PDA

View Full Version : [TEC] SH5.exe patches to fix bugs and add functionality

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Beltza
07-21-13, 02:32 PM
The game has unlimited potential. It just needs a little TLC and time :yep: I'm having a blast turning it into what it should've been on release day.

Bravo, TDW. Your words and your work is our hope. All the 24Flotilla thanks you.

Sjizzle
07-21-13, 03:13 PM
idk if it's help but it's almost imposible to calculate the angel with that sextan cos u can't look enough up and u can calculate the horizontal angel only the vertical ... ( if the stars or moon are not to high if they are too high u can't calculate the angel cos u can't look up too high )

Moon Shot Example

Lets say this is the data:
DR position Lat = 44.025° N, Lon = -67.850° W
Eye height = 2 meters Greenwich date 7/15/2001
Index correction IC = +3.4’
Time of observation UTC = 14h 20m 21s
Sextant measured altitude of the moon Hs = 44° 22.1’ Upper Limb (UL)
Altitude corrections from moon correction tables, in two parts:
CorrDIP = -2.5’
CorrALT = +50.9’ + 3.2’ –30.0’ (the –30’ is for using the UL) = 24.1’
True altitude Ho = 44° 22.1’ + 3.4’ -2.5’ +24.1’ = 44° 47.1’ = 44.7850°
From the almanac tabular data, at the 14th hour July 15 2001:
GHA table = 100° 23.7’ v = +12.2’
DEC table = +12° 9.4’ N d = +11.2’ HP = 56.8’
Increment of GHA for the 20 minutes and 21 seconds CorrGHA = 4° 51.3’
Additional increment due to variation v Corrv = 4.2’
GHA = 100° 23.7’ + 4° 51.3’ + 4.2’ = 105° 19.2’ = 105.3200°
Increment of DEC for 20 minutes due to rate d is Corrd = +3.8’
DEC = +12° 9.4’ + 3.8’ = 12° 13.2’ = 12.2200°
Calculations:
Local Hour angle LHA = GHA + Lon = 105.32° + - 67.850° = 37.470°
Calculated Altitude
Hc = arcSin[ Sin(12.22°) x Sin(44.025°) + Cos(44.025°) x Cos(12.22°) x Cos( 37.470°) ]
Hc = 44.817° = 44° 49.0’
Intercept Offset distance Doffset = 60 x (44.368° –44.817°) = -2.0 n mile
Offset the assumed LOP away from the moon’s azimuth.
Calculated Azimuth direction of moon
Zo = arcCos[{Sin(12.22 °) – Sin(44.025°) x Sin(44.817°)}/{Cos(44.025°) x Cos(44.817°)}]
Zo = 123°, and since 0 < LHA <180 (post-meridian), Zn = 360 - Zo = 237°

Star Shot Example

You took a shot of Deneb in the constellation of Cygnus, morning twilight:
DR position Lat = 44.025° N, Lon = -67.850° W
Eye height = 2 meters Greenwich date 7/15/2001
Index correction IC = +3.4’
Time of observation UTC = 8h 31m 24s
Sextant measured altitude of Deneb, Hs = 59° 47.8’
Altitude corrections from the abridged corrections table:
CorrDIP = -2.5’
CorrALT = -0.5’
True altitude Ho = 59° 47.8’ +3.4’ –2.5’ – 0.5’ = 59° 48.2’ = 59.8033°
From the almanac tabular data, at the 8th hour July 15 2001:
GHAAries table = 53° 14.4’ SHADENEB = 49° 37.4’
DECDENEB = +45° 17.1’ N

No v or d corrections for stars
Increment of GHA for the 31 minutes and 24 seconds CorrGHA = 7° 52.3’
GHA = 53° 14.4’ + 7° 52.3’ + 49° 37.4’ = 110° 44.1’ = 110.735°
DEC = DECDENEB = +45° 17.1’ N = +45.2850°
Calculations:
Local Hour angle LHA = GHA + Lon = 110.735° + – 67.850° = 42.885°
Calculated Altitude
Hc = arcSin[ Sin(45.285°) x Sin(44.025°) + Cos(44.025°) x Cos(45.285°) x Cos( 42.885°) ]
Hc = 59.830° = 59° 49.8’
Intercept Offset distance Doffset = 60 x (59.8033° –59.830°) = –1.6 n mile
Offset the assumed LOP away from the star’s azimuth.
Calculated Azimuth direction of star
Zo = arcCos[{Sin(45.2850°) – Sin(44.025°) x Sin(59.83°)}/{Cos(44.025°) x Cos(59.83°)}]
Zo = 72°, and since 0 < LHA <180 (post-meridian), Zn = 360 - Zo = 288°

gap
07-21-13, 03:15 PM
The angle val is the number of vertical graduations on the scope. I'm trying to figure out what each vertical separation mark is in degrees currently.

I see the ticker tape for the vertical graduations has 40 marks on it (from periscope dds file). I don't understand what the AngularAngle means for the camera when viewing in Goblin. It has something to do with FOV that's for sure but what? If I can figure out how all the AngularAngle and ticker tape goes together then I can code something to return the true angle. I can read all the camera parameters in memory so that's no issue.

Let's assume that the AngularAngle setting is the horizontal FOV and that it is relative to a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels. In order to know the angular distance between each vertical graduation mark, you should measure the distance in pixels between two marks, multiply it by AngularAngle, and divide the result by 1024 :hmm2:

rolandslaw
07-21-13, 03:25 PM
I have to have something that I can test on my own computer using the debugger or I'll never be able to help you. You have to give me specifics and some way to reproduce what you're experiencing.

TDW: Thank you for reply. I think i will try first trying another mission with same mod list and if that does not work... try your latest version of generic patcher... I have all the original release files saved :<)

I will report back my results... I will not do this evening the 21st. I have to start a probate file and finish another... so I am looking at Tuesday:<)

Thank you

Rol

TheDarkWraith
07-21-13, 03:32 PM
Let's assume that the AngularAngle setting is the horizontal FOV and that it is relative to a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels. In order to know the angular distance between each vertical graduation mark, you should measure the distance in pixels between two marks, multiply it by AngularAngle, and divide the result by 1024 :hmm2:

Maybe. I really don't know.

I had to clear my head so I took one of the motorcycles out for a little ride. I was riding next to the river enjoying the view and beautiful day when it hit me...I'm making this harder than it needs to be. All I need to do is find the camera's view matrix and extract the pitch from it. Now to find the camera's view matrix...

TheDarkWraith
07-21-13, 03:33 PM
idk if it's help but it's almost imposible to calculate the angel with that sextan cos u can't look enough up and u can calculate the horizontal angel only the vertical ... ( if the stars or moon are not to high if they are too high u can't calculate the angel cos u can't look up too high )

Yep. It's time to add a zoom power < 1 to the scopes :yep:

gap
07-21-13, 03:42 PM
Yep. It's time to add a zoom power < 1 to the scopes :yep:

At low magnification levels most stars would disappear, and precision would get risible. If only we were allowed to align scope's horizontal line with the horizon, click to confirm, pan the scope vertically, align the line with the desired star, and click again for getting star elevation...

Sjizzle
07-21-13, 04:18 PM
@TDW past 100% the bearing but i can't mesure the angel cos the moon it's too high the moon angel must be +22 degree at 02. sep. 1939 in Danzing bay

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/33ab/5catw71ueavaazcfg.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/9f72/l2b7uk037akw6r9fg.jpg

Sjizzle
07-21-13, 04:32 PM
good news TDW all past 100% angel and bearing :rock:

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/4e61/39anwc8pt00x4r3fg.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/f746/w5y1u9eibjk9z4ufg.jpg

TheDarkWraith
07-21-13, 05:30 PM
good news TDW all past 100% angel and bearing :rock:

So it works :huh:? I hope that's what you're telling me so I can quit digging around in the sh5.exe looking for the camera's view matrix.

What about the time, is it correct? Click in the middle of the digital clock to switch it into GMT time.

What does all that mean? How does one unfamiliar with all this know that the angle val in the sextant window is the correct value? I don't see it's value in your screenshot.

chun
07-21-13, 05:34 PM
Hi, great job, I have an idea if you can do:
Manage the interior light red combat will, ie when attacking a target to put the red light while of day, as it was when they attacked the convoy. Do you could do?
TDW Thanks for your hard work and make a great simulator SH5

TheDarkWraith
07-21-13, 05:37 PM
Hi, great job, I have an idea if you can do:
Manage the interior light red combat will, ie when attacking a target to put the red light while of day, as it was when they attacked the convoy. Do you could do?
TDW Thanks for your hard work and make a great simulator SH5

This must be chunen from the 24th flotilla?

This is on my list of things to do. Actually I have many ideas for the lights :up:

chun
07-21-13, 05:45 PM
This must be chunen from the 24th flotilla?
:yep:
Thank you very much for answering and we encourage you to continue your excellent work.

TheDarkWraith
07-21-13, 05:52 PM
At low magnification levels most stars would disappear, and precision would get risible. If only we were allowed to align scope's horizontal line with the horizon, click to confirm, pan the scope vertically, align the line with the desired star, and click again for getting star elevation...

That's basically what you're doing now when using the stadimeter as a sextant. You first place the scope centerline on the horizon, then you press the Enable sextant button, then you ensure TDC is on, then you press the stadimeter button and place the green line on the object you are wanting the angle of. Read out angle val.

I'm not saying we go to ridiculously low zoom levels. I'm going to try a 1.0X power and a 0.75X and 0.5X and see what happens.

TheDarkWraith
07-21-13, 05:55 PM
@Sjizzle: I'm going to make a special cameras.dat file for you so you can 'shoot' higher stars and the moon and verify if everything is still working correctly. I'll post a link when it's ready. Won't take long to do.

TheDarkWraith
07-21-13, 06:08 PM
Here is a cameras.cam file that has the following zoom levels for the OBS scope:

0.75 (game calls it 0.8 - rounding)

http://www.mediafire.com/?n4rh25gl0cmeb9l

Unzip and place in \data\Library (backup your old one first!)

This was taken at Brest harbor using 0.5 zoom level:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=755&pictureid=6831

You can see all the stars just fine :up: They are much brighter in game.

Those marking lines annoy me. I know in the code where they get rendered and I'm going to add a new command to the game that will allow them to be switched on/off.

I'm thinking about adding a digital readout for the current scope heading. What do you think? I think you need this accuracy for shooting the stars. I'll have the digital readout show in the sextant window.

EDIT:

just checked the angle val at all the different zoom levels on a single star. The angle val reported the exact same reading at each zoom level. This is good!!!!

What other information should I display in the sextant window? Angle val, digital readout of heading, and ?

In case you weren't aware pressing either shift or ctrl (don't remember which one it is) while moving the sextant will give you more precision

Fifi
07-21-13, 09:12 PM
That's a nice feature, but i agree with Gap about not using it with scopes :)
My idea would be of some more work though :D
It would be more cool to have an additional view for a kind of binocular (like a sextant lens) working only outside (on deck) with your new stadi feature...

Sjizzle
07-21-13, 10:41 PM
Here is a cameras.cam file that has the following zoom levels for the OBS scope:

0.75 (game calls it 0.8 - rounding)

http://www.mediafire.com/?n4rh25gl0cmeb9l

Unzip and place in \data\Library (backup your old one first!)

This was taken at Brest harbor using 0.5 zoom level:

You can see all the stars just fine :up: They are much brighter in game.

Those marking lines annoy me. I know in the code where they get rendered and I'm going to add a new command to the game that will allow them to be switched on/off.

I'm thinking about adding a digital readout for the current scope heading. What do you think? I think you need this accuracy for shooting the stars. I'll have the digital readout show in the sextant window.

EDIT:

just checked the angle val at all the different zoom levels on a single star. The angle val reported the exact same reading at each zoom level. This is good!!!!

What other information should I display in the sextant window? Angle val, digital readout of heading, and ?

In case you weren't aware pressing either shift or ctrl (don't remember which one it is) while moving the sextant will give you more precision

in 3h i will make some test now i am at work here i can't cos this crap computers from work can't handel SH5

Sgtmonkeynads
07-21-13, 10:53 PM
Hi guys , once again thanks for your work.

I've been trying to tweak my system lately and finally noticed that sh5 does not support crossfire? I had it going before though I had to rename the exe file to something like fear.exe

Once I remembered do do this , I thought crap, the patcher won't work because it looks for sh5 exe not anything else.

Is there anyway around this. It does enable the crossfire to Wouk? But then I loose all the functionality of the patcher.

Just asking for advise, is there a way to switch the name of the file the patcher looks for?

TheDarkWraith
07-21-13, 11:00 PM
Hi guys , once again thanks for your work.

I've been trying to tweak my system lately and finally noticed that sh5 does not support crossfire? I had it going before though I had to rename the exe file to something like fear.exe

Once I remembered do do this , I thought crap, the patcher won't work because it looks for sh5 exe not anything else.

Is there anyway around this. It does enable the crossfire to Wouk? But then I loose all the functionality of the patcher.

Just asking for advise, is there a way to switch the name of the file the patcher looks for?

I have a real simple solution for you:

Open up the \Patches\SH5\TDW_SH5_Patches.s5p file.

Find this at the beginning of the file:

; the file being patched
[FILE]
File=sh5.exe

change the File= to whatever you have called it.

TheDarkWraith
07-21-13, 11:18 PM
Added another new command to the game: Toggle_marking_lines.

When invoked it will toggle the marking lines on/off for the scope in use:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=755&pictureid=6832

Much easier to take sextant readings when those marking lines aren't in your way (especially at low zoom levels - I'm at 0.5X here)!

I've also added the bearing: to the sextant window. When you click on Enable sextant the current bearing will be read and displayed in the Bearing: entry. I figured it probably would be good to have some precision for the bearing also.

TheDarkWraith
07-21-13, 11:22 PM
That's a nice feature, but i agree with Gap about not using it with scopes :)
My idea would be of some more work though :D
It would be more cool to have an additional view for a kind of binocular (like a sextant lens) working only outside (on deck) with your new stadi feature...

I can change menu item's textures on the fly. I developed that some time ago in one of my DLLs. I could change the texture of the scope display when you invoke the sextant :hmmm:

I could see if I can make the sextant only available on the UZO. How's that?

TheDarkWraith
07-22-13, 12:07 AM
test version 1.0.140.0 released. See here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2086626&postcount=2450

If you already followed the directions from test version 1.0.134.0 you do not need to do them again. You are safe to just go ahead and use this new test version.

THE_MASK
07-22-13, 12:08 AM
Wouldnt binoculars be better ? I play with stabilised view off in the difficulty options .

TheDarkWraith
07-22-13, 12:18 AM
Wouldnt binoculars be better ? I play with stabilised view off in the difficulty options .

That would simulate real life...having to stand outside and take a reading...all the while trying to stabilize your view with the waves...The code doesn't allow that camera view currently. I'll look into it tomorrow :up:

Sgtmonkeynads
07-22-13, 12:19 AM
I have a real simple solution for you:

Open up the \Patches\SH5\TDW_SH5_Patches.s5p file.

Find this at the beginning of the file:

; the file being patched
[FILE]
File=sh5.exe

change the File= to whatever you have called it.

I knew you'd help!

