PDA

View Full Version : Sub Command on Win 7

ddiplock
04-02-10, 06:09 PM
Can anyone here tell me kindly if Sub Command works with Windows 7?

clive bradbury
04-02-10, 07:04 PM
I've recently upgraded to Win7 64-bit. I can't get SC to work, but DW runs fine. No widescreen support, so I run it in a window.

ddiplock
04-02-10, 07:23 PM
I've recently upgraded to Win7 64-bit. I can't get SC to work, but DW runs fine. No widescreen support, so I run it in a window.

Ah bugger. That's my hopes of getting back into Sub Command scuppered then if it doesn't run on Win7 :(

Julhelm
04-03-10, 07:21 AM
Sub Command runs fine for me on 64bit win7 ultimate.

ddiplock
04-03-10, 08:49 AM
Sub Command runs fine for me on 64bit win7 ultimate.

Well, I might be tempted to give it a go then. I had a copy but my brother lost it a few years back so I reckon i'll have to get it on Steam as part of the "classic naval pack" I can't just buy SC on its own....no that would be too much like common sense on Steam's part!!!

Pisces
04-03-10, 02:43 PM
You could try installing XP in a virtual machine and then install SC in it. If you have Win7 Profesional, Enterprise or Ultimate you can also use XPmode, which is a preinstalled virtual machine you can download from Microsoft.

ddiplock
04-03-10, 04:17 PM
I bought it and it works perfectly fine with Windows 7. But i'm going in circles on the 3rd tutorial mission. The TMA stuff with the "stacking the dots" bollocks really doen't make any sense at all. The guy's talking about old and new bearing lines and stuff and I have NO idea which is the new or old bearing lines :S I've gone through it several times and always end up quitting at the stacking the dots point because I just don't have a clue.

Not the best tutorial to be totally honest. Does anyone know of any decent tutorials/videos/guides somewhere that actually makes sense?? I don't even know how i'm supposed to stack the dots....am I meant to get them stacked in the centre of the orange line on top of eachother as best I can?? And why is there 4 lines there in the tutorial for the Sierra 1 contact when you're following one contact?? Arhhh!!!!

Sheesh Silent Hunter methods were childs play compared to this.....:o

ddiplock
04-03-10, 07:18 PM
Seems I got the hang of the TMA stuff after doing the tutorial a few times, as the guy says in the tutorial the solution doesn't need to be totally perfect, get it generally right enough and the torpedo's own sonar will guide it to the target :) I even moved the boat around in the training mission and used different array's and made sure the oiler was on a different bearing so that I could at least sink it if my submarine was where I wanted it to be, so that's good.

Was just trying one of the single missions, a Special Forces insertion/collection in the straight of Hormuz. Cruising along at 10 knots, towed array deployed to keep an eye on any contacts, nothing happening, ramp up the time compression to max and then several minutes later.....BOOM, my submarine is sunk....hit an influence mine apparently.

Brilliant.....:stare:

Still, enjoying it so far :D. Don't reckon i'll start the campaign until I've given the single missions a go and at least have SOME idea on what i'm doing....though the Akula's sonar display with the circles....THAT is pure weird, no idea how to use that at all. :timeout:

Julhelm
04-04-10, 04:25 AM
You should probably toggle truth on at leas once during the first missions so that you get a general idea of what you are supposed to be doing. The briefings are incredibly lackluster and the mission parameters really unfair. Like in the ice mission, where you pretty much have to nail the correct entrance through the ice right away and if you don't, tough luck because time runs out.

Likewise the SEAL insertion missions. If you raise the radio mast, you'll get a message that empty mine layers have entered port in Iran. I suppose the US doesn't have satellites in the area that can tell me approximately where those minelayers have been patrolling, right.

Also apparently the autocrew doesn't bother with active sonar or HF sonar, so you have to man those stations on your own.

ddiplock
04-04-10, 08:38 AM
Well, I guess its just going to take time for me to get used to the way things work.

