PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of a Torpedo Into a Stationary Mine?

tomw95
02-13-11, 04:52 PM
Hi

I was just wondering if there were any mods which can convert any of the game's torpedoes into mines which can be used to mine harbours. Like in the early parts of the war against British ports.

P.S It would be nice if it was compatible with GWX3 :up:

Damo
02-14-11, 06:30 AM
In GWX there ARE mines in harbors, and off the coast of England and in the channel after a certain (early) point.

SquareSteelBar
02-14-11, 06:47 AM
...I was just wondering if there were any mods which can convert any of the game's torpedoes into mines...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=94252&highlight=minelayer

SH3 Mines (http://www.sendspace.com/file/8eg9j8) by CB..

Jimbuna
02-14-11, 01:33 PM
The majority of ports have minefields already sown in but they are static....unless of course you mean you want the ability to deposit them yourself using your boat.

Tessa
02-15-11, 07:31 PM
The majority of ports have minefields already sown in but they are static....unless of course you mean you want the ability to deposit them yourself using your boat.

From my comprehension that seems to be what he was asking to do, turn your ship into a minelayer. Irl laying mines was an extremely hazardous duty, almost every captain despised getting ordered to do a mining mission. A few minefields had really great results, in a couple cases closing the entire harbor while they cleared the mines and wrecks that got sunk in shallow water in the process; which put the entire port out of commission to any traffic for weeks or even a couple months.

The biggest problem with laying minefields was being able to gauge/monitor their effectiveness or results. The two most effective mining missions resulted in 20,000 tons of shipping sunk on one, and the other a harbor closure of 2 1/2 months. In terms of renown/progress (irl) towards a RK a mining mission didn't give them anything save a good mark on their record where in cases a promotion was on the borderline or they were 8000 tons from a RK they would have been given the benefit of the doubt from the mining mission.

tomw95
02-16-11, 01:21 PM
Hi

Thanks for the information, I was just wondering if anyone has a download link to the U-Boat Armament (UbA) Mod?

Many Thanks