I didn't think I'd be that easy though thanks!
I can't wait to give it a try

TheDarkWraith
07-22-13, 12:21 AM
I knew you'd help!

I didn't think I'd be that easy though thanks!
I can't wait to give it a try

I made the Generic Patcher to be as it's name implies - Generic. It can be used on anything. I use it on many types of software :cool:

Fifi
07-22-13, 01:47 AM
I can change menu item's textures on the fly. I developed that some time ago in one of my DLLs. I could change the texture of the scope display when you invoke the sextant :hmmm:

UZO or binoculars, whatever :yep:
But only on deck, because imo they had to surface to make the sextant point.
UZO should be easier though. It has already a stadimeter...and mine is cleaner than the binos :D

gap
07-22-13, 04:50 AM
I've also added the bearing: to the sextant window. When you click on Enable sextant the current bearing will be read and displayed in the Bearing: entry. I figured it probably would be good to have some precision for the bearing also.

-Two decimal points should be enough. :up:

- Can you add a compass to the scope view, when the sextant is enabled? This way, aligning it with the true north would be way easier. A second bearing scale with the 0 centered on the north would be enough (or just replace the bearing scale with the compass) :yep:

- If possible, sextant bearing measurements should be relative to an input point; i.e. you align scope's vertical line and stadimeter horizontal line with the reference point, and click a given button/key combination to confirm current reference point; then you pan scope to the desired celestial body, and angle/bearing relative to the first point are updated on the fly. This way we could also measure the angular distance between two stars without need of calculations.

- You should label the reported "Angle" as "Altitude" (Alt) or "Elevation" (El)

- You should label the reported "Bearing" as "Azimuth" (Az)

That would simulate real life...having to stand outside and take a reading...all the while trying to stabilize your view with the waves...The code doesn't allow that camera view currently. I'll look into it tomorrow :up:

Imo the best way to implemet the sextant in the interface would be as follows:

- Add a new command button to your UI mod, or take the one currently used for the old sextant, if you prefer.

- Make it only active on deck.

- Make it to invoke the the binocular or the UZO.

- Make it to change binocular/UZO mask to the desired one, on the fly.

- Make it to switch unneeded graticules off by default.

- If TDC on is needed by your code, make it to switch TDC on.

- If stadimeter enabled is needed by your code, make it to enable the stadimeter straight away.

- When we exit from the stadimeter view: switch the TDC off if it wasn't on before pressing the sextant button, restore default mask, switch additional marking lines on again.

UZO or binoculars, whatever :yep:
But only on deck, because imo they had to surface to make the sextant point.
UZO should be easier though. It has already a stadimeter...and mine is cleaner than the binos :D

Good point. But this brings another topic: if we got to trust the following sources, in real life neither the UZO nor the obs scope had any stadimeter:

QUICK NOTES ABOUT GERMAN WW2 U-BOAT OPTICS (https://www.google.it/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CGAQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sukhoi.ru%2Fforum%2Fattachmen t.php%3Fattachmentid%3D99582%26d%3D1255798351&ei=7P7sUcOFLK3n4QSk0ICABA&usg=AFQjCNGk3MIeTuM6EJ7Js8Wtn-GL_W2Nyg&sig2=mkTjWkmmGi145f3Kllww-w&bvm=bv.49478099,d.bGE) (pdf document)
post by Frederf on this forum (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1316057&postcount=22)

Would be cool if TDW could get rid of them :)

volodya61
07-22-13, 06:01 AM
- You should label the reported "Angle" as "Altitude" (Alt) or "Elevation" (El)

- You should label the reported "Bearing" as "Azimuth" (Az)

Agree :yep:

In Russian the first option is called "Angular height".. is it not so in English? :hmmm:

EDIT: forgot why I came here :), Rus manual - http://www.4sync.com/archive/aQ8fdPoD/Generic_Patcher_manual_RUS__10.html

gap
07-22-13, 06:10 AM
Agree :yep:

Is this a polite way to say that you disagree with the rest of my post? :D

In Russian the first option is called "Angular height".. is it not so in English? :hmmm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_coordinate_system

Sjizzle
07-22-13, 06:23 AM
the old sexstan from TDW_UIs 742 past 100%
in 30 - 40 min i will test also the new TDW_UIs 750 test version 8 to see if past 100% with does new Obs. periscope optics
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2187/wb479sryx6rde7xfg.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/aaf3/xiby3jv6ke0jcw0fg.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/650d/bjaad1q9fudnj4cfg.jpg

gap
07-22-13, 06:38 AM
the old sexstan from TDW_UIs 742 past 100%
in 30 - 40 min i will test also the new TDW_UIs 750 test version 8 to see if past 100% with does new Obs. periscope optics

It seems that someone was wrong about the accuracy of SH's celestial dome :roll: :D

-Two decimal points should be enough. :up:

After a second thought, what about reporting Az/Alt as degrees, minutes and seconds, as Stellarium does? That much precision is not going to be needed probably, but it would make our measurements to look more "professional" :)

volodya61
07-22-13, 07:34 AM
Is this a polite way to say that you disagree with the rest of my post? :D

This is not true and you know it :03:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_coordinate_system

I think we are talking about different terms.. look here..
I think the game gives us exactly the Angular Height

http://s19.postimg.org/dm9furo5f/436px_Azimuth_Altitude_schematic.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Sjizzle
07-22-13, 08:24 AM
now with TDW_UIs 750 test version 9 there is an error of angle 0,46 degree that could be from my scope or i didnt aligne corectly the horizont

This one was mesured with that cameras file wich zoom 0.5, 0.8, 1 etc etc at zoom 1.5 can't calculate the angle cos it's to high

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/24b3/rzzgly9cqc4dus0fg.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2854/8qelr1spuel5kdifg.jpg

Sjizzle
07-22-13, 08:26 AM
@TDW a sugestion for sextan it's not better to mesure the angle when u look up with the uzo periscope binocular ... must only aligne the periscope center to horizont and when u look up will calculate the angel ?

TheDarkWraith
07-22-13, 08:57 AM
@TDW a sugestion for sextan it's not better to mesure the angle when u look up with the uzo periscope binocular ... must only aligne the periscope center to horizont and when u look up will calculate the angel ?

Don't understand :06:

TheDarkWraith
07-22-13, 09:02 AM
Good point. But this brings another topic: if we got to trust the following sources, in real life neither the UZO nor the obs scope had any stadimeter:

QUICK NOTES ABOUT GERMAN WW2 U-BOAT OPTICS (https://www.google.it/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CGAQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sukhoi.ru%2Fforum%2Fattachmen t.php%3Fattachmentid%3D99582%26d%3D1255798351&ei=7P7sUcOFLK3n4QSk0ICABA&usg=AFQjCNGk3MIeTuM6EJ7Js8Wtn-GL_W2Nyg&sig2=mkTjWkmmGi145f3Kllww-w&bvm=bv.49478099,d.bGE) (pdf document)
post by Frederf on this forum (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1316057&postcount=22)

I can make a patch that would let the stadimeter only be used on the attack scope. That's easy to do.

gap
07-22-13, 09:19 AM
I think we are talking about different terms.. look here..
I think the game gives us exactly the Angular Height

http://s19.postimg.org/dm9furo5f/436px_Azimuth_Altitude_schematic.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

yes, as you can see from your picture, that angle is called "altitude" in English (or even "elevation", according to the wikipedia link I have sposted before). In Italian we call it "height". In Russian you call it "angular height".

Different languages, different terminology, same concepts. Luckily editing menu.txt is very easy :up:

Don't understand :06:

I think I know what Sjizzle is suggesting: instead of using the stadimeter, can't we measure star altitudes directly from scope head's pitch, similar to what I was suggesting for azimuth measurement (first we align scope crosshair with the reference point, and then with the desired star/celestial body)?

I can make a patch that would let the stadimeter only be used on the attack scope. That's easy to do.

Yes please :)

Sjizzle
07-22-13, 09:56 AM
I think I know what Sjizzle is suggesting: instead of using the stadimeter, can't we measure star altitudes directly from scope head's pitch, similar to what I was suggesting for azimuth measurement (first we align scope crosshair with the reference point, and then with the desired star/celestial body)?

Exactly

now without that cameras file from TDW past 100% the angel and bearing

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/734f/27hq1d2q4u083evfg.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/ce4f/0sy1y96rba5eo49fg.jpg

TheDarkWraith
07-22-13, 11:58 AM

Not that easy to do. Stadimeter code was already there and was easy enough to manipulate to get it to do what I wanted. While not the best solution it was the easiest to do and it works.

now without that cameras file from TDW past 100% the angel and bearing

That means the game is calibrated for 1.5X zoom. We can use lower zoom levels but one just has to realize that doing so will result in errors (probably same with higher zoom levels). This is probably going to manifest itself again if I change this to the UZO (unless I give the UZO the same zoom level - but then again it's viewport values may be different also). Sjizzle will have to verify when I code it in for the UZO.

If we can determine whether there is a linear relationship between this error and zoom levels then I can account for it. First we need to determine if it's linear and what the value is.

test version 1.0.141.0 released. See here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=2450 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2086626&postcount=2450)

If you already followed the directions from test version 1.0.134.0 you do not need to do them again. You are safe to just go ahead and use this new test version.

Fixed the problem of the new code for the new contact types showing unknown for the player when the hydro needle in the 180 degree range.
I'm a tad bit worried about the new code I made for this. I used recursion to iterate over all the parent objects. I tested it on many units and none caused a CTD. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Now I'll work on the code for stadimeter to be used only in attack scope.

Fifi
07-22-13, 03:27 PM
Fixed the problem of the new code for the new contact types showing unknown for the player when the hydro needle in the 180 degree range.
I'm a tad bit worried about the new code I made for this. I used recursion to iterate over all the parent objects. I tested it on many units and none caused a CTD. I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Now I'll work on the code for stadimeter to be used only in attack scope.

Thanks for that :up:

NoLine
07-22-13, 05:16 PM
Shouldnt you guys be looking at Polaris
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaris

Fifi
07-22-13, 05:50 PM
Test version 1.0.141.0 is crashing both of my installs when in hydrostation.
Tested with SH5 life boats single mission.
With NewUIs, as soon as i get the needle at 180° it's crashing.
With Magui it takes few minutes longer (second time i reach the 180° it's crashing)

Experimental patch activated or not, it's the same :shifty:
Back with previous version!

Fifi
07-22-13, 06:19 PM
Ahhhh...:o Even with version 1.0.140.0, this life boat test mission makes both install crashing :hmmm:
Didn't know because i never tested it with hydrophone...

Other missions seems fine though :-? only this special one, maybe because there are many boats involved and many sounds (propellers and explosions)...
But in career, when attacking an escorted convoy, there will be many hydro sounds as well...and if game is crashing :nope:

TDW, try this life boat single mission on your rig, and sit at the hydro for a moment switching all contacts...tell us result please.

TheDarkWraith
07-22-13, 06:29 PM
TDW, try this life boat single mission on your rig, and sit at the hydro for a moment switching all contacts...tell us result please.

Where's the link?

Tell me exactly what to do to duplicate the problem. Step by step.

Fifi
07-22-13, 06:52 PM
Ok, here is the mission: http://www.mediafire.com/download/p19vwxaxatno9po/Lifeboats.zip

Surfaced or submerged, go to hydrostation, and hear all contacts, switching from one to other, and of course put the needle to 180°...won't take long before CTD...
You will hear warships prop, merchants prop (hydro is very well working btw) and explosions...imo, it's explosions sounds that crashing game.
Too many sounds playing.

Other test mission seems ok...

EDIT:
Back with your latest patcher version, none of my others missions are crashing. So i'm sure it's coming from this special lifeboat mission.
As i said, probably too many sounds involved when hearing via the hydrostation, and my sound card can't handle them all (i guess).

I love the accuracy of your new hydro patch, so you did a fantastic job on that!
I keep the latest one finally...
Maybe you could tell me more about the lifeboat mission, and find out what is making this one crash...

TheDarkWraith
07-22-13, 07:22 PM
Ok, here is the mission: http://www.mediafire.com/download/p19vwxaxatno9po/Lifeboats.zip

Surfaced or submerged, go to hydrostation, and hear all contacts, switching from one to other, and of course put the needle to 180°...won't take long before CTD...
You will hear warships prop, merchants prop (hydro is very well working btw) and explosions...imo, it's explosions sounds that crashing game.
Too many sounds playing.

Other test mission seems ok...

No problems :-? Been moving needle around to all the contacts, put needle at 180, increase TC to 32 for quite awhile, repeated procedure. I can't duplicate your problem.

Ok, just got a crash. I'll fire up the debugger and do it again.

Fifi
07-22-13, 07:25 PM
:) See my edit above

Sjizzle
07-23-13, 09:00 AM
i have question :D

somebody will try to calculate his position with this new sextant ?

volodya61
07-23-13, 09:03 AM

joke of the day? :O:

TheDarkWraith
07-23-13, 09:16 AM

I'm almost done with it. I've noticed that if you don't take your readings with the star/celestial body right in the middle of the scope (vertical crosshair) the readings are distorted. Has to do with how game projects 3D scene onto 2D surface (monitor)

Sjizzle
07-23-13, 09:20 AM
I'm almost done with it. I've noticed that if you don't take your readings with the star/celestial body right in the middle of the scope (vertical crosshair) the readings are distorted. Has to do with how game projects 3D scene onto 2D surface (monitor)

i am waiting to test it :) with that new UZO option :) i need to make a mission with calm sea no wind and waves :) cos with waves it's damn hard to make a good mesurement :D

Sjizzle
07-23-13, 09:47 AM
when i mesure the moon with 0.5, 0.8, 1 pass 100% then must pass also by stars ( i think so )

for a better res. here (http://attila-kevin.de/index.php/Silent-Hunter-5/moon) and here (http://attila-kevin.de/index.php/Silent-Hunter-5/stellarium-006)

http://attila-kevin.de/var/resizes/Silent-Hunter-5/stellarium-006.png?m=1374590587

http://attila-kevin.de/var/resizes/Silent-Hunter-5/moon.jpg?m=1374590598

TheDarkWraith
07-23-13, 05:45 PM
EDIT:
Back with your latest patcher version, none of my others missions are crashing. So i'm sure it's coming from this special lifeboat mission.
As i said, probably too many sounds involved when hearing via the hydrostation, and my sound card can't handle them all (i guess).

I love the accuracy of your new hydro patch, so you did a fantastic job on that!
I keep the latest one finally...
Maybe you could tell me more about the lifeboat mission, and find out what is making this one crash...

Has nothing to do with amount of sounds and/or units. The problem is, err was, dead units. I've adjusted the Broken hydro patch to account for dead units. I'll be releasing new test version here soon. Just a couple more things to code in.

Fifi
07-23-13, 05:47 PM
Has nothing to do with amount of sounds and/or units. The problem is, err was, dead units. I've adjusted the Broken hydro patch to account for dead units. I'll be releasing new test version here soon. Just a couple more things to code in.

Hey, that's good news :yeah:
At least it helped find an other hydro bug, about those dead units :up:

TheDarkWraith
07-23-13, 06:06 PM
Hey, that's good news :yeah:
At least it helped find an other hydro bug, about those dead units :up:

That hydro bug was caused by my code. I was bound to get a bug somewhere. At least it was easy enough to find.

