PDA

View Full Version : What to change so that ships land on the bottom

shamuboy1
06-14-10, 08:12 PM
What things should you change in the SH5 files so that the Sunken ships actually land on the bottom of the ocean. It would really be helpful if someone could tell me! Thanks! :)

kylania
06-14-10, 08:26 PM
They do, for a few moments at least. Then they disappear because keeping destroyed assets around in a computer game is never a good idea.

The General
06-15-10, 06:11 AM
:timeout:

Yeah, but in SH3 wrecks sat on the bottom and it worked ok. Besides, in real life, when you were in shallow water, crashing into a wreck was a very real possibility for a Submarine and I would argue that it adds tremendously to the atmosphere to hear the sunken vessel breaking-up on Sonar or even through the hull, if you were close enough. Although based on the same platform, SH5 seems to have taken a step backwards from SH3 & 4 in some ways.

JU_88
06-15-10, 09:25 AM
What things should you change in the SH5 files so that the Sunken ships actually land on the bottom of the ocean. It would really be helpful if someone could tell me! Thanks! :)

:timeout:

Yeah, but in SH3 wrecks sat on the bottom and it worked ok. Besides, in real life, when you were in shallow water, crashing into a wreck was a very real possibility for a Submarine and I would argue that it adds tremendously to the atmosphere to hear the sunken vessel breaking-up on Sonar or even through the hull, if you were close enough. Although based on the same platform, SH5 seems to have taken a step backwards from SH3 & 4 in some ways.

Yeah but you guys are not taking everything in to account.
In Sh3 the ocean floor was flat so the colision model was a no brainer, in SHV the terrain is uneven / mountainous so its not really possible to perfect it, when you consider that you have the entire world to model.

Would either of you like to build colision boxes for every single inch of uneven sea bed covering the entire world? :06:
Even if you did, i doubt it is technically possible.
You gotta be realistic.

Ducimus
06-15-10, 03:10 PM
Other day i noticed a GR2 file that seems to contain the objects that are being tiled onto the ocean floor. I wonder if offsetting the vertical axis of those objects (Z i think) so that they sit higher or lower to the collision surface on the ocean floor would work?

wamphyri
06-15-10, 03:17 PM
The issue is that each ship will disappear after a predetermined about of time. regardless if it's hit the bottom or not. So even if we manage to get the wrecks to stay on the bottom they will just disappear. and I believe that is hard coded.

Ducimus
06-15-10, 04:04 PM
Garbage collection. Tis a good thing.