PDA

View Full Version : What files should be in the stock Radio folder?

Poacher886
01-16-11, 10:20 AM
Hi,

i've got myself in a bit of a mess here where the radio is concerned. Im using the stock game plus TDW Mega_mod / Patch 2.

I decided i wanted my radio to return more than the "Silenthunter theme tune" and opted for the "Grossdeutscher Rundfunk " radio mod. I downloaded to desktop, unzipped it to dektop, then opened up the file.

In the file is another called "Sound", which i opened, in that is another called "Radio", which contains all the various year based files i.e "Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1940" etc. It was the "Radio" file that i moved into my SH5/mods folder and then activated via JSGME.

When i went in-game, and turned the radio on, i was given the usual "Silenthunter theme tune" and bugger all else, depite tuning the radio back and forth. Realising that i had made some mistake, i de-activated the mod in JSGME, deleted it, then deleted all files relating to Grossdeutscher Rundfunk in my Ubisoft / SH5 and Mods folder. I decided to open the radio folder Ubisoft / SH5 / data / sound / radio and remove all files in there aswell just to be sure....except one file "noise.org" which sounded offical so i left it.

I then manually installed into the said radio file the "Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1940" / "Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1941" etc files and tried again in-game.

This time, not only did i not get the desired result, but i could not even tune the radio...the radio being stuck at 00.00.!! i dont get the "Silent hunter theme tune" anymore because i removed it.

So, as a guess, i placed into the radio file the stock "Washington" file that i had also removed, and this gave me back the ability to "tune" the radio, but of course still no "Grossdeutscher Rundfunk " mod sounds.

So this is where im at now. My radio file Ubisoft / SH5 / data / sound / radio, contains Washington / noise.ogg / Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1939 / Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1940 etc and a text file "radio"

My question is, I have no idea what files should be in that folder as stock, what i should see in which file with the mod enabled, and why the mod is not working??

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

ReallyDedPoet
01-16-11, 05:20 PM
If I get a chance a little later on I'll post what I have as a set-up, should help you out.

Watching the Jets\Patriots Game :DL

Poacher886
01-16-11, 06:22 PM
Thanks for your help...i'll take a look after work tomorrow, I really fancy an active radio.!

ReallyDedPoet
01-16-11, 06:24 PM
Thanks for your help...i'll take a look after work tomorrow, I really fancy an active radio.!

No problem :yep:, we'll see if gets you any further ahead.

ReallyDedPoet
01-16-11, 09:51 PM
In the file is another called "Sound", which i opened, in that is another called "Radio", which contains all the various year based files i.e "Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1940" etc. It was the "Radio" file that i moved into my SH5/mods folder and then activated via JSGME.

That's the problem, I should have noticed that earlier. What can I say, I was watching the football game :DL. Anyway, your file-path is incomplete, that is why it is not working.

That mod is JSGME ready ( this is key ), Grossdeutscher Rundfunk(Mod Name)\Data\Sound|Radio <-------- all your various radio stations are in here plus the radio.ini file which sets up the various frequencies they are on.

So you are missing some key folders by just adding the Radio Folder. You need to de-activate, take these radio folders out of JSGME, then go back and extract the entire contents of Grossdeutscher Rundfunk into your Mods Folder in JSGME, then activate.

Make sure you are in port when deactivating-activating stuff.

You should be good to go :yep:

Poacher886
01-17-11, 12:12 PM
Thanks a million, so just to confirm..

Because i opened up the Extracted Grossdeutscher Rundfunk folder and the sound folder, then just placed the radio folder in JSGME is why it did'nt work.

So what your saying is i need to place the entire Grossdeutscher Rundfunk folder into JSGME and activate!

Also, while i realize its not good to enable mods during patrol...would this being a radio mod only; not effect the game state?

Thanks again

ReallyDedPoet
01-17-11, 01:25 PM
Thanks a million, so just to confirm..

Because i opened up the Extracted Grossdeutscher Rundfunk folder and the sound folder, then just placed the radio folder in JSGME is why it did'nt work.

So what your saying is i need to place the entire Grossdeutscher Rundfunk folder into JSGME and activate!

Also, while i realize its not good to enable mods during patrol...would this being a radio mod only; not effect the game state?
Thanks again

Yes correct on why it did not work, that mod is JSGME ready, just place it in your JSGME Mods Folder and activate :yep: Mods have to have a certain folder\file structure for them to work.

Graphic mods that tend to mess just with image files, I have good luck in swapping them in and out, but if you are messing with other stuff ( .cfg, .dat files, etc ), in this case a radio.ini files are also changed, then I am not so sure.

Poacher886
01-17-11, 02:37 PM
Ok, excellent

Before i sweep my SH5 / radio folder clean before re-installing, is there any files like "noise.ogg" that need to be kept in the main radio file?