What makes me happy is the bug was not due to my new code that uses recursion :D It was the old-new broken hydro code.

TheDarkWraith
07-23-13, 07:38 PM
v1.0.142.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.142.0 Added new commands to the game. Added patch to SH5.exe that allows submarines and environmentals to be 'heard' on the hydrophone (Submarine and Environmental will show in hydro box). Fixed CTD that could happen in the Broken hydro patch for SH5.exe when the hydrophone needle passes over a dead unit.

Captain73
07-23-13, 11:11 PM
v1.0.142.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.142.0 Added new commands to the game. Added patch to SH5.exe that allows submarines and environmentals to be 'heard' on the hydrophone (Submarine and Environmental will show in hydro box). Fixed CTD that could happen in the Broken hydro patch for SH5.exe when the hydrophone needle passes over a dead unit.

Hello Dark!
Bug report to the nearest contact is fixed in the latest version? :hmmm:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2088703&postcount=3600

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2088716&postcount=3602

TheDarkWraith
07-24-13, 12:41 AM
Hello Dark!
Bug report to the nearest contact is fixed in the latest version? :hmmm:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2088703&postcount=3600

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2088716&postcount=3602

Still pondering how to determine if contact closing/retreating from player's sub

v1.0.143.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.143.0 Added a new patch to the sh5.exe: Stadimeter can only be used at Attack scope or UZO (as Sextant)

gap
07-24-13, 05:07 AM
Still pondering how to determine if contact closing/retreating from player's sub

Can't you set three volatile variables, and store in them unit ID, exact range and estimated range of the last target whose range was estimated?

- For each new range estimation compare the stored unit ID with the new unit ID;

if they are matching:

- If new exact range > stored exact range, min new estimated (random) range = stored estimated range

- If new exact range < stored exact range, max new estimated (random) range = stored estimated range

Moreover I wonder if you could implemet the below idea by Sartoris idea as an option of your patch:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2088750&postcount=3603

v1.0.143.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.143.0 Added a new patch to the sh5.exe: Stadimeter can only be used at Attack scope or UZO (as Sextant)

:yeah:

TheDarkWraith
07-24-13, 09:40 AM
Can't you set three volatile variables, and store in them unit ID, exact range and estimated range of the last target whose range was estimated?

Yes I could but everything will get screwed up if player chooses one contact, bounces over to another, comes back to first contact, etc.

That still doesn't help with contact either closing/retreating in respect to player's sub.

In order to make this 100% correct I need to add new variables to the units of the game (increase the amount of memory requested for each unit). That will be HIGHLY experimental because if I fail to find every place where a unit is created then I could be trampling on memory unrelated to the unit :-?

It might be best just to convert that patch into returning short range, medium range, and long range.

Sartoris
07-24-13, 12:21 PM
Yes I could but everything will get screwed up if player chooses one contact, bounces over to another, comes back to first contact, etc.

That still doesn't help with contact either closing/retreating in respect to player's sub.

In order to make this 100% correct I need to add new variables to the units of the game (increase the amount of memory requested for each unit). That will be HIGHLY experimental because if I fail to find every place where a unit is created then I could be trampling on memory unrelated to the unit :-?

It might be best just to convert that patch into returning short range, medium range, and long range.

Yes, I think that would be best.

pelucho25
07-24-13, 01:13 PM
Hello captains, one can climb a snapshot of TDW GenericPatcher? It appears that the link is not working Sober.

Sjizzle
07-24-13, 01:35 PM
Hello captains, one can climb a snapshot of TDW GenericPatcher? It appears that the link is not working Sober.

take a look at my how to use generic patcher thread

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205620

Captain73
07-24-13, 01:57 PM

This is the right decision! :yeah:

It is possible in the next patch to disable the command gunners - to open fire on the nearest ship?
And thus allow the player (captain) to determine which country the ship and take a decision on its destruction!
At night, the ship will not be easy to identify! :dead:

Finally, I would never see this yellow triangle! :arrgh!:

TheDarkWraith
07-24-13, 02:02 PM

It is possible in the next patch to disable the command gunners - to open fire on the nearest ship?
And thus allow the player (captain) to determine which country the ship and take a decision on its destruction!

Are you asking if I can develop a patch to stop the automatic firing of the deckgun when you designate a target? If so, yeah that's a great idea.

Yes that yellow triangle is quite annoying :D

volodya61
07-24-13, 02:17 PM
Generic Patcher manual RUS (1.0.134 test - 1.0.143) - http://www.4sync.com/archive/NoI8UE63/Generic_Patcher_manual_RUS__10.html

Captain73
07-24-13, 02:19 PM
Are you asking if I can develop a patch to stop the automatic firing of the deckgun when you designate a target? If so, yeah that's a great idea.

Yes that yellow triangle is quite annoying :D

You understood me correctly! :)
Yellow triangle must be destroyed! :/\\!! :D

Fifi
07-24-13, 07:39 PM
@TDW: with latest patch activated (stadi only in attack scope), the XO can't identify target anymore.
We have to open the manual, find the right boat, and send the mast height...(well as in RL)
But clicking on officer, then on periscope icon, then left icon to identify target doesn't work anymore in either scope :yep:

EDIT: furthermore, with this patch activated i can't lock target anymore!
Tested with the patch deactivated --->all was fine again.
So it's really coming from the last patch.

TheDarkWraith
07-24-13, 11:17 PM
@TDW: with latest patch activated (stadi only in attack scope), the XO can't identify target anymore.
We have to open the manual, find the right boat, and send the mast height...(well as in RL)
But clicking on officer, then on periscope icon, then left icon to identify target doesn't work anymore in either scope :yep:

EDIT: furthermore, with this patch activated i can't lock target anymore!
Tested with the patch deactivated --->all was fine again.
So it's really coming from the last patch.

Everything works fine for me. Looks like you corrupted your files somehow.

I can lock target at any station, and even identify the target using WEPS at any station.

Fifi
07-25-13, 12:20 AM
Everything works fine for me. Looks like you corrupted your files somehow.

I can lock target at any station, and even identify the target using WEPS at any station.

Not corrupted...it works again now :o
As the other problem i had with speed cursor, last patch is working fine after few time, for some unknown reason :oops:
My PC is very clean though, never on internet, no virus etc, only dedicated for SH5...but sometimes, it gives me some weird thing happening :haha:
Nevertheless, i have an AVG antivirus installed with the resident winshield deactivated for both SH5 installs...maybe it's AVG the culprit sometimes? :hmm2:
(want to keep it because i have optional AVG Tuneup - defrag and registry cleaner/defrag)

Sjizzle
07-25-13, 12:23 AM
Not corrupted...it works again now :o
As the other problem i had with speed cursor, last patch is working fine after few time, for some unknown reason :oops:
My PC is very clean though, never on internet, no virus etc, only dedicated for SH5...but sometimes, it gives me some weird thing happening :haha:
Nevertheless, i have an AVG antivirus installed with the resident winshield deactivated for both SH5 installs...maybe it's AVG the culprit sometimes? :hmm2:

i think that your computer is possessed call a priest :har:

"joking ofc"

SnipersHunter
07-25-13, 01:39 AM
Man why i bought the Steam Version :/\\!!

Captain73
07-25-13, 04:16 AM
Hi Dark :salute:

Maybe you also will not be hard to add a more realistic model of equipment breakdowns, assemblies and mechanisms? :hmmm:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2029889&postcount=17

gap
07-25-13, 04:32 AM

Maybe you also will not be hard to add a more realistic model of equipment breakdowns, assemblies and mechanisms? :hmmm:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2029889&postcount=17

Some equipments don't take damage simply because they are lacking damage boxes at all. Once we fix them, the next step will be making them to get random damage from prolonged/wrong use. I think this is in TDW's todo list already :03:

Captain73
07-25-13, 04:39 AM
Some equipments don't take damage simply because they are lacking damage boxes at all. Once we fix them, the next step will be making them to get random damage from prolonged/wrong use. I think this is in TDW's todo list already :03:

This is great news! :up: :sunny:
God help you!

SnipersHunter
07-25-13, 09:43 AM
Are there any alternatives to this because i have the Steamversion
Or is it possible to make this compatible with the steamversion?

volodya61
07-25-13, 09:50 AM
Are there any alternatives to this because i have the Steamversion
Or is it possible to make this compatible with the steamversion?

No..

Game's cost at Amazon is $5 now.. this is a real alternative..

pelucho25
07-25-13, 09:59 AM
take a look at my how to use generic patcher thread

thanks !!

SnipersHunter
07-25-13, 11:49 AM
No..

But I dont want to buy the game twice. Is it really impossible?

Sjizzle
07-25-13, 11:53 AM
But I dont want to buy the game twice. Is it really impossible?

100% impossible and for 5$ from amazon u can buy it

Stoli151
07-25-13, 11:56 AM
No..

I had the steam version as well. I got lucky though and received a $10 credit from Gamefly. So I picked up a free SH5 Gold from them. The Gamefly pc download does work with the patcher by the way. Now all I have to do is figure out how to enable everything correctly.

Sjizzle
07-25-13, 12:01 PM
I had the steam version as well. I got lucky though and received a $10 credit from Gamefly. So I picked up a free SH5 Gold from them. The Gamefly pc download does work with the patcher by the way. Now all I have to do is figure out how to enable everything correctly.

take a look here

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=192374
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=190656
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=201004
and at my signature

SnipersHunter
07-25-13, 01:33 PM
Ok but just a little question. If i buy it again how can i registrateat on my uplay account cause the steamversion is there already registrated. Or is it no longer needed?

Stoli151
07-25-13, 01:40 PM
Ok but just a little question. If i buy it again how can i registrateat on my uplay account cause the steamversion is there already registrated. Or is it no longer needed?
I just made a different uplay account and logged into that one, otherwise it was trying to start my steam version. Just be aware once you use your key to unlock it, it is tied to that new account forever. So you have to be logged into that specific account to play your new SH5.

SnipersHunter
07-25-13, 01:53 PM
But what is if you put the folder of the cd version in the steam folder and delete the folder of the steamversion. so you can start the dvd version in stean and in your old uplay account. does this work?

Stoli151
07-25-13, 01:58 PM
But what is if you put the folder of the cd version in the steam folder and delete the folder of the steamversion. so you can start the dvd version in stean and in your old uplay account. does this work?Without hijacking this thread any further, my apologies. The only way I can explain is to say "Do NOT associate your new SH5 with steam in any way." Just do as I stated in post #2590 and all will be well.

volodya61
07-25-13, 02:07 PM
...does this work?

No.. it won't work.. these are two completely different games (I mean .exe)..
You have to uninstall steam version before you'll install regular PC version..

SnipersHunter
07-25-13, 02:33 PM
ok i think i buy it on amazon now. Stoli did you already removed your steamversion ^^?

TheDarkWraith
07-25-13, 02:35 PM
The code I wrote for overriding the active camera's zoom level has one neat little feature with it: variable zoom :D

I remember seeing old photographs and videos where a single eye piece device was used that had variable zoom by lengthening/shortening the length of the device. What is this thing called? Should I add it to the game :06:

Stoli151
07-25-13, 03:11 PM
ok i think i buy it on amazon now. Stoli did you already removed your steamversion ^^?
I did a complete uninstall of my steam version. You still have to make a new uplay account or uplay will still try to start your steam version even if it's uninstalled. You also have to be logged into that new account when you play.

gap
07-25-13, 03:15 PM
The code I wrote for overriding the active camera's zoom level has one neat little feature with it: variable zoom :D

I remember seeing old photographs and videos where a single eye piece device was used that had variable zoom by lengthening/shortening the length of the device. What is this thing called? Should I add it to the game :06:

If memory serves me well, this is how the large majority of zoom lenses used to work before they introduced fixed lenght zoom lenses. The old system is still in use, but I don't think it got any special name.

Talking about your idea, if I got it right you want to introduce some sort of "progressive" zooming (i.e. the scopes being able to to accept any magnification level between their max/min values). I don't think 40's German optics had such a capability, but to be sure I can do some search on the web...

Stoli151
07-25-13, 03:16 PM

I remember seeing old photographs and videos where a single eye piece device was used that had variable zoom by lengthening/shortening the length of the device. What is this thing called? Should I add it to the game :06:I think it was simply called a telephoto or zoom lens and yes it would be awesome. I think you are talking about the free camera for external views and such because I dont think periscopes used it back then, am I correct?

TheDarkWraith
07-25-13, 03:27 PM
If memory serves me well, this is how the large majority of zoom lenses used to work before they introduced fixed lenght zoom lenses. The old system is still in use, but I don't think it got any special name.

Talking about your idea, if I got it right you want to introduce some sort of "progressive" zooming (i.e. the scopes being able to to accept any magnification level between their max/min values). I don't think 40's German optics had such a capability, but to be sure I can do some search on the web...

I think it was simply called a telephoto or zoom lens and yes it would be awesome. I think you are talking about the free camera for external views and such because I dont think periscopes used it back then, am I correct?

Not for the scopes (though it would be cool if they did have this feature so I can add it :yep:) but a completely new 'screen' - like the Sextant. This screen would show like the Sextant but no sextant window or anything just a view and you would be able to increase/decrease zoom as wanted between some min/max value thus simulating this device I was referring to earlier. Of course you would have to be surfaced in order to use it.

gap
07-25-13, 03:59 PM
Not for the scopes (though it would be cool if they did have this feature so I can add it :yep:) but a completely new 'screen' - like the Sextant. This screen would show like the Sextant but no sextant window or anything just a view and you would be able to increase/decrease zoom as wanted between some min/max value thus simulating this device I was referring to earlier. Of course you would have to be surfaced in order to use it.

A telescope?!

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/pirate_telescope.gif

Fifi
07-25-13, 04:03 PM
This feature for the binoculars?
Adjustable binoculars! :D

TheDarkWraith
07-25-13, 04:06 PM
This feature for the binoculars?
Adjustable binoculars! :D

YES!!! No need to code anything new...it's already there. Ok, I'll make the necessary changes :yeah: What should be the min/max zoom limits?

Fifi
07-25-13, 04:08 PM
Well, max zoom should be the one we have already ingame, no?
Otherwise it could be cheating :D
What do you think?

EDIT: or we have to find what was the max magnification of WW2 german binoculars...

gap
07-25-13, 04:29 PM
EDIT: or we have to find what was the max magnification of WW2 german binoculars...

That is easy:

binoculars magnification is the first number seen on the back of their optical assembly:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/Binoculars_description_plate2.jpg/220px-Binoculars_description_plate2.jpg

In the above example 7 x 50 mean a 7x magnification, and 50mm lens diameter. If you can find pictures of old German binoculars where those numbers are visible, you will get their maximum magnification. :03:

P.S: honestly I don't think they had zoomable binoculars at that time, but I can be wrong :hmmm:

gap
07-25-13, 04:34 PM
Just found this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Carl-Ziess-german-Kriegsmarine-battlefleet-binoculars-Marked-N-Northsea-fleet-/00/s/OTU4WDE2MDA=/z/IDUAAOxy2YtRsIhe/$(KGrHqJ,!qQFG(HjmMsgBRsIheDYb!~~60_12.JPG
(7 x 50)

and this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/WW2-binoculars-kriegsmarine-zeiss-10x50-blc-binocolo-u-boat-fernglas-u-boot-/00/s/OTYwWDEyODA=/z/II0AAOxyOM5RaVlO/$T2eC16N,!yUE9s6NDMjfBR,VlO!E-!~~60_35.JPG
(10x 50)

Fifi
07-25-13, 05:23 PM
Wow!...10X50! :o That's a lot!