I've tried numerous missions with the Akula and the broadband sonar display is just weird. It's quite tricky trying to detect contacts as there doesn't appear to be any engine noises I can hear, yet I can sometimes, SOMETIMES put the auto crew on, and they'll find something :S

nycoroner05
08-04-10, 12:09 PM
Just right click on the icon and choose to run compatblilty and it will take a few secs but then it will ask if you want to use this configuration and choose yes.

nycoroner05
08-11-10, 05:46 AM
Just use the compatibility mode when playing

juniorjj84
08-12-10, 09:54 PM
I have win 7 running a 64 bit and i cant play the game, my screen start flikering and at times i cant even see what im doing is a BOOMER, can anyone have a solution for this.
:damn::damn::damn::damn:

Smakar
02-11-11, 12:29 AM
I was also having issues with getting the display working correctly with Sub Command, and none of the Compatability modes or options worked. I have an ATI video card and I finally tried changing the Catalyst Control Center 3D settings, checking the "Use application settings" in the Anti-Aliasing and Anistrophic Filtering tabs, and Sub Command now runs perfectly, and without any Compatability Mode settings required.
I am a very happy sailor now :woot:

SAG55
02-12-11, 02:54 PM
Can anyone here tell me kindly if Sub Command works with Windows 7?

I just re-installed it to my PC after getting a new one with Win 7. I have to run it in compatibility mode with XP Service Pack 3 but it works fine.

juniorjj84
03-25-11, 01:20 PM
I dont know what you guys did, but my copy of SC doesnt work in windows 7 at all, i keep geting flikering images in my screen, damm and i cant play it at all, sometimes it locks up, sometimes go blank, aaaahhhhhhh, i have the same problem with FLEET COMMAND, the same exact thing. any ideas, sugestions, anything at all.
i have:
Desktop studio xps 435t/9000
intel core i7 cpu 920 2.67 GHz
cores 4
threads 8
1 tb hard drive
windows 7 64 bit
nvidea gforce gt 220

Sea Demon
08-10-11, 02:26 AM
Hello All,

I recently installed SC with SCXIIc on a Windows 7 64 bit machine and am having no errors running the game. So far at least. I run it with Windows XP (SP2) compatability mode. I also installed it outside of Program files like so many have recommended.

I do have one problem though. On the Akula Sonar screen, there are a series of horizontal lines running through the entire display. It makes it annoying when trying to search for broadband contacts. Any ideas on how to fix? Recommendations would be appreciated.

juniorjj84
08-10-11, 09:56 PM
Well im using windows 7, 64 bits an it works fine, rearly i get a screen flikering but is light.

FIREWALL
08-11-11, 01:31 AM
Well, I might be tempted to give it a go then. I had a copy but my brother lost it a few years back so I reckon i'll have to get it on Steam as part of the "classic naval pack" I can't just buy SC on its own....no that would be too much like common sense on Steam's part!!!

You can buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/Strategy-First-Interface-Straightforward-Automated/dp/B0051EEQ0K/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1313044066&sr=1-5

And just get SC for 15 bucks USA.

leparulo
01-13-12, 02:45 PM
'trying to navigate this site and find someone who is willing/desires to play subcommand on line

cemtufekci
10-14-12, 05:19 AM
I am running it well on windows 7 64 bit. But some sounds like crew member sounds, sonar sounds, torpedo\missile launch sounds are missing. Also no in game music but music is ok in main menu. Also the training mans sounds are ok and all the button sounds. Is this normal? In the sound options menu it says 'Attempt to support 3d sound in hardware failed'. Did anyone experienced this issue before?
Thank you in advance...

fastbikkel
04-10-14, 07:58 AM
Veeeeeeery late reply.

I had been playing SC on windows 7 for 2+ years now.
No problems at all!

But behold, two days ago it started crashing my pc completely. The whole pc needs to be restarted after 5 minutes of playing every time now.
I did not do any windows updates in the meantime, i seriously have no clue why after years of troublefree playing, it fails now.

Reinstalled SC more than 3 times after, it kept on failing.
I looked for new Geforce Videodrivers and at least i can use the default SC again, but when i install SCXII is crashes even before i can start a mission.

I am kind of depressed now, because i cannot see other alternatives at the moment. There are hardly any nuclear sub sims.

