PDA

View Full Version : Question about locations.cfg

SkyBaron
11-30-10, 12:44 PM
I'm trying to add labels to some islands and I thought if I added an entry on locations.cfg it would show up on the map and of course I was wrong! :damn:The names show up on the mission editor but not in game. So how can I add labels that will show up on the navigation map? :hmmm:

Thanks!

danzig70
11-30-10, 03:27 PM
I looked at mods such as the additional harbors mod and the milk cow mod to determine which files needed to be edited. I was adding bases though for use by my sub.

If you create a custom mod folder in the mods directory you can place just the files you want to customize and use JSGM tool to enable the mod. That way you wont have to alter any original files. Its helpful for troubleshooting.

There is a field for "show on map". Is that marked to "True"? If it shows up in the editor, it should show in game when you zoom in to it.

If you are just adding cities without bases it should be straight forward. For "File Name", use the location .dat, .tga files that matches the city best. A pacific island could use, "small_pacific_city (.dat, .tga)". Its called something like that and these files are in the /terrain/locations folder.

SkyBaron
12-05-10, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the reply danzig70. I checked my file and they do have the "show on map" variable set to true but they still don't show up.

I wonder if I have to have some physical scenery object (city, lighthouse, base etc) for the names to appear on the navigation map? I actually didn't want to add any scenery, just the labels.

danzig70
12-06-10, 10:35 AM
thats probably it then. If they are cities just point to a standard "city"
location file and if they are ports you can point to an port location (like kiel, portsmouth,etc) where it says, Filename.

You also may have to zoom in to the area on the map for it to become visible, unlike the editor where it is always visible.