PDA

View Full Version : Where is the compassion?

SteamWake
04-24-10, 11:02 AM
This story actually brings a tear to my eyes...

A heroic homeless man, stabbed after saving a Queens woman from a knife-wielding attacker, lay dying in a pool of blood for more than an hour as nearly 25 people indifferently strolled past him, a shocking surveillance video obtained by the New York Post reveals.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/24/homeless-hero-ignored-dying-nyc-street/

Chad
04-24-10, 11:19 AM
What the hell? I think each person who shook, looked at, and even TOOK a picture of him should be thrown in jail for assisted murder. Obviously they didn't do anything to help him, so they're assisting.

No one deserves that after helping someone. What I want to know is where did the woman go after the attack? :stare:

Torvald Von Mansee
04-24-10, 11:25 AM

Well, that just reinforces my general contempt for the masses.

Platapus
04-24-10, 02:26 PM
This has happened many times in the past. One of the problems with crowds is that everyone thinks that someone else is/will help.

Very sad story. :nope:

That and the fear of aids makes a bleeding victim a very risky save. :nope:

Sailor Steve
04-24-10, 02:33 PM
I'm old enough to remember the case of Kitty Genovese.
http://www2.selu.edu/Academics/Faculty/scraig/gansberg.html

Today it's called the 'Genovese Syndrome' - "I didn't want to get involved".

It's tragic that the one man in this case who was willing to get involved had to die because of the others who weren't.

SteamWake
04-24-10, 02:39 PM
This has happened many times in the past. One of the problems with crowds is that everyone thinks that someone else is/will help.

Very sad story. :nope:

That and the fear of aids makes a bleeding victim a very risky save. :nope:

They evidently have a fear of using a cell phone for calling for help as well.

Platapus
04-24-10, 02:57 PM
When I was teaching First Responders, we used to tell them, not to call out "will someone call 911" for no one would.

We used to teach them to pick someone out of the crowd and ask them " Will YOU call 911" you get much better response.

The American Red Cross, among others, have conducted studies on "crowd mentality" vs personal "mentality" People act differently in a crowd.

Sailor Steve
04-24-10, 04:14 PM
We used to teach them to pick someone out of the crowd and ask them " Will YOU call 911" you get much better response.
If I had my hands full trying to help the guy or was going to chase down the perp, I wouldn't ask; I'd point at someone and say "YOU! CALL 911 NOW!"

OneToughHerring
04-24-10, 11:50 PM
There is no profit-making aspect in compassion making it very anti-American.

Castout
04-25-10, 02:43 AM
If he didn't deserve heaven I don't know if anybody else does . . .

Rest in peace you brave soul, dear brother! You'll be in my thoughts and prayer tonight!

You deserved better and you'll be in a much better place soon enough.

antikristuseke
04-25-10, 05:31 AM
What the hell? I think each person who shook, looked at, and even TOOK a picture of him should be thrown in jail for assisted murder. Obviously they didn't do anything to help him, so they're assisting.

No one deserves that after helping someone. What I want to know is where did the woman go after the attack? :stare:

Not taking action to help is not the same as assisting him to die, now is it?

Jimbuna
04-25-10, 06:08 AM
They evidently have a fear of using a cell phone for calling for help as well.

Precisely my thoughts :yep:

As already posted...far better if someone attending points out an individual ghoul or zombie (our talk for those who stand idly by simply gazing) and in an assertive tone gives a clear instruction to them telling them what you require them to do.

Skybird
04-25-10, 08:12 AM
As Sailor Steve already pointed out, Kitty Genovese is a case which today is mentioned in social spoychology classes in first semesters at university, and gets a chapter in every general teaching book on social psychology. Unfortunately, it is not the only such case. And if you read the papers carefully, you will not pass a single week without several such stories being mentioned.

Such behaviour of bystanders is disgusting, but nothing new on the world of social research. I personally have learned one lesson in my life: the more people are around, the less are the chances that I could get help from them if I need some. I also do not wait for, or expect, such help anymore.

Linked to this socialpsychologic phenomenen is that of "Gaffer": disaster tourists who even interfere with rescuing services and block the traffic in order to watch what is going on and take pictures. I would put such behavior under severe penalty, it is causing much problems all the time, and puts people's lives at risk. Elendes sensationsgeiles Pack. They better should sit at home and watch Big Brother.

Sailor Steve again is right where he sais that if you want to engage in mpotivating others to help, you have to individually confront single persons, and doing so in a commanding, I would even recommend: intimidating, manner. As long as people hide in a crowd, they will carry on to do just that: hide in the crowd. OPick them out individually, expose them as individuals to their very own attention, so that they realise they are not part of a crowd, but are individual people who are personally and individually connected to what is going on. that is your only chance to get them doing something useful. You will noite that the police gives you comparable advice in case of you coming into a situation of some thugs mobbing or attacking a victim on the street, or in a train: do not attack the attackers all by yourself, hoping you set an example by that that will motivate others to follow you - chnaces are that you will find yourself being left alone. Instead directly and demandingly approach individual people and command them to get personally engaged, by calling the police or pulling the meegency brake or giving first aid or whatever.

NEVER trust in groups and crowds, NEVER. Not only intelligence and reasonability is inverse proportional to group size (the greater the group, the less sign of intelligent life there is), but the motivation to engage in own action is inverse-proportional to group size as well.

Exceptions just confirm the general rule.

OneToughHerring
04-25-10, 12:27 PM
There is no profit-making aspect in compassion making it very anti-American.

Oh seriously...An infraction for this?! I thought I'd get it for the church burning - comment but no, this!?

What's the problem with thinking things from a profit angle? If compassion was more profitable then wouldn't that make compassion an even better thing then it is today? Pfft...

Dowly
04-25-10, 12:36 PM
Relax, like the infractions even work. (seriously, what's the point of them? :doh:)

OneToughHerring
04-25-10, 02:45 PM
Relax, like the infractions even work. (seriously, what's the point of them? :doh:)

It's just that Americans don't want others to think things from a profit making angle. They want to stay as the leading peddlers of sub-standard products on this planet.

Task Force
04-25-10, 05:19 PM
sub standard products? Thats China...

Nicolas
04-25-10, 07:17 PM
And people think they are going somewhere this way?

Chad
04-25-10, 07:20 PM
I believe there are two types of murders:

Active murder: Killing someone intentionally, such as shooting, stabbing, torturing to death etc. This is the case where you actively kill someone.

Passive murder: Passing up opportunities to cease or detest the death of someone. Basically not helping him survive, thus killing him.

I'm actually writing a paper on this for my final in my Philosophy 230 class at my University. One of the main articles I'm using on the subject is Rule-Utilitarianism and Euthanasia by Brad Hooker.

Platapus
04-25-10, 07:46 PM
As long as you make it clear in your paper that you are not focusing on murder as a crime, it sounds like a good topic.

Good luck with that.