FPSchazly
04-10-14, 11:01 AM
Hey, so when I played Tom Clancy SSN recently (talk about old school!) I installed it on an XP operating system installed on Virtual Box. I have gotten Sub Command to work on Windows 7 but, as others have stated, I sometimes get weird blinking and graphical glitches, and then the intro movie doesn't always play sound, which is the best part! I love the Sub Command intro movie over the Dangerous Waters one... ANYWAY! If you have an old copy of XP laying around, I made a video tutorial for how to install a virtual operating system on VirtualBox.

How to Install WinXP on Oracle VM VirtualBox (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7R6tTiyO-s&list=PLOSvzqNmdX71qBAzGxNIokKbMQu9zUp3U)

I myself have not tried this method, but if it worked fine for Tom Clancy SSN, I think it should work for Sub Command!

Linux may also be an option, but that is not something I expect the every day user to be proficient in.

fastbikkel
04-10-14, 03:33 PM
Thanks!
That sounds like a good alternative alright, as long as it can make me play!
:-)

I will mingle a bit more with windows and see if i can locate the issue. It is a bit sad that the windows eventviewer cannot mention it, because it crashes hard.
But if i cannot find a way i will definately give that virtualisation a go.

fastbikkel
04-11-14, 01:05 PM
Alright, i am giving up after the eighth reinstall / attempt to fix. I have just started installing that virtualbox.

fastbikkel
04-14-14, 03:32 AM
Installed Oracle virtualbox without issues.
Installed windows XP sp2 from dvd into virtualbox, no issues either.
Reserved maximum CPU, Memory, Graphics memory and all for the virtual XP machine.

Installed Subcommand in the virtual pc without trouble as well, but it will not start at all!
I can see it running in taskmanager, but nothing happens.
I tried mingling around with settings in virtualbox, i can see the amount of memory Subcommand.exe uses change with each setting, but it never starts.

Then i tried another game, steelbeasts, which also has problems with windows 7.
It installs fine in virtual windows xp, but it also will not work.

Thanks for the suggestion about virtualbox, it seems like a great alternative, but in my case it does not work either.

Ooh man, i am limited in the options now. Guess i will have to install a real XP machine and keep it off internet because of the end of life of XP.

Pisces
04-14-14, 06:24 AM
Did you install SC in the default install location under Windows 7? (iow in c:\Program Files\Electronic Arts something\Subcommand)

I suggest you do not install (any game to be modded) in there. Any file changes the game makes in there , like in the Scenario folder, or application of the SCX/SCU patch, might be only temporary or not applied at all due special protection of the Program Files folder. Assign your own install folder outside of it. Then you do not need to run as admin, nor do you need to use the compatibility option.

Do not forget that you need to execute some .bat files to make the SCX/SCU patch complete.

I can get the stock game running in Win7 without a problem. Caveat: I do not have SCX/SCU applied at the moment. But I think I did have it in the past.

fastbikkel
04-14-14, 08:14 AM
I did install in the default directory yes.

But i never got to the point of installing SCX, the default game would not start so i do not even continue.

In windows 7 the game had been working for years without problems.
A week ago it failed and i never got it back to working condition.
I have no clue what happened as i had not made any changes in the meantime.

Therefor i started looking at virtualization.

Edit : i have the default game working again in windows 7, but i want SCX as well. If i cannot install SCX, i will not play it.

fastbikkel
04-15-14, 02:56 AM
I spoke too soon on my windows 7 subcommand default install. It failed again yesterday, hanging my complete pc.

This is really sad.

Pisces
04-15-14, 06:34 AM
Do you get any graphics or signs that the game starts to run? At what point does it hang?

The game doesn't seem to allow widescreen resolutions. At best it does 1280x1024 on my system. And my Nvidia Control pannel makes the GPU scale it up to fit inside my 1920x1080 screen.

Personally I have the following graphics settings in subcommand.ini:

.AdapterID 0
.DeviceID 0
.ModeID 3

fastbikkel
04-16-14, 03:27 AM
Hey Pisces,

I run the game at 1280x1024 as far as i can remember, i use an old style 19" screen, not a wide screen model so to speak.
It hangs during a mission, at random moments. I have not noticed a crash in the game opening menu.

What happens is that the pc freezes suddenly, the screen is full of little white blocks. I have to reboot, taskmanager does not respond any more.

It sure looks like a video issue. Why it suddenly appeared remains a mystery, i had not changed anything on the pc before it started happening. At least, no changes that i am aware of. I am the only user of the pc.

