PDA

View Full Version : The incomplete stock UI

Ducimus
03-17-10, 02:37 AM
The following is my own analysis on what the stock UI is missing and what is needed to make it complete, therego functional. There are plenty of retro mods, but its my hope that by pointing out whats lacking, someone versed in UI modding might take up the challenge. The minimalist style isn't preferred by all, but for those who prefer it, things are not certainly looking up.

Anyway, if your first foray into SH5 was anything like mine, then you noticed the following was most glaringly absent:

A way to...
- determine heading
- determine or set rudder in degrees to port or starboard.
- set propulsion mode (to recharge battery or not)
- adjust salvo spread
- see torpedo gyro angle
- adjust legs on pattern running torpedos
- access anything resembeling a proper TDC
- determine depth under keel
- report weather
- determine distance to maximum distance at current speed
- return to course
- plot a search pattern
- better control the deck gun, such as fire at will, aiming at water line, etc.
- report nearest visual contacts
- access the gramophone
- acesss the user radio
- report nearest contact, follow nearest ship, etc

Now much of these can and are added back via hotkeys. But everyones hotkey configuration is going to be different, so these things should be accessible regardless of what hotkeys your using, so they should be intergrated into the UI somehow. However, some of these commands could be accessible onto respective and logical crewman who would be handeling some of these things in a real sub. So lets arbitrarily cut this list down.

These should be accessible on the UI, no doubt.

- determine heading
- determine or set rudder in degrees to port or starboard.
- set propulsion mode (to recharge battery or not)
- adjust salvo spread
- see torpedo gyro angle

While the lack of a proper TDC is noticeable, having one there isn't totally neccessary excepting that we have no way to adjust pattern runners! Therego go a full on TDC is not only desierable, but neccessary!
Such as the one illustrated in this post: (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1311370&postcount=56)

- adjust legs on pattern running torpedos
- access anything resembeling a proper TDC

These should be conversation options on the navigator

- determine depth under keel
- report weather
- determine distance to maximum distance at current speed
- return to course
- plot a search pattern

These should be conversation options on the watch officer

- better control the deck gun, such as fire at will, aiming at water line, etc.
- report nearest visual contacts

These should be conversation options on the radio operator

- access the gramophone
- acesss the user radio

Soundman conversation options obviously
- report nearest contact, follow nearest ship, etc

Im not sure where to adjust the conversation options, and though they differ from the User interface overlay, they can be considered part of the overall user interface with the game. I mention them on this point alone.

Now then, back to the user overlay...

Here's stock in all its unfinished glory:
http://www.ducimus.net/sh5/stock_gui.jpg
The tutorial icons should probably go. The mission icon, is up to personal opinion, id say leave the mission icon, but one could always check their log if they dont remember what they were doing the last time they logged off. (like an MMO. lol)

By way of comparision, thanks to gutted (See his thread here: (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=164798) ) we have a little more to go on.

http://www.ducimus.net/sh5/edit_gui.jpg
Now we know which way where heading, and look, we have a retractable orders bar. pretty sweet! But, we still have no way to tell what our rudders doing, and those buttons, while looking pretty spiffy, do nothing. Possible options to make those buttons perform, should probably related to the operation of the uboat, or most used commands for convienance.

examples could be:
- set propulsion/recharge mode
- raise/lower snorkel
- battle stations
- access to TDC screen if it existed
- depth under keel
- return to course

As for the rudder control, it should probably work like the depth control, only on a horizontal bar instead of a verticle one. and ideally be accessed , when one presses the CNTRL button, the compass being replaced by the rudder control, and graduated on a scale of:
( 35 port to 0 midships to 35 starboard)

That out of the way, here's the stock periscope:
http://www.ducimus.net/sh5/stock_peri.jpg
While some users may not like that is offset and not centered, id say its a good thing in disguise. It leaves the entire left portion of the screen to place informational and control items without obscuring the periscope view.

Next screenshot for comparision

http://www.ducimus.net/sh5/edited_peri.jpg
here's an edited version. Layout may vary, but the salvo angle adjustment and gyro angle should most definatly be there in some befitting manner. That leaves the rest of the portion for something else. Perhaps pattern running torpedo adjustments below the gyro angle when those torpedos are loaded?

here's and edited UZO:
http://www.ducimus.net/sh5/edit_uzo.jpg
Items of note here:
- centered view causes clutter when neccessary items are added. They should probably be positioned in an orderly manner around the UZO view, or maybe shove the UZO a smiidge to the right so its slighly off centered like the periscope.

- How the orders bar found by gutted looks when retracted.

- the little read square .. ignore that. i was going to illustrate something about rudder commands but lost my train of thought.

Anyway, im outta gas and this post i think got super long. Hopefully it conveys what is lacking and required to make a minimalist UI more functional.

If anyone has something to add that i missed, add it!

gutted
03-17-10, 02:52 AM
I like your idea of ctrl key turning that heading tape into a rudder control. Didn't even occur to me. *slaps head*

jwilliams
03-17-10, 02:55 AM
I like your ideas..... this is what is needed.:yeah:

I dont mind the new UI, but as you said, it needs more options.

If someone mods the UI as you suggested, then i would be very happy. :yep:

Westbroek
03-17-10, 03:24 AM
Love these ideas. I'm very much in agreement with this. Ideally (and I only wish I had the know-how to contribute to such an effort) the dialogue trees could really saddle the bulk of our commands. I mean, seriously, let's give our Navigator a reason to live, he's old and scrambling for purpose in life.
If there was a way to scramble together a crew capable of taking multiple orders, a more interactive "clickable" interior with a TDC, and this minimal GUI... we'd be sitting pretty...
:up:

TopCat
03-17-10, 05:09 AM
Well, this suggestions look promising. This way I could even live with the new UI. The TDC must definitly be fully functional and accessible, but not necessarily on the scope and UZO page (that would be more realistic, because you were not able to look through the scope and look at the TDC at the same time). I would even prefer a separate TDC-Page in combination with a working TDC in the tower. I'd also love to see somewhere whether the tube doors are open or not.

Drifter
03-17-10, 06:29 AM
These should be conversation options on the navigator

These should be conversation options on the watch officer

These should be conversation options on the radio operator

Soundman conversation options obviously

Im not sure where to adjust the conversation options, and though they differ from the User interface overlay, they can be considered part of the overall user interface with the game. I mention them on this point alone.

Ducimus, good post. I have extensively experimented with the dialog scripts. I may be wrong about this, but it appears that only certain function commands will work with dialog scripts, certain function commands with crew scripts, etc. I tried using various crew commands in the dialog scripts, but I always got crashes. I could find no stock instances where crew commands were used in dialog scripts. I also tried using the key commands directly in the dialog scripts. Again- got crashes. It's worrying, because it appears the dev. team never intended for crew commands to be modded into crew dialog. Maybe some other modder will have better luck than I have. :-?

Drifter
03-17-10, 06:40 AM
Here is an example. The orange highlight is the part I modified. The command should work, but crashes. Any ideas?

strategy DialogLine_RootDialog_CHIEF_NoCampaign_37_Click(Di alog)
{
precond
{
Dialog:IsDialogLineClicked( "DialogLine_RootDialog_CHIEF_NoCampaign_37" ) == 1
}
action
{
Dialog:GameCommand( "Crash_dive" );
}

Galanti
03-17-10, 06:54 AM
The tutorial icons should probably go. The mission icon, is up to personal opinion, id say leave the mission icon, but one could always check their log if they dont remember what they were doing the last time they logged off. (like an MMO. lol)

Should probably go?

See, this is what I'm not understanding with you guys who like the new UI. You're saying the dials are intrusive and unrealistic, but you're waffling on all the other garbage introduced with the new UI. ALL those indicators need to go, as well as everything in the top-right corner. Who actually uses those TC buttons? And I know when I'm submerged, FFS.

That said, this is a well thought-out analyisis. The idea about adding in all our missing functionality into the crew dialogs is brilliant. I would only suggest that some of them be available at all dialogs (yes, even if we have to scroll), as it might feel kind of silly to have to go up to the bridge to ask the Watch Officer what the weather was like.

digitizedsoul
03-17-10, 07:27 AM
Here is an example. The orange highlight is the part I modified. The command should work, but crashes. Any ideas?

strategy DialogLine_RootDialog_CHIEF_NoCampaign_37_Click(Di alog)
{
precond
{
Dialog:IsDialogLineClicked( "DialogLine_RootDialog_CHIEF_NoCampaign_37" ) == 1
}
action
{
Dialog:GameCommand( "Crash_dive" );
}

Is this python? Looks like it...

Is "GameCommand" defined? If not that would explain the crashes..

SteveTRM
03-17-10, 07:28 AM
I got slaped in the face for mentioning this in a previous thread but please check this out - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=164798 I think it is a sticky aswell!

Incase you didnt know - Silent Hunter 5 come with all the stuff you need to edit the whole Game and a script debugger to check where you are going wrong. I know alot of you are just using Notepad etc but there really isnt any point - Just use the programs provided.

I have tried no end of mods and most of them are causing errors which you dont know about until you run the game using the information from the above thread. Please check it out for yourself before you all flame at me :)

You can actually edit files while the game is running, turn things off and on etc - Check what and why the devs have left some stuff out. You can edit the Terrain, add buildings etc, even edit the whole map - WHILE playing the Game lol

Dont forget you also get the Goblin Editor - this is a powerful piece of kit that allows you to look at the gr2 files, link files to nodes etc, edit the routes and waypoints of the animations etc etc etc - i have only scatched the surface of it but you can even load stuff in from sh4 (not tried sh3 as its not installed but i dont see why it wont work)

I think the possibilities are endless - imagine all previous versions of sh in sh5 - i think atleast the subs can be added but its way over my head lol

Dont get me wrong - i'm no modder, well not much anyway but i do like to fiddle and for me SH5 has been worth every penny, i know the drm thing is a nightmare and hopefully they will drop it but to have this much access to a game is worth the price.

