PDA

View Full Version : To the modders: What is possible with SH5?

urfisch
01-24-11, 05:17 AM
as we had to recognize, there are more limits we espected to be. so, what can we really expect from sh5?

tdw says the scripting option is revolutionary, privateer says there is a long way to go, before we can make real changes to the game, others say there are to many limitations from the game, so we can not change major parts of the game.

i only see many people abandoned the game, even modders...like me. so what is the future of this game? what is the real potential, honestly? which contents can be changed? is it really possible, to overhaul the game to our needs? or is it simply just polishing the surface of a rock hard coded game content, which is not changeable?

urfisch
01-24-11, 01:01 PM
all i want to point at is, if sh5 really has the potential some are talking of, i and many others might return to this game and help mod it.

BUT

...if the potential is just some kind of "vision and hope" in some hopeful, optimistic modder-brains...the work simply is not worth it.

Bilge_Rat
01-24-11, 01:11 PM
Not as a modder, but an outside observer, it seems to me that SH5 has more potential than SH3/4. SH5 is built on top of the SH3/4 code but comes with some interesting innovations, like the ability to add scripts, wolfpacks and an apparently more sophisticated campaign engine. SH5 does not appear to have much more hard coded bugs than SH3/4 did.

The ability to script behavior appears to be the most exciting. For example, TDW is doing very interesting work with his IRAI mod. You can check out the "Wolfpack" single mission he includes with the mod to get an idea.

reaper7
01-24-11, 01:12 PM
Hi urfish, I've just got back to SH5 myself this week (Was abscent due to real life Issues - but am getting some time to get back to my Sh5 Mods).
One of the biggest Issues I had with Sh5 has been solved from some of the members here, that was the Ship Models stats not matching the figures provided be the devs in the recon manual.
This caused addons like the RABOF to be of no use, but glad to see that issue has been solved :up:.

The biggest issue is with the GR2 Models in my opnion, I see privateer is doing great strides in exporting from this format :yep:.
All I need if to figure out how to get random ship skins working. All my previos attempts failed to get them to show randomly. Need to figure out where SH5 is assigning skins eg to clone ships etc. (Not the master skin thats in the GR2 file, but a file that assigns skins for snow textures and clone ships textures as well as the master ship textures).

Granted there is some stuff that SH5 will possibly never been done like Gridmaps and subnets, but workarounds may be possible.

WOW - just seen on the 6PM news now, That a u-boat has been found of the coast here in Ireland just of county Cork.
Its from WW1 era.

Bilge_Rat
01-24-11, 01:19 PM
One question I had is whether anyone is working on the 1939-43 campaigns?

In SH4, Lurker had taken the time to revamp the campaign files to provide more historical quantity and types of ships/TFs in the shipping lanes.

Has anyone looked into the SH5 campaign files to see what, if anything should be changed?

Zedi
01-24-11, 01:19 PM
Rhetorical question, there is not much to talk about really. For various reasons, the most experienced modders are still moding SH3 and they will do it for another 10 years or more. Is like modding Super Mario forever. Those who like challenges and are more creative, like TDW, will push forward and try to break the limits. I vote with TDW.

One thing for sure, I will never ever buy another Ubi product.

One question I had is whether anyone is working on the 1939-43 campaigns?

In SH4, Lurker had taken the time to revamp the campaign files to provide more historical quantity and types of ships/TFs in the shipping lanes.

Has anyone looked into the SH5 campaign files to see what, if anything should be changed?
I said many times that Im interested in doing this job, but not alone. Is a huge task and require a LOT of work, teamwork is mandatory.

Bilge_Rat
01-24-11, 04:36 PM
I said many times that Im interested in doing this job, but not alone. Is a huge task and require a LOT of work, teamwork is mandatory.

no doubt. :arrgh!:

Reece
01-24-11, 07:22 PM
The way I see it and the reasons I and others don't play or mod it much is that the bugs, in many areas, are still there and the current mods are basically working around these bugs/limitations.:oops:
I would like to see a group of good programmers, like TDW, get together, form a group, and resolve these issues, one at a time to produce an unofficial patch that will bring SH5 to v1.3 or higher, then build the mods on this!:yep: and until this is done I don't see many modders taking a serious effort to mod SH5.:hmmm: IMO!