Basically im now back to my original question...what should i see and leave in the radio file before installing mod?

Cheers

ReallyDedPoet
01-17-11, 02:39 PM
Before i sweep my SH5 / radio folder clean before re-installing, is there any files like "noise.ogg" that need to be kept in the main radio file?

Cheers

Yes keep it in there. All you are doing is rid of those folders you put there.
Keep everything else. Also leave the Washington Folder as it is with stock as well.

Poacher886
01-17-11, 03:48 PM
Thanks again.

Im not quite there yet. I've installed the mod as suggested (which i'd checked before doing it the first time round), and tried the radio....

...It tunes perfectly and picks up G-Runfunk 1939 @ 44.00 and 1940 @ 55.00 etc, all as expected except....

...I can here nothing!, not even the sound of the tuneing. What is concerning me, is that i left as you said the "noise.ogg" file and the "Washinton" file in the radio folder....but i had deleted from my system the "Silenthunter theme tune" that was in there also...im now wondering if that contained the vitals for hearing the sound of the tuner and ultimately the mod sound!??

My SH5 / data / sound / radio / -folder looks as follows:

Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1939
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1940
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1941
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1942
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1943
Washington
noise.ogg
radio (text)

ReallyDedPoet
01-17-11, 06:41 PM
Thanks again.

Im not quite there yet. I've installed the mod as suggested (which i'd checked before doing it the first time round), and tried the radio....

...It tunes perfectly and picks up G-Runfunk 1939 @ 44.00 and 1940 @ 55.00 etc, all as expected except....

...I can here nothing!, not even the sound of the tuneing. What is concerning me, is that i left as you said the "noise.ogg" file and the "Washinton" file in the radio folder....but i had deleted from my system the "Silenthunter theme tune" that was in there also...im now wondering if that contained the vitals for hearing the sound of the tuner and ultimately the mod sound!??

My SH5 / data / sound / radio / -folder looks as follows:

Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1939
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1940
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1941
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1942
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1943
Washington
noise.ogg
radio (text)

I'll have a look at this a bit later :yep: Sounds like a strange one :06:

Budds
01-17-11, 06:42 PM
Radio (text)
or
radio.ini

????

Poacher886
01-18-11, 12:44 PM
Thanks lads,

Sorry it does'nt say "Radio text" i mean its a text file called "Radio"

If i open it is shows...

[GENERAL]
RadioRealism=Yes
StartCh=1
[CHANNEL]
Name=Washington
Folder=Washington
Freq=22
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:44.16,-35.10:100000
;MusicVolumeOnNews takes values from 0.01 to 1
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.4

[CHANNEL]
Name=[GENERAL]
RadioRealism=Yes
StartCh=1
[CHANNEL]
Name=Washington
Folder=Washington
Freq=22
;MusicVolumeOnNews takes values from 0.01 to 1
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.4

[CHANNEL]
Name=Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1939
Folder=Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1939
Freq=44
;MusicVolumeOnNews takes values from 20.01 to 21
MusicVolumeOnNews=20.9
Folder=Grossdeutscher Rundfunk 1939
Freq=44
;MusicVolumeOnNews takes values from 20.01 to 21
MusicVolumeOnNews=20.9

etc etc.....

I do not have a file that say's 'Radio.ini' !!!
Perhaps this is the missing file, although i did empty my SH5 / sound / radio file after realising the mod did not work the first time, i dont remember deleting this....perhaps i did :06:

Having said that, after deleting all, what i thought to be Grossdeutscher Rundfunk related files except 'noise.ogg' and moving the Washinton file to my recycle bin (and thankfully not clearing from), i was only left with the said 'noise.ogg' file in my SH5 / radio folder.....and if i remember rightly, i had a small gaming session after this and noticed i had lost the 'tuneing' noise!!!

Unless you reckon otherwise, it looks as though i ditched the required file. i.e this Radio.ini file.

Please tell me i dont have to re-install the whole game and mods again:wah:

WillyVic
01-18-11, 01:01 PM
Radio (text)
or
radio.ini

????

It is the radio.ini file. He does not have "hide extensions for known file types" unchecked in his folder view options.

WV

WillyVic
01-18-11, 01:16 PM
To answer one of your original questions...this is what you should see in the default **\Silent Hunter 5\data\Sound\Radio folder

http://www.310thvcs.com/images/pics/sh5sound1.jpg

http://www.310thvcs.com/images/pics/sh5sound2.jpg

WV

Poacher886
01-18-11, 01:22 PM
Thanks, i think i've sussed it.

I have the 'Washington' / 'noise.ogg' / and radio file, though mine just says 'Radio' not 'Radio.ini' but looks the same, but when you opened your 'Washington' file, you get two files:

Events
Radio_track.Wav

I have only got 'Events' !!!!