All i want now is ducimus to work his magic and get some of the dials and buttons within the sub to actually work and i'm sure if he uses the supplied editors he will find it so easy ;) I'm currently working on sounds - i already have the radio operator comment when the radio is turned on :)

Anyway - i wish you all good luck

Bilge_Rat
03-17-10, 08:26 AM
all good ideas. I also prefer the clean SH5 UI to the SH3/4 one, but anything than can be added to make it more functional is a good idea.

a couple of points:

1. most of the icons on the top center can be removed now by clicking on them;

2. I use the TC buttons in the top right corner all the time and find them very handy;

3. I prefer to have the periscope offset to one side, since you can drag and shape the TAI map on the left side and look at the map and scope at the same time;

4. I like the way the TDC works, very clean, intuitive and functional. My only suggestion would be to see if it could be lowered a bit so that it does not cover so much of the screen. On the other hand, having it there, makes it easier to keep an eye on the target and work on your solution at the same time;

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3504/manualtdc0010.jpg

The General
03-17-10, 08:42 AM
This is precisely what I'd like to see Ducimus. Thank you for taking the time to do this illustration. :up:

I have a feeling that the Devs would never admit that the new U.I. needs improvement and that we won't see any improvement in a forthcoming Patch (if there is one) :-?

Medzell
03-17-10, 11:21 AM
I have to admit I DID put the "backwards" mods in to try them for day and decided that was NOT the way to go. If we're constantly going to look backwards we might as well just stick with the tried and tested SH3 with OLC's or Manos' GUI ffs!

At present I'm using a keyboard overlay to get various control options and I've "activated" the existing SH5 heading bar which is a very handy although it simply reads out and doesn't allow setting a hdg other than by dragging a waypoint. The existing TDC control such as it is works perfectly well but a proper "dedicated" TDC screen would be wonderful and, of course, a Stadimeter that you could actually use! At present I set myself up for a measured distance and let the target cross the line with a simple 15 degree offset which means I don't need to use the Stadimeter at all. Unfortunately, without a good Stadimeter, it's so frustrating trying to work with map contacts off that it saves a lot or heartache just to have then switched on.

Having said all that, the new SH5 UI has amazing POTENTIAL if only people could look forwards instead of backwards all the time. I've no doubt, given enough time and the efforts of the VERY talented modders around the place, that SH5 will become as immensely popular and satisfying as SH3/GWX. (SH4 never rocked my boat to be honest).

Yes, it's currently far from perfect; Yes, there are a zillion small and annoying bugs; yes, it lends itself to the video gaming fraternity with those embarrassing "Pac-Man" areas around warships BUT it has the potential to be a real gem.

TheDarkWraith
03-18-10, 03:06 AM
coming right along.......AOTD_Rhoenen did the officers for me for the officer shortcut bar.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=1439

more to do :cool: I've found lots of goodies that the devs disabled either because they didn't have time to finish or ??? The top heading indicator on the binoculars is an option. I finally figured out how to use my own option file and thus each page loads the option file. The option file defines what the page looks like and can do. This allows me to combine UIs into one mod AND to make a page available in the game that the user can go to to configure their UI (this page hasn't been implemented yet though). The map tools bar is intelligent now. It knows when to expand and contract and you can tell it not to expand when you expand the TAI (you can also minimize it when the TAI is expanded). The TAI is also intelligent now. It will not expand anymore (when it was minimized) when returning from the map view, external cam, or any other station (it stays minimized). I fixed all kinds of errors, there's been a lot.
The officer shortcut bar is SH3 style in the way it works. When you click on an officer a row of commands pops up above them. Then you select the command you want. They are basically like the commands from SH3. This gives the missing functionality (weather reports, gramophone, depth under keel, etc.) that's been missing from SH5.

gutted
03-18-10, 03:24 AM
Lookin' good DW.

That version of the interface in your pic.. along with your minimalist TDC dials mod is definately the route im going. I dont really care for the SHIV style dials.

Jander
03-18-10, 03:30 AM
Lookin' good DW.

That version of the interface in your pic.. along with your minimalist TDC dials mod is definately the route im going. I dont really care for the SHIV style dials.

/signed. This looks definitely like the kind of interface I want to use in SH5.

Westbroek
03-18-10, 03:31 AM
Hey now, that's looking real promising DarkWraith. Keep up the good digging!
:salute:

gutted
03-18-10, 03:40 AM
I got slaped in the face for mentioning this in a previous thread but please check this out - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=164798 I think it is a sticky aswell!

My reply to you was not meant as a slap in the face. Sorry you took at that way.

I was merely pointing out that your suggestion to use the scriptmanager to make the change was overkill for changing two specific values that i had pointed out.

What you suggested would require:

They would have to launch their game.
change their graphics settings to a windowed mode.
Exit the game.
Enable the modding stuff in the config file.
Relaunch the game.
Turn on the script manager.
Make the two changes and apply them.
Change their graphics back to their Fullscreen mode.
Exit the game.
Disable the modding tools.
Then relaunch the game to play normally.

Understand now?

Yes we know about the script manager. And no i wasn't using notepad when i found the values.

skwasjer
03-18-10, 04:27 AM
Duci, most of the commands you mentioned are already supported by my speech recognition mod. Not saying the should not be added, but I've played the game for 4-5 days with it, and I am not missing the buttons in the UI at all. I just say 'standard propulsion' or 'rudder 5 degrees to starboard' and voila! Now, for those unable to play with speech recognition, the extra buttons would be a godsent, but I'm just saying, I like the bare UI as it is except for maybe the missing compas.

[edit] Oh, and I definately don't like to see a SH3/SH4 clone UI.

Deep Six
03-18-10, 04:33 AM
I Have to agree with Ducimus on this, going forwards not backwards is the right way to go....

Ducimus with his vision and Darkwraith with his modding will produce the best ui yet for SH5.

Nice to see all these little gems hidden away in the files that are now coming to light. This game definitely has the potential to be by far the best submarine simulation of its ilk, for many years to come. Pity that AGAIN its left to the modders to do the bread and butter stuff from scratch again.

Cheers

Deep six...... Up for air once in awhile

Decoman
03-18-10, 04:43 AM
I have a list of some conciderations:

• Movable UI elements, preferably with a lock, when appropriate.
• Resizable UI elements, when appropriate.
• Responsive mouse-over-balloons, when appropriate.
• Responsive mouse-over-graphics, when appropriate.
• Snap to screen edge, snap to UI menu elements, when appropriate.
• Hotkey support for UI elements
• Hotkey support for overlay UI elements, e.g spawning menu when holding down a button
• Unused UI elements, for adding new UI elements if new UI elements couldn't otherwise be modded to be used in the game.

Coldcall
03-18-10, 06:04 AM
Darkwraith,

Gotta say your UI is looking faboulous! Persoanlly i'd be pleased with a few UIs to chose from so i dont see why different modders dont come up with different UIs which can be switched around.

I/m just appreciative all you great modders like Ducimus, Darkwraith and all others who are creating mods. I really feel bad my tech skills are so poor because i feel im just leeching off eveyones work.

TheDarkWraith
03-18-10, 09:00 AM
Darkwraith,

Gotta say your UI is looking faboulous! Persoanlly i'd be pleased with a few UIs to chose from so i dont see why different modders dont come up with different UIs which can be switched around.

I/m just appreciative all you great modders like Ducimus, Darkwraith and all others who are creating mods. I really feel bad my tech skills are so poor because i feel im just leeching off eveyones work.

well now that I can import my own 'settings' on demand I have the ability to make multiple UIs a snap. My vision is for the game to read files associated with a UI that defines what the UI looks like. This way people can create new UIs on their own.
The real neat part is that you'll be able to change up your UI in real time via a page like preferences or options. Don't like the way your UI looks while playing? Hit the escape key, go to preferences or options, make some changes, resume game to see changes. That's where I'm heading with this.

so now I need to sort out the orders bar. My vision for the orders bar is that it's orders that only the captain can give - orders like battlestations, rig for silent running, etc. So I'd like to compile a list of these commands so I can implement them. Let's make a list so I can complete the orders bar (it wasn't visible in my screenshot as I haven't implemented it yet). I'll compile a list of what each officer can do from the officer shortcut bar and post here.

Ducimus
03-18-10, 11:20 AM
well now that I can import my own 'settings' on demand I have the ability to make multiple UIs a snap. My vision is for the game to read files associated with a UI that defines what the UI looks like. This way people can create new UIs on their own.
The real neat part is that you'll be able to change up your UI in real time via a page like preferences or options. Don't like the way your UI looks while playing? Hit the escape key, go to preferences or options, make some changes, resume game to see changes. That's where I'm heading with this.

so now I need to sort out the orders bar. My vision for the orders bar is that it's orders that only the captain can give - orders like battlestations, rig for silent running, etc. So I'd like to compile a list of these commands so I can implement them. Let's make a list so I can complete the orders bar (it wasn't visible in my screenshot as I haven't implemented it yet). I'll compile a list of what each officer can do from the officer shortcut bar and post here.
:agree::sign_yeah:
His vision doesn't sound as myopic as mine. :O:

Ducimus
03-18-10, 11:24 AM
Duci, most of the commands you mentioned are already supported by my speech recognition mod. Not saying the should not be added, but I've played the game for 4-5 days with it, and I am not missing the buttons in the UI at all. I just say 'standard propulsion' or 'rudder 5 degrees to starboard' and voila! Now, for those unable to play with speech recognition, the extra buttons would be a godsent, but I'm just saying, I like the bare UI as it is except for maybe the missing compas.

[edit] Oh, and I definately don't like to see a SH3/SH4 clone UI.

Skwas, i love your work. I really really do. (do you sense a "but...." ? )

But.... do you know how silly i would look in front of my Gal, and friends if i sat here calling out orders into a microphone? Id be getting stranger looks, and colorful new names, and be on the recieiving end of pointed jokes. Hell, even the neighbors would probably hear me and think ive flipped my lid. I won't give them that opportunity! :rotfl2:

If i wasn't for that, id be using voice commands. :haha:

sergei
03-18-10, 11:42 AM
Yep.
My friends already think I'm strange for playing sub games.
God knows what they would think if I started barking orders at my computer.

skwasjer
03-18-10, 11:52 AM
Skwas, i love your work. I really really do. (do you sense a "but...." ? )

But.... do you know how silly i would look in front of my Gal, and friends if i sat here calling out orders into a microphone? Id be getting stranger looks, and colorful new names, and be on the recieiving end of pointed jokes. Hell, even the neighbors would probably hear me and think ive flipped my lid. I won't give them that opportunity! :rotfl2:

If i wasn't for that, id be using voice commands. :haha:
You're missing out! :D But I see your point. But even if I don't play I'm talking to my computer anyway (oh ffs, **** this, this is bull****, etc...) so people around me are used to it :har:

Hyfrydle
03-18-10, 01:27 PM
Just stumbled on this thread and the idea's are really sounding good. I especially like the talking to the officers to carry out tasks. Maybe they should have got rid of the storyline and concentrated on making the crew interaction actually useful. The enjoyment would come from been in the right place at all times on the sub.

Imagine a scenario where you have retired to your bunk for the night and the watch shouts ship spotted. In the stock game the map is available at all times but maybe it should only be available if your in the control room so first you would rush to the control room to check the contact and plot the course then speak to the navigator to order the course change including speed and depth.

Then you would have to order battle stations so that the sub is prepared for battle you would need to keep checking the range to the contact and probably go to the conning tower for a visual check.

This would actually make the 3D sub environment more meaningful and actually put the crew to use.

Regarding the problem of putting commands in the dialogue options I'm no modder but some do actually have an effect on the sub so there must be some way to do this. Hopefully not hard coded.

I've started to really enjoy the immersion in SH V and interacting with the crew would take this to another level.

Hope this makes sense.

TheDarkWraith
03-18-10, 01:47 PM
Almost finished up with the CE (Engineers orders - he's the far left officer icon). I have to remove one icon from his category bar (Emergency orders - the round lifesaver has to go). All his categories and associated orders work when you click on them. Greyed out means not available.
You'll notice that I added another icon to the left side depth bar. It has the same appear as the crash drive (it's located below crash dive) and it's emergency surface (keeping with the theme of the bar). I'll need a new .dds so that I can get an icon for it (we need to create one). I have to attach the command to the button yet but at least it's added.
Adding missing tooltips as I find them.

So the CE has categories of (his category bar):

Propulsion (the propeller)
Maneuvers (the jaggy arrow)
Emergency orders (the round lifesaver) - going to be removed as causes problems
Reports (the piece of paper)

Currently what you see are the Propulsion orders available - the orders bar for the category propulsion (from left to right):

Normal propulsion
Battery recharge mode
Rig for silent running
Secure from silent running
Raise snorkel
Lower snorkel

I also removed the depth arrow when you're not in advanced mode (along with the verical line). It was annoying the hell out of me. It should only be visible in advanced HUD mode.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=1440

sergei
03-18-10, 02:14 PM
This is looking very promising DarkWraith :up:

Bilge_Rat
03-18-10, 02:27 PM
Yes, that looks very nice DarkWraith. Glad to see you working on improving the stock UI.

TheDarkWraith
03-18-10, 02:36 PM
if the graphically inclined would like to add an icon to the \data\Menu\Gui\Layout\MainOrders.dds file I would very much appreciate it for the emergency surface icon I added :yep:

kylania
03-18-10, 02:44 PM
if the graphically inclined would like to add an icon to the \data\Menu\Gui\Layout\MainOrders.dds file I would very much appreciate it for the emergency surface icon I added :yep:

Not sure what size it needs to be, but how about this one:

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/5641/floaties.jpg

:DL

bigboywooly
03-18-10, 03:01 PM
Looking good DarkWraith
Esp like the idea of being able to adapt it to your own needs
Gotta have a compass
lol

Just a thought but as you have bought back weather reports
Wonder if any way to send a weather report
Was broken in SH3 :dead: and as you know any boat out of torps but plenty of fuel ( or was it the othe rway around ) would end up as a weather boat for a while sending back reports

Something that could be added into the missions :hmmm:

sergei
03-18-10, 03:08 PM

You mean something like this?

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8757/blowko.jpg

reaper7
03-18-10, 03:27 PM

Hi Dark did up a quick one for ya (Have in dds with alpha as well, Grey is in alpha so layout color will be consistent with other icons)

Edit: Can be uesd for surface as well as dive, just rotate 90' (cause I just noticed I did it a Crashdive :doh:).

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/reaper7_bucket/Silent%20Hunter%205%20Recon%20Manual%20Mod/CrashDive.jpg

PS. Have also done up some TDC graphics is you want to use em.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=165377

reaper7
03-18-10, 04:20 PM
Have done one of the data\Menu\Gui\Layout\MainOrders.dds as well as the data\Menu\Gui\Layout\Hud3.dds if your interested.
In the same styling. Again just showing the Alpha, otherwise to appears a very dark Brown in RBG. PM for Hud3.dds file.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/reaper7_bucket/Silent%20Hunter%205%20Recon%20Manual%20Mod/Surface-2.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/reaper7_bucket/Silent%20Hunter%205%20Recon%20Manual%20Mod/Surface.jpg

Edit: Redone the mainorders.dds

Ducimus
03-18-10, 05:10 PM
DarkWraith, that screenshot is better pure awesome!

I have one request though. Can you make it so that if i put the map down it stays down? One thing that bugs the piss out of me is when i put it down, look through the peri or UZO, and it pops up again, and then back to normal view, and it pops up yet again! Just a personal perference thing, but id rather only want to see that map when i call on it.

sergei
03-18-10, 05:20 PM
You need the Less Annoying TAI Mod by Gutted.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=164663

ironkross
03-18-10, 05:25 PM
Awsome. You guys are making SH5 look like it was meant to look. The icons are really cool too. Using Dark's ui now but this would really complete the way SH5 looks. Thanks.

ReallyDedPoet
03-18-10, 05:29 PM

Yeah this :yep:

TheDarkWraith
03-18-10, 06:16 PM

I have one request though. Can you make it so that if i put the map down it stays down? One thing that bugs the piss out of me is when i put it down, look through the peri or UZO, and it pops up again, and then back to normal view, and it pops up yet again! Just a personal perference thing, but id rather only want to see that map when i call on it.

already fixed. The TAI map is now intelligent. There are settings in my file that the user can enable/disable that controls whether the TAI map expands to TAI state (if it was minimized) when you use the UZO, attack periscope, or Obs periscope. I don't like the TAI expanding from minimized when I use those views so I added these options in. When you leave the station (UZO, attack, or obs) the TAI map will close back down to minimized state if it was previously minimized.

TheDarkWraith
03-18-10, 06:20 PM
Have done one of the data\Menu\Gui\Layout\MainOrders.dds as well as the data\Menu\Gui\Layout\Hud3.dds if your interested.
In the same styling. Again just showing the Alpha, otherwise to appears a very dark Brown in RBG. PM for Hud3.dds file.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/reaper7_bucket/Silent%20Hunter%205%20Recon%20Manual%20Mod/Surface-2.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/reaper7_bucket/Silent%20Hunter%205%20Recon%20Manual%20Mod/Surface.jpg

Edit: Redone the mainorders.dds

those will work great. Thanks. Where can I download them from?

Now we need to start thinking about the orders bar (that I haven't added yet). We're going to need to decide on what to put in it (I can add more boxes to it if needed) and we'll need new icons for it. So what captain's orders should we put in the orders boxes?

TheDarkWraith
03-18-10, 06:27 PM
AOTD_Rhoenen is working on updating the SH3 looking orders (the icons that show up above the officers (silent running, raise snorkel, lower snorkel, target waterline, etc.) to a more modern look to go with the SH5 new UI theme. He was the one who did the officers that I'm using currently :up:

Galanti
03-18-10, 07:06 PM
AOTD_Rhoenen is working on updating the SH3 looking orders (the icons that show up above the officers (silent running, raise snorkel, lower snorkel, target waterline, etc.) to a more modern look to go with the SH5 new UI theme. He was the one who did the officers that I'm using currently :up:

Why, I thought the idea was to get away from the modern theme?

bert8for3
03-18-10, 07:10 PM
Just amazing stuff. From sh3: "keep up the good work" :yeah:

reaper7
03-18-10, 07:15 PM
those will work great. Thanks. Where can I download them from??

On there way to you now. U-356 just left Kiel at flank.:arrgh!:

Ha ha... Also sent them by Email, may be quicker. :03:

DragonRR1
03-18-10, 07:35 PM
Why, I thought the idea was to get away from the modern theme?

I think the idea is to do both. A minimalist look as per stock SH5 and a more SH3/SH4 look. Personally function is more important than look and I quite like the clean SH5 look even if it isn't actually "authentic" ... not that WW2 subs had UIs anyway :)

@Darkwraith. I can't find it at the moment but someone here has already shown the heading "digital" slider set in a correctly styled background.

reaper7
03-18-10, 07:37 PM
Have been doing some mockups to decide if i'll start or not.
Anyway here's what i've got so far.
(Will update in this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=165377)

Not so mush the modern but the retro look: :D

First Concept old type Torpedo Depth Dial:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/reaper7_bucket/PHCC/Silent%20Hunter%205/TDC-Interface-Concept-Old.jpg

Second Concept new type Torpedo Depth Dial:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/reaper7_bucket/PHCC/Silent%20Hunter%205/TDC-Interface-Concept-New.jpg

kylania
03-18-10, 08:25 PM
That looks nice, but it's a ton of screenspace taken up (none left for TAI really). Also it's a lot of space between dials that really doesn't do much. It also seems to disregard the message window being maximized and the XO's interface as well. How are you identifying ships with this UI?

I'm really enjoying DarkWraith's minimial dials TDC as it is now. Anything more than that seems a bit cluttery. *shrug* Just my 2km. :)

Ducimus
03-18-10, 08:45 PM
Personally function is more important than look and I quite like the clean SH5 look even if it isn't actually "authentic" ... not that WW2 subs had UIs anyway :)

The other day i had this picture in my head of a WW2 sub captain wearing these massive steam punk goggles that put dials into his eyes everywhere he looked. :haha:

Anywho, i just want to reiterate something i said in another thread. The minimalist UI, is a push for more realism in and of itself, by trying to increase visual immersion. I liken it to taking the subtitles off a movie being played in your native language. Ever watch a movie in english with english subtitles? I find that VERY destracting.

