PDA

View Full Version : rsrd/tmo, all task forces, no merchants

stephenf555
03-17-11, 08:39 AM
Hi folks,
Was on patrol last night and hunting for merchants to sink to complete my patrol. I couldn't find any merchants even though I sailed around to my various patrol points for days and days. The only contacts I encountered were lots of aircraft as usual, and I met 2 task forces. When I met the task forces the DDs were heading towards me by the time I received the contact, presumably because of the cruisers radar, so it was a matter of duck and cover.

So, question, with rsrd (and tmo) is there a big reduction in the number of sole merchants wandering around? Maybe it was just coincidence last night but normally I don't sail around for more than 36 hours before bumping into some merchants, alone or in convoy.

Happy St. Patrick's Day :ping:
Stephen

cdrsubron7
03-17-11, 04:27 PM
What date was it and what area were you patrolling?

stephenf555
03-17-11, 06:07 PM
it was early '42 (possibly Jan/Feb) and patrol areas were a lot of places including outside Makassar, in the Java Sea north of Surabaya, East China Sea and the Luzon Straight. And in all that patrolling I only came across 2 task forces and nothing else (except for lots of aircraft)

cdrsubron7
03-17-11, 07:45 PM
it was early '42 (possibly Jan/Feb) and patrol areas were a lot of places including outside Makassar, in the Java Sea north of Surabaya, East China Sea and the Luzon Straight. And in all that patrolling I only came across 2 task forces and nothing else (except for lots of aircraft)

RSRD is noted for a lack of merchants early in the war, but things will pick up. Escpecially in the beginning of the war the Japanese Merchant Marine were busy carrying the invasion forces as the Japanese spread southward.

Armistead
03-21-11, 10:05 AM
Not sure how you missed all the large invasion forces near Java late feb 42, some convoys over 50 ships. A lil north of Semarang.

Actually Makassar is a poor shipping lane. 42 I find the best convoys near Bismark, not to mention all the invasion forces for the Solomons and Port Moresby.

RSRD spawns random traffic, but at a much lower rate. It spawns over 1000 realistic convoys. If you want tankers, Singy is the best place, sit outside the Bungo, places like that.

I'm goin' down
03-21-11, 12:25 PM
Why, oh why, would any captain complaoin about the opportunity to confront a TF? Here are the advantages. 1. Potential to delay or stop the Japanese offensive threat. 2. Opportunity for lots of tonnage. 3. Renown. 4. Medals to wear at supper to impress the wife and kids, and you can wear them at the FRATERNAL ORDER OF MOOSES , formerly the Racoons, that meets on the third Wednesday of each month.

Slyguy3129
03-21-11, 12:54 PM
Thats one of the genius things about RSRD. Early in the war with all the invasion targets are hard to find unless you find an invasion fleet.

Later in the war when the Japs were trying to supply all those guys, you'll be ripe with targets. As was mentioned it also depends on where you patrol and how you like to play. Me, unless I get the patrol an area of your choosing message I stick to where they send me. Just house rules by me. Sometimes makes for boring patrols but hey sometimes it was a long trip for nothing for these guys.