WillyVic
01-18-11, 01:42 PM
The radio_track.wav is in the stock game. I do not know it would matter if it isn't there. It is a music file.

What operating system are you using Poacher? EDIT: Never mind.

If using Win 7 click your start button, type folder options in the box, select folder options from the list, click view tab, scroll down and uncheck hide extensions for known file types. This will give you the .ini/bmp/jpg/txt/etc for your files.

If using Vista or ealier go here: http://filext.com/faq/file_extension_information.php

Hope this helps a bit.

You said you have it "sussed". Can you now hear the music and such?

WV

Poacher886
01-18-11, 02:08 PM
Thanks,

I did as you said (im using W7 x64 by the way), and now it reads 'Radio.ini'

Sorry, i thought i had it sussed because i was missing the radio_track.wav file, but i think i deleted this beacuse it was the "Silenthunter theme tune" which i did not need...the answers no, there is no difference, unless changing the hidden file to Radio.ini makes it work? i have not tried.

WillyVic
01-18-11, 02:12 PM
May sound silly but try it with your sub at a dead stop (no engines running) and turn your sound way up. You said the radio was in fact tuning to the frequencies but you just couldn't hear them. I know if my engine sound is high i have difficulties hearing the music.

On a side note, I downloaded that same sound pack, installed with JSGME, and it worked here.

WV

Poacher886
01-18-11, 03:30 PM
Gents.

Thank you both for your persistance in trying to help me with my radio problem. It has been a hair ripping experience for me, and has of course consumed your well earned time aswell (not to mention spoiling reallydedpoets game he was watching), it seems after much trial and error i have finally found the problem with the said radio.....
...I was *******ING SUBMERGED.

WillyVic
01-18-11, 03:33 PM
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Now THAT is funnny! Glad your all sorted out. Have a good patrol. WV out.

WV

Budds
01-18-11, 03:34 PM
Just to be sure.......

You are trying to listen to the Radio.... while on the SURFACE right ?
As you CANNOT hear it once underwater.

If you cannot get it to work, holler back and One of Us can send you a "Working" radio.ini in case yours has become corrupt for some reason.

And how about the phonograph...... working for you ?

Dont feel bad friend.....
I just spent a couple days trying to get my BBC radio events to work properly...... They worked fine in SH4, but would not in SH5 !
Musta been a typo on my part when I added events, as when I copied the events.ini from SH4 over to 5.... it worked.
( Now I gotta add my custom events again...lol. )

Take Heart in knowing in the end... it will be a simple fix....

:03:

Edit.... LOL..... was thinking that, but was slow to ask....
Be Well................

Poacher886
01-18-11, 03:54 PM
:oops: Yea, i loaded the game up, (i've been submerged 80m for some time), and played with the radio, tuned it to 44.00 and pressed play...bugger all , so i hit the x button on it and had a half hour at the game. Decided coast was clear and started to bring the boat up to surface, suddenly i heard someone babbling German, and went running around the boat to find where this unusal sound was coming from....then the penny dropped....my how i laughed.

Sorry guy's, but mildly amuzing eh!

Budds
01-18-11, 04:46 PM
Well you aint the first........
Ask me how I know !
:03:

I LOVE the Radio Feature..........
My SH4 Radio/Music folders eat up about 5 gigs.
In the course of Making my Custom sound sets, with events, I have made most mistakes three or four thimes now !

Glad you got it sorted.....
In case you've missed this, You might wanna peek at some of these Sound Add-Ons...... The man has good taste !

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119668

Lotta Free music on the net too.... gotta love the old commercials and speeches.
Prepare for TB Hard-Drive !
:D

Be Well..............

THE_MASK
01-18-11, 05:36 PM
Venatore has some great radio mods .
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=173371&highlight=venatores

ReallyDedPoet
01-18-11, 06:48 PM
Thanks, i think i've sussed it.

I have the 'Washington' / 'noise.ogg' / and radio file, though mine just says 'Radio' not 'Radio.ini' but looks the same, but when you opened your 'Washington' file, you get two files:

Events
Radio_track.Wav

I have only got 'Events' !!!!

The radio file is the ini file. What you have as far as events and nothing else is the stock set-up. If you want you can drag some .ogg files or .wav music files in there. Not the events folder but the one with the Radio_track.Wav file.

Poacher886
01-19-11, 11:52 AM
The radio file is the ini file. What you have as far as events and nothing else is the stock set-up. If you want you can drag some .ogg files or .wav music files in there. Not the events folder but the one with the Radio_track.Wav file.

Thanks mate...take a look at my post 7 posts up!!

ReallyDedPoet
01-19-11, 10:12 PM
Thanks mate...take a look at my post 7 posts up!!

:har: x 10

It happens, glad you got it sorted :up: