-07-11, 07:28 PM
:salute:

jwilliams
05-07-11, 07:38 PM
Have you added any skill points to crew members?

E.g. increase torp speed and damage?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1849

Athlonic's TSAF Mod : Torpedo_Speed_Abilitie_Fix_for_TDC_SH5_v120

version : 1.0
released : 13 may 2010
Language : ALL

Hi, I've made this simple little mod to fix torpedoes speeds changes when using torpedoes officer's abilities so they no longer mess with manual TDC.
Because the TDC doesn't actually take these speeds changes into account, so you may miss even with a good calculated solution.

Xrundel
05-07-11, 08:20 PM
Have you added any skill points to crew members?

E.g. increase torp speed and damage?

Yes I did! I always take good care of my crew! :)
Let me try that little mod, maybe it is all that needed (hopefully)
You have no idea what lengths I am ready to go to immerse into the environment! I've sail in those areas that in this game in real life.
At this point I follow next rules for better realism:
1. Never ever pause the game for purpose of attack/defense preparations.
( It's like signaling to the enemy ship "Would you please knock you speed down to zero - my weapons officer is in the bathroom right now. He got a diarrhea. We need a couple of extra minutes then we'll be ready to sink you).
2. Never shave until patrol is over ( does not matter if you need go to work and come back play later).
3. After third day on patrol and until it's over - can food only. ( so I stacked up pantry in my house)

LOL

I am glad it is for entertainment only. Still remember washing ship off the puke after just 3 degree (out of maximim 5) storm in North See. Waves were as high as about 5-6 story buildings. I don't remember exact high of the ships bow, it was pretty high for the 1-rank missle heavy cruser (USSR ranking). But waves was covering it. I remember just peeking at it, shutting the door and go back inside. But at this moment in my life (I were 19) I went from 100% atheist into more or less religious person. That power has nothing to do with humans. It's all in hands of Almighty.

Thanks again - I give it a try and let you know.

jwilliams
05-07-11, 08:31 PM
Yes I did! I always take good care of my crew! :)
Let me try that little mod, maybe it is all that needed (hopefully)
You have no idea what lengths I am ready to go to immerse into the environment! I've sail in those areas that in this game in real life.
At this point I follow next rules for better realism:
1. Never ever pause the game for purpose of attack/defense preparations.
( It's like signaling to the enemy ship "Would you please knock you speed down to zero - my weapons officer is in the bathroom right now. He got a diarrhea. We need a couple of extra minutes then we'll be ready to sink you).
2. Never shave until patrol is over ( does not matter if you need go to work and come back play later).
3. After third day on patrol and until it's over - can food only. ( so I stacked up pantry in my house)

LOL

I am glad it is for entertainment only. Still remember washing ship off the puke after just 3 degree (out of maximim 5) storm in North See. Waves were as high as about 5-6 story buildings. I don't remember exact high of the ships bow, it was pretty high for the 1-rank missle heavy cruser (USSR ranking). But waves was covering it. I remember just peeking at it, shutting the door and go back inside. But at this moment in my life (I were 19) I went from 100% atheist into more or less religious person. That power has nothing to do with humans. It's all in hands of Almighty.

Thanks again - I give it a try and let you know.

I also play at full realism.... But maybe not quite to the extent of not shaving and only eating tinned food. :D

And Welcome aboard. :salute:

Good Hunting.

Xrundel
05-07-11, 10:32 PM
Thanks, it worked out like a charm! I am back into the sniper mode - just sunk troop transport from 4500m distance no problem. :up: