PDA

View Full Version : Surprise, Task Force at Kavieng, New Ireland

Bubblehead1980
09-23-10, 05:44 PM
TMO 2.0 RSRD June 30, 1942 USS S-28

After patrol in the Bismark Sea and one Zinbu Maru sank, I decided to close in and shell Kavieng at night(airbase also if its rendered)

While closing in to a position 4500 yards off the airbase and port, reports of ships spotted, could barely make them out as it was 0200, I marked their position on map and slowly closed.I then ordered all stop to wait until dawn and make a submerged attack.I closed in after daw at 100 feet then came to scope depth, much to my surprise...4 heavy cruisers and two light cruisers in two columns at anchor!

I closed to 1000 yards of a Furataka Heavy CA and fired four Mark 10's expecting a nice boom.Then suddenly, the CA began to move and accelerated fast, rather unrealistic:damn: the four fish just missed the CA.The other s soon started moving.I reloaded tubes fairly fast and made more attacks but these ships just seemed to have the force with them or something...lol they kept just barely evading torpedos.Enemy planes arrived and began bombing me, forcing me to go to 150 feet.When I came back up, the cruisers were far out of range, heading north at high speed. :damn:

Armistead
09-23-10, 09:07 PM
What do you mean by shelling the town and airbase? Didn't know that existed in game, unless added by 2.0?

rein1705
09-24-10, 07:39 AM
Ive never even heard you could shell buildings neato I dont think you can do it in FOTRS though...

Armistead
09-24-10, 11:53 AM
I think he's story telling... :yeah:

rein1705
09-24-10, 12:12 PM
:D I once shelled the lighthouse at Toyo just for fun.

Bubblehead1980
09-24-10, 01:23 PM
Well sometimes I shell the ports and ships in the ports at night, close about 4-5000 yards and fire, try to fine a point of reference.Can sink ships if you get enough hits, start fires in the facilities, done it a few times.Never shelled an airbase(are they rendered in the game or just a spot on the map?) so was going to but was sidetracked by the cruisers.Armistead, you are kind of the RSRD battle guy, is the battle of Savo Island in RSRD? whats best place to be in your opinion? Returned from patrol, depart on July 31, 1942, think at higher speed I should reach the area in time for the battle.Would be cool to take out a cruiser.

Have you tried the new patch for TMO 2.0? some pretty cool changes...batteries charge better, esp on s boats.Cool new noises for the AA guns, they no longer sound alike.Air activity changed, no zeros so far, mostly floatplanes, large and small.Have not reached that point in the war but ducimus put in a pseudo MAD for IJN plans after Oct 44, where they can get when youre deep.Some other changes I cant remember right now, worth checking out.

Bubblehead1980
09-24-10, 01:24 PM
:D I once shelled the lighthouse at Toyo just for fun.

nice, show any damage , can you knock out the light?

Armistead
09-24-10, 01:51 PM
Here is the battle of Savo in RSRD...You can't miss it. You should see the large allied TF and invasion fleet come in the day before.
The surface fleets do battle east of the middle island. Basically the JP's circle around the Island. I attacked them coming in, but you may want to be nearer to the allied ships, let them do some damage and take them out.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166855&page=2

Gonna start my new career, guess I'll try 2.0. Time to head back and attack the JP's as they return from Pearl.

rein1705
09-24-10, 05:15 PM
nice, show any damage , can you knock out the light?

Nah.. it keeps right on going. I also tried to shell the shore battery but it was almost the death of me. I didn't notice damage to it ether.

Bubblehead1980
09-24-10, 05:50 PM
Here is the battle of Savo in RSRD...You can't miss it. You should see the large allied TF and invasion fleet come in the day before.
The surface fleets do battle east of the middle island. Basically the JP's circle around the Island. I attacked them coming in, but you may want to be nearer to the allied ships, let them do some damage and take them out.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166855&page=2

Gonna start my new career, guess I'll try 2.0. Time to head back and attack the JP's as they return from Pearl.

Thanks, Ill give it a go sometime this weekend and see whats upI'm in a n S boat will try to attack if get a chance but will also observe the battle.

Yea, def give 2.0 a try, its worth it.Make sure you get the "beta patch" for it to add the new things.

Armistead
09-24-10, 06:13 PM
Shame we can't take out land base targets, would be fun. Certainly planes will attack shore guns, but can do no damage.

Bubblehead1980
09-24-10, 06:29 PM
Shame we can't take out land base targets, would be fun. Certainly planes will attack shore guns, but can do no damage.

Yea it would be cool to be assigned to shell certain targets and be able to order your deck gun crew to attack land targets.Do you know if the airbases are rendered in the game?

Armistead
09-26-10, 11:49 PM
Not sure what you mean by airbases rendered. The nav mod that shows the airbases as flags and updates them don't show. As for bases with strips like at Midway, I think they showed with TMO, but with RSRD they don't, but not sure if they're functional as they don't match what the nav mod shows.

I've never seen planes on any of the airstrips, just floatplanes in the water. Guess if you could get some planes to show on the strip you could destroy those.

Bubblehead1980
09-27-10, 03:49 AM
I mean does the control tower, runway, facilities show up st the enemy airbase , as in can you see them when in range? floatplane bases, there are floatplanes in the water I assume?

Armistead
09-27-10, 04:53 AM
Not with RSRD. Seems the airstrips were there in TMO alone, but not sure about towers, ect.. Fairly sure they're there for US, not sure for JP's. Can't recall ever seeing one, cept some float planes at port in the water.

WernherVonTrapp
09-27-10, 07:11 AM
On more than one occasion, I approached islands marked as a JAB (at night, of course) but never found anything remotely associated with an airbase. Not even a float plane or a patrol boat. However, I'm running RFB/RSRDC. :(