So IMO the minimalist UI is borne out of a desire to see more of whats going on, and less of the UI. (subtitles) What it really is, it is a push for more immersion, just in a different way that fans of "old reliable" don't seem to understand.

Aside from that, its a boatload more accurate then the old UI from SH3/SH4! I'm doing some physics testing on the effects of drag on top speed of a submerged uboat that i could NOT do with the old UI. Im very grateful for the accuracy of the new UI right now.

TheDarkWraith
03-18-10, 08:46 PM
Have been doing some mockups to decide if i'll start or not.
Anyway here's what i've got so far.
(Will update in this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=165377)

Not so mush the modern but the retro look: :D

First Concept old type Torpedo Depth Dial:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/reaper7_bucket/PHCC/Silent%20Hunter%205/TDC-Interface-Concept-Old.jpg

Second Concept new type Torpedo Depth Dial:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/reaper7_bucket/PHCC/Silent%20Hunter%205/TDC-Interface-Concept-New.jpg

those are nice :up: And with a little scripting magic they can be made to slide.....that way they can 'hide' when not needed. Could put a lock button on them so that user can lock them hidden or lock them viewed. What about adding some torp door open switches? I can script them to control the torp doors (something I haven't gotten around to do yet - my plate is VERY full at the moment :cool:) I like the second one the best. What does the button do just left of the fire button? You have the depth under keel already displayed.

TheDarkWraith
03-18-10, 08:49 PM
just attached the emergency surface command to the new emergency surface icon on the depth bar I added. Works like a charm :yeah: Progress is going well :|\\ Next is to work on a rudder that the user can select the degrees like the throttle/speed bar.

Ducimus
03-18-10, 08:53 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=1440

I reiterate have to say that this was the slickest idea for a UI, ever. You've put back all missing functionality, and solved the "voice tube" issue all in one go.

Do you really need an orders bar at this point? It looks like you have it all right there as far as commands go. Its also very clean, neat, and professional looking. I'm in love with it. :rock:

gutted
03-18-10, 09:30 PM
@reaper

Maybe i just hate clutter... but i find this to be ALOT more appealing to my eyes IMO (the version im using):
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/882/scope.png

RickC Sniper
03-18-10, 09:49 PM
I reiterate have to say that this was the slickest idea for a UI, ever. You've put back all missing functionality, and solved the "voice tube" issue all in one go.

Do you really need an orders bar at this point? It looks like you have it all right there as far as commands go. Its also very clean, neat, and professional looking. I'm in love with it. :rock:

I agree 100% with this. The new interface is minimal, for me that means it is there but noticed only when you need it. This is the UI I would love to see in my game.

jmr
03-18-10, 11:51 PM
Gutted, is that your own custom UI?

TheDarkWraith
03-19-10, 12:33 AM

that would be my TDC minimal dials UI mod for SH5.

gutted
03-19-10, 12:34 AM

No it was one of the TDC versions darkwraith made. The "minimalist" one. I don't quite get the fascination with the full version. You dont need all those dials.. the new torpedo panel takes care of most of them and actually does it better with less screen realestate.

gutted
03-19-10, 12:39 AM
I'm thinking of editing that white border around the gyro dials. It jumps out at you just a tad too much (especially on a dark night).

I might edit the .dds to make it thinner & red like the other dials.

TheDarkWraith
03-19-10, 02:11 AM
I'm thinking of editing that white border around the gyro dials. It jumps out at you just a tad too much (especially on a dark night).

I might edit the .dds to make it thinner & red like the other dials.

I would go a grey color like the markings on some of the dials.

TheDarkWraith
03-19-10, 02:43 AM
I made the black background around the officers animated now. When you MouseIn to the officers area the black background pops up. When you MouseOut it hides. Makes the UI look cleaner plus it's pretty cool.
Reaper 7 provided the blowing ballast (Emergency surface) icon via a new .dds file. I added the command to the button and here I'm testing it out:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=1441

note that the new icon turns color to orange like the rest do when utilized (and note the message entry 'Blow Ballast' and the Navigator was kind enough to give me a weather report). I have it scripted that when you blow ballast you CAN NOT do any other dive maneuver until you reach the surface (you did ask for emergency surface ;)). Note also the black background missing around the officers. A much cleaner look.
Working on a rudder display that functions and looks like the speed/depth advanced HUD ones. When it's functional I'll need to call upon those more graphically inclined than I to make a new 'tape' for it. What rudder deflections are we going to use? 35-0-35 or 40-0-40 or ???
Now I'll describe the semantics as to how the officer icons work. You already know about MouseIn/MouseOut. Now when you click on an officer a bar will appear just above them that shows the categories the officer has control over (I call this the categories bar). Categories being things like propulsion, reports, etc. Now if you mouse out with a category bar visible it disappears with the background (scrolls vertically downward). When you mouse back into the officer area the previous category bar will be visible again.
When you click on a category another bar appears above the category that gives all the orders for that category. I call this the orders bar. When you click on an item in the orders bar that orders bar will disappear and the command will be executed. Some categories don't have commands - they are merely a static image (think engineers dials - battery, fuel, CO2, Compressed air). The image will remain on the screen until you click on any officer again. Let's say you click on a category and the orders bar appears on screen. But you made a mistake and didn't want to do that. No problem. Either click on another category to display that orders bar or click on an officer to make that orders bar disappear.
The design is simple and easy. See here http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1322499&postcount=29 for screenshot of officers, category bar, and orders bar.

gutted
03-19-10, 02:54 AM
ETA? :D

Hyfrydle
03-19-10, 03:39 AM
This is looking really good and with the full 3D sub the immersion should really increase the more of the fantastic visuals the less the UI are the way to go in my opinion.

Another thought is no UI at all just like a real captain. All data would be gathered from the dials onboard the sub and by asking the crew but this might be taking realism too far.

Really love what you guys are doing.

Coldcall
03-19-10, 04:04 AM
That interface is starting to look really good. I think Im starting to prefer the non dial version of UI over the old style.

Cant wait to try your mod out Darkwraith.

jwilliams
03-19-10, 04:08 AM
Thanks TheDarkWraith,
This is looking and sounding really good.
I'm looking forward to downloading this mod and testing it out.

Good work. :salute:

charognard
03-19-10, 04:29 AM
can t wait for your next UI release TheDarkWraith :)

Ragtag
03-19-10, 05:05 AM
This looks awesome. Great work :D

reaper7
03-19-10, 05:39 AM
That looks nice, but it's a ton of screenspace taken up (none left for TAI really). Also it's a lot of space between dials that really doesn't do much. It also seems to disregard the message window being maximized and the XO's interface as well. How are you identifying ships with this UI?

I'm really enjoying DarkWraith's minimial dials TDC as it is now. Anything more than that seems a bit cluttery. *shrug* Just my 2km. :)

those are nice :up: And with a little scripting magic they can be made to slide.....that way they can 'hide' when not needed. Could put a lock button on them so that user can lock them hidden or lock them viewed. What about adding some torp door open switches? I can script them to control the torp doors (something I haven't gotten around to do yet - my plate is VERY full at the moment :cool:) I like the second one the best. What does the button do just left of the fire button? You have the depth under keel already displayed.

Again these are just some concept artwork, and I will work on some other styles. I just don't like the floating dials look. Need something more solid, that way when I press a button or turn a dial it looks like its meant to be there doing something.:)
Yes sliding panels would be ideal, but my scripting skills are zilch, therefore I'm just able to offer graphics, maybe I'll try my had at learning some scripting later.

If you could tell me what you want on screen for:
A: A minimalistic UI version and
B: A Full on Dial candy version
I could do up some new mock ups, so try to cover and all tastes.:up:
Then we could see about implementing them, I could redo the graphics for whats required.

@reaper

Maybe i just hate clutter... but i find this to be ALOT more appealing to my eyes IMO (the version im using):
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/882/scope.png

A version could be done for this, just a matter of doing up some graphic to pull it all together into a more streamlined front end, so no more floating dials.
This can be done in the same styling as the stock UI. Hell its even possible to recreate new dial in a similar style. Just look at the up/down Torpedo depth dial vs the rotary version, other dials could be done in the same way. :|\\

DragonRR1
03-19-10, 05:55 AM
I'm a fan of a minimalist UI as I've mentioned however after initially thinking that the digital "slider dial" looks good there is a problem and in fact that problem extends to quite a number of the other dials.. basically anything which has a large number of values (bearing and so on). I want to be able to turn the boat to any degree by clicking the dial (and accurately) but with a sliding dial you can only click in stages.... Unfortunately I don't currently have any bright ideas of anything "modern" which would accommodate this other than a rather long (probably too long) slider.

reaper7
03-19-10, 06:18 AM
I'm a fan of a minimalist UI as I've mentioned however after initially thinking that the digital "slider dial" looks good there is a problem and in fact that problem extends to quite a number of the other dials.. basically anything which has a large number of values (bearing and so on). I want to be able to turn the boat to any degree by clicking the dial (and accurately) but with a sliding dial you can only click in stages.... Unfortunately I don't currently have any bright ideas of anything "modern" which would accommodate this other than a rather long (probably too long) slider.

Interesting point. Yes a long slider would not work in that situation, the dial method with its 360 degree revolution does make things easier. But the look of them at least could be changed to match the stock Ui in a minimal look UI.

Galanti
03-19-10, 06:36 AM
DarkWraith, will your final version include full customization to allow us traditionalist fossils to retain the dials?

I want to reiterate that I'm fully aware having dials floating in the captains face is not realistic, nor is having a floating tape for that matter. What I'm looking for is a UI that looks authentic, like it belongs in the 1940s.

I'm also fully aware the dials aren't as precise as the tape controls; again, I could care less. They're close enough, speed has never been an issue, and if I go to 186 meters when I meant 185 meters, I can live with that.

Ablemaster
03-19-10, 06:54 AM
Always liked the six feeling mod i used for SH3, kept the screen clear and was accurate big and out of the way. Although this is looking pretty good too and personally prefer less clutter.

U-Bones
03-19-10, 07:23 AM

I might be happier with this aesthetically if it stuck to the gutter, and was consistent height wise to the rest of the gutter items... instead of intruding vertically into the "game" as much as it does. The icons also seem inconsistently scaled.

Functionality and utter coolness is spot on however !!! :yeah:

( context is the officer and command icons )

DragonRR1
03-19-10, 07:28 AM
DarkWraith, will your final version include full customization to allow us traditionalist fossils to retain the dials?

I want to reiterate that I'm fully aware having dials floating in the captains face is not realistic, nor is having a floating tape for that matter. What I'm looking for is a UI that looks authentic, like it belongs in the 1940s.

I'm also fully aware the dials aren't as precise as the tape controls; again, I could care less. They're close enough, speed has never been an issue, and if I go to 186 meters when I meant 185 meters, I can live with that.

If you read my earlier post there is a problem with the sliders in any case and if anything a 360deg bearing slider would be actually much less accurate than a dial unless it was made overly long.

@reaper. Unless someone comes up with something better then the dial approach is the only one. However dials simply do not look modern even with a modern look they tend towards "retro" so maybe the correct approach is to actually go back to a WW2 authentic reskin of the whole interface? I can't help wondering if this might be why the devs didn't finish the interface off.

skwasjer
03-19-10, 07:32 AM
Just use CTRL like devs have to popup an alternative HUD. Use linear dials in normal mode, and press CTRL to open circular dials... In most situations, the linear dial/compas is good enough (wanting to see the current heading), for a course change, just pop out the circular dial and voila. Both camps happy!

PS: I might suggest, adding to the linear compass a needle overlay representing the rudder position...

If you want, I can help you with scripting new stuff.

reaper7
03-19-10, 07:35 AM
Just spottted these in the dials cfg. Anyont know if this is tied to the stadimeter range pulldown for setting range.
If so Could be the Log values (7.189;4.656) are the stadimeter setting for 1x and 4x zoom.
Then changing these may me helpful in getting the correct range values from the stadimeter.

[Dial58]
; will be changed by code
Name=TorpedoSolution_Mast_Height
Type=70; DIAL_TGT_MAST_HEIGHT_INTERNATIONAL
Cmd=Set_tgt_mast_height_international;
Dial=0x431A0002
CrtVal=0x431A0001
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=-90,98
RealVal=15,130; height
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
Logarithmic=7.189;4.656
;RelativeDrag=Yes
;SndStep=5
;SndList=1,Menu.TDC.AngleOnBow,360
;RelativeDrag=Yes

TheDarkWraith
03-19-10, 10:31 AM
Just use CTRL like devs have to popup an alternative HUD. Use linear dials in normal mode, and press CTRL to open circular dials... In most situations, the linear dial/compas is good enough (wanting to see the current heading), for a course change, just pop out the circular dial and voila. Both camps happy!

PS: I might suggest, adding to the linear compass a needle overlay representing the rudder position...

If you want, I can help you with scripting new stuff.

I've been pondering that very same idea. Having the linear tapes for normal HUD mode and when you press CTRL then they turn into dials for advanced HUD mode.

As far as the scripting goes I'll keep that in mind. I'm a C#, C++, C, and Assembly programmer with some experiece in Python and other scripting languages. I have been doing pretty well with the Iron Python so far. One thing I have noticed is that one can import the CLR and gain even more functionality (and possibilities!)

I've been pondering another idea also. The idea of letting the user input the speed, heading, depth, etc. that they want. It could be via an inputbox or putting some + and - buttons next to the digital readouts and a button that is an accept button thus making the new course, depth, speed, etc. what the user input.

kylania
03-19-10, 11:05 AM
Edit: I've been pondering that very same idea. Having the linear tapes for normal HUD mode and when you press CTRL then they turn into dials for advanced HUD mode. Teach me to take 40 minutes to type a post! Sounds like a good idea, but how would the transformation look? End Edit.

Working on a rudder display that functions and looks like the speed/depth advanced HUD ones. When it's functional I'll need to call upon those more graphically inclined than I to make a new 'tape' for it. What rudder deflections are we going to use? 35-0-35 or 40-0-40 or ???

I think I might be misunderstanding this, but if the rudder "tape" doesn't work like the rudder "dial" and allow you to simply click to get anything from 0 to 35/40 it won't really replace the 3 Dials mod. Or was the idea to just come up with the maximum value on the ribbon and be able to click anywhere on it?

There's also the visual feed back concern. Compare the two images here, ignoring numbers and everything and just looking at the relation to center of the orange line. The dial at least to me indicates more clearly that I'm turning 45ish degrees rather than the indicator line half way to right in the ribbon display.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9891/anglesd.jpg

Also, as clean as the new SH5 UI is, having to hold Ctrl then click on a very small tape are that doesn't even show everything at once is not as easy as hover and click on a full display dial. Ctrl and +5 button then click on small green ribbon around 120 is far more difficult than click below dial, click 120 for setting depth for example.

Totally separate other idea:
Would it be able to bring back the "6 buttons" that was left out of the SH5 interface (to the right of the speed ribbon) and make those user configurable? So like you could have Weather, Range At Speed, Depth to Keel, Return to Course, Periscope, Surface buttons (or whatever you wanted) available as single click options rather than a two stage process?

DragonRR1
03-19-10, 11:38 AM
It might be one of those things you just have to see but the idea of pop-up dials from a tape doesn't sound like it would look very elegant. I also agree with the previous post in that visual feedback is going to be pretty poor when the dial pops away.

I don't want to sound too negative but I still feel that going back to dials and a total reskin is the answer. It's your mod darkwraith and I greatly respect the work you've already done so ignore me if you wish! :)

Edit: I'd wondered about an input box myself but it sounds a wee bit fiddly.

TheDarkWraith
03-19-10, 11:47 AM
It might be one of those things you just have to see but the idea of pop-up dials from a tape doesn't sound like it would look very elegant. I also agree with the previous post in that visual feedback is going to be pretty poor when the dial pops away.

I don't want to sound too negative but I still feel that going back to dials and a total reskin is the answer. It's your mod darkwraith and I greatly respect the work you've already done so ignore me if you wish! :)

Edit: I'd wondered about an input box myself but it sounds a wee bit fiddly.

well the current heading indicator will be just that - a heading indicator. You won't assign headings from it. It will just tell you your current heading.
This debacle is a good one. Maybe this is why the devs left it 'as is'.
I think what I'll do is add an interface to the right of the heading bar that the user will use + and - arrows to set the desired heading. This way you can command a specific heading and you'll have the visual feedback of what heading you picked.
The rudder will be a tape like the speed/depth Advanced modes showing 40 to 0 to 40 degrees deflection.

DragonRR1
03-19-10, 03:34 PM
well the current heading indicator will be just that - a heading indicator. You won't assign headings from it. It will just tell you your current heading.
This debacle is a good one. Maybe this is why the devs left it 'as is'.
I think what I'll do is add an interface to the right of the heading bar that the user will use + and - arrows to set the desired heading. This way you can command a specific heading and you'll have the visual feedback of what heading you picked.
The rudder will be a tape like the speed/depth Advanced modes showing 40 to 0 to 40 degrees deflection.

Without trying to be awkward, just imo.... The problem with that idea is that it still looses some functionality. With a dial you can click any direction immediately and obviously be able to see where you've clicked and how long visually it will take to make the turn to at least some degree. In some situations you click a direction and then change your mind. Dial again works, data inputting and/or +/- buttons would be much slower.

I've been looking for some alternative for a digital/horizontal "dials" but even high spec car dasboards use lcd round dials.

kylania
03-19-10, 04:27 PM
The main thing you'd be missing out of with a digital heading is the 'nested compass' rose we have from SH3.

It's constantly valuable for me to be able to set a heading based on cardinal directions or related to a bearing from my sub as we can currently with the outside NSWE compass and the inside sub bearing compass. Or even being able to see at a glance that behind my left shoulder is West or something. Losing that functionality to conform to the new digital ribbon UI style would be a shame.

cothyso
03-20-10, 10:59 AM
adding a clock to the interface might be a very useful thing. like skwasjer's (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=165545) one..

I myself think that the minimalist interface is the way to go, as it adds more immersion to the game (same as with thief 3 for example).

dark, do you have any ETA for this? can you (lease please please), release at least an intermediate beta version of it? it will still be much better than current ones :(

TheDarkWraith
03-21-10, 05:50 PM
well i've been working hard, very hard. I had to add LOTS of scripting to get all my UIs merged into one, fix problems found in stock game, add new features/functions, etc. It's almost complete. To give you an idea of how much scripting is added, the stock Page layout.py file is 1.39kb. It's now at 60.9kb!
My solution to the heading/rudder thing I think can best be seen by some screenshots:

here's the screenshot when you first enter into the game (I expanded the TAI map on my own cause it starts out minimized. I stopped the periscope from rising automatically when you start the game also! I clicked on the Radio officer icon and then clicked on gramophone and the following orders are available):
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=1459

now if you click the heading bar just to the right of the stock UI speed bar you get this:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=1460

if you click the little button below the compass you get this:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=1461

click on the heading bar again and the compass/rudder goes away! The emergency surface icon added to the depth bar on the far left works also (right below the crash dive icon).