Sailor Steve
01-24-11, 10:03 PM
Rhetorical question, there is not much to talk about really. For various reasons, the most experienced modders are still moding SH3 and they will do it for another 10 years or more. Is like modding Super Mario forever. Those who like challenges and are more creative, like TDW, will push forward and try to break the limits. I vote with TDW.
And again you can't comment without insulting people. They will continue modding SH3 because it's easy. When SH5 becomes easy to mod they will likely move on. Praising TDW is good - he deserves it. Trashing the others with the "Super Mario" comments is uncalled for.

Personally I haven't applied my Ship Names mod to SH5 because there are hardly any merchants to name, and they've made it as difficult as possible to add new merchants. If it ever does become relatively easy to add new merchants to SH5, we'll see how it goes.

Zedi
01-25-11, 01:40 AM
Im not making up things Steve, it is how it is.

I dont see how can you mod SH5 without own the game (I know the crapy drm is making you to stay away from sh5), but regarding the merchant fleet, if you will ever buy the game try to look at the sh5 campaign engine. There is a lot of random generated stuff, including names. Importing ships is not possible.. yet, but Cerberus managed to make the convoys be more interesting and add more diversity, Reaper found a way to add textures to the merchants but he asked for help, Privateer managed to import once a milkcow but no news since then... so there is still a lot of doable stuff in sh5, its just need more manpower.

SH5 has maybe the most creative workshop on the market, just because its unfinished and so buggy. Its really amazing to see what the SH5 moders did so far and its a joy to see how they manage to break the limits day by day. SH5 workshop is my favorite place on the whole internet :DL

Ubisoft sucks, true story.

Sailor Steve
01-25-11, 12:14 PM
Im not making up things Steve, it is how it is.
I understand, and you have every right to complain. I just object to the "Super Mario" comparison. That you don't like SH3 is not only fine, but understandable. I'm still confident that SH5 is the key to the future, but I don't see the need to criticize people who feel differently.

I dont see how can you mod SH5 without own the game (I know the crapy drm is making you to stay away from sh5), but regarding the merchant fleet, if you will ever buy the game try to look at the sh5 campaign engine. There is a lot of random generated stuff, including names. Importing ships is not possible.. yet, but Cerberus managed to make the convoys be more interesting and add more diversity, Reaper found a way to add textures to the merchants but he asked for help, Privateer managed to import once a milkcow but no news since then... so there is still a lot of doable stuff in sh5, its just need more manpower.
I understand all that, and I'm sure you're right. As I said, my only complaint is to the insults to people who feel differently. I will own it someday, and I'm sure I'll have fun with it. I'm also sure I'll still be friends with the folks who still love SH3, and won't say any negative things about them.

Of course I still sometimes play Aces Of The Deep. I looks positively ugly compared to something like SH5, and yet it's actual gameplay is what the SH series strives for and keeps missing. So for now, for me, SH3 and SH4 still have more to offer.

SH5 has maybe the most creative workshop on the market, just because its unfinished and so buggy. Its really amazing to see what the SH5 moders did so far and its a joy to see how they manage to break the limits day by day. SH5 workshop is my favorite place on the whole internet :DL
The "unfinished" and "buggy" part is almost certainly why most modders are staying away. Most modders aren't interested in fixing problems; they just want to make cool stuff. I can't overcome the problems with adding new ships to the game, I can only do research into what they looked like and what names to give them. This means that, as far as what I can do goes, SH5 is useless to me. I feel confident that that won't always be the case, and I look forward to that day.

Ubisoft sucks, true story.
You get no argument from me there. :sunny: