PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

SkyBaron
04-13-10, 03:40 PM
Hi, I'm new to DW and subsims in general and I have a few questions.

This is more related to RL subs, how do modern subs get the depth under keel reading? Do they use something like an Echolot or maybe an ocean depth database? I'm guessing that the sound pulse of an Echolot would give away their position.

On DW, is there a way to reduce the underwater water visibility around the sub or is it a hardcoded value?

TLAM Strike
04-13-10, 03:48 PM
Modern subs do have fathometers, in fact some Nuc boats have one pointing upwards to check for ice. Fathometers are highly directional and low powered, so unless another sub is below the sub it won't hear the ping. Subs also have huge assortments of charts to navigate by for when they can't take soundings.

I think that the sonar operators can tell decern the features of the ocean floor based on the ambient nose and how it echos off the terrain.

SkyBaron
04-14-10, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the answer TLAM, that makes sense.

Kapitan
04-28-10, 02:32 PM
In responce to the see through water thing check the options under game graphics or settings some where along them lines, im pretty sure its in there some where.

MrHonk
06-13-10, 04:56 AM
I'd like some more questions concerning DW:

I've never seen a splash occuring from subsurface detonations in DW. Aren't they implemented in the sim?

As far as I understand target illumination radars they point at the target all the time when engaged and continuously illuminted the target (CWI). So it is not a pulse they send, right? Thus the illuminated vessel's EW should be able to detect the source quite easily.
I've never encountered a continuous signal in DW. Is the sim regarding this point not designed correctly or are target illumination radars pulsed too?

P.S.: I installed LWAMI 3.10 recently and for the first time at all. I haven't gone through all the readmes yet. So sorry if I ask questions that are already answered in the readme-files.

Molon Labe
06-13-10, 08:01 AM
I'd like some more questions concerning DW:

I've never seen a splash occuring from subsurface detonations in DW. Aren't they implemented in the sim?
There is, if the detonation is shallow enough.

As far as I understand target illumination radars they point at the target all the time when engaged and continuously illuminted the target (CWI). So it is not a pulse they send, right? Thus the illuminated vessel's EW should be able to detect the source quite easily.
I've never encountered a continuous signal in DW. Is the sim regarding this point not designed correctly or are target illumination radars pulsed too?

Fire control radars in DW are like any other radar. They are typically set to sweep at 2-second intervals, while other radars have 12-second intervals in stock DW or 4-12 second intervals in LWAMI 3.10. FCRs still get picked up by ESM very easily despite the simplified representation.

MrHonk
06-13-10, 02:14 PM
I was thinking that deep water explosions can be seen on the surface too.

Ok, then I know whereon I have to pay attention when checking the EW station next time.

Btw.: Has CIWS an effect on EW? Everywhere - regarding stock DW - I just could read that it is assumed it has.

Molon Labe
06-13-10, 05:35 PM
I was thinking that deep water explosions can be seen on the surface too.

Ok, then I know whereon I have to pay attention when checking the EW station next time.

Btw.: Has CIWS an effect on EW? Everywhere - regarding stock DW - I just could read that it is assumed it has.

I don't think it does. It's possible that the playable CIWS is detectable up to 5km (stock DW) and maybe a bit farther in LWAMI, but that's just speculation on my part, I haven't tested it.

Castout
06-13-10, 07:39 PM
In responce to the see through water thing check the options under game graphics or settings some where along them lines, im pretty sure its in there some where.

No there isn't as far as I'm aware of

Molon Labe
06-13-10, 11:03 PM
It's in the ini, but like many things it's a holdever from Fleet Command that doesn't do anything in DW.