All the officers orders are scripted such that they have to meet conditions before they are enabled. Some require you to be underwater, some require you to be on the surface, some require you to have a contact locked, etc. In the screenshot above all the orders are available because the conditions are met. If some of the orders conditions were not met then it would not appear in the bar (it would have a blank space). An example of an order that would get a blank space: you're on the surface and you click on the CE. The orders that would normally pop up are Propulsion, Emergency maneuvers, and Reports. But since you're on the surface emergency maneuvers are not allowed (all emergency maneuvers require you to be underwater - game problem because it causes the sub to dive and you, the captain, can remain on the bridge - BUG!). I had to script the commands because of bugs with the game in order for them to work correctly. I'm sure that when I release this here soon you all WILL enjoy it. And yes, the gramophone works along with many other things.
One peculiar thing I haven't been able to get to work is Battlestations. I added an icon in the Watch officer's orders that is for battlestations. When you click on it the command is recognized by the game but nothing happens.....it is a delayed event so I don't know what causes the 'event' to fire. You all will have to tell me what triggers it when I release this.
I've combined all my UI mods into one. You determine what UI you want to use and what settings by modifying one file. Couldn't be any easier huh? :|\\

Now I'm just polishing up the loose ends. But there are a LOT of them. There's more features and all to add to this mod but I'll finish up this version so you all can get the basic functionality back into the game.

Barso
03-21-10, 06:08 PM
I don't know what to say!
Genius is all I can think of!

piri_reis
03-21-10, 06:13 PM
DW, we're so lucky to have you here.
This mod and the evolution of it is some lesson in modding, project management, development, documentation and everything :up:

Mav87th
03-21-10, 06:17 PM
Realy nice TDW, a little prayer....

Could you implement Skwasjers new digital clock ?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=165545

:arrgh!:

TheDarkWraith
03-21-10, 06:18 PM
Realy nice TDW, a little prayer....

Could you implement Skwasjers new digital clock ?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=165545

:arrgh!:

I sent him a PM about it. If he doesn't respond it was a feature I was going to add but it sat really low in the priority list. The priorities were getting basic functionality and commands back and then polish it up. So if he doesn't respond by the time I get to that item I'll add my own version.

ReallyDedPoet
03-21-10, 06:19 PM
Yeah, ditto, awesome work DW et al :up:

TheDarkWraith
03-21-10, 06:27 PM
well the menu.txt file has grown. Added many missing tooltips and thus need updated translations of the menu.txt file. Use winmerge to see changes. File available here: http://www.filefront.com/15896197/menu.txt/

skwasjer is good with adding his clock(s) to my UIs.

Txema
03-21-10, 06:28 PM
Excellent work TheDarkWraith !!!!

Thank you !!!!

:DL

Txema

Reaves
03-21-10, 07:04 PM
Much appreciated. This mod is a must have.

DragonRR1
03-21-10, 07:26 PM
Looks bloody awesome darkwraith, I like the heading dial integration, very nice.

Suggestion: The sliding heading indicator. It would perhaps look better with the grey surround. I saw someone else stick it on it somewhere in the mod, might have been gutted because he does a similar thing here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1314268&postcount=7

I also like what he did with the "minimise" button....

Heretic
03-21-10, 07:40 PM
One peculiar thing I haven't been able to get to work is Battlestations. I added an icon in the Watch officer's orders that is for battlestations. When you click on it the command is recognized by the game but nothing happens.....it is a delayed event so I don't know what causes the 'event' to fire.

In my crew scripting tests, I've noticed that Wp:IsCrewState(B_STATIONS) never returns true, regardless of battle stations being selected or not. That might be related to what you're seeing. I could be a bug or have something to do with battle stations getting changed to an 'ability'. It also won't trigger its appropriate command script.

TheDarkWraith
03-21-10, 10:50 PM
Suggestion: The sliding heading indicator. It would perhaps look better with the grey surround

how's this? The colors are off for the clock and heading (the background) but just going for layout currently:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=1475

clock doesn't work yet. Took a look at skwasjer's and decided to make my own. It's going to give military time and behave like the speed and depth indicators do (digit wise).

kylania
03-21-10, 11:54 PM
Personally I prefer the three dials UI, perhaps with the integration of the officer bar. Single click access and in a handy spot.

If I understand the current setup to say, turn 10 degrees rudder to starboard I need to mouse over to the lower/middle and click on a small band, then mouse up and over and click on an even smaller button, then mouse up and click on the rudder. With 3 dials it's either click 10 degrees or click down and click 10 degrees. Doing so will also cover up my TAI when there's plenty of screen real estate available elsewhere. 3-4 steps for a 1 step process seems flank. :)

I think Skawsjer's clock is pretty awesome. It's a natural extension of the Time Compression section. It's unobtrusive, it's up in the general area where all "time related" things happen, it's 24 hour display with a Date+AM/PM tooltip, and it's just a few lines of code. It fits well with the "feel" of the upper right UI elements. At least from that screenshot, the new clock idea seems out of place down between heading and speed and pushes the heading strip even further away from the compass popup. Most of the times I'm worried about time is when I'm dropping out of TC.

Is there a popup for setting depth? Or does this use the default 2-3 clicks + hold-a-button method of stock SH5 for what 3 dials does in a single click, 2 at most?

I'm also finding trouble with Depth being a digits in the middle side of the screen, speed being digits in the lower side of the screen then heading being a ribbon in the bottom middle. With 3 dials all are numbers and all are next to each other. Way easy to read, this current method looks like you're gonna have to scan 1/4 of the screen and read two formats for information that could be available at a glance. Also the heading ribbon is reminisant of the periscope and optionally binoculars readout, but it's at the bottom instead of the top of the screen, another information mismatch.

Also is missing the Fuel/Batteries/CO2/O2 readouts of 3Dials. I'm sure it's available via the new officer button bars, but that will be another piece of vital information buried 2-3 clicks deep instead of immediately evident or at most a click away.

You've done amazing work with all your UI mods, and I for one am endlessly appreciative of it. I know you're going for the sleek look of the new SH5 UI but from a usability and information access standpoint I'm just not excited about this direction I'm afraid.

gutted
03-22-10, 01:07 AM
@DW:

Shouldn't the heading dial "popout" be centered above the heading tape?

gutted
03-22-10, 01:23 AM
If I understand the current setup to say, turn 10 degrees rudder to starboard I need to mouse over to the lower/middle and click on a small bandIf you need it frequently in a situation.. just leave it on and it will function the way it always does. 90% of the time, i have no need for this dial because im either navigating to a waypoint.. or turning to precise heading via the heading to view key. Thats the main reason i dont use the 3 dial version of the UI.. im stuck with those dials on my UI that i rarely ever use.

I like the idea of being able to hide it when i dont need it.

Is there a popup for setting depth? Or does this use the default 2-3 clicks + hold-a-button method of stock SH5 for what 3 dials does in a single click, 2 at most?Dude the new depth gauge is alot more accurate than the old dial version. Initially i hated it, but now i love it. I can go to decks awash in one accurate click. I always had to click atleast twice on the dial to get the crew to go to the correct depth. For the new one.. dont put your mouse near the pointer on the left.. leave it in the tape area and look at the tooltip as you move the mouse around.

Pandion
03-22-10, 04:43 AM
Another one looking forward to this mod, DW I :salute: you

Medzell
03-22-10, 06:17 AM
I have to admit this "concept" is coming along beautifully. What's that old chestnut about not pleasing all of the people all of the time?

Anyway............just a thought..........There's a slide-out compass, depth, speed threesome going back to the MaGUI for SH3 which might be food for thought. It allows big gauges to work with when you need them and slips them conveniently well out of the way when you don't..

I'm NOT saying the work done so far isn't fantastic. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm looking forward to trying out the whole package ASAP.

A "clean" screen is great and the Devs' actually got that right in SH5. Unfortunately, as we all know, they failed badly in the understanding that there are some things you just have to make available and big enough to USE from time to time if you consider this a SIM rather than a VIDEO GAME.

Minimalist? Yes please! Ability to pop up or slide out tools as you require them and have them hidden away when not required? Oh, yes please!!!!!

Ragtag
03-22-10, 07:01 AM
I have to admit this "concept" is coming along beautifully. What's that old chestnut about not pleasing all of the people all of the time?

Anyway............just a thought..........There's a slide-out compass, depth, speed threesome going back to the MaGUI for SH3 which might be food for thought. It allows big gauges to work with when you need them and slips them conveniently well out of the way when you don't..

I'm NOT saying the work done so far isn't fantastic. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm looking forward to trying out the whole package ASAP.

A "clean" screen is great and the Devs' actually got that right in SH5. Unfortunately, as we all know, they failed badly in the understanding that there are some things you just have to make available and big enough to USE from time to time if you consider this a SIM rather than a VIDEO GAME.

Minimalist? Yes please! Ability to pop up or slide out tools as you require them and have them hidden away when not required? Oh, yes please!!!!!

totally agree :)

Txema
03-22-10, 07:09 AM
@DW:

I do agree with gutted... IMHO it would be better that way.

In general I don't agree with the last post by kylania, but I think he is right in the suggestions about the clock: IMHO it fits better in the "time related things" area.

Txema

TheDarkWraith
03-22-10, 09:22 AM
@DW:

I thought it looked awkward sitting right above the heading tape. What if you need to leave it on for extended periods of time? I'll place it above the heading tape if that's where you all want it but it doesn't look right.
As far as the dial goes: if you set it to rudder mode and then hide it and then ask for it again it will still be in rudder mode. It will stay in the mode you set it to when you hide it.
Now I could make the dial slideout from the bottom. From the heading tape you could mouse down to the bottom of the screen and the new dial could slide out. Is that better than having to click on the heading tape? I figured the click on heading tape because that was it was 'locked' on. By having it slide in any direction, as soon as you mouse out of the dial it slides back hidden. If you need to see it for extended periods of time or you need to see it while doing something else then it won't work - it will slide away hidden.
While the stock SH5 UI is slick and minimalistic, it's very hard to work with (adding new item wise). The 3 dials suits people who want that kind of interface (ala SH3/4). The new SH5 interface suits people that like the slick and minimalistic view it provides. I'm trying to cater to all.
Sounds like my clock idea was torpedoed. I'll incorporate skwasjers then. I'll adjust items in the top part (warnings, icons, etc.) so that they don't interfere with it.

kylania
03-22-10, 09:45 AM
From some of these comments I think I'll need to play with the new UI to fully appreciate it. Txema, it's cool that you don't agree but could you say why or how? Gutted explained why the new depth setting is better for example. Simply saying "that's wrong" isn't as useful as "that's wrong, this is why!" :) I understand that people like this new UI, and I did at first too, but the apparent lacking of easy access that the 3 dials gives is my main problem with it.