I think (of what i've seen when looking for german ww2 binos) very usual and common magnification was 7X50 :yep:

But Gap is right about historical zoomable binos...don't think they had them yet.
Even mine in RL (Carl Zeiss) aren't zoomable.

gap
07-25-13, 05:42 PM
Wow!...10X50! :o That's a lot!

I think (of what i've seen when looking for german ww2 binos) very usual and common magnification was 7X50 :yep:

Yes, most of the German WWII binoculars I have seen on collectible websites are 7 x 50 :yep:

By the way, I just had a look into New UI's cameras.cam. For binoculars we have:

MinZoom: 1
MaxZoom: 10

ZoomLevels (1 entry): 7

I wonder how min and max zoom levels are applied :hmmm:

volodya61
07-25-13, 05:48 PM
..I wonder how min and max zoom levels are applied :hmmm:

I think it's just the limits.. that's all..

TheDarkWraith
07-25-13, 05:53 PM
Yes, most of the German WWII binoculars I have seen on collectible websites are 7 x 50 :yep:

By the way, I just had a look into New UI's cameras.cam. For binoculars we have:

MinZoom: 1
MaxZoom: 10

ZoomLevels (1 entry): 7

I wonder how min and max zoom levels are applied :hmmm:

The code iterates over all the zoom levels defined. If game is requesting increase zoom the next zoom level is found and compared to MaxZoom. If greater then MaxZoom returned. If game is requesting decrease in zoom the next lower zoom level is found and compared to MinZoom. If less than MinZoom then MinZoom returned.

Having some trouble converting the angle val (or Elevation) of the sextant into degrees/minutes/seconds. What would the math be for this :06:

Given 2.54 how would I get 2 degrees x minutes and y seconds?

EDIT:

think I got it. Took the decimal part and multiplied by 3600 and then used that value for calcs.

gap
07-25-13, 06:30 PM
I think it's just the limits.. that's all..

The code iterates over all the zoom levels defined. If game is requesting increase zoom the next zoom level is found and compared to MaxZoom. If greater then MaxZoom returned. If game is requesting decrease in zoom the next lower zoom level is found and compared to MinZoom. If less than MinZoom then MinZoom returned.

I see, as said by volodya they are the "limits". Yet I don't get the utility of double checking set ZoomLevels. I could understand it if zoom levels were calculated somehow, and we just wanted to make sure that they didn't exceed the given limits :hmmm:

Having some trouble converting the angle val (or Elevation) of the sextant into degrees/minutes/seconds. What would the math be for this :06:

Given 2.54 how would I get 2 degrees x minutes and y seconds?

EDIT:

think I got it. Took the decimal part and multiplied by 3600 and then used that value for calcs.

There is an easier method:

take agle's decimal part, multiply it by 60 and take the integer part of the resulting number; these are the minutes. Take then again the decimal part of the previous product, and multiply it by 60: these are the seconds. With your example:

deg = INT(2.54) = 2°
min = INT((2.54 - deg) * 60) = 32'
sec = ((2.54 - deg) * 60 - min) * 60 = 24"

TheDarkWraith
07-25-13, 08:04 PM
v1.0.144.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.144.0 Revised the Stadimeter as Sextant patch so that game can automatically set the zoom level required for the Sextant.

Tomorrow I finish the radio portion of the carriers/airbases spawning aircraft patch.

volodya61
07-26-13, 06:59 AM

Thank you, sir :salute:

Generic Patcher manual RUS (1.0.134 test - 1.0.144) - http://www.4sync.com/archive/yhTPsq0q/Generic_Patcher_manual_RUS__10.html

Feuer Frei!
07-26-13, 08:21 AM
Firstly, thank you TDW for the update :up:

Sorry to interrupt the 'tech' talk gents however, it's apt to post this qstn of mine here since it has to do with the patcher, specifically the settings.

I am patching game, which is v1.2 (and a legal copy of course), and was wondering what people are patching in regards to any ubi online listeners and anything similar, all the while being able to complete and fill up the progress bars on campaign objectives?

I am having issues with the progress bars not advancing in the mission objectives crosses on the map.

Once again, i stress i have a legal copy of the game.
However, the problem i am obviously having is that i am enabling the wrong patch(es) in the patcher to allow the game to update my progress.

NOTE: I have tried to disable "disables uplay browser patch", i have tried to disable renders of patches, i have tried many things, obviously not the right ones.

I just want to be able to load the game without ubi launcher launching, and having to log in, play the campaigns and actually get recognition for tonnage and mission objectives being met.

Sorry for the long story.
thanks in advance

TheDarkWraith
07-26-13, 08:33 AM
Firstly, thank you TDW for the update :up:

Sorry to interrupt the 'tech' talk gents however, it's apt to post this qstn of mine here since it has to do with the patcher, specifically the settings.

I am patching game, which is v1.2 (and a legal copy of course), and was wondering what people are patching in regards to any ubi online listeners and anything similar, all the while being able to complete and fill up the progress bars on campaign objectives?

I am having issues with the progress bars not advancing in the mission objectives crosses on the map.

Once again, i stress i have a legal copy of the game.
However, the problem i am obviously having is that i am enabling the wrong patch(es) in the patcher to allow the game to update my progress.

NOTE: I have tried to disable "disables uplay browser patch", i have tried to disable renders of patches, i have tried many things, obviously not the right ones.

I just want to be able to load the game without ubi launcher launching, and having to log in, play the campaigns and actually get recognition for tonnage and mission objectives being met.

Sorry for the long story.
thanks in advance

Unless you have a 'special' exe you can't do what you are wanting. With a normal exe you have to disable all patches related to Orbit Listener and Uplay in order for progress bar to fill/advance.

TheDarkWraith
07-26-13, 10:45 AM
Interesting tidbit of info:

If player's crew spots a surface contact and:
distance to contact < 9000.0 then game will report ship sighted, submarine sighted, etc.
if distance to contact >= 9000.0 then game will report smoke on the horizon bearing x. Always wondered what the criteria was for smoke on the horizon :)

Crew is also capable of spotting survivors and liferafts. Wonder why I never hear them say Liferaft spotted or Friendly aviator spotted :hmmm:

tonschk
07-26-13, 11:15 AM
Crew is also capable of spotting survivors and liferafts.

:up: Interesting :yeah::salute:

THE_MASK
07-26-13, 04:57 PM
Mines spotted , icebergs spotted is what we need .

Tonci87
07-26-13, 04:58 PM
Don´t forget Subnets

TheDarkWraith
07-26-13, 10:37 PM

See below :up:

@ TDW

... and here are the ship damage zone tweaks required by the upcoming radio damage patch:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qj37aa1fak7w39d

All the files based on the latest version of Fx Updates. Tweaks featured:

Zones.cfg

Added three new zonde definitions: 235=RadioRoom, 236=RadioTransmitAntenna, and 237=RadioReceiverAntenna (the latter added just in case of possible future developments of your radio damage patch); please note that included in the file are some other new zones, not pertinent to the said patch and not affecting FX update's normal functionalities, but required by the ship cargo mod proposed by Rongel which I started working on.

New zone settings (if needed, feel free to adjust them):

[RadioRoom]
Multiplier=1.000000
Flotability=0.000000
HitPoints=30
Destructible=No
Armor Level=-1
Critic Flotation=0.300000
Critical=No
Effect1=#sink_bubbles, 1
Effect2=BAZA_FX_FocFum_mic, 50
Effect3=BAZA_FX_Explozie_mica, 100
Effect4=BAZA_FX_Splinter_fire, 100
Effect5=BAZA_FX_scantei_explozie,100
FloodingTime=59.999996
CargoType=None

[RadioTransmitAntenna]
Multiplier=1.000000
Flotability=0.000000
HitPoints=8
Destructible=No
Armor Level=3
Critical=No
FloodingTime=59.999996
CargoType=None

[RadioReceiverAntenna]
Multiplier=1.000000
Flotability=0.000000
HitPoints=8
Destructible=No
Armor Level=3
Critical=No
FloodingTime=59.999996
CargoType=None

Ship *.zon files:

Added one RadioRoom damage box to each stock ship, and one RadioTransmitAntenna to some ships.
Some of the existing boxes of few ships slightly moved/resized, in order to make better space for the new boxes.
Added additional collision spheres to some ships, when required for the new damage boxes to take damge.
Added collision spheres and damage boxes to the masts of several battleships which were missing them, for making their masts destructible.
For most ships, mast boxes linked to the appropriate non-parent wire objects, so to make wires to be destroyed when masts are destroyed.

If you agree with the above changes, I suggest you to include them into the next FX Update's version, so to keep full compatibility among your mod and my tweaks of it.

Once your patch is ready and tested, I will start adding the needed boxes to OH's ships :up:

v1.0.145.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.145.0 Finished the radio portion of the Carriers/Airbases spawning aircraft patch. The patch will look for 2 zones: 235 (Radio Room) and 236 (Transmit antenna). It will then check the damage to each one. If the damage is greater than the damage in the patch file (0.5 for both) then the unit was unable to radio for support (air support). This makes it paramount to place your deck gun shells on the radio room and/or it's transmit antenna! The patch also has the 237 zone enabled: receive radio antenna (max damage of 0.5). It's coded to be able to use it but currently nothing is using this feature (to be added here soon!). Added 2 new patches to the sh5.exe: remove yellow designation triangle for deck gun and disable automatic deck gun firing/man the deck gun when target designated for deck gun

@gap - I noticed that the NLL didn't have a transmit antenna zone. I know this because I was watching the code iterate over all the zones and this one never showed up. The radio room one did. I coded this radio feature in that if the zone is not found it defaults to it's ok and is undamaged. If either of the zones (radio room or transmit antenna/receive antenna) is damaged greater than the damage level in the patch file then unit was unable to transmit/receive radio. The receive part of the radio patch isn't operational yet (it's coded in but nothing is using it currently).

:|\\

Fifi
07-27-13, 02:29 AM
For some reason, last patch won't let me use my new UZO (TBT_1024.dds)
Each time i load it (even directly remplacing in sh5 data!) i get old stock one :o
Is it again me, or?

volodya61
07-27-13, 04:30 AM
v1.0.145.0 released. See post #1

Thank you :salute:

Generic Patcher manual RUS (1.0.134 test - 1.0.145) - http://www.4sync.com/archive/kpIKKAs1/Generic_Patcher_manual_RUS__10.html

Just one suggestion if I may, maybe the better place for /No yellow triangle designation on unit when designated for attack with deck gun/ patch is Render patches (Advanced users group).. and one more :), maybe better to move /New hydro contact types/ to the Hydrophone group folder?

What do you think?

TheDarkWraith
07-27-13, 08:54 AM
For some reason, last patch won't let me use my new UZO (TBT_1024.dds)
Each time i load it (even directly remplacing in sh5 data!) i get old stock one :o
Is it again me, or?

That would be correct. Trying to use the stock name won't work anymore with my UIs mod. You have to call it:

TBT_1024_backup.dds

if you want to see it in game :up:

TheDarkWraith
07-27-13, 08:56 AM
Thank you :salute:

Generic Patcher manual RUS (1.0.134 test - 1.0.145) - http://www.4sync.com/archive/kpIKKAs1/Generic_Patcher_manual_RUS__10.html

Just one suggestion if I may, maybe the better place for /No yellow triangle designation on unit when designated for attack with deck gun/ patch is Render patches (Advanced users group).. and one more :), maybe better to move /New hydro contact types/ to the Hydrophone group folder?

What do you think?

Good ideas :up: I'm going to revise most of the render patches so as to remove the CTDs. I found a better way to 'not' render them.

Fifi
07-27-13, 11:30 AM
That would be correct. Trying to use the stock name won't work anymore with my UIs mod. You have to call it:

TBT_1024_backup.dds

if you want to see it in game :up:

Many thanks! :salute:

gap
07-27-13, 12:10 PM
Starting with v1.0.145.0 Finished the radio portion of the Carriers/Airbases spawning aircraft patch. The patch will look for 2 zones: 235 (Radio Room) and 236 (Transmit antenna). It will then check the damage to each one. If the damage is greater than the damage in the patch file (0.5 for both) then the unit was unable to radio for support (air support).

I also see some uses of this patch with ship-to-ship communications, esp. merchant to escorts or destroyer-destroyer :hmm2:

This makes it paramount to place your deck gun shells on the radio room and/or it's transmit antenna!

I have made radio room and antenna damage boxes small enough that it won't be very easy to disable them, unless we are very close to the target. Yet, in some cases they are pretty close to fire boxes, so there's a chance that they will get damage from explosion blasts of from spreading fires. There's probably space for some zone settings and box placing adjustements, but final finetuning will be possible after the first test reports :up:

The patch also has the 237 zone enabled: receive radio antenna (max damage of 0.5). It's coded to be able to use it but currently nothing is using this feature (to be added here soon!).

I have not placed receiver antenna boxes yet. But adding them won't be that difficult. In most cases, duplicating the transmit antenna box will be enough I think. ;)

@gap - I noticed that the NLL didn't have a transmit antenna zone. I know this because I was watching the code iterate over all the zones and this one never showed up. The radio room one did. I coded this radio feature in that if the zone is not found it defaults to it's ok and is undamaged. If either of the zones (radio room or transmit antenna/receive antenna) is damaged greater than the damage level in the patch file then unit was unable to transmit/receive radio.

yep, part because of my laziness, part because in some cases I din't know where to place the antenna box, not all the ships got one. After all I knew you were going to patch up the flaws of my work :D

A couple of questions:

- since we are at it, what do you think about extending you radio damage patch to airplanes?

- could you do a new patch that will look for a "cockpit" and "pilot" boxes aboard planes? The cockpit box could be placed directly on plane models, whereas the pilot one would be better placed on the 3D model of the aviator. If either the cockpit or all the pilots aboard the plane are destroyed, the plane loses control... what do you think? :hmm2:

TheDarkWraith
07-27-13, 08:35 PM
I also see some uses of this patch with ship-to-ship communications, esp. merchant to escorts or destroyer-destroyer :hmm2:

I am already venturing down that route :up:

I have made radio room and antenna damage boxes small enough that it won't be very easy to disable them, unless we are very close to the target. Yet, in some cases they are pretty close to fire boxes, so there's a chance that they will get damage from explosion blasts of from spreading fires. There's probably space for some zone settings and box placing adjustements, but final finetuning will be possible after the first test reports :up:

A torpedo hit should take them out if it's located in the right spot :yep:

I have not placed receiver antenna boxes yet. But adding them won't be that difficult. In most cases, duplicating the transmit antenna box will be enough I think. ;)

That will work. You are not limited to only one radio room and/or antenna. You can define up to 15 (0xF) of each (that's how I coded it). What I did was every time I encountered a radio room and it's damage level was less than the damage level defined in the patch file I incremented a memory address by 0x1. Every time I encountered a transmit/receive antenna I incremented that same memory address by 0x10. Then at the end of the function I checked the value in that memory address for at least 0x11. If the value was at least 0x11 then unit was able to transmit/receive radio. A value is passed to the function that tells it whether unit is trying to transmit or receive radio (that way function knows what to look for and uses correct zones/memory addresses). Pretty brilliant if I do say so myself :D

yep, part because of my laziness, part because in some cases I din't know where to place the antenna box, not all the ships got one. After all I knew you were going to patch up the flaws of my work :D

Too busy writing code. I'll just report what I find and let you all fix it. I'll do the 'hard' stuff :up:

A couple of questions:

- since we are at it, what do you think about extending you radio damage patch to airplanes?

I can expand it to anything. I can write code to do anything (within my limits). My level of knowledge of the game is increasing exponentially now since I have a good majority of the game deciphered/mapped out.

- could you do a new patch that will look for a "cockpit" and "pilot" boxes aboard planes? The cockpit box could be placed directly on plane models, whereas the pilot one would be better placed on the 3D model of the aviator. If either the cockpit or all the pilots aboard the plane are destroyed, the plane loses control... what do you think? :hmm2:

The only loss of control I can do is cut the engine. I don't know how to rotate them yet. By cutting the engine it should induce a loss of control because the game will try to maintain altitude by pitching the nose up. Eventually the speed will die off and the unit should lose control on it's own.

The other things I was thinking about was specifying zones where all the sensors are located (hydro/sonar/etc.). That way I can check to see if those zones are damaged to a certain level and if so render that sensor useless (I'll have to figure out sensors yet but I already know where they are located in the code).

See above in yellow.

gap
07-27-13, 09:55 PM
I am already venturing down that route :up:

A torpedo hit should take them out if it's located in the right spot:yep:

Let's see what happens in game. Ideally, disabling foe's radio equipment before our position is radioed, should be a matter of wise aiming mixed with a little dose of luck :up:

That will work. You are not limited to only one radio room and/or antenna. You can define up to 15 (0xF) of each (that's how I coded it). What I did was every time I encountered a radio room and it's damage level was less than the damage level defined in the patch file I incremented a memory address by 0x1. Every time I encountered a transmit/receive antenna I incremented that same memory address by 0x10. Then at the end of the function I checked the value in that memory address for at least 0x11. If the value was at least 0x11 then unit was able to transmit/receive radio. A value is passed to the function that tells it whether unit is trying to transmit or receive radio (that way function knows what to look for and uses correct zones/memory addresses). Pretty brilliant if I do say so myself :D

I am sure I would agree with you, if only I could understand what you are saying :D

Do you mean by any chance that we can have more than one radio room and/or antenna of the same type, and that they all need to be destroyed before the radio transmission/reception abilities of the parent unit are disabled?

Too busy writing code. I'll just report what I find and let you all fix it. I'll do the 'hard' stuff :up:

You misunderstood me; I meant that you have addressed in advance the possible lack of antenna/radio room zones. Prevention is better than cure :03:

I can expand it to anything. I can write code to do anything (within my limits). My level of knowledge of the game is increasing exponentially now since I have a good majority of the game deciphered/mapped out.

I like when you talk like this :rock: Now to know which are "your limits" :O:

The only loss of control I can do is cut the engine. I don't know how to rotate them yet. By cutting the engine it should induce a loss of control because the game will try to maintain altitude by pitching the nose up. Eventually the speed will die off and the unit should lose control on it's own.

Sounds good enough. Another way to do it could be by marking aircraft as destroyed once cockpit/pilot zones are destroyed or damaged beyond a certain level (sort of critical damage for planes). Thanks to your other patch, pilotless planes wouldn't wanish in the air but they would start falling down.

By the way of killed pilots, would you be able to track down the damage of a zone placed directly on them rather than on aircraft's model? This would make box editing much faster (only one box on the pilot shared by many aircrfat, rather than 1-2 boxes for each aircraft) :yep:

The other things I was thinking about was specifying zones where all the sensors are located (hydro/sonar/etc.). That way I can check to see if those zones are damaged to a certain level and if so render that sensor useless (I'll have to figure out sensors yet but I already know where they are located in the code).

Good idea. :up:

I guess that in vanilla game sensors are destroyed when their parent object is destroyed, but as their bones are normally placed directly on the hull, it is unlikely that they will be disabled before the unit is fatally damaged. Likewise radio equipment, we could set an hydrophone zone and an hydrophone room zone, a sonar zone and a sonar room zone, etc.

The only problem would be if a ship had more than one sensor of the same type. How could we tell your patch which one was destroyed? Maybe by assigning a damage box to each of the sensor linking bones or, better, directly to the GR2 sensors? Being dummy adimentional objects, I wonder if linking bones or sensors can take damage when given a damage box :hmmm:

Captain73
07-28-13, 02:53 AM

Thank you for your work! Thank Volodya61 for the translation!
Yellow triangle more I can not see! :yeah: :sunny:

But ....
My gunners continue to independently identify targets?! You can make a player (captain), he pointed at the target, and thus gave the command to destroy the ship? (Eg I looked through the binoculars and pressed the space bar!) ....
In other words .... We need to remove all the initiative in the actions of people with 88mm guns! :06:

You can get to 20mm Flak on orders Player (binoculars and space) opened fire on the enemy ship?

P.S. Like the idea ....
You can fix in the next version, to prohibit access to the 88mm gun in stormy weather (with the wind of 12 m/s)?

Inability torpedo attack in stormy weather? (with the wind 12 m/s or 15m/s)

Forgive me for my English! :oops:

From Russia with love! :subsim:

Fifi
07-28-13, 03:17 AM

:o:o ?? And what for please?

Captain73
07-28-13, 03:29 AM

In the reality in stormy weather torpedo attack was not possible! Often in stormy weather captains U-Boot saw the enemy ship, but could not do anything! Had to wait for better weather or move to another hunting area!

Fifi
07-28-13, 04:14 AM
Big waves never prevent from opening tubes and launch torpedos!

Captain73
07-28-13, 04:47 AM

Big waves of the Atlantic Ocean does not normally allow the team to visit the toilet! :D
Or you are talking about the game?
I spoke with a former captain of the diesel submarine of the Soviet period, and he confirmed that the severe storm torpedo attack is not possible with the position of the periscope!

Fifi
07-28-13, 06:10 AM
Agreed for the scopes :)
But you can listen and work from hydrophone...and again, you still can open tubes and fire a salvo...in storm.
I don't see why patcher would deactivate torpedo tubes in big weather...
If TDW takes this strange idea, i'll never activate it anyway :O:

volodya61
07-28-13, 06:19 AM

:sign_yeah:

Captain73
07-28-13, 06:27 AM
But you can listen and work from hydrophone...and again, you still can open tubes and fire a salvo...in storm.

I also do not activate some of the patch for different reasons!
As you wish! :)
I support the historicity and realism in SH5!

chun
07-28-13, 07:14 AM
alone would be a cheaper option for the player to choose:D

Sjizzle
07-28-13, 02:42 PM
A sextant bug
the menu sextant appear anywhere ( hydro station, binocular, attack scope, obs scope ) when i close the sextant meny can not use anymore the report botton from any of crew member :/\\!!

http://attila-kevin.de/var/resizes/Silent-Hunter-5/bug-1604610952.jpg?m=1375040382

Fifi
07-28-13, 04:55 PM
^^ :haha: at least i'm not alone anymore with a possessed computer!
Only problem remaining with sextant here, is the little icon to activate sextant stadimeter staying on screen (nav map/UZO/binos/periscope) whatever i do :hmm2:

Edit: in fact just had again same report order problem as you, with hydroman and radioman...still there, but not always.

vdr1981
07-29-13, 02:40 AM
Since i have installed latest Generic Patcher v1.0.145.0 and TDW 7.5 UI's there is no more speed drop while battery recharging is active?! Any hint ?

Fifi
07-29-13, 03:03 AM
Since i have installed latest Generic Patcher v1.0.145.0 and TDW 7.5 UI's there is no more speed drop while battery recharging is active?! Any hint ?

:agree: Me too! TDW??

CaliEs
07-29-13, 04:54 AM
15 m/s = 54 Km/h windspeed = Beaufort 7 = 4 - 5.5 meter wave height.
So a torpedo obviously has a depth keeping problem when in "Near Gale" (=Beaufort 7) or above.

CaliEs
07-29-13, 05:48 AM
The communications improvements with other friendly ships (maybe say status: course, speed, position, damage level, flooding level, etc. . ) are promising.

Sjizzle
07-29-13, 06:00 AM
torpedo safe depth

http://attila-kevin.de/var/resizes/TDW-charts/charts4.jpg?m=1369347664

gap
07-29-13, 08:25 AM
P.S. Like the idea ....
You can fix in the next version, to prohibit access to the 88mm gun in stormy weather (with the wind of 12 m/s)?

In the reality in stormy weather torpedo attack was not possible! Often in stormy weather captains U-Boot saw the enemy ship, but could not do anything! Had to wait for better weather or move to another hunting area!

Big waves of the Atlantic Ocean does not normally allow the team to visit the toilet! :D
Or you are talking about the game?
I spoke with a former captain of the diesel submarine of the Soviet period, and he confirmed that the severe storm torpedo attack is not possible with the position of the periscope!

15 m/s = 54 Km/h windspeed = Beaufort 7 = 4 - 5.5 meter wave height.
So a torpedo obviously has a depth keeping problem when in "Near Gale" (=Beaufort 7) or above.

What Captain73 and CaliEs are saying is true, but obviously the solution is not preventing torpedo doors from opening during heavy storms.

Imo, it is on the captain to evaluate at any moment the risks and the benefits of a given strategy, and he got the authority to issue any order as far as it doesn't involve an obvious and useless risk for the life of his crew and the safety of his vessel (as it would be ordering deckgun to be manned during a storm).

There are other ways to make torpedo attacks not viable during stormy weather. The first ideas that occur to me:

- making torpedoes to fail (much) more often on heavy waves than during calm weather, especially at shallow depth settings. This bugged stock feature was fixed by TDW and, if needed, we only got to adjust weather related torpedo failure rates :yep:

- making equipments to incur damage due to their misuse. In this special case, setting a random chance that torpedo dors can jam every time they are opened/closed, and increasing this chance on rough seas. This is not featured in game yet, but it is in TDW's todo list :up:

Captain73
07-29-13, 10:28 AM
- making equipments to incur damage due to their misuse. In this special case, setting a random chance that torpedo dors can jam every time they are opened/closed, and increasing this chance on rough seas. This is not featured in game yet, but it is in TDW's todo list :up:

Hi Gap

It's a great idea! :yeah:
I wanted to know the opinion of Dark?

Sartoris
07-29-13, 11:36 AM
Hi Gap

Yes, that sounds good, hopefully TDW will find time for it.:up:

gap
07-29-13, 11:56 AM
Hi Gap

Yes, that sounds good, hopefully TDW will find time for it.:up:

Not really an idea of mine: random equipment damage is an old idea, which has been discussed for quite a long time on this forum. Actually I think it dates back to SHIII or before :)

Captain73
07-29-13, 12:29 PM
Not really an idea of mine: random equipment damage is an old idea, which has been discussed for quite a long time on this forum. Actually I think it dates back to SHIII or before :)

I miss that game(SHIII) ... :wah: But I can not go back :nope:

Fifi
07-29-13, 08:09 PM
Now have problem with electric patches (new entries) :nope:
Remember the problem of cursor not following my speed order?
In fact it was only when underwater switching on electrics...diesel surfaced was fine.
I saw it even without touching cursor...as soon as i dive hence automaticaly switch on electrics, cursor is mouving back 1 knukle :o and doesn't respond anymore.
Each time i activate all electric patches, cursor doesn't respond correctly underwater.
Each time i deactivate those patches, all is fine again...

vdr1981
07-30-13, 05:50 AM

New info on this issue...This only happening with type VIIb, c and a are fine...

volodya61
07-30-13, 06:04 AM
New info on this issue...This only happening with type VIIb, c and a are fine...

It's known bug with VIIB sub..

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2084612&postcount=2377
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2084703&postcount=2381

vdr1981
07-30-13, 06:07 AM

I see, tnx for the explanation Sir.

volodya61
07-30-13, 06:27 AM
..Sir.

:hmmm:
Perhaps I'm mistaken, or this form of addressing is only applicable to the crowned heads :D

SnipersHunter
07-30-13, 06:32 AM
torpedo safe depth

http://attila-kevin.de/var/resizes/TDW-charts/charts4.jpg?m=1369347664

Looks great!

drakkhen20
07-30-13, 06:07 PM
is there a "walkthrough" or a readme about step by step how to install the patch process ?

volodya61
07-30-13, 06:20 PM
is there a "walkthrough" or a readme about step by step how to install the patch process ?

Take a look at the bottom of the post #1..

Fifi
07-30-13, 06:27 PM
Yes, best is to install as stand alone http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205620

volodya61
07-30-13, 07:04 PM
Yes, best is to install as stand alone http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205620

Not 'to install'.. 'to use' is right verb.. we don't need to install the app because it's not a mod..

Fifi
07-30-13, 08:06 PM
Yes, install is the right word, mind you my friend :D
We have to install it on our computer unzipping it at a right place.
To use it, only need to clic mickey icon :O:

drakkhen20
07-30-13, 10:16 PM
fifi, your becoming my new best friend.:rock: thank you again. its hard to track down these things as I have little ones running around and doing crazy stuff so I lose track of where I was at in searching for anything these days. :D

thanks,
drakkhen20

SnipersHunter
07-31-13, 03:28 AM
How does the wolfpackfeature works didnt find a thread for this?:hmmm:

Sjizzle
07-31-13, 06:22 AM
How does the wolfpackfeature works didnt find a thread for this?:hmmm:

u must enable from generic patcher

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/4f93/exbw6lqk9n0d2w8fg.jpg

SnipersHunter
07-31-13, 06:53 AM
And then what i have to do ingame? Must i send every two hours an contact report or what? And are they sending me a radio messege if they comming that they comming?

volodya61
07-31-13, 07:18 AM
And then what i have to do ingame? Must i send every two hours an contact report or what? And are they sending me a radio messege if they comming that they comming?

This is a short answer (cutting of the post #1) -

...starting with v1.0.68.0 added a new patch to SH5.exe: there is a 10% chance that Bdu will vector subs (up to 4) to your position when you send in a contact report

starting with v1.0.69.0 revised the Contact reports wolfpack patch

starting with v1.0.70.0 revised the Contact reports wolfpack patch. When Bdu responds back it now uses the radio message window instead of the messagebox. There are 3 possible responses that Bdu can send back. Now using the game's function to determine if able to receive radio messages or not.

starting with v1.0.72.0 revised the Contact reports wolfpack patch. Now when the dispatched subs spawn they will send a radio message to you. There are 5 possible responses. Bdu also has 5 possible responses.

starting with v1.0.73.0 revised the Contact reports wolfpack patch. If Bdu can't dispatch subs to you they will send you a radio message (could take up to an hour to receive). Any unit sending out a radio message is checked to see if it's able to send out a radio message (currently only it's depth is checked to see if it's less than max depth game has for sending/receiving radio messages). Revised some code to prevent possible CTD...

Or you can start from here (post #1120) and look/read further - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181433&page=75

SnipersHunter
07-31-13, 09:48 AM
How can i see if the installation worked?

volodya61
07-31-13, 09:53 AM
How can i see if the installation worked?

What installation?

SnipersHunter
07-31-13, 10:12 AM
I meaned the TDW Generic Patch. I want to see if everythink i activated/fixed with it works in the game.
EDIT:WTF i shoot a torpedo and its running in a circle, what is this? I shootet 6 Torpedos and everyone was a circle runner.

Sjizzle
07-31-13, 11:08 AM
thie mod will solve your problem

FX Update torpedoes (modified for torpedoes failure patches)

SnipersHunter
07-31-13, 11:10 AM
I just have to activate it with JSGME or?

Sjizzle
07-31-13, 11:30 AM
I just have to activate it with JSGME or?

yup u must activate it with JSGME

SnipersHunter
07-31-13, 11:31 AM
Ok thx dude!:)

SU-33UB
08-02-13, 12:46 PM
what do i need to got the ask for
Enable the electrics on the surfaced ?

volodya61
08-02-13, 02:40 PM
what do i need to got the ask for
Enable the electrics on the surfaced ?

NewUIs v7.5.0 or greater.. this version is a test version at the moment and wasn't released yet..

TheDarkWraith
08-05-13, 03:15 PM
I'm out on the road again flying around everywhere so my time is limited currently.

v1.0.146.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.146.0 fixed bug in determine whether unit has radio capability code that was incorrectly calculating the current damage to the zone. Add a new patch to SHCollisions.act and SHSim.act: Units must use radio to contact other units about contacts. This new patch forces the units to use their radio to contact other units in regards to a contact they have spotted. If unit spots a new contact: game will see if unit has radio transmit capability. If it does not nothing happens. If it does have radio transmit capability: it will broadcast a message to each unit of it's own nationality in the game. Each unit will be tested to see if it has radio receive capability. If it does not then it does not receive the message. If it does then it will receive the message and set course for the unit that dispatched the message. All this depends on gap's Ship radio damage work. If the unit does not have the zones for radio room or transmit/receive antennas then the patch considers them as available and can be used. Ensure to check the Files= entry for the new patches!

Strategic placement of deckgun/AA shells is paramount now! A correctly placed shell will disable the unit's radio and thus make life much easier for you!!

:|\\

SnipersHunter
08-05-13, 03:25 PM
Hey TDW have i download everythink or can i anywhere download just the update files?

TheDarkWraith
08-05-13, 03:36 PM
Let's see what happens in game. Ideally, disabling foe's radio equipment before our position is radioed, should be a matter of wise aiming mixed with a little dose of luck :up:

Proper placement of shell is paramount now :up:

Do you mean by any chance that we can have more than one radio room and/or antenna of the same type, and that they all need to be destroyed before the radio transmission/reception abilities of the parent unit are disabled?

No. You can define up to 15 radio rooms and 15 transmit and 15 receive antennas. If the unit is trying to radio out: patch will look for one radio room and one transmit antenna. If it finds one of each then unit is able to radio out. If the unit is trying to receive radio: patch will look for one radio room and one receive antenna. If it finds one of each then unit is able to receive radio.

Sounds good enough. Another way to do it could be by marking aircraft as destroyed once cockpit/pilot zones are destroyed or damaged beyond a certain level (sort of critical damage for planes). Thanks to your other patch, pilotless planes wouldn't wanish in the air but they would start falling down.

Give me the numbers of the zones you want to use for the airplanes and I'll code it in :up:

By the way of killed pilots, would you be able to track down the damage of a zone placed directly on them rather than on aircraft's model? This would make box editing much faster (only one box on the pilot shared by many aircrfat, rather than 1-2 boxes for each aircraft) :yep:

Too difficult to do (too much code for little return).

The only problem would be if a ship had more than one sensor of the same type. How could we tell your patch which one was destroyed? Maybe by assigning a damage box to each of the sensor linking bones or, better, directly to the GR2 sensors? Being dummy adimentional objects, I wonder if linking bones or sensors can take damage when given a damage box :hmmm:

Different zone numbers

See above in yellow.

Thank you for your work! Thank Volodya61 for the translation!
Yellow triangle more I can not see! :yeah: :sunny:

But ....
My gunners continue to independently identify targets?! You can make a player (captain), he pointed at the target, and thus gave the command to destroy the ship? (Eg I looked through the binoculars and pressed the space bar!) ....
In other words .... We need to remove all the initiative in the actions of people with 88mm guns! :06:

With the patch enabled my gunners no longer shoot at targets on their own (unless I give them the order to shoot freely). Everything is working as designed. Did you give you crew the order to shoot freely? That would explain why they are attacking a unit when you press the spacebar.

You can get to 20mm Flak on orders Player (binoculars and space) opened fire on the enemy ship?

Don't understand the question.

P.S. Like the idea ....

Game already has provisions for this in the .cfg file of the unit.

Captain decides whether to fire, not the weather.

See above in yellow.

Fifi
08-05-13, 03:37 PM
Hey TDW have i download everythink or can i anywhere download just the update files?

You have to download whole patcher each time for new version.
No separated update files.
Easy enough with the snapshot feature to restaure all your activated patches :up:

TheDarkWraith
08-05-13, 03:37 PM

Don't understand the question. If you are wanting to upgrade to newest version then you have to download it from post #1 and follow the directions on post #1 (disable all patches with old version first!)

volodya61
08-05-13, 05:09 PM
I'm out on the road again flying around everywhere so my time is limited currently.

v1.0.146.0 released. See post #1

Thank you TDW
Have a good trip :salute:

Generic Patcher manual Ru (1.0.134 test - 1.0.146) - http://www.4sync.com/archive/Yl-WsR-a/Generic_Patcher_manual_Ru__101.html

@Gap

Gabriele, are these files (I mean modified .zon files for the units) compatible with FX Update? NewUIs? OHII? or were they modified just for the stock game?

Fifi
08-05-13, 05:46 PM
@Gap

Gabriele, are these files (I mean modified .zon files for the units) compatible with FX Update? NewUIs? OHII? or were they modified just for the stock game?

Same question :D

Plus: new mod called "SM_Wounded_Unit_Radioing" is working for single mission as test...but i guess it's working in campaign too?
(i saw all the sea files in it, supposing all boats are adapted now with radio beeing destroyable in career)
So activating it at end of list should be fine for career? (with patch enabled of course)

TheDarkWraith
08-05-13, 05:53 PM
Thank you TDW
Have a good trip :salute:

Generic Patcher manual Ru (1.0.134 test - 1.0.146) - http://www.4sync.com/archive/Yl-WsR-a/Generic_Patcher_manual_Ru__101.html

@Gap

Same question :D

Plus: new mod called "SM_Wounded_Unit_Radioing" is working for single mission as test...but i guess it's working in campaign too?
(i saw all the sea files in it, supposing all boats are adapted now with radio beeing destroyable in career)
So activating it at end of list should be fine for career? (with patch enabled of course)

all the updated .zon files came from here (top of the post): http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2085284&postcount=2411

If gap has updated them I don't have them. I have what he originally released and that is what is included in the single missions (SM_x).

The only way the new .zon files are going to work in single missions or campaign is if they are included in a mod. I have to update FX_Update with these and release a new version. I'm waiting for gap to finish all of them first.

volodya61
08-05-13, 06:20 PM
all the updated .zon files came from here (top of the post): http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2085284&postcount=2411

If gap has updated them I don't have them. I have what he originally released and that is what is included in the single missions (SM_x).

The only way the new .zon files are going to work in single missions or campaign is if they are included in a mod. I have to update FX_Update with these and release a new version. I'm waiting for gap to finish all of them first.

Ah, I see.. thanks :up:
Don't forget torpedoes explosion add-on when you'll update FXU :03:

@Gap

Gabriele, I hope you'll make the version with the OHII's ships also :salute:

gap
08-05-13, 06:45 PM
No. You can define up to 15 radio rooms and 15 transmit and 15 receive antennas. If the unit is trying to radio out: patch will look for one radio room and one transmit antenna. If it finds one of each then unit is able to radio out. If the unit is trying to receive radio: patch will look for one radio room and one receive antenna. If it finds one of each then unit is able to receive radio.

Okay, perfectly clear. You forgot to mention that if one of the zones required by ships for sending/receiving radio transmissions is missing from her zon file, your patch will place "virtual" and indestructible radio equipment aboard. Isn't it? :)

Give me the numbers of the zones you want to use for the airplanes and I'll code it in :up:

There are not such a zones in the stock zones.cfg. Ideally we would need for one cockpit zone definition and one pilot/copilot zone definition. Tomorrow I will set them, and I will post their numbers here :salute:

Too difficult to do (too much code for little return).

Okay, no problem.

Different zone numbers

You probably misunderstood me.

According to their historical equipments, some ships are fitted (or should be fitted) with more than one radar/sonar/hydrophone etc. It would be nice if only the sensor being hit/damaged was disabled, but not the ones of the same type. As I see it, the easiest way to do it would be by setting just some generic sensor zones (i.e. Sensor1, Sensor2, Sensor3, etc.) with their corresponding rooms (i.e. SensorRoom1, SensorRoom2, SensorRoom3, etc.). If for example either Sensor3 or SensorRoom3 (damage boxes) are destroyed, your patch should check for the sensor linking bone that Sensor3 is attached to. If it is, let's say, cfg#R02, then the radar attached to it should be destroyed, whereas eventual other radars should remain operative. Is it possible?

Another nice feature that I thought of, would be linking the effectiveness of each sensor to the percent damage suffered by its Sensor/SensorRoom zones... :hmmm:

@Gap

I can hardly remember the last time I played/tested SH5 without FX Updates/IRAI.

All the zon files I have tweaked for the radio damage patch, are from FXU. The Zones.cfg tweaked by me is based of the "regular" version of the file contained in FXUpdates. If one wanted to make it compatible with other versions of the file (alternative sinking mechanics, damage management patch, etc.), all he needs to do is copying/pasting my new zone definitions into the old Zones.cfg files. With this purpose I have marked the new zones with comment lines. Just make sure to update both the index on top of the file and the defintions themselves towards its end :up:

TheDarkWraith
08-05-13, 06:53 PM
Okay, perfectly clear. You forgot to mention that if one of the zones required by ships for sending/receiving radio transmissions is missing from her zon file, your patch will place "virtual" and indestructible radio equipment aboard. Isn't it? :)

If the patch does not find a radio room and/or antenna zone then it assumes that it exists and is undamaged. That way units without radio rooms and antenna zones can use the radio :up:

Something to think about with the new units must use radio patch: if AI crew damage control is enabled then crew will try to repair radio :D If they are able to repair the radio then they will put out a radio message for help. You have been warned :up:

gap
08-05-13, 07:00 PM
Something to think about with the new units must use radio patch: if AI crew damage control is enabled then crew will try to repair radio :D If they are able to repair the radio then they will put out a radio message for help. You have been warned :up:

Good idea.

Just a small detail for immersion: can you disable the "scope sighted" and "ship sinking" messages generated by your UI mod, when/if the ship dispatching them got her radio equipment destroyed? :D

TheDarkWraith
08-05-13, 07:04 PM
Good idea.

Just a small detail for immersion: can you disable the "scope sighted" and "ship sinking" messages generated by your UI mod, when/if the ship dispatching them got her radio equipment destroyed? :D

I'm actually revising this. Since my knowledge of the game has grown tremendously I can do things I couldn't before. What I'm going to do is if a unit 'sets' the player's sub or any sub as a contact I'm going to have the game fire off a new command to the scripts. My UIs mod will intercept this new command and play the appropriate message. I'm going to do the same thing for when a unit is destroyed (I have that already for destroyed units but need to update to check to see if radio is operational) :up:

gap
08-05-13, 07:21 PM
I'm actually revising this. Since my knowledge of the game has grown tremendously I can do things I couldn't before. What I'm going to do is if a unit 'sets' the player's sub or any sub as a contact I'm going to have the game fire off a new command to the scripts. My UIs mod will intercept this new command and play the appropriate message. I'm going to do the same thing for when a unit is destroyed (I have that already for destroyed units but need to update to check to see if radio is operational) :up:

Cooool, thanks :sunny:

A couple more of suggestions:

Add a new patch to SHCollisions.act and SHSim.act: Units must use radio to contact other units about contacts. This new patch forces the units to use their radio to contact other units in regards to a contact they have spotted. If unit spots a new contact: game will see if unit has radio transmit capability. If it does not nothing happens. If it does have radio transmit capability: it will broadcast a message to each unit of it's own nationality in the game. Each unit will be tested to see if it has radio receive capability. If it does not then it does not receive the message. If it does then it will receive the message and set course for the unit that dispatched the message.

- can you make units of different nationalities to radio communicate if they are within the same (mixed nationality) convoy?

- can you make ships to communicate even though they have their radio equipment damaged, if they are within a given percent of their current visual range (as determined by sensor's sim and sim.cfg settings) from each other? This is to simulate the usage of signaling flags :03:

P.S: at night you could check if they have serchlights ;)

All this depends on gap's Ship radio damage work. If the unit does not have the zones for radio room or transmit/receive antennas then the patch considers them as available and can be used. Ensure to check the Files= entry for the new patches!

Now that the new patch is released I will add radio receiver antennas to stock ships, and with the time I will update the zon files of non-stock ships imported so far :up:

TheDarkWraith
08-05-13, 07:24 PM
A couple of suggestions:

- can you make units of different nationalities to radio communicate if they are within the same (mixed) convoy?

- can you make ships to communicate even though they have their radio equipment damaged, if thei are within a given percent of their current visual range (as determined by sensor's sim and sim.cfg settings)? This is to simulate the usage of signaling flags :03:

Now that the new patch is released I will add radio receiver antennas to stock ships, and with the time I will update the zon files of non-stock ships imported so far :up:

I should've said same side vice nationality. If the unit is axis it will radio to all axis units. If the unit is allies then it will radio to all allies units.

Good idea on the visual range. I'll code something in for this. I'll have to take weather into account. If it's heavy fog then no chance of signaling :up:

gap
08-05-13, 07:37 PM
I should've said same side vice nationality. If the unit is axis it will radio to all axis units. If the unit is allies then it will radio to all allies units.

Okay :up:

Good idea on the visual range. I'll code something in for this. I'll have to take weather into account. If it's heavy fog then no chance of signaling :up:

Please have a look at my PS:

P.S: at night you could check if they have serchlights ;)

I am not sure about it, but I think they might have used searchlights for communicating at night, when no other means to do it were available. You could compare range among ships with searchlight's visual range (again, their range should be affected by weather and fog).

Moreover, should we keep horns in consideration? How far were they audible?

TheDarkWraith
08-05-13, 07:38 PM
I think you need to increase the size of the radio room to include a little more of the superstructure. The Armor level needs to be some value other than -1. I think 1 would suffice (radio is very thin metal). Hit points needs to be way less than 30 also. I was having fun with the new patch (and the guy sitting next to me on the plane is really interested in it also :D) and was unable to knock the radio out with one shot of the deck gun. If you don't knock it out with one shot then unit radios for assistance. I had to lower the hitpoints down to 5 just to be able to take it out with one shot :hmmm: Now I'm waiting for the AI crew to fix the radio and then radio for assistance :D

gap
08-05-13, 07:42 PM
I think you need to increase the size of the radio room to include a little more of the superstructure. The Armor level needs to be some value other than -1. I think 1 would suffice (radio is very thin metal). Hit points needs to be way less than 30 also.

If you don't knock it out with one shot then unit radios for assistance. I had to lower the hitpoints down to 5 just to be able to take it out with one shot :hmmm: Now I'm waiting for the AI crew to fix the radio and then radio for assistance :D

Okay, I knew there was going to be some finetuning involved. I am taking note of your suggestions :up:

...I was having fun with the new patch (and the guy sitting next to me on the plane is really interested in it also :D)...

:rotfl2:

gap
08-05-13, 08:05 PM
The Armor level needs to be some value other than -1. I think 1 would suffice (radio is very thin metal).

I am having a second thought on your armor level suggestion.

Radio equipment was protected by a thin metal sheet, fair enough, but before damaging it, a shell should have penetrated superstructure's wall/ceiling. Warhship's command decks and superstructure were often reinforced with armor plate, though not as thick as their hull.

I would set RadioRoom's AP to -0.5 or -0.33, but I think I have read somewhere that decimal numbers are not compatible with parent-relative settings. This leaves me with just one option: making the calculations manually, and setting radioroom's AP individually for each ship :hmmm:

TheDarkWraith
08-05-13, 08:10 PM

Radio equipment was protected by a thin metal sheet, fair enough, but before damaging it, a shell should have penetrated superstructure's wall/ceiling. Warhship's command decks and superstructure were often reinforced with armor plate, though not as thick as their hull.

I would set RadioRoom's AP to -0.5 or -0.33, but I think I have read somewhere that decimal numbers are not compatible with parent-relative settings. This leaves me with just one option: making the calculations manually, and setting radioroom's AP individually for each ship :hmmm:

negative decimal numbers should be fine :up: I'm pretty sure I posted about this in this thread some time ago.

Found a bug in the current version. I forgot to include the new zones of radio and the antennas in the zones crew is allowed to repair :-? I'll have to release a revised version here soon.

7thSeal
08-05-13, 08:17 PM

Is it possible having separate levels of damage for armor piercing and explosive rounds for the radio? Like maybe the armor piercing rounds able to take out the radio quicker.

gap
08-05-13, 08:28 PM
negative decimal numbers should be fine :up: I'm pretty sure I posted about this in this thread some time ago.

Excellent! This will spare me the hassle to set AP's manually for each ship :up:

Is it possible having separate levels of damage for armor piercing and explosive rounds for the radio? Like maybe the armor piercing rounds able to take out the radio quicker.

Yes, this is how shells are set (without need of any tweak): HE rounds have a wider blast radius than AP shells at the cost of a lower armor penetration, but if they manage to penetrate a zone, they also make more damage. :yep:

7thSeal
08-05-13, 08:35 PM
I see, so with AP being used against radio you'd likely reach the zone quicker but would need to be more precise with your aiming. :)

gap
08-05-13, 08:56 PM
I see, so with AP being used against radio you'd likely reach the zone quicker but would need to be more precise with your aiming. :)

To my knowledge, the only advantage of using AP shells would be with more heavily armored ships/zones, in case HE shells fail to penetrate them.
This is relative to any ship compartment, not only radio rooms.

TheDarkWraith
08-05-13, 09:15 PM
Just verified negative numbers other than -1 are acceptable as armor level in zone file. I set the radio room to -0.5 and saw AP of zone(box) in game as 7.5 (unit was 15).

The radio room box needs to extend all the way out to the sides of the ship (or out to the sides of the width of the biggest box it's part of). The max radius of the AP shell is 0.2 and I never incur any damage to the radio room even when I hit it square on the side (NLL). The radius from impact point to the radio room box is always around 0.37 thus it never incurs any damage (0.2 is max radius of AP shell) :-?.

I widened the radio room box and finally got the impact radius to around 0.15 (AP shell). This resulted in damage to the radio room box of only 1.7 HPs. Clearly this is not 50% of it's HPs (30) so taking out the radio room with one shot is currently not possible.

I think widening the radio room's box, setting the armor value to -0.5 or -0.33 and reducing HPs to 10-15 might do it. It's going to take lots of testing to figure out correct values :-?

The radio patch says if radio room and/or antenna is > 50% damaged then unit is unable to send/receive radio. We need to get the damage with one shell hit to 60-75%.

gap
08-05-13, 09:40 PM
Just verified negative numbers other than -1 are acceptable as armor level in zone file. I set the radio room to -0.5 and saw AP of zone(box) in game as 7.5 (unit was 15).

The radio room box needs to extend all the way out to the sides of the ship (or out to the sides of the width of the biggest box it's part of). The max radius of the AP shell is 0.2 and I never incur any damage to the radio room even when I hit it square on the side (NLL). The radius from impact point to the radio room box is always around 0.37 thus it never incurs any damage (0.2 is max radius of AP shell) :-?.

In other words, when two boxes are one inside another, the second box can only get damage from blast damage, i.e. direct hits are calculated only for the first box, and they are not passed on to the second inner one? :-?

I widened the radio room box and finally got the impact radius to around 0.15 (AP shell).

Instead of widening radioroom boxes abnormally, what about scaling down/splitting nearby zones, so to avoid zone overlappings as much as possible? I like damage boxes to follow ships' meshes as closely as possible :hmm2:

This resulted in damage to the radio room box of only 1.7 HPs. Clearly this is not 50% of it's HPs (30) so taking out the radio room with one shot is currently not possible.

I think widening the radio room's box, setting the armor value to -0.5 or -0.33 and reducing HPs to 10-15 might do it. It's going to take lots of testing to figure out correct values :-?

Okay, we are lucky that this is easily doable. In any case, I wouldn't espect an 88 mm gun to get rid of the radio equipment of a warship in a single shot. A bomber or another warship maybe, but not an U-boat's deck gun :yep:

Fifi
08-05-13, 10:00 PM
In any case, I wouldn't espect an 88 mm gun to get rid of the radio equipment of a warship in a single shot. A bomber or another warship maybe, but not an U-boat's deck gun :yep:

:o Are you sure of that? Depending what warship...

gap
08-05-13, 10:02 PM
about visual signals used by WWII convoys:

http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/extras/index.html?src.php~exmain

:o Are you sure of that? Depending what warship...

A single U-boat shell disabling a battleship radio... very unlikely. As I said before, guns, turrets, command rooms and even decks had some armor plating. Not as strong as the one reinforcing their hull, but if it wasn't effective against an 8.8 cm round, what would have been its use? :hmmm:

Tomorrow I will post some numerical examples :up:

Fifi
08-05-13, 10:18 PM
Hmm...88 german guns were used quite successfuly vs any allied tanks...

BTW, while you are here Gap, do we still need SM_Wounded_Unit_Radioing after new FX 0.22 release?
I have edited my AST mod zones like yours.

TheDarkWraith
08-05-13, 10:22 PM
Hmm...88 german guns were used quite successfuly vs any allied tanks...

BTW, while you are here Gap, do we still need SM_Wounded_Unit_Radioing after new FX 0.22 release?
I have edited my AST mod zones like yours.

No. Those SM_x's were just for testing purposes and they are NOT to be enabled all the time.

TheDarkWraith
08-05-13, 10:25 PM
In other words, when two boxes are one inside another, the second box can only get damage from blast damage, i.e. direct hits are calculated only for the first box, and they are not passed on to the second inner one? :-?

If there are boxes inside boxes then the first box that is hit is considered the impact point. The radius from impact point to next box is calculated and if that distance is > max range of shell/torpedo then no damage is incurred to that box. That is why I said we need to enlarge the radio room/antenna boxes so that they are at least the size of any containing boxes.

Even if a 88mm shell is not able to take out the radio room in a warship (but I do think it could) it definitely should be able to take out a radio room in a merchant.

TheDarkWraith
08-05-13, 10:28 PM
v1.0.147.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.147.0 fixed bug of new radio room and antenna zones not enabled in AI crew damage control patch. Now the AI crew is able to repair these zones (if they aren't damaged too much and/or flooded too much)

Tomorrow I will add code so that unit is able to signal other units if radio is disabled and other units are within visual/signaling range.

Fifi
08-05-13, 11:29 PM
... if radio is disabled and other units are within visual/signaling range.

Would be nice to have the light signal code a la SH4 :up:

volodya61
08-06-13, 01:30 AM
Generic Patcher manual Ru (1.0.134 test - 1.0.147) - http://www.4sync.com/archive/xhH4LnGL/Generic_Patcher_manual_Ru__101.html

Captain73
08-06-13, 09:29 AM

Don't understand the question.

My boys Flak 20 mm, shoot at enemy planes!
I can't force them to shoot at the enemy ship!

Captain73
08-06-13, 09:46 AM
But ....
In other words .... We need to remove all the initiative in the actions of people with 88mm guns!

With the patch enabled my gunners no longer shoot at targets on their own (unless I give them the order to shoot freely). Everything is working as designed. Did you give you crew the order to shoot freely? That would explain why they are attacking a unit when you press the spacebar.

My 88 mm gun shoots only after clicking on the icon interface!
Guys have guns 88 mm themselves choose whom to shoot!
I cannot specify the ship, which must be destroyed!

gap
08-06-13, 04:20 PM

I widened the radio room box and finally got the impact radius to around 0.15 (AP shell). This resulted in damage to the radio room box of only 1.7 HPs. Clearly this is not 50% of it's HPs (30) so taking out the radio room with one shot is currently not possible.

I don't get it.

AP shell's MinEF is set to 8. How do you get a damage which is lesser than the set minimum? :hmmm:

There is more: going by my settings and by the explosion damage formula posted by you here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2084157&postcount=2356) (explosive damage applied only if random (MinEF, MaxEF) > 4 * ArmorLevel), the NLL shouldn't have incurred in any blast damage, since 16 (i.e. AP shell's MaxEF) is lesser than 4 * 15 (i.e. NLL's radio room ArmorLevel, taken from ship's collisionable object controller) :06:

volodya61
08-06-13, 05:29 PM
Gabriele, are you going to edit OHII ships also? I ask because OHII convoys mostly contain imported .dat ships.. :06:

gap
08-06-13, 06:07 PM
Gabriele, are you going to edit OHII ships also? I ask because OHII convoys mostly contain imported .dat ships.. :06:

yes I will, and MTNS' ships too, if there is any interest on them :up:

But before working on them, I want to finetune stock ship settings according to TDW's remarks. Right now I am going post a couple of adjusted zon files that I worked on today, just for testing purposes :salute:

volodya61
08-06-13, 06:30 PM
yes I will, and MTNS' ships too, if there is any interest on them :up:

You think so?? I don't.. NewUIs + MTNS together are too hard for any machine.. I guess nobody use NASA computers here.. yet..

But before working on them, I want to finetune stock ship settings according to TDW's remarks. Right now I am going post a couple of adjusted zon files that I worked on today, just for testing purposes :salute:

Unfortunately, Fifi and Sjizzle are the only testers here at the moment :shifty:

gap
08-06-13, 06:56 PM
You think so?? I don't.. NewUIs + MTNS together are too hard for any machine.. I guess nobody use NASA computers here.. yet..

That is a real shame. I wonder if the problem with this mod is the huge number of ships itself, or the addition of too many campaign layers for handling them :hmmm:

Unfortunately, Fifi and Sjizzle are the only testers here at the moment :shifty:

sunny days, vacations, hot temperatures making our computers to blow up and our brains to go haywire, are an explosive mixture for our little community.

Unfortunately in this case I need for TDW, because using holly debug he can see what is actually going on in game whereas we should judge the results of our tests empirically, from (not so clear) game outcomes...

gap
08-07-13, 07:19 PM
Following the report by TDW, about the new radio patch, I have reworked RadioRooms's zone settings and rearranged the damage boxes of a couple of ships. Download link below:

Ship Radio Damage Patch Test 1 (http://www.mediafire.com/?51xnqlbaznwtalp)

What I have done:

- RadioRoom zone settings:

based on the formulas that a while ago TDW has posted in this thread, I have created a spreadsheet for previewing the effect of different Armor Level and HitPoint settings on the damage made by U-boat's ordnance on different ship types. This is what we had so far:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9440/8r6s.jpg

Game settings on the right (RadioRoom settings marked in yellow), espected results on the left:

Legend:

zone armor: the armor level of the radio room, as determined by ships' main armor levels and by radio room's armor level setting.

piercing chance: percent chance that a shell will pierce radio room's armor, on a direct impact (color code: green - the shell has a 100% probability to penetrate the armor; red - the shell won't penetrate; orange - there is a random chance to penetrate the radio room).

blast effectiveness: the capability of a shell to cause damage to the radio room at different ranges from the impact point (color code: green - as far as the shell hits a point which is within its blast radius from the radioroom, the radio room will get damage; red - no matter how close the impact point is to the radio room, the shell is unable to damage it; orange - distance of the radio room from the impact point is critical [no damage done at the furtest damage radius]).

- number of round needed: max/min estimated number of shells hitting the radio room (or a point close enough to the radio room for it to take damage from blast explosion) required for radio equipment to be disabled. Double these numbers for getting an estimations of rounds required for the zone to be destroyed permanently.

As you can see, with previous settings (Armor Level: -1, HitPoints: 30) the only possible damage was from direct impact, with various piercing chances depending on the shell used (AP 88mm shell more advantageous) and on the armor level of the target ship; battleships and some destroyers invulnerable, no matter the ordnance used against them. In theory, disabling the radio equipment of the vunerable ships would have taken 1-2 88mm shells, but since their radio room was surrounded by other zones, a direct impact was impossible and their radio room practically indestructible.

The new settings now (Armor Level: -0.25, HitPoints: 50):

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3425/xhxk.jpg

As you can see, for most ships a direct impact has a 100% chace of penetrating radio room's armor, no matter the ordnance used. The one exception are battleships which would require AP 88mm shells with only a 27% chance of success. For other ships the best ordnance selection is 88mm HE, due to their ability to cause blast damage on most ships. Another advantage of HE over AP shells, is that a smaller number of them is going to be required (1-3 vs. 2-4).
The only minus I can see, is that in my opinion 20mm shells are a bit too overpowered now, but addressing this flaw would require editing some other parameters which are not the focus of this mod.

If someone else wants to play with diffrent parameters, I can upload my spreadsheet here.

- Damage boxes

For testing purposes, I have worked on only two ships at the moment: the Appalachian, and the NLL that TDW had been playing with the last night.

I have made just minor changes to their radio room boxes, but I have made space around them, scaling down and/or moving other surrounding boxes. Now nothing is on the way between our muzzles and the radio rooms, so direct hits should be finally possible.

