PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Scenario!

Gerald
06-23-10, 12:06 PM
The main reason to this poll is how you act in some activity, or situation, so lets begin.
You sailing from Brest and your mission grid is DR31,the weather condition is good (light cloudy) the time is 19.00 after dusk in Jan. 1943,your are now in BF58,when your WO spotted 4 vessel in short-range,2 merchant and 2 DD.and you react for some action,but just when you proceeding,2 low flying planes come out from the clouds,so what would you do
to manage for the right solution?

1.Crash-dive (escape)

2.Engage the plane with flak guns and then go to PD

3.Engage plane and vessels (flak and deck gun)

4.Go direct to PD for attack

5. I don`t care there are plenty of ships along the journey,so I dive so deep as I can and run away

frau kaleun
06-23-10, 12:10 PM
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/Icewinddale/monty-python-run-away.jpg

timmy41
06-23-10, 12:32 PM
this

Gerald
06-23-10, 12:39 PM
this
Healty-resort!

McHibbins
06-23-10, 12:41 PM

Be more aggressive ! :DL

Gerald
06-23-10, 12:44 PM
Be more aggressive ! :DL

:up:

Fido
06-23-10, 01:20 PM
Run Silent, Run Deep, the operative word: RUN, live to fight another day.
Fido U-52:salute:

frau kaleun
06-23-10, 01:33 PM
1,5: Best chances for living to fight another day.

2: If the DDs haven't already spotted you, they certainly will once you open fire on the planes. If they're at short range they'll be on you like white on rice long before you can do significant damage to either plane, who will also probably be attacking you with whatever weapons they have. Even if you somehow make it to periscope depth relatively unscathed, your chances of taking out both destroyers with eels before being destroyed or having to dive deep to repair damage and dodge continuing attacks from above are basically nil.

3: You cannot outgun two destroyers in a surface artillery battle, even without enemy planes attacking from above. Chances of winning this one on the surface are also basically nil.

4: IF* you have not yet been spotted by either the enemy planes or ships, AND you are already in position to get off a quick torpedo attack on one of the destroyers without cruising around with your 'scope up, it might be possible to take one shot from p-depth and then get away clean provided you run silent and dive deep and fast enough as soon as you fire. Still not a great option IMO as it's almost guaranteed that you will come under attack if you actually hit something; it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to take out both destroyers before that happens, and against the planes you can do nothing.

*This is a really big "if." If you've spotted them, it's a good bet that they've spotted you.

RConch
06-23-10, 02:02 PM
1,5: Best chances for living to fight another day.

2: If the DDs haven't already spotted you, they certainly will once you open fire on the planes. If they're at short range they'll be on you like white on rice long before you can do significant damage to either plane, who will also probably be attacking you with whatever weapons they have. Even if you somehow make it to periscope depth relatively unscathed, your chances of taking out both destroyers with eels before being destroyed or having to dive deep to repair damage and dodge continuing attacks from above are basically nil.

3: You cannot outgun two destroyers in a surface artillery battle, even without enemy planes attacking from above. Chances of winning this one on the surface are also basically nil.

4: IF* you have not yet been spotted by either the enemy planes or ships, AND you are already in position to get off a quick torpedo attack on one of the destroyers without cruising around with your 'scope up, it might be possible to take one shot from p-depth and then get away clean provided you run silent and dive deep and fast enough as soon as you fire. Still not a great option IMO as it's almost guaranteed that you will come under attack if you actually hit something; it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to take out both destroyers before that happens, and against the planes you can do nothing.

*This is a really big "if." If you've spotted them, it's a good bet that they've spotted you.

Without a doubt.
RUN!

dfscott
06-23-10, 02:45 PM
There are old Kaleuns, and there are bold Kaleuns, but there are no old, bold Kaleuns.

Alarm! Alarm!

:gulp:

Gerald
06-23-10, 04:35 PM
Without a doubt.
RUN!

Option and temptation,I should dive and try to send some eels to the vessels,even if I see the planes ,I`ts not necessary the have see the u-boat,so to just run and go away,does not fit me at all,but the chance or risk is high even without this potential situation,so after the dive I switch strategy...but no chance for withdrawl....:nope:

DaveP63
06-23-10, 05:00 PM
He who lives to run away, lives to fight another day.:salute:

Sailor Steve
06-23-10, 05:59 PM
Yer all a bunch of big chickens!

Of course I had to run because you deserted me and left me on my own.
:rotfl2:

Seriously, the only time I don't crash dive is if I know the water is too shallow for a 70-meter run, in which case I hit Flank Speed and Periscope Depth.

Frau K's if's are good advice. There will always be other targets. The point is to make sure there's always a you to engage them. :sunny:

Gerald
06-23-10, 06:35 PM
Yer all a bunch of big chickens!

Of course I had to run because you deserted me and left me on my own.

Seriously, the only time I don't crash dive is if I know the water is too shallow for a 70-meter run, in which case I hit Flank Speed and Periscope Depth.

Frau K's if's are good advice. There will always be other targets. The point is to make sure there's always a you to engage them. :sunny: Say against you ,but in meantime ,you have a great opportunity and the response give you high reputation (From BDU) :yep:

Brag
06-23-10, 08:08 PM
Kiss yjr hoochie-woochie good bye :D

Gerald
06-23-10, 08:33 PM
Kiss yjr hoochie-woochie good bye :D

And frenzy dance.....:lurk:

frau kaleun
06-23-10, 09:58 PM
Say against you ,but in meantime ,you have a great opportunity and the response give you high reputation (From BDU) :yep:

At some point during the war BdU did issue orders directing u-boats to stay on the surface and fight it out with enemy aircraft.

IIRC they rescinded the order after it became clear that this only resulted in a greater number of boats and crews being lost while doing virtually nothing to discourage or limit the effectiveness of Allied air attacks.

Staying on or near the surface and trying to attack anything when you have two Allied DDs and two Allied aircraft within range to attack you borders on the suicidal. Especially later in the war when Allied ASW tactics and weapons far outstrip a u-boat's ability to evade them.

As soon as you launch any kind of attack, they will know you're there - if they don't already - and even if you destroy one enemy craft in the process, you will still have three more to deal with (and maybe more if the merchants are armed).

Medals and renown don't mean much if you're not alive to enjoy them!:03:

timmy41
06-23-10, 10:28 PM
i think we should hold a moment of silence for the 4 captains who chose to attack

Sailor Steve
06-23-10, 10:52 PM

Very good! :salute:

Gerald
06-24-10, 01:13 AM
i think we should hold a moment of silence for the 4 captains who chose to attack

And want to clean up the water in "the death of valley"

The post above about ASW, and the progress in the war can be various in many way.So least 4 Captain see more than suicide.

Renown and reputation is substitute.

:lurk:

timmy41
06-24-10, 02:16 AM
And want to clean up the water in "the death of valley"

The post above about ASW, and the progress in the war can be various in many way.So least 4 Captain see more than suicide.

Renown and reputation is substitute.

:lurk:

i dont care what year it is. if your even in hydrophone range of some destroyers, and you engage some planes, the destroyers will be tearing you up with bofors before you shoot the planes down. some of the destroyers seem to haul 27+ knots, so itll only take them 2 minutes to get into visual range, and right then and there youll have accurate 5 inch gun fire from about 6 to 10 guns. just one of those and youre down.

and if you do dive and engage the ships instead of the planes, theyll still be in the area when you hit the ships, and they will strafe and bomb you. and where there are 2 planes, there are always more.

so in the words of our lady captain

Medals and renown don't mean much if you're not alive to enjoy them!:03:

GoDeep
06-24-10, 04:31 AM
I think it would be near suicidal to attack in this situation. There's too much risk to boat and crew to attempt an attack. I have never engaged aircraft, but tend to hide from them. I am there to win the tonnage war, not engage the British air force. Goering's boys can take that job. ;)

Gerald
06-24-10, 06:38 AM
i dont care what year it is. if your even in hydrophone range of some destroyers, and you engage some planes, the destroyers will be tearing you up with bofors before you shoot the planes down. some of the destroyers seem to haul 27+ knots, so itll only take them 2 minutes to get into visual range, and right then and there youll have accurate 5 inch gun fire from about 6 to 10 guns. just one of those and youre down.

