PDA

View Full Version : Wind direction, does' it matter?

Armistead
09-09-10, 08:12 PM
As long as I've played this game I've never worried about wind direction.
Doe's it have any bearing on anything in the game. I find it strange they include it.

I guess being in a S boat made me think. I'm sure TMO surface speed is effected by rough waters, ..thus wind, but direction...I was moving at flank speed, calm waters usually 13kts. Wind was 12mph, so rough water, cut my speed to 10kt's, sometimes 11. However I started making changes in direction. The wind speed same, but then at certain directions I was making 12kt's fairly steady, drop to 11 rarely. If I turned back in the other direction, it would drop down 1kt. It seemed as long as I headed between 20-30 degrees of direct wind directions I could hold another knot...Course I just tried this for a few minutes, so does it matter.
Battery full charged and off during all of this.

One thing I do know, if I'm in rough waters that effects my deck gun, shots flying high or low, maybe one hit out of five (me on the gun). If I keep playing with direction I can get a totally steady gun and have no problems and once locked on, no misses....anyone else.

Gerald
09-09-10, 08:20 PM
it would certainly important, but in the game how it affects,I can not give an answer to

WernherVonTrapp
09-10-10, 10:02 AM
I've had similar experiences while traveling, though it never occurred to me using the deck gun. However, I always attributed the extra speed as an influence of ocean currents. It never dawned on me that windage might be a factor. It's funny how these things can affect surface speeds yet, come to a stop and the boat just sits there, no drifting. I used to think that my boat actually drifted with the currents or tides but, after a lengthy discussion on the subject at the UBI forum, I realized that I was wrong and was only experiencing a belief induced phenomenon.

Vaux
09-10-10, 01:46 PM
Target shooting with a rifle has been a life-long hobby of mine and I can attest to the effect of wind on a shot from personal experience, even at relatively short ranges with light winds. I've never fired a submarine deck gun, but I have to imagine the wind would effect that too. Especially at longer ranges. It's the same basic concept as a rifle, just upscaled. Now, whether this is actually factored into the game is another question entirely and I don't see a way to test for a definitive answer to that question.

Edited to comment on your last paragraph: I would think that has more to do with the pitching of the deck/gun than the wind. If your gun barrel is pitching up and down due to rough seas, it would be very unlikely that you would ever pull the trigger at the exact same point of the pitch twice in a row. That Minute of Angle is very small at the muzzle, but gets bigger and bigger the farther out you go.

Armistead
09-10-10, 02:21 PM
Yes, the pitching is due to rough seas and your shots go everywhere.
In reality it shouldn't matter what direction you go, rough seas are rough in all directions. Still I find it strange the right direction you can get a basic steady gun.

No doubt real life and the game are two different things.

rein1705
09-10-10, 03:02 PM
i have noticed in my S-boat that in rough sea and sometimes in calm to medium seas my boat will travel following course with up to 5 degrees rudder to ether port or starboard. I always attributed that to the helmsmen adjusting to current but it could be wind....
Ever notice that?
I mean you wouldn't need 5 to port to travel a strait line any other way.:hmmm:

Vaux
09-10-10, 04:13 PM
Yes, the pitching is due to rough seas and your shots go everywhere.
In reality it shouldn't matter what direction you go, rough seas are rough in all directions. Still I find it strange the right direction you can get a basic steady gun.

No doubt real life and the game are two different things.

That is odd. Wish I could get that calming effect in my real boat by just changing my heading! That would be nice. :D

Vaux
09-10-10, 04:15 PM
i have noticed in my S-boat that in rough sea and sometimes in calm to medium seas my boat will travel following course with up to 5 degrees rudder to ether port or starboard. I always attributed that to the helmsmen adjusting to current but it could be wind....
Ever notice that?
I mean you wouldn't need 5 to port to travel a strait line any other way.:hmmm:

I've noticed that as well in my S boat. It's not there all the time so, obviously the helmsman is compensating for something. And you're right. I notice that more during heavy weather.

raymond6751
09-10-10, 04:35 PM
This question can best be answered by tests in the editor.

What? If wind affects fuel consumption.
Test: Sail a set distance, say 1/4 fuel against the wind. not miles covered.
Sail with the wind, again 1/4 tank, compare miles covered.

You could do the same with a cross wind.

What? Max gun range. Have target approach downwind and tell guns to engage at long range. Check range firing begins.

Do the same with target approaching upwind.

Just thoughts. I'm sure the effects aren't worth much.

Armistead
09-10-10, 06:34 PM
I think Ducimas answered that. I know rough seas effect speed in TMO and it obvious shows, so no doubt it would effect fuel milage.

As far as currents and wind direction effecting other things, I doubt it, but I do find it strange by changing direction that you can hold another kt.

reignofdeath
09-10-10, 10:21 PM
I would also think that a heavy wind current that is constant in one direction would also blow you off course.. Ie you intend to go west, but because the wind is moving north you get blown kind of north west? any way to test that out guys?
:hmmm:

Armistead
09-11-10, 02:20 AM
Doesn't happen

reignofdeath
09-11-10, 02:52 AM
even in real life? I mean I know u boats are quite big but still.

Diopos
09-11-10, 03:13 AM
even in real life? I mean I know u boats are quite big but still.

What does real life have to do with SH4? Here is my favorite: Earth in SH4 is flat. Compass bearins are Ok, distances aren't ,we cruise more or less in straight lines in the world's biggest ocean ... yeah right!

Nisgeis
09-11-10, 04:02 AM
What does real life have to do with SH4? Here is my favorite: Earth in SH4 is flat. Compass bearins are Ok, distances aren't ,we cruise more or less in straight lines in the world's biggest ocean ... yeah right!

The chart is flat, but the modelled 3D world you see is round, but the water is flat. Result is that ships 'sink' into the water at long range to model the horizon obscuring them, even though you can see the water horizon behind them.

Diopos
09-11-10, 05:35 AM
The chart is flat, but the modelled 3D world you see is round, but the water is flat. Result is that ships 'sink' into the water at long range to model the horizon obscuring them, even though you can see the water horizon behind them.

As far as navigation is concerned the world is flat. The distance between meridiens is same in the equator as in any other latitude . The North/South Poles are not points but lines (the meridiens don't
"converge"). They use a Mercator type of projection not as a "map" of the world but as the world itself.

What exaclty do you mean by " ...but the modelled 3D world you see is round..."?

rein1705
09-11-10, 07:48 AM
I did a little test myself lastnight. Heres what i did. Left port in S-39,
(at Java) sailed out the channel and plotted a course dew south for five knotical miles and let her go ahead standard. We pushed 9knots as i waited. The sea was very calm and a 5knot wind from 260. My rudder was at 4 degrees port. (I am using FOTRS btw)
that was to make strait south... now I turned round and went back and had 5* to starboard.
turned to 180 again manually and dive to PD and ran at 5 knots i noticed myself drift to a heading of 178 in 5 knotical miles.
Tell me theres no current.:stare:

Diopos
09-11-10, 10:31 AM
I did a little test myself lastnight. Heres what i did. Left port in S-39,
(at Java) sailed out the channel and plotted a course dew south for five knotical miles and let her go ahead standard. We pushed 9knots as i waited. The sea was very calm and a 5knot wind from 260. My rudder was at 4 degrees port. (I am using FOTRS btw)
that was to make strait south... now I turned round and went back and had 5* to starboard.
turned to 180 again manually and dive to PD and ran at 5 knots i noticed myself drift to a heading of 178 in 5 knotical miles.
Tell me theres no current.:stare:

Can you repeat the exact same experiment in different locations and compare "drifts"?

Nisgeis
09-11-10, 12:57 PM
What exaclty do you mean by " ...but the modelled 3D world you see is round..."?

The ships are placed as if they were on a sphere, but the sea is rendered as a flat plane. The result is that some ships appear to be sinking and pop up from the sea the closer you get.

reignofdeath
09-11-10, 01:01 PM
I was just curious about even in real life since SH series is meant to be a simulation, I would think with a heavy enough cross wind you would actually drift off course unless (using trig, I remember doing these calculations) you headed into it at the right angle and speed

Diopos
09-11-10, 01:10 PM
The ships are placed as if they were on a sphere, but the sea is rendered as a flat plane. The result is that some ships appear to be sinking and pop up from the sea the closer you get.

Ok, but that's a trick or a shortcut, if you prefer, to simulate an horizon + earth's curvature effect. It is not a "real" 3D model. The ship is still on the "flatland" just a bit "sunk" :DL.

rein1705
09-11-10, 04:16 PM
Can you repeat the exact same experiment in different locations and compare "drifts"?

I'll do that tonight.:up:

rein1705
09-12-10, 07:51 AM
I dont appear to have a harbor anymore...

Steamed up to the Sulu Sea by choice and sank a german raider there. While hunting i made several course changes both surfaced and submerged and noticed that on different headings there were different results with the rudder positions. It seemed it i headed south east rudder wouldn't change from 0 but south would make for 5* to port and north 5* starboard until a storm blew in then the rudder was all over the place trying to maintain heading while surfaced. If i set rudder amidships it LOOKED like i was straying from my heading but i didnt observe much of a drift other than a few degrees, this being without TC.
It acted more like it had to do with the pitch and role of my sub than wind but underwater it'd have to of been some sort of current though i went as deep as 175 feet and noticed no change in strength. My rudder submerged would return to 0 as i changed back south east or to north west.