Moreover, I have added to both ships all the missing radio antennas. The Appalachian has now 2 transmitting radio antennas (one on each side of the horizontal element below the huge radar antenna), and 8 receiving antennas (i.e. one for each of the wires connecting the radar mast with the fore and the aft masts). As for the NLL, she got 1 transmit antenna (the horizontal element on the aft mast, just below the flag pole) and 2 receiving antennas (1 for each of the two halves composing the wire which connects the two masts). Getting rid of them in 1-2 shots is obviously impossible, but you can aim to the masts which they are linked to in order to remove them permanently :arrgh!:

I am waiting for feed back, before applying the above changes to other ships :up:

Macardigan
08-08-13, 07:59 AM
Thedarkwraith

Can you put the link to download v 1.0.121. genericpatcher.

i need it.

thanks.

greetings to all.:smug:

volodya61
08-08-13, 08:31 AM
Can you put the link to download v 1.0.121. genericpatcher.

I have v128 (the last version before rewriting/recoding the app) if you need it..

Macardigan
08-08-13, 08:56 AM
I have v128 (the last version before rewriting/recoding the app) if you need it..

(translation from spanish)

v.1.0.121 ---> Used version to make "24flotilla UnterseebootMOD 3.01" sub-mod: 24parches

If I use later version to access, I have error.

Fifi
08-08-13, 03:45 PM
Unfortunately, i used to have very old versions of patcher...untill yesterday when i cleaned my hard drive...oldest i still have is .125 if needed.

vlad29
08-08-13, 04:02 PM
That is a real shame. I wonder if the problem with this mod is the huge number of ships itself, or the addition of too many campaign layers for handling them :hmmm:

I've used NewUIs + OHII v.2.0 + MTNS + 'Harbour' mod in one modlist without problems and help of NASA for a long time:yeah::yeah::yeah:. Don't know if MTNS is compatible with OH v.2.2 or not:06:

vdr1981
08-08-13, 05:15 PM
A sextant bug
the menu sextant appear anywhere ( hydro station, binocular, attack scope, obs scope ) when i close the sextant meny can not use anymore the report botton from any of crew member :/\\!!

I have noticed that also...To fix that just try to chit-chat little bit with deck watch officer, for example, and the bug is gone...Commands are available again...

volodya61
08-08-13, 05:40 PM
I've used NewUIs + OHII v.2.0 + MTNS + 'Harbour' mod in one modlist without problems and help of NASA for a long time:yeah::yeah::yeah:. Don't know if MTNS is compatible with OH v.2.2 or not:06:

As I remember, Uekel made last MTNS/OHII/HarAdd fix for OHII v1.9.. how do you use it with OHII v2.0? :hmmm:

vdr1981
08-10-13, 09:24 AM
I'm able to recharge my batteries with engines of and while i'm static. Is that known bug ?

And i'm also wondering about those cool feature of TDW patcher,deck awash and electric engines on surface...Are they really have some effects on AI detection ability (visual and noise factor) or they're just there for better immersion?

Sartoris
08-10-13, 12:59 PM
And i'm also wondering about those cool feature of TDW patcher,deck awash and electric engines on surface...Are they really have some effects on AI detection ability (visual and noise factor) or they're just there for better immersion?

Yeah, I've been wondering about this myself:hmmm:

volodya61
08-10-13, 01:10 PM
..And i'm also wondering about those cool feature of TDW patcher,deck awash and electric engines on surface...Are they really have some effects on AI detection ability (visual and noise factor) or they're just there for better immersion?
Yeah, I've been wondering about this myself:hmmm:

Yes, these patches/options affects these factors.. and you can check it yourself.. just turn on stock detection circles using OptionsFileEditorViewer.. map tabs..

vlad29
08-10-13, 03:26 PM
As I remember, Uekel made last MTNS/OHII/HarAdd fix for OHII v1.9.. how do you use it with OHII v2.0? :hmmm:

Just installed it and everything was OK:yep:

vdr1981
08-10-13, 04:46 PM
Yes, these patches/options affects these factors.. and you can check it yourself.. just turn on stock detection circles using OptionsFileEditorViewer.. map tabs..

Tnx volodya, i'm glad to hear that!
What about "recharging batteries while static" bug, is that noticed also, or maybe it's problem with my mod soup?

volodya61
08-10-13, 05:07 PM
What about "recharging batteries while static" bug, is that noticed also, or maybe it's problem with my mod soup?

I've never noticed the same.. what sub was it? if it was VIIB, I'll not be surprised, it's very strange sub..

vdr1981
08-10-13, 07:29 PM
I've never noticed the same.. what sub was it? if it was VIIB, I'll not be surprised, it's very strange sub..

Type A...and B. I can't remember for C...I will test that.Anyone noticed something similar? This can be tested in historical mission also...

Edit:
Yep, this happens with type C also...Strange,i really cant'remember what was the case with batteries before...

Fifi
08-10-13, 08:27 PM

Yes, good catch!
I have this too...all stopped and batteries still recharging :nope:
Maybe we could say that we are all stopped but diesels still working and recharging batteries at iddle...

Btw, still can run for ever at 1 knot with no more batteries...well, got a CTD trying this at X256 TC, so i'm not 100% sure :haha:

divingbluefrog
08-11-13, 02:17 AM
If I remember correctly, on Uboat.net I think, there is an article about the fact that the diesel engines can be decoupled with the electric ones, using them to get an extra mile while on surface, or reloading the battery faster.
So, it's not surprising that on "static" you can still reload the batteries.
Could be a bug if you order to stop recharging and still get a recharge input.

volodya61
08-11-13, 05:23 AM
Type A...and B. I can't remember for C...I will test that.Anyone noticed something similar? This can be tested in historical mission also...

Edit:
Yep, this happens with type C also...Strange,i really cant'remember what was the case with batteries before...

Yes, good catch!
Maybe we could say that we are all stopped but diesels still working and recharging batteries at iddle...

Btw, still can run for ever at 1 knot with no more batteries...well, got a CTD trying this at X256 TC, so i'm not 100% sure :haha:

Have a look at the dials guys.. are you sure they don't active?. and shafts don't rotate..

http://s19.postimg.org/6eg6uzwlb/recharge.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/6eg6uzwlb/)

vdr1981
08-11-13, 07:41 AM
Have a look at the dials guys.. are you sure they don't active?. and shafts don't rotate..

http://s19.postimg.org/6eg6uzwlb/recharge.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/6eg6uzwlb/)

i have check that, everything is on dead stop, but batteries, by some magic, are still reloading...

We need someone with older version of TDW patcher to test this also...

Fifi
08-11-13, 06:10 PM
Recharging batteries when all stopped, i have only one RPM gauge working:
http://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_568335rechargingbatteries.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=568335rechargingbatteries.jpg)
No prop turning of course...and no engine animation.
As soon as the charging battery icon stops blinking after ordering ---> right RPM gauge on 500 rpm.

Glock30Eric
08-11-13, 06:17 PM
http://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_568335rechargingbatteries.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=568335rechargingbatteries.jpg)
As soon as the charging battery icon stops blinking after ordering ---> right RPM gauge on 500 rpm.

Yeah baby!!!!!!

TheDarkWraith
08-12-13, 10:09 PM
i have check that, everything is on dead stop, but batteries, by some magic, are still reloading...

We need someone with older version of TDW patcher to test this also...

this is the way the stock game recharges batteries. They never enabled the diesel animation. I'm trying to figure out how to make the diesel animation always active when battery recharging is active.

Stock game bug or feature however you want to look at it.

Yes they do alter the AI detection ability

Would be nice to have the light signal code a la SH4 :up:

What is this? I played SH4 for a total of 10 mins then shelved it. I thought it was total crap.

My boys Flak 20 mm, shoot at enemy planes!
I can't force them to shoot at the enemy ship!

It's on my list of things to figure out (how to make crew shoot AA guns at objects other than airplanes).

Anyone been testing the new radio patch? I see Fifi says it causes problems. I can report that I have no problems nor do I experience any of the symptoms he posted. Can anyone else confirm this :06:

@gap - haven't had any time to test your revised zon files you posted up. Maybe here in a couple of days I'll be able to check them out.

Fifi
08-13-13, 12:18 AM
What is this? I played SH4 for a total of 10 mins then shelved it. I thought it was total crap.

:haha:...no, not total crap imo. Missing SH5 eye candy mainly, but it's very stable game (never had CTD with it even modded)

About light signal in SH4, as soon as a warship (only works with warship) detects you, you can see in his main mast (or is it on top of control room?) a little signal light flashing like using morse with other boats. Very nice feature imo, would be really cool to have it in SH5. Furthermore, it's an indication to know we are detected :D

Back on the Generic Patcher, only 2 sorts of patches are causing me troubles: radio patches (as i explained) and electric patches.
At the point i can't activate them at all.
Electric patches cause my speed cursor to no respond correctly (yes again!) when underwater, and as soon as my sub switch itself on electrics, speed order dials decrease by themselves 1 step below...
Lets say i was running on speed 3 (standart), when sub is switching on electrics all dials decrease to 2 (Inside main room/engine room and my speed cursor)
But it seems my running speed is still corresponding to 3! :doh:

EDIT:
With your latest NewUIs version test, i tried to activate radio patches again...and...it seems to work without any issue (3 tests).
My joy was short ...untill i finished a boat in last single mission (was already dead, but was testing my gun) with deck gun.
The boat finally exploded in huge explosion and burned with the bug:
http://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_778677burningboatbug.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=778677burningboatbug.jpg)
http://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_576261burningboatbug2.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=576261burningboatbug2.jpg)
This never happen without radio patches enabled.
---> i noticed the boat was also firing many red SOS flares, one after one, even when dead...(first time i notice this)
Could it be Old Style explosion mod related? Or Sober's smoke screen (DynEnv&OldStyle Explosions compatible)?

Also, then, i activated electric patches again to see if issue is gone...and it's gone!
So i don't understand...

I'm going to let all patches activated, and test all that in my current career.
Because sometimes things happens in single mission, but not in career...

volodya61
08-13-13, 02:23 AM
..Could it be Old Style explosion mod related? Or Sober's smoke screen (DynEnv&OldStyle Explosions compatible)?..

Is it hard to check? just disable these mods and check..

Fifi
08-13-13, 03:52 AM

:haha:... i will :smug:

Fifi
08-13-13, 06:02 AM

Done, and i still get the bug :nope:
Thanks god it's not old style or smoke screen...cause i love them.

Using TDW torp tutorial single mission vs the liberty ship, i get this bug each time.
Just deactivating radio patches, bug is gone.
Maybe it has something to do with the new antennas radio room hit boxes? Don't know

vdr1981
08-13-13, 09:05 AM
I newer used old style explosions mod and i also have that problem with radio patches, just for the record...:)

vdr1981
08-13-13, 09:09 AM
this is the way the stock game recharges batteries. They never enabled the diesel animation. I'm trying to figure out how to make the diesel animation always active when battery recharging is active.

Tnx for explanation TDW! Now IMO, engine animation is not necessary . We only need some fuel loss during that period. We should not have free energy in the middle of Atlantic...

Fifi
08-13-13, 03:57 PM
I newer used old style explosions mod and i also have that problem with radio patches, just for the record...:)

Good to hear i'm not alone with this bug! :D

TheDarkWraith
08-13-13, 10:57 PM

Back on the Generic Patcher, only 2 sorts of patches are causing me troubles: radio patches (as i explained) and electric patches.
At the point i can't activate them at all.
With your latest NewUIs version test, i tried to activate radio patches again...and...it seems to work without any issue (3 tests).
My joy was short ...untill i finished a boat in last single mission (was already dead, but was testing my gun) with deck gun.
The boat finally exploded in huge explosion and burned with the bug:

This never happen without radio patches enabled.
---> i noticed the boat was also firing many red SOS flares, one after one, even when dead...(first time i notice this)
Could it be Old Style explosion mod related? Or Sober's smoke screen (DynEnv&OldStyle Explosions compatible)?

Done, and i still get the bug :nope:
Thanks god it's not old style or smoke screen...cause i love them.

Using TDW torp tutorial single mission vs the liberty ship, i get this bug each time.
Just deactivating radio patches, bug is gone.
Maybe it has something to do with the new antennas radio room hit boxes? Don't know

Problem was an intermittent one and I was finally able to figure out what was going on (it was some of my new code). Problem has been fixed.

v1.0.148.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.148.0 fixed intermittent bug in Units must use radio patch that could cause endless animation looping and possible CTD. Added a new patch to SH5.exe Advanced users: Damage zone debugging. See the patch's Notes= for info on how to use it.

Fifi
08-13-13, 11:23 PM
:Kaleun_Party: You're an awesome modder! ...Champagne!

Edit: tested with the single mission wich occured each time ---> all is fine again! Good job TDW!

Now, only one patch i don't activate: random visual distance patch. Just because estimation is too far off IMO.
I would prefer few hundreds meters off, rather than more than 1000m!

oakdesign
08-14-13, 01:31 AM
Now, only one patch i don't activate: random visual distance patch. Just because estimation is too far off IMO.
I would prefer few hundreds meters off, rather than more than 1000m!

IMO the randomized offset is not to much off. I sailed on a naval boat for 4 years and believe me distance estmation on the open sea without a visual reference is really hard.
There is no I WO that could estimate distance over 15000m with an offset less than 1000m.

My suggestion would bei if possible to reduce the offset depending on the distance

i.e visual distance > 10000m offset > 1000m
Visual distance between 5000 - 10000m offset 500-1000m
Visual distance < 5000m offset < 500m

Fifi
08-14-13, 01:33 AM
My suggestion would bei if possible to reduce the offset depending on the distance

i.e visual distance > 10000m offset > 1000m
Visual distance between 5000 - 10000m offset 500-1000m
Visual distance < 5000m offset < 500m

I like your idea oakdesign :yeah:

Santini
08-14-13, 03:38 AM
Any chance of linking hydrophone to snorkel, or engine operation?

Havn't gotten far enough in the campaign to test, but one of things I like about the exe fixes for SHIII is that your hydrophones turned off when snorkelling

volodya61
08-14-13, 05:03 AM

Thank you, TDW :salute:

Generic Patcher manual Ru (1.0.134 test - 1.0.148) - http://www.4sync.com/archive/Xky3ZF5i/Generic_Patcher_manual_Ru__101.html

:salute:

vdr1981
08-14-13, 10:15 AM
Problem was an intermittent one and I was finally able to figure out what was going on (it was some of my new code). Problem has been fixed.

Thanks TDW,You're the man!:up:

TheDarkWraith
08-14-13, 07:55 PM
v1.0.149.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.149.0 In the SH5.exe Stadimeter as sextant patch I moved two of the changes to updates so that the Navigator assistant speed calcs feature of my UIs mod will work correctly if Stadimeter as sextant patch is disabled.

gap
08-19-13, 12:37 PM
@gap - haven't had any time to test your revised zon files you posted up. Maybe here in a couple of days I'll be able to check them out.

Looking forward to your news :03:

vdr1981
08-24-13, 03:59 AM
... there is no speed drop while battery recharging is active(type VIIb)?! Any hint ?
I think i cracked this one...:) Check it out... http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=206916

vdr1981
08-25-13, 06:56 AM
I'm able to recharge my batteries with engines of and while i'm static. Is that known bug ?

Yes, good catch!

I've tested this and it looks like this is the case. Fuel usage is present and the only thing is missing is low speed engine animation, which is not problem at all IMO...

Batteries drained to 0, here's fuel level...
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4400/dbdw.jpg

Next day, batteries are at 100% and here's recorded fuel level...
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/919/kiyi.jpg