and if you do dive and engage the ships instead of the planes, theyll still be in the area when you hit the ships, and they will strafe and bomb you. and where there are 2 planes, there are always more.

so in the words of our lady captain :salute:

Pisces
06-24-10, 06:56 AM
I don't see much difference between 1 and 5. Other than that the crashdive implies haste. I wouldn't choose to make extra noise or more bowspray in this circumstance, so I opted for option 5 (using the action description in the original post). With planes in the air you are not safe at periscope depth either. But as soon as I notice that the enemy responds to my presence I'll go for crashdive. Eitherway, I only attack when I can dictate the situation, not when I have my pants down.

Kapt Z
06-24-10, 07:26 AM
ALARM!!!!!!!!

sharkbit
06-24-10, 08:03 AM
Evil, evil airplanes....Crash dive.
After a couple of minutes, creep back up to PD and reassess unless my hydrophone operator reports the DD's are coming in for an attack, then stay down and try to evade.

In those few minutes, I would have my WO and his watch crew shot for falling asleep and spotting the merchants at short range :nope:.

:)

Gerald
06-24-10, 11:05 AM
I think it would be near suicidal to attack in this situation. There's too much risk to boat and crew to attempt an attack. I have never engaged aircraft, but tend to hide from them. I am there to win the tonnage war, not engage the British air force. Goering's boys can take that job. ;) Unfortunately air-aid was under this circumference probability rare, in 1943

Refer to:Goering's boys can take that job..

;lurk:

GoDeep
06-24-10, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately air-aid was under this circumference probability rare, in 1943

Refer to:Goering's boys can take that job..

;lurk:

Unfortunately for the u-boat crews, this was very true, especially after the Battle of Britain. What I meant with that statement was that u-boats should not engage aircraft. They just weren't up to the job.

gordonmull
06-24-10, 04:02 PM
If it was planes alone, crashdive!

The destroyers make it a bit more interesting though. Flank and dive until I'm under about 10m, hit silent running, go deep and pray the planes didn't see me.

Never mind the guys that went in for the attack, it's the poor soul who decided to man the deck and flak guns we should be saying a prayer for!!:eek:

Patkins1983
06-24-10, 04:24 PM
If there is only planes then I stay up and fight it out, good fun shooting down planes:)

Come to think of it, I have shelled a crippled Rodney to the point where it eventual gave up. The fact is main guns where still working made it fun but 99/100 times it will be suicide :)

Gerald
06-24-10, 05:11 PM
If it was planes alone, crashdive!

The destroyers make it a bit more interesting though. Flank and dive until I'm under about 10m, hit silent running, go deep and pray the planes didn't see me.

Never mind the guys that went in for the attack, it's the poor soul who decided to man the deck and flak guns we should be saying a prayer for!!:eek:

in most cases a naturally way to carry out this kind of act,so btw I`ts unlikely partially at he manage to go out as a winner,however he did a option. :lurk:

Gerald
06-24-10, 11:44 PM

I now your rational way,but pretend at captain,are professional and his work are promise,so this is a fast and "risky" determination so he take a well-meant chance.he now already the limitation to engagement,is this logical?

:hmm2:

Snestorm
06-25-10, 01:42 AM
I would have gone with #5, until aircraft was mentioned.
That changed it to #1.

I don't like crash diving for warships because of the restrictions imposed on the dive but, aircraft equals crash dive.

This scenario looks like a probable carreer ender.

timmy41
06-25-10, 02:45 AM
I now your rational way,but pretend at captain,are professional and his work are promise,so this is a fast and "risky" determination so he take a well-meant chance.he now already the limitation to engagement,is this logical?

:hmm2:
....what?

Gerald
06-25-10, 05:25 AM
I would have gone with #5, until aircraft was mentioned.
That changed it to #1.

I don't like crash diving for warships because of the restrictions imposed on the dive but, aircraft equals crash dive.

This scenario looks like a probable carreer ender. In this event press (C),so after that go back, to look if you have chance to take out some of the vessels....later :lurk:

note: If you avoid the aircraft first