PDA

View Full Version : Can a supermod team beat ubisoft to 1943-1945?

MattDizzle
03-24-10, 08:57 AM
Honest question, which do you all think will come first, a user made expansion of sh5 with more subs and time, or the ubisoft DLC expansion pack that is the whole reason they only made the first half of the war.

If you lot are really that mad at them the best way to get them back would be to defeat the buisiness model and offer a free alternative to their paid suggestion... Thoughts?

captainprid
03-24-10, 09:03 AM
I don't think Ubisoft will release one at all. Mainly due to the fact they know the modders will do it for free whereas they will want to charge £10+ for it as DLC. Either way I wouldn't hold your breath, I think this would take a long time even with dedicated modders

oscar19681
03-24-10, 09:11 AM
Rumour has it that there will be a "major update" for sh-5 in the autumn. I dont think this will be a patch of some sort but an addon. I mean its not logical to wait for a " major update " till after the summer if it would be a patch only.

Bilge_Rat
03-24-10, 09:34 AM
I don't see the commercial logic of a 43-45 campaign. If it is done right, you would spend all your time being hunted down by aircraft and HK group.

A addon which includes a new sub, say the type IX, with additional missions/mini-campaign makes more sense. That is what they did with the SH4 addon.

Nordmann
03-24-10, 09:43 AM
A historical '44 & '45 campaign would be difficult, but not impossible. Given that the outcome of the war can be changed (I believe) by the player's actions, surely then a late war campaign could also be somewhat different from real events?

TheDarkWraith
03-24-10, 09:48 AM
oh the devs were already thinking about an add-on or something from this bit of code I found in one of the script files (that was commented out):

##Removed SubmarineTypes (it will be added in the addon)
#DescriptionText += "<title>Submarine Types</title>|"
# add required sub types for this campaign
#for sub in self.CampaignData.RequiredSubTypes:
# for pic in SubmarineTypesTextureMap:
# if pic[0] == sub:
# DescriptionText += pic[1]

:|\\

captainprid
03-24-10, 09:55 AM
I would think a late war extention would be relatively easy as the basis of the game is already there. I would definately like to see a IX sub with greater range etc.
I think a re-supply mission could be cool too and the added bonus of the game getting harder and harder would be definately something I would subscribe to

bigboywooly
03-24-10, 10:00 AM
Depends on how they want to play it I guess
They could release the rest of war with a sub type - say type 9 - so enough ppl would buy it
Or they could release it alone knowing that with the way the dynamic campaign works you could have made a difference up till mid 43 so is worth seeing what happens and release ( sell ) the subs as a seperate DLC

Have no doubt there was always going to be an addon in some form or other

And whos to say will stop there
Guess the Pacific could be released as a DLC also at a later date
Files are still seperated as were in SH4 with American and German sub folders
Except the campaign

So if you wanna play in a fleet boat you will have to buy the original
All speculation but a nice way to keep the money coming in with no outlay in producing discs etc

Nordmann
03-24-10, 10:01 AM
I would think a late war extention would be relatively easy as the basis of the game is already there. I would definately like to see a IX sub with greater range etc.
I think a re-supply mission could be cool too and the added bonus of the game getting harder and harder would be definately something I would subscribe to

The problem with a Type IX is the fact that they would need to do a completely new interior, which I doubt they'd be all that keen on. It would take time, and I suspect time is something that will be devoted elsewhere.

MattDizzle
03-24-10, 10:07 AM
What part of "More frequent releases of franchises" do you guys not get? DLC is the only reason the game would have been made with only half the war, a major game company should have no problem making new subs and maps if it means another commercial release out of the same game basically. Its a great idea and i'll be shocked if it doesnt happen.

bigboywooly
03-24-10, 10:08 AM
The problem with a Type IX is the fact that they would need to do a completely new interior, which I doubt they'd be all that keen on. It would take time, and I suspect time is something that will be devoted elsewhere.

Aye a new interior would need to be done but whos to say not already started but ran out of time
Same as the type 2
Files are ingame and indeed does work as an AI unit with some work needing doing on the scopes

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/bigboywooly/mission%20editor/type2-1.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/bigboywooly/mission%20editor/?action=view&current=type2-1.jpg)

And if its in a DLC its a money to fund the work

Bilge_Rat
03-24-10, 10:15 AM
Normally, customers are not really interested in just buying a mission pack. They want to see new units. It was the same with all the IL-2 addons. WE would like a 43-45 campaign done right, with additional units and weapons, but the subnuts are still just a small part of the customer base.

Adding a new sub, say a type IX, with improvements to the game, again as per the IL-2 addons makes it easier to sell. Plus, how hard can it be for them to model the interior of a type IX. It is basically just a longer type VII with additional living space.

Regio Sommergibile
03-24-10, 10:23 AM
*PAUSE*

TypII is ingame !??!

How did you !??!

bigboywooly
03-24-10, 10:32 AM
*PAUSE*

TypII is ingame !??!

How did you !??!

Open the Subs cfg - data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat2a
and change
HumanPlayable=YES
to
HumanPlayable=NO

Make yourself a roster cfg

[UnitClass]
ClassName=SSTypeIIA
UnitType=200
AppearanceDate=19360725
DisappearanceDate=19410101
DisplayName=GE Type IIA

and drop into German folder

data\Roster\German\Submarine

Regio Sommergibile
03-24-10, 11:11 AM
Love you mate... Thanks i'll give it a look ;)

Chromius
03-24-10, 06:15 PM
The TypeII already has a detailed exterior in SH5, and has a more detailed interior than SH5 being worked on (originally for SH4 but they are looking to make it work for SH5 too.)

