PDA

View Full Version : Hydrophone Depth

Dignan
03-25-11, 07:32 AM
I'm running the "no hyrdophones on surface" mod (included in one of my other mods. IRAI I think). It works, but not I noticed that my sonarman can't hear anything when I'm at periscope depth. Whether it's realistic or not, I would prefer to be able to hear sound contacts at periscope depth.

Can anyone tell me what file I need to edit to change the effective depth of the hydrophone?

stoianm
03-25-11, 07:45 AM
I'm running the "no hyrdophones on surface" mod (included in one of my other mods. IRAI I think). It works, but not I noticed that my sonarman can't hear anything when I'm at periscope depth. Whether it's realistic or not, I would prefer to be able to hear sound contacts at periscope depth.

Can anyone tell me what file I need to edit to change the effective depth of the hydrophone?
Go at 15-16 metters depth... this way you can use the attack scope and the hydro in the same time

Dignan
03-25-11, 08:25 AM
Go at 15-16 metters depth... this way you can use the attack scope and the hydro in the same time

Ok. I may try to edit the file myself if possible. I really would like to have hydro capability at the default periscope depth. Thanks.

d3vnu11
03-25-11, 09:27 AM

Did the Attack Periscope really extend 15m high ? Always seemed to high thought it was more like 12-13M

stoianm
03-25-11, 09:38 AM
Did the Attack Periscope really extend 15m high ? Always seemed to high thought it was more like 12-13M
yes i can see if i raise at 16 metters... dunno what is in real life the max high for the attack scope

Trevally.
03-25-11, 11:58 AM
The mod "U-boot Historical Specifaction 1.4" set most boat settings to historical values.

This mod is within MO:up:

Dignan
03-25-11, 12:53 PM
The mod "U-boot Historical Specifaction 1.4" set most boat settings to historical values.

This mod is within MO:up:

If I want to use UHS with IRAI, FX Update, BRF and NewUI/TDC where should I put it in the mod lineup? First, last, middle somewhere?

MiTon
03-25-11, 12:53 PM
Normaly I'm going to 25 to 30m. Sonarrange is quite ok there, but my sonarguy should get a hearing aid.
I'm running TDW's SH5.exe patch 0.2 but he reports no contacts when I still can hear the traget sitting at the hydrophone personaly.:damn:
Does someone have a solution for this behaviour?

@stoainm
Sober posted this link earlier but you should have a look at this site:
http://www.uboatarchive.net (http://www.uboatarchive.net/)
under
http://www.uboatarchive.net/Manual.htm
you can find a manual of an Type VIIC!

In german but offers a lot of info on german subs, kaleuns and there crews:
http://www.u-boot-zentrale.de (http://www.u-boot-zentrale.de/)

Greets

stoianm
03-25-11, 12:57 PM
Normaly I'm going to 25 to 30m. Sonarrange is quite ok there, but my sonarguy should get a hearing aid.
I'm running TDW's SH5.exe patch 0.2 but he reports no contacts when I still can hear the traget sitting at the hydrophone personaly.:damn:
Does someone have a solution for this behaviour?

@stoainm
Sober posted this link earlier but you should have a look at this site:
http://www.uboatarchive.net (http://www.uboatarchive.net/)
under
http://www.uboatarchive.net/Manual.htm
you can find a manual of an Type VIIC!

In german but offers a lot of info on german subs, kaleuns and there crews:
http://www.u-boot-zentrale.de (http://www.u-boot-zentrale.de/)

Greets

Trevally.
03-25-11, 12:59 PM
If I want to use UHS with IRAI, FX Update, BRF and NewUI/TDC where should I put it in the mod lineup? First, last, middle somewhere?

Should be:-
UHS
UI by TDW
FX by TDW
FX with BFR full by TDW
FX with UHS by TDW
IRAI by TDW
Depth fix by TDW - would go here if you wanted to use it:up:

Sorry I have noy used the correct name:oops:

Edit: fixed order

dcb
03-25-11, 01:06 PM

I noticed the same behavior, which I find totally unrealistic IMO.:down: At 12 meters depth the hydrophone should work without any problem, as historically documented. And I don't think the best solution is "tweak the periscope to extend 16 meters, only to have both hydrophone and peri working," in a community where about every second post is about "we want more realism."

MiTon
03-25-11, 01:14 PM
UHS
FX by TDW
FX with BFR full by TDW
FX with UHS by TDW
UI by TDW
IRAI by TDW
Depth fix by TDW - would go here if you wanted to use it:up:

Sorry I have noy used the correct name:oops:

so what's the correct order now?

I thought it has changed like stoianm posted in IRAI thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=171973&page=60

Dignan
03-25-11, 01:35 PM
so what's the correct order now?

I thought it has changed like stoianm posted in IRAI thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=171973&page=60

Thanks for the list Trevally. I could be mistaken but I think the order is now to have NewUI before FX Update. Either way, you've told me that UHS goes before BOTH of them so that's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

oscar19681
03-25-11, 01:40 PM
I find it irritating that you cant hear anything on periscope depth. This way i either have to go to 30 meters to listen , or go to periscope depth and see if i can spot the convoy. It should be both so i can work more effectivly.

Trevally.
03-25-11, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the list Trevally. I could be mistaken but I think the order is now to have NewUI before FX Update. Either way, you've told me that UHS goes before BOTH of them so that's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Yes you are correct sorry - FX is after UI:up:

UHS
UI by TDW
FX by TDW
FX with BFR full by TDW
FX with UHS by TDW
IRAI by TDW
Depth fix by TDW

kalijav
04-14-11, 03:13 AM
I just started experiencing the same issue. Any of you guys managed to get it to work ?

I've been thinking that maybe it's an issue with the no hydro on surface.
There are two mods I have that are changing this:
IRAI_0_0_30_No_hydrophone_on_surface_No_Aircraft_s potting
NewUIs_TDC_6_4_0_No_Hydrophone_On_Surface_No_Aircr aft_Spotting
Which one should I use ?

Should it be before the depth keeping mod of TDW ?

stoianm
04-14-11, 03:33 AM
I just started experiencing the same issue. Any of you guys managed to get it to work ?

I've been thinking that maybe it's an issue with the no hydro on surface.
There are two mods I have that are changing this:
NewUIs_TDC_6_4_0_No_Hydrophone_On_Surface_No_Aircr aft_Spotting
Which one should I use ?

Should it be before the depth keeping mod of TDW ?
use this one

the right order:
NewUIs_TDC_6_4_0_ByTheDarkWraith
FX_Update_0_0_16_2_ByTheDarkWraith
FX_Update_0_0_16_2_UHS_Fix
IRAI_0_0_30_ByTheDarkWraith
Depth_Keeping_Problem_UHS_patch_HB_1_0_0_TheDarkWr aith

kalijav
04-14-11, 04:03 AM
Ok, I will try that this evening when I'm back home, I hope it will fix the issue because I can't have visual on my target, and I can't fire the torpedoes where I can spot the target with hydro. Kind of annoying to shoot the torpedoes at the right moment. :D

oscar19681
04-14-11, 05:41 AM
yes i can see if i raise at 16 metters... dunno what is in real life the max high for the attack scope

I find it hard to believe that the periscope could extend to 16 m

stoianm
04-14-11, 05:48 AM
i am sure that at 15 metters was extented... and actually i think this is the most immersive depth for periscope depth... or maybe you want to put you at 12 and to be seen in diferent sea condition?:D

kalijav
04-14-11, 05:49 AM

IIRC, I could dive 15 meters and still see a bit in the scope, but barely. After that it was simply not possible to see anything, it maybe depends on the sea's condition.

stoianm
04-14-11, 06:03 AM
IIRC, I could dive 15 meters and still see a bit in the scope, but barely. After that it was simply not possible to see anything, it maybe depends on the sea's condition.
ok... than 14 metters will be the most immersive:D

Dignan
04-14-11, 06:25 AM

I agree. I always thought the attack periscope raises too high in SH5. Not sure if it's a mod or stock. It looks ridiculous when it's raised all the way. There's no way it would fit down into the sub when retracted. I think I remember seeing a mod that changes this....something like "realistic periscopes"

jwilliams
04-14-11, 06:59 AM

The 16 meters is a measurement from the keel of the boat. General characteristics (Type VIIC) Height: 9.60 m. Therefor its only extending 6.4 meters.

