PDA

View Full Version : Radar mast

Admiral8Q
05-06-10, 01:37 PM
I was wondering, with the radar mast extended on the surface, is the game programed to add range like it would in r/l?:hmmm:

ETR3(SS)
05-06-10, 03:12 PM
No it doesn't. And if I remember correctly it's not the height of the radar that determines range but the frequency and power.

razark
05-06-10, 05:10 PM
No it doesn't. And if I remember correctly it's not the height of the radar that determines range but the frequency and power.

Depends. If the range is determined by the horizon, and the horizon is further away the higher the viewpoint is, then a higher radar could see farther. If the range is less than the horizon, then a higher radar wouldn't extend the range anyway.

For example: go to a tall building. From the ground look at how far you can see. Now, go to the top floor, and how far is it to the visible horizon now? Repeat the same exercise at night, and no matter how high you go, you still won't move the horizon closer.

ETR3(SS)
05-06-10, 05:32 PM
I understand what you're talking about. Line of Sight. Most radars though are not LOS. The reason a radar can detect targets over the horizon is due to the propagation of the radio waves emitted by the radar. For the game though there's no LOS type radars.

Admiral8Q
05-06-10, 05:44 PM
Cool! :cool:
That all makes a lot of sense. I've always been fascinated by radar since I was a kid. Thanks for the info! :up:

LukeFF
05-07-10, 02:49 AM
If you take a close look at WWII-era pictures, you'll notice fleet subs almost always sailed with the SD radar mast extended to its tallest height, presumably to increase its max range.

Also, there is this:

FACTORS AFFECTING RADAR RANGE

Maximum range factors. In order to give you some reason for the variation in range performance of radar sets, we shall list the factors affecting the maximum range of any radar:

1. Wave length.
a. Long wave length radar is best suited for air search.
b. Micro wave length radar is best suited for surface search.
2. Size of target.
3. Height of target.
a. Height of mast for surface target.
b. Height of plane for air target.
4. Target presentation (target angle).
5. Material of target.
6. Height of antenna.
7. Output power radar.
8. Sensitivity of receiver.
9. Atmospheric condition.
10. Type of indicator ("A" scope most sensitive).
11. Pulse repetition rate (determines maximum range scale that can be used).
12. Beam concentration.
13. Condition of radar equipment.
14. Operator's technique and skill.http://www.hnsa.org/doc/radar/part1.htm#pg47

Note item number 6 in that list. The section on SJ radar (later on in that same manual) notes that the height of the antenna above the water played a role in the maximum reliable range.

ETR3(SS)
05-07-10, 12:11 PM
I stand corrected then. :salute:

Admiral8Q
05-07-10, 03:54 PM
If you take a close look at WWII-era pictures, you'll notice fleet subs almost always sailed with the SD radar mast extended to its tallest height, presumably to increase its max range.

Also, there is this:

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/radar/part1.htm#pg47

Note item number 6 in that list. The section on SJ radar (later on in that same manual) notes that the height of the antenna above the water played a role in the maximum reliable range.

Wow! :o Thanks for the link to that radar manual. There is very interesting stuff in there!:yeah:

EDIT: This is an example:
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h97000/h97306.jpg