I will look at those settings in the INI file, maybe that can help me.

The game has shown flickering screens during start up for years, but that never seemed to be a problem. Once the mission started, that was all gone.
It ran like a charm, 1.08 edition with SCX installed.

Pisces
04-16-14, 03:04 PM
Another cause for that might be the use of multiple cpu cores. SC (and DW iirc) do not work well with multiple cores. In taskmanager select the SC task, and right click and choose "affinity". Then in that window select only 1 core, uncheck all the remaining cores in your cpu. Maybe that is the culprit. (boosdoener ;) )

fastbikkel
04-17-14, 03:15 AM
We hate "boosdoeners" alright :-)

I will take a look a it, thanks for the suggestion again.

I checked my INI file yesterday and noticed i had the exact same settings as you. I did edit a few of the things to see if there was a change, but no.

I also excluded the whole "subcommand" directory from the virusscanner, no result.

I mingled around with my Nvidia driver suite as well, checked/unchecked a load of settings, no result.

The story continues...

(edit : i have a bad habit of starting each and every damn line with "I".)

Pisces
04-17-14, 05:28 PM
I just found a page that explains how you can start a program with affinity assigned to a specific core, through a command line. So if this is entered into a .bat file or shortcut then it would be easily executed (from desktop or something) and not require manual assigned affinity through taskmanager.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/change-the-processor-affinity-setting-in-windows-7-to-gain-a-performance-edge/

[EDIT] T̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶a̶d̶, but I found the important part again: (quoted in the spoiler)
From a shortcut

Now if you find that running an application on a specific CPU core works well, you might want to use it again in the future. If so, chances are that you won't want to have to go through the Task Manager each time. Fortunately you can create a shortcut to launch an application with a specific affinity setting.

For example, to launch Disk Defragmenter so that it runs only on CPU 0, you would create a shortcut with the following command line:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 dfrgui.exe

To launch Disk Defragmenter on CPU 1, you would create a shortcut with the following command line:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 2 dfrgui.exe

The number that follows the start /affinity command is called the affinity mask and is defined as a hexadecimal number. However, the CPU core number can be calculated more easily using binary numbers. For instance, the command
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 3 dfrgui.exe

will launch Disk Defragmenter on both CPU 0 and CPU 1. If you convert 3 into a binary number you will get 0011. Under the affinity mask system, processors are numbered from the right to left beginning with 0 and since there are 1's in the first two places, this indicates CPU 0 and CPU 1.

Suppose you have a Quad core processor. If so and you use an affinity mask of 4, that will convert into binary 0100, which indicates CPU 2. If you use an affinity mask of 9, that will convert into binary 1001, which indicates CPU 0 and CPU 3.

For more information on the start /affinity command, open a Command Prompt window and type the command
start /?

fastbikkel
04-18-14, 06:12 AM
Hey Pisces,

yesterday i tried the affinity thing, selected 1 core but SC still crashed on all 3 attempts.

I will take a look at your new suggestion tonight.

It makes me sad for sure, i want to play again :-) i had made some serious missions.

One interesting detail though.. it now crashes on a somewhat normal way, writing logs into the eventviewer.

It mentions a memory adress and a code. Looking up those codes on internet (microsoft support) gave mixed results.
Turns out the code is not a particular thing, MS office can give the same error.

I am thinking it could even be a hardware problem in my memory modules because it suddenly appeared. Hardware problem is not a big chance, i will aim at a software solution for now still.

Now since 2 days ago my windows also crashes on rightclicking anything in windows explorer, so maybe my whole windows is just ****ed up.

Problems seem to come in groups lol

Could do a complete reinstall of windows as well, i am that desperate.

Pisces
04-18-14, 07:02 AM
Ok, if the rest of your OS seems unstable then I would first sort that out.

Hardware problems can always occur. It's not really the time of year yet, but temperature issues with cooling can also cause these kind of occurrences. Make sure your fans are clean and air flow is good inside the case and near the CPU and GPU.

Memory errors are easily tested with a iso image of http://www.memtest.org/ burned to cdrom.

fastbikkel
04-30-14, 03:46 AM
I will get back into SC one day. For now i have aimed my passion at SH4.

I am starting to like it, even though it is completely different. There is more to do in SH4.