If someone figures out how to get it all in, I believe the work Tomi 099 is doing on the TypeII Engine room (including toilet, lol) and the Torpedo Room which was started by Mikhayl and I believe handed off to Tomi 099 to be finished.

Heres the links the Type II Engine Room is UNBELIEVABLE for anyone that has missed this. The problem may be with so much detail it may bring many computers to its knees (I may be wrong, just a guesstimate.)

Links (theres an excellent MUST SEE (better than SH5) U-Tube clip of the engine room somewhere in there.)

edit: heres a link to one video and his others are there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ihHHtcOIXQ&feature=channel

Type II Torpedo Room started by Mikhayl and updates on Tomi 099 Engine Room

(see page 86 for a couple pics, pictures are scattered.)

http://174.123.69.202/~subsimc/radioroom/showthread.php?t=141858&highlight=torpedo+room+tomi (http://174.123.69.202/%7Esubsimc/radioroom/showthread.php?t=141858&highlight=torpedo+room+tomi)

Original Engine Room thread

http://174.123.69.202/~subsimc/radioroom/showthread.php?t=153853&highlight=engine+room+tomi (http://174.123.69.202/%7Esubsimc/radioroom/showthread.php?t=153853&highlight=engine+room+tomi&page=26)

If you have missed these threads you better look at them.

bigboywooly
03-25-10, 12:29 AM
The TypeII already has a detailed exterior in SH5,.

Aye I did see pics of the type 2 in one of the German sites preview shots using a beta
Obv didnt get time to finish the sub completely so removed enough so doesnt show ingame
Is lacking other files IIRC - crew waypoint info etc and the scopes,rwr need a good look at
But does look good for a future DLC unless they dont go on to complete it
A pity wasnt a type 9 tho

Tomi and Mikhayls work is exceptional as always

Mav87th
03-27-10, 01:48 AM
I would rather see a US subs add on so the pacific war is upgraded to SH-5 standard.

Athlonic
03-27-10, 02:44 AM
I don't see the commercial logic of a 43-45 campaign. If it is done right, you would spend all your time being hunted down by aircraft and HK group.

A addon which includes a new sub, say the type IX, with additional missions/mini-campaign makes more sense. That is what they did with the SH4 addon.

Agree.

I just realized that I have never finished a carriere in 1945 nor in SH III neither in SH IV (with Uboat mission and Operation Mosoon).
Got fed up in late 1943 by thoses nasty aircraft :cry:
War is not always "cool" isn't it ?

This is why I take the time to enjoy "Happy times" in SH V right now, the Uboat Golden era.

And this remind me that the type VII/C is the only one I used in previous versions of SH (except the type II in '39).

So useless to tell you that I am more than Happy with SH V even with the '39-'43 and type VII "restrictions". :D

All I need right now is a few official patchs to fix what we can not fix by ourselves.

Sgtmonkeynads
03-27-10, 03:24 AM
I was trying to explain the difference between Gwx and SH5 to a buddy of mine today. Where to start ?

By the end of the conversation he made me change my mind about it all, he said, " Well if this new game was made as hard as the one you say is very realistic, then you shouldn't survive that long. Let a lone till the end of the war. Especially if they want you to hunt down battleships and 500,000 tons of shipping per mission." "Even if you did, you'd be promoted amd taken out of action."

That last bit got me thinking of Thompsen, and how the end of Sh5 should be a promotion and a desk job, then once the war starts going badly, in the sequal, your brought back for a mighty return.

Now, as for the bet....my money is on the home team.

kylania
03-27-10, 03:32 AM
I was trying to explain the difference between Gwx and SH5 to a buddy of mine today.

GWX was designed by a group of people to whom historical accuracy is a passion and compelling and realistic gameplay is the ultimate goal no matter what it takes nor how long it takes.

SH5 was designed by a group of employees to whom historical accuracy is a design goal and compelling and realistic gameplay is a design document limited by time and budget and publishers focus.

The devs have their hands tied. We don't. That's why SH3 + GWX is "better" then SH5, but really that's not really a fair comparison. SH5 vanilla is (well, will be once the "basic UI fix" patch is out) is better than SH3 vanilla in graphics, immersion and potential.

Sgtmonkeynads
03-27-10, 03:53 AM
That's why I said "Where to start"

I know you can't compare the two. My buddy just wanted to know what was so different about Sh5.

Sh3 is just the only other game like it to compare it with and I can't talk about Sh3 with out GWX.

I meant no offense to anyone.

urfisch
03-27-10, 05:47 AM
i think extending the campaign itself is not that hard to realize. even with additional dynamic content...but getting new uboat types, this might be the harder way.

getting imported the older boats from sh3 or sh4 might be possible. but i dont know, what to do about the interiors...this is a bunch or work i guess.

alexradu89
03-27-10, 07:09 AM
Ubisoft should release a DLC that adds 43-45 war period and introduces the type IX u-boats :yeah:

bigboywooly
03-27-10, 08:25 AM
SH5 vanilla is (well, will be once the "basic UI fix" patch is out) is better than SH3 vanilla in graphics, immersion and potential.

Not so sure about the immersion part
You know now when your crew spots a ship its either your own or the enemy
Out in the atlantic its always gonna be the enemy
Sh3 spotted neutrals out the box SH5 doesnt
The lack of units is also an immersion killer
You know if you pick a contact on hydro its gonna be a minimum of 1850 tonnes unless its an armed trawler
No fishing vessels or tugs

Graphics and potential I cant argue with
SH5 has both in heaps