From looking around the net I found that in the "Naval Service Manual 381 - U-Boat Training for U-Boat Type VII C"

attack periscope above keel = 14663 mm
search periscope above keel = 11999 mm

So I'd say 16 meters is close enough.

jwilliams
04-14-11, 09:28 AM
I agree. I always thought the attack periscope raises too high in SH5. Not sure if it's a mod or stock. It looks ridiculous when it's raised all the way. There's no way it would fit down into the sub when retracted. I think I remember seeing a mod that changes this....something like "realistic periscopes"

Yes... It is too high.

Can easily be changed.
Here's how :-
First make a back up of your Data folder.

Using goblinEditor open the file "UBoot_Sensors.GR2" data\objects\sensors
Then choose merge from the file menu.
select "UBoot_sensors.sim" data\objects\sensors

Then in the project tree double click on "obj_Extensible @ atack_periscop_wire"
Click on obj_Extensible
And change the max height (It was at 8 meters. I changed mine to 4.6 meters).

Save

kalijav
04-15-11, 12:50 AM
Still no luck after changing the mod's order, are you having the same issue stoianm, or is it working fine for you ?

divittor
04-15-11, 02:32 AM
Came across this problem earlier whereby the hydrophone was not working at periscope depth.
The IRAI version of no hydrophone on surface was the culprit.

I believe if u use the UI version instead this corrects the problem.

I remember posting a bug report on this either in IRAI or UI thread but never got any acknowledgement.

Hope this helps:salute:

stoianm
04-15-11, 02:35 AM
Still no luck after changing the mod's order, are you having the same issue stoianm, or is it working fine for you ?
soryy i think i miss your problem... what kind of issue do you have... i was speaking about periscope just ipotetic

kalijav
04-15-11, 02:53 AM
Well, the hydro is not working above 15 meters, I'm now wondering if it's normal or not. I can still shoot at that depth but when order peri depth it goes at like 12 meters, where the hydro is not working anymore.

stoianm
04-15-11, 02:57 AM
Well, the hydro is not working above 15 meters, I'm now wondering if it's normal or not. I can still shoot at that depth but when order peri depth it goes at like 12 meters, where the hydro is not working anymore.
irai no hydro at surface make hydro to work after 15 metters

Dignan
04-15-11, 06:50 AM
Yes... It is too high.

Can easily be changed.
Here's how :-
First make a back up of your Data folder.

Using goblinEditor open the file "UBoot_Sensors.GR2" data\objects\sensors
Then choose merge from the file menu.
select "UBoot_sensors.sim" data\objects\sensors

Then in the project tree double click on "obj_Extensible @ atack_periscop_wire"
Click on obj_Extensible
And change the max height (It was at 8 meters. I changed mine to 4.6 meters).

Save

Thanks for this. I was able to fix my periscope height (changed it to 5 instead of 8).

I also used it to get rid of the radio rod. FYI, BEAST did create a submod to get rid of the radio rod in his new equipment addition mod incase anyone wants a ready-made mod to do this.

ddrgn
04-15-11, 09:30 PM
Thanks for this. I was able to fix my periscope height (changed it to 5 instead of 8).

I also used it to get rid of the radio rod. FYI, BEAST did create a submod to get rid of the radio rod in his new equipment addition mod incase anyone wants a ready-made mod to do this.

If you guys refer to TDW's rotating round and rod antenna, than its an easy fix to keep it above water and also not see it underwater.....

Just add the VisableUnderWater controller to both the round and rod behaviours and set them both to false.........