PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Framedrop

Meldric
01-24-11, 11:31 AM
Hi!

Yesterday I encountered a pretty big convoy (>20 freighters + 8 or 10 support vessels) and I faced a framerat of 10-12 frames all during the attack. My fs is normally between 40-50 and stays above 30 if I close in to a burning ship with the camera easily. I don't have my specs at hand, but it should be more than enough (4 gig of ram, win7 x64, quadcore, a brand new NVidia 470 since a few weeks)...

Is that normal or is there something wrong? I could understand that the processor was under pressure, if the destroyers would behave a bit more intelligent,... (using IRAI, latest version).

I am not a fs junkie at all, but 10 frames renders the game unplayable... is it the number of ships envolved?

Meldric

Defiance
01-24-11, 03:04 PM
Hiya,

I get about the same fps situations and i force my 4890's into xfire

I realise this game engine is built on the sh3 and sh4 one, but to me it's a bad hardcoded problem

Initially the devs tried to sort the 'high fps when inside the boat bug' in the first patch, whatever they did made it somewhat better but for me not totally fixed the problem

I feel we have to live with a huge fps drop though :(

May get to upgrade gpu's later in the year, so hoping in conjunction with an i7 rig and ssd's this sim might play a lot smoother when there's lots of eyecandy around

Would love to hear how a top of the range gpu (at this moment in time i mean) runs on full AA no shadows and almost all check boxes empty lol

So for my answer it's a game problem

THE_MASK
01-24-11, 04:13 PM
I found that TDW FX mod uses lots of FPS .

Defiance
01-25-11, 02:01 AM
Heya,

Not got that one installed or even tried it yet

Will do later if i get chance and see if/how it does drop my fps

Cheers

Meldric
01-25-11, 03:34 AM
I have removed FX Update for a test and I found another convoy after that. It was also rather big, but less destroyers. Framerate was much better, around 30 all the time with a few ships burning. Its hard to say if the FX Update is the cause, though. Because the number of ships was different.

I will keep it that way for now and keep an eye on my fps...
Thx!

THE_MASK
01-25-11, 03:46 AM
Also what Mode AA do you have the card using . I find anything other than Multi sample AA uses too much FPS . I also have Shadow impromvment mod LR and shadows slider in game options set to the middle setting .

stoianm
01-25-11, 04:44 AM
Also what Mode AA do you have the card using . I find anything other than Multi sample AA uses too much FPS . I also have Shadow impromvment mod LR and shadows slider in game options set to the middle setting .

Hi Sober,

What is that Multi sample AA. It is a mod for sh5. If yes can you share the link please (i understood that is a mod that use not to much FPS)

Thank's

Magic1111
01-25-11, 07:11 AM
Hi Sober,

What is that Multi sample AA.
Thank's

Itīs an setting in your VideoCard Driver Options Menu ----> Multi Sampling Anti-Aliasing !

You have the choice between No Anti-Aliasing; MultiSampling Anti-Aliasing and Super-Sampling Antialiasing !

But Multi-Sampling Anti-Aliasing is a good compromise !

Best regards,
Magic

Defiance
01-25-11, 07:24 AM
Hiya,

Been a few years since i used nvidia so bear with me as i only have ati links to hand as such

I'll try and sort a link that goes indepth on AA etc that might help explain a few things

here ya go ...

http://windows7forums.com/hardware/36340-ati-antialiasing.html

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article/2008/07/20/amds_ati_radeon_hd_4800_series_custom_filtering_aa

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

Some heavy reading, but even using nvidia gpu's some items should be on the same wavelength as the above

I just checked and my in-game AA setting was at max (ati control was set to application adjust etc) so now i've dropped game AA down a notch, this should raise fps somewhat but i'll see

Meldric
01-25-11, 07:37 AM
As the application does not tell us what AA is actually selected, I have no clue what maximum really means. I have set AA to something in the middle, however (so maybe 4x or 8x).

stoianm
01-25-11, 07:43 AM
Understood. Thank's for explanations. Realy apreciate! Good day.