PDA

View Full Version : TMA - Range Rate and Target Zig

cristianfalchi
04-21-10, 11:23 AM
Hello everyone, I have a question on the Range Rate TMA I hope some expert can answer:

I can not see that link there is between the range rate and the representation of the difference of Bearings in a Target zig.Nel manual written by TMA TopTorp explains how to calculate the rate range but do not understand how to use it to understand a Target Zig.
How to determine which side has turned the Target Range by calculating the rate itself varies even if the target does not zig?

Thanks,
cristian

Pisces
04-21-10, 11:56 AM
I don't see how you can determine or calculate range rate between you and the target if you do not yet know his speed and course (you mean the part on page 5 and 6, right?). You would first need to have a reasonably accurate track on him to be able to calculate how quickly you close. Besides, the game cannot show or measure the closure rate (like via doppler frequency change.) Though I understand the FFG has limmited capability on those small passive waterfal screens.

cristianfalchi
04-21-10, 12:49 PM
Consider this case:
I have a solution on the target accurately and in a LOS LAG, ownship Route 90 and Route 270 ° Target. At time t1 the Target zig. Calculating the Range Rate for all Bearing in order to have a history of the Range Rate, Target is the zig to the right or left, the range rate increases, how can I guess which side has zig?
If I had the accurate calculation of the Bearing Rate this problem did not exist, unfortunately Bearign Rate calculated from DW refers to the solution we estimated. : (
In TopTorp manual shows that the range rate can know which side has the zig Target, but how to get a Range error rate that is linked with the zig Target ?????

Pisces
04-21-10, 03:53 PM
Like I said, you can't. Atleast not in the subs. You yourself need to make a turn (I hope that is what you mean with 'zig') or change speed to make the bearing rate change significantly. You are blind for range rate by bearings alone. Well apart from increasing/decreasing signal strength, but that takes too long and isn't precise enough.

cristianfalchi
04-21-10, 05:19 PM
The concepts of page 8 and 9 of the manual TMA TopTorp on the Range Rate are not applicable in DW ?????
Why in the manual describes how to use the Range Rate with Dotstack, if we can not apply it in DW?

Whit Zig mean = Target course change

Pisces
04-22-10, 11:16 AM
Exactly, not in DW or in Subcommand.

Range rate data is not provided in Sub Command. However, it greatly assists in making
inferences about target maneuvers, especially when combined with bearing difference data.You can only see if the real bearings are left of right of the marks on the track, in other words the bearing error.

The only solution to get a fix on his track is hope he doesn't zig, but you make one or more zigs when he does not.

[EDIT]Or get him on DEMON and find his speed. Then set the speed in the TMA panel and minimise the bearing error by playing around with range and course.

cristianfalchi
04-22-10, 12:43 PM
With that criterion changed the route of wire guided torpedoes during an attack when the target changes course and / or speed , If we can not use the WAA and the triangulation with two sensors?