I thought it looked awkward sitting right above the heading tape. What if you need to leave it on for extended periods of time?

As for the rudder DarkWraith, you're right that having it slide out of view wouldn't be as useful, but it's current placement is right over the TAI isn't it? I use the compass rose constantly (so I can at-a-click travel say north or directly to 270 from my boat quickly) so it would be visible much of time during combat, when I use the TAI as well.

I guess I just need to try a patrol with this new setup and see how it flows. :)

TheDarkWraith
03-22-10, 10:30 AM
I understand that people like this new UI, and I did at first too, but the apparent lacking of easy access that the 3 dials gives is my main problem with it.

you do realize that you can keep the 3 dials if you like. This new UI is part of a package of UIs that will be available as one mod. You change settings in one file to denote what UI style you want (SH3 style - 3 dials, SH4 style - 3 dials and SH4 command bar, or SH5 style) and what options you want to use/not use (lock/break, player guidance,etc.).

Therion_Prime
03-22-10, 10:31 AM
Just an idea:

How about getting rid of the top right HUD element completely?
One could access the crew page in the dialogue of the bosun, the torpedo screen in the dialogue of the torpedo mate and the sub status screen with the LI.

The TC display and clock could be made very small and without background (just text on screen) in the corner.

Seriously, who uses the TC and pause button by clicking on them with the mouse and does not use keyboard shortcuts?

TheDarkWraith
03-22-10, 10:38 AM
Just an idea:

How about getting rid of the top right HUD element completely?
One could access the crew page in the dialogue of the bosun, the torpedo screen in the dialogue of the torpedo mate and the sub status screen with the LI.

The TC display and clock could be made very small and without background (just text on screen) in the corner.

Seriously, who uses the TC and pause button by clicking on them with the mouse and does not use keyboard shortcuts?

I hear ya. I've thought about this also. With my new officer icons you can access the nav map, crew page, torpedo page, CO2 - Fuel - O2 - Compressed air page, all the vital information through them. Instead of pressing the big red X that appears when you go to another station I use the escape key. I'll give this more thought.

sergei
03-22-10, 10:41 AM
The ONLY thing I use from the panel on the top right is the travel mode button, for getting in and out or harbours etc.
That little button could be put just about anywhere I guess.
Or I could probably map it to a key command if necessary.
IMO nothing else from that panel is necessary.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the little display that tells you what TC you are at. That's useful too. I forgot about that :DL

Therion_Prime
03-22-10, 10:43 AM
I hear ya. I've thought about this also. With my new officer icons you can access the nav map, crew page, torpedo page, CO2 - Fuel - O2 - Compressed air page, all the vital information through them. Instead of pressing the big red X that appears when you go to another station I use the escape key. I'll give this more thought.

Thinking over it again, the travel mode is pretty nice to have at times.
But I bet it could be acessed from somewhere else.

btw. great work Wraith! :yeah:

Edit: LOL, sergei beat me to it!

Ragtag
03-22-10, 10:51 AM
i actually like the look of it as it is now. Personally i'd like to keep the time/tc section in the upper corner. I use the mouse quite alot using the icons there.

cothyso
03-22-10, 10:56 AM
DarkWraith, I've written some code to have the TAI map behave even better:
- TAB switches between the medium/maximized TAI map only (and if pressed while minimized, it will maximize it)
- SHIFT TAB switches it between minimized/medium TAI map only (and if pressed while maximized, it will minimize it)

I'll pass you the code if you want it.

TheDarkWraith
03-22-10, 11:06 AM
- TAB switches between the medium/maximized TAI map only (and if pressed while minimized, it will maximize it)
- SHIFT TAB switches it between minimized/medium TAI map only (and if pressed while maximized, it will minimize it)

sure. Pass along and I'll look at it.

gutted
03-22-10, 01:09 PM

I do every now and then. Sometimes the game refuses to respond to keyboard in high TC. But mouse+clicking the TC buttons nearly always works on the first click. I've made it a habit that when going long distances at high TC speed.... i have the mouse already up there hovering over the 1x button. That way if it starts to chug and the keyboard wont respond.. i can just click the mouse and drop out on command.

Kinda funky if you ask me. They keyboard wont respond during lags (.ie convoy nearby), but a mouse click will.

Go figure.

gutted
03-22-10, 01:11 PM

Haha.. i already did that a few days after release. Uses the same keys, but behviour is slightly different. It was a five minute hack job, but it works.

Less annoying TAI map:

I'm sure whatever way DW uses for the TAI behavior, im going to modify it to my liking.

TheDarkWraith
03-22-10, 01:18 PM
Haha.. i already did that a few days after release. Uses the same keys, but behviour is slightly different.

Less annoying TAI map:

I'm sure whatever way DW uses for the TAI behavior, im going to modify it to my liking.

I changed the behavior quite a bit. It's intelligent now so it knows when to minimize and when to restore itself back to it's previous state. The map tools sidebar is the same way. If you tell it to stay minimized, it's intelligent now to stay minimized when called for. I also gave the map tools a toggle pushbutton so you can toggle it minimized/maximized.

Therion_Prime
03-22-10, 01:24 PM
This may be not in the scope of this mod, but would it be possible to disable certain commands if the corresponding officer is wounded?

cothyso
Haha.. i already did that a few days after release. Uses the same keys, but behviour is slightly different. It was a five minute hack job, but it works.

Less annoying TAI map:

I know, that's exactly what I've did: modified your code to my liking, as your code would use TAB to switch from minimized to medium only, and SHIFT TAB from minimized to maximized. This isn't the common usage of TAI states: usually i'm travelling with it minimized and only switch to medium now and then; while swithing heavly between medium and maximized while finding a contact/getting into position/plotting a torpedo solution.

That's why the behaviour I've implemented for the TAI is better than yours.

TopCat
In my crew scripting tests, I've noticed that Wp:IsCrewState(B_STATIONS) never returns true, regardless of battle stations being selected or not. That might be related to what you're seeing. I could be a bug or have something to do with battle stations getting changed to an 'ability'. It also won't trigger its appropriate command script.

Well, have you ever tried sending crew to battle stations in stock game? I did and nothing happened. Deck guns and flak were not manned and when I walked through my boat, the guys were gently lying in their berths as they did before. No one's alert and no one runs through the compartments, no alarm sound, nothing ... :shifty:

gutted
03-22-10, 01:26 PM
I changed the behavior quite a bit. It's intelligent now so it knows when to minimize and when to restore itself back to it's previous state. The map tools sidebar is the same way. If you tell it to stay minimized, it's intelligent now to stay minimized when called for. I also gave the map tools a toggle pushbutton so you can toggle it minimized/maximized.

I meant mostly the hotkey functions i used for the TAI map.

gutted
03-22-10, 01:37 PM
I know, that's exactly what I've did: modified your code to my liking, as your code would use TAB to switch from minimized to medium only, and SHIFT TAB from minimized to maximized. This isn't the common usage of TAI states: usually i'm travelling with it minimized and only switch to medium now and then; while swithing heavly between medium and maximized while finding a contact/getting into position/plotting a torpedo solution.

That's why the behaviour I've implemented for the TAI is better than yours.

"Better" is very subjective. My needs are obviously different than yours.

I rarely maximize mine. But then again, I dont play with map contacts on, so there's nothing to see that far out there anyway. I also dont do much plotting either, most of my attacks are done visually with an intercept wheel. I may plot two points just to double check what im seeing on the wheel, & then maybe to see where along the target's course line i plotted that my scope is at.. but thats about it.

Like i said, no matter what DW does, im going to hack it so the keys work the way i need them to work.

DragonRR1
03-22-10, 01:39 PM
A quick question. Are you able to detect mouse wheel over, say the heading tape? If you are and the mouse wheel is useable it would be very quick to be able to use the wheel to select coarse heading and then a click for finer adjustments..

TheDarkWraith
03-22-10, 01:43 PM
A quick question. Are you able to detect mouse wheel over, say the heading tape? If you are and the mouse wheel is useable it would be very quick to be able to use the wheel to select coarse heading and then a click for finer adjustments..

that is an excellent suggestion. I will have to try that out now.....:up:

TopCat
03-22-10, 01:45 PM
I have just one silly question: When? :woot:
Can't wait for this cool thing any longer!

gutted
03-22-10, 01:51 PM
that is an excellent suggestion. I will have to try that out now.....:up:

Yeah that sounds cool.

Just wondering how usefual that would be though. For me, i think using the mousewheel over the heading tape to get a "fine" heading change would be better. There's already three other ways to do a "coarse" heading change.

2 deegress off from what you intended? No problem.. just put mouse down there and mousewheel up or down two clicks.

TheDarkWraith
03-22-10, 01:59 PM
Since you all torpedoed my idea for the analog clock I added skwasjer's digital clock and integrated the heading bar into the speed bar:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=1477

the red icon (on the far right) is the battlestations icon of the Watch officer's order categories.

Checked the script manager and there's nothing available for Mouse wheel movement :down: Not saying that the clr can be used to implement it though :03: But that will come at another release time for this.

Gotta say that since I've added skwasjer's digital clock I do like it :yeah:

Now what could be possible to do is this:

you mouse into the heading bar. You use the left mouse button and right mouse buttons to select heading (one is + and the other is -)..........oh, I might be onto something here......

checked scriptmanager and only left mouse button is available. No problem, just have to use two keys then.

here's what I'm going to try:

you mouse in: it shows you your current heading via tooltip
you use ',' and '.' to change desired heading. Tooltip gets updated with desired heading (keys can change later)
you mouse out: new desired heading takes effect

Barso
03-22-10, 02:25 PM
No offense DW but WHEN WILL THIS BE READY?
I absolutely love it!!!!
It looks fantastic and if the devs are reading this tread, I am sure they are thinking WHY DIDNT WE DO THIS?
The modders are really turning this game around.
I can really see this game having a future as long as ubi fix it with the right patches.

AVGWarhawk
03-22-10, 02:26 PM
Looks great sir! :up:

kylania
03-22-10, 02:45 PM
pretty picture

The speed heading looks a lot nicer integrated like that now. What's the gold dot button there do?

TheDarkWraith
03-22-10, 02:47 PM
The speed heading looks a lot nicer integrated like that now. What's the gold dot button there do?

same as before. Toggles advanced hud on/off. Should I place it differently?

kylania
03-22-10, 02:49 PM
same as before. Toggles advanced hud on/off. Should I place it differently?

Ooh, it's been so long since I used default I forgot about that! :) Nah, looks good there.

mr chris
03-22-10, 02:56 PM
Looking very good indeed.

DragonRR1
03-22-10, 03:26 PM
Checked the script manager and there's nothing available for Mouse wheel movement :down: Not saying that the clr can be used to implement it though :03: But that will come at another release time for this.

I've had a look through the scripts and I can only find reference to the mouse wheel being used in two files:
Hydrophone.py
SurfaceSearchRadar.py

Obviously the mousewheel works in other areas but there appears to be no reference to it. What, exactly, this actually means.. well my scripting skills have remained unused for far to long and my modding knowledge of the Silent Hunter series is non-existant!

Nice graphic integration of the heading tape DW!

TheDarkWraith
03-22-10, 03:53 PM
okay found another solution. The tooltip was missing from the heading bar anyways so I needed to fix that:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=1478

now when you mouse over the heading bar and you press the 'Q' key you increase the desired heading by:

advanced hud off: 5 degrees
advanced hud on: 1 degree

you press the 'E' key you decrease the desired heading by:

advanced hud off: 5 degrees
advanced hud on: 1 degree

You can keep the key pressed and desired heading will increase/decrease.

when you mouse out of the heading bar the new heading takes effect.
I left the heading bar clickable so that you can also call up the dial if you prefer to use the dial.

here's a screenshot showing desired heading:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=1479

Ducimus
03-22-10, 04:10 PM
That is slick! :salute:

scrapser
03-22-10, 04:20 PM
Just curious...for those of us who have a widescreen monitor it seems like the scope could be centered with plenty of room on each side for controls. Does it look like this would be possible as a mod?

TheDarkWraith
03-22-10, 04:22 PM
Just curious...for those of us who have a widescreen monitor it seems like the scope could be centered with plenty of room on each side for controls. Does it look like this would be possible as a mod?

it's already been done.

EgoApocalypse
03-22-10, 04:28 PM
Darkwraith..........

A dark wizard at work.

Looks great and hope it all goes well for ya, Looking forward to this.

TheDarkWraith
03-22-10, 04:54 PM
Details. I'm all about details. Had to expand the heading bar being used to set course. Let's say you're on course 216 and use the heading bar to set course to 70. You mouse out of the heading bar and the new course takes effect. You mouse back into the heading bar and you'll see this:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=1481

I have it maintain your desired course between course changes. In this example I'm turning to course 70 and am currently at 100. If I were to choose a new course now, the desired course will start where I selected the desired course presently turning to (which was 70). So a press of Q will result in 75 (or 71 if AdvancedHud is on) and a press of E will result in 65 (or 69 if AdvancedHud is on). Pretty cool :|\\
Once you are within 5 degrees of your desired course the desired course is reset (it becomes whatever the current sub's heading is during the update cycle).

The Q and E keys can be pressed simultaneously with the ctrl key (Advanced HUD key). This way you don't have to push the pushbutton on the UI to switch to Advanced HUD mode if you want to make fine course adjustments. Ordering up a new course does just that - a new course. The game doesn't try and turn the engines on if they aren't :DL That means if you're at all stop and you order up a new course it's going to be a long time before you reach that new course.

Locked out the new dial from causing any conflicts with the heading bar. You can order a new heading via dial and the heading bar's tooltip will show the current heading when you moused into it (Desired course = current sub heading at all times when using the dial to set course). You can override the dial's new course by setting a new course via the heading bar and vice versa.

ironkross
03-22-10, 08:15 PM
Is it ready to download yet? Do you need a tester?

TheDarkWraith
03-22-10, 08:20 PM
Is it ready to download yet? Do you need a tester?

SH5 version of UI mods combined should be ready here very soon. As it's the base for all the other UIs, it has to be released first and bugs worked out (if any).

ironkross
03-22-10, 08:28 PM
Thanks, I'll stay tuned. :)

gutted
03-22-10, 09:23 PM
I have Q & E mapped as rudder hard to starboard/port.

would that conflict? If so no biggie.. i'll just change the keys used in the script.

TheDarkWraith
03-22-10, 09:56 PM
I have Q & E mapped as rudder hard to starboard/port.

would that conflict? If so no biggie.. i'll just change the keys used in the script.

the keys can be changed by editing the file that my UIs use as options. Really easy to do :DL

ShadowWolf Kell
03-22-10, 11:11 PM
SH5 version of UI mods combined should be ready here very soon. As it's the base for all the other UIs, it has to be released first and bugs worked out (if any).

Been watching this thread and waiting. :DL

Mav87th
03-23-10, 01:17 AM
This may be not in the scope of this mod, but would it be possible to disable certain commands if the corresponding officer is wounded?

eehhm that's the stock problem with the 3d officers - they walk around in the boat but refuse to pass your order of "silent running" because of a bruised knee.......:o

(witnesess might say i threw him overboard, but i swear that he fell off the deck by him self)

NEXT!:arrgh!:

TheDarkWraith
03-23-10, 01:26 AM

I haven't dove into the AI yet but it should be possible (it's definitely possible on my end). Just have to see what is 'available' to me from the AI. If I can read a value that denotes health or something like that then sure it can be done. It is something I will look into when this version is complete.

bigboywooly
03-23-10, 02:13 AM
I haven't dove into the AI yet but it should be possible (it's definitely possible on my end). Just have to see what is 'available' to me from the AI. If I can read a value that denotes health or something like that then sure it can be done. It is something I will look into when this version is complete.

If my boat takes damage from gunfire etc then some of my crew show as injured when I ask them to do something and those options are unavailable to me - red text " injured " appears before the moral indicator

skwasjer
03-23-10, 05:34 AM
Gotta say that since I've added skwasjer's digital clock I do like it :yeah:
:03:
This position works best, glad you decided to keep it there because otherwise I would have had to make a mod that puts it right back there :D

Keep up the good work :yeah:

Galanti
03-23-10, 06:41 AM
Soooo....the dials are gone for good, I take it?

DragonRR1
03-23-10, 07:03 AM
I've had a look through the scripts and I can only find reference to the mouse wheel being used in two files:
Hydrophone.py
SurfaceSearchRadar.py

Obviously the mousewheel works in other areas but there appears to be no reference to it. What, exactly, this actually means.. well my scripting skills have remained unused for far to long and my modding knowledge of the Silent Hunter series is non-existant!

I know this wasn't super helpful DW but does it provide no clue at all of how to get the mouse wheel working with the heading tape etc..?

TheDarkWraith
03-23-10, 07:05 AM
I know this wasn't super helpful DW but does it provide no clue at all of how to get the mouse wheel working with the heading tape etc..?

but actually you comment WAS super helpful. While I couldn't use the mouse wheel I did do something else.....see here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1328837&postcount=139

DragonRR1
03-23-10, 08:35 AM
but actually you comment WAS super helpful. While I couldn't use the mouse wheel I did do something else.....see here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1328837&postcount=139

Well.. ummm.. good I'll take your word for it. :)

I read that post (by you) a few times and am somewhat confused about how it will work in practice!

Regardless, the new minimal UI is looking better everyday and look forward to trying it.

It's a shame about the mouse wheel though it could have been used on the speed "tape", the depth, the periscope height and so on.

TheDarkWraith
03-23-10, 08:46 AM
Well.. ummm.. good I'll take your word for it. :)

I read that post (by you) a few times and am somewhat confused about how it will work in practice!

Regardless, the new minimal UI is looking better everyday and look forward to trying it.

It's a shame about the mouse wheel though it could have been used on the speed "tape", the depth, the periscope height and so on.

I'm not totally ruling it out as I haven't even tried using the clr for it. I'll try that on the next version. I'm getting what we call 'feature creep' in the programming world going on and I need to stop and settle on this first version for release. New features can come on next version.

gutted
03-23-10, 10:08 AM
Ahh yes, the dreaded feature creep. I know it all too well.

When i first started out the solution solver, it had humble beginnings (a simple software AOB wheel). But as i started piling on things i never intended it to do (3D periscope, lead angle solver etc. etc.) i started having to break things and hacking in stuff and the final code of 1.3.3 started to look like a mess because of it.

sergei
03-23-10, 01:37 PM
Just a little heads up DarkWraith.

Looks like patch 1.2 is going to be making a few changes that may alter the UI.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=165942

Including a compass and rudder.
Thought you should know.

Michal788
03-23-10, 01:51 PM

Thought you should know.

That is something to consideration.

skwasjer
03-23-10, 04:10 PM
I'm not totally ruling it out as I haven't even tried using the clr for it. I'll try that on the next version.
NativeWindow... :hmmm: Very easy to do.

DragonRR1
03-23-10, 04:46 PM
NativeWindow... :hmmm: Very easy to do.

Are you saying that the mousewheel can be accessed in the script?

TheDarkWraith
03-23-10, 08:14 PM

Thought you should know.

I find it a little ironic how they are including those after I released a UI mod with them that was hugely popular :hmmm:

U-Bones
03-23-10, 08:33 PM
I find it a little ironic how they are including those after I released a UI mod with them that was hugely popular :hmmm:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :yep:

kylania
03-23-10, 09:09 PM

They were pretty obviously missing. :03: It'll be interesting to see how they approach it compared to the system you've come up with with your new UI.

TheDarkWraith
03-23-10, 10:03 PM
They were pretty obviously missing. :03: It'll be interesting to see how they approach it compared to the system you've come up with with your new UI.

yes I'm very interested to see what they come up with.

Last hurdle holding up this release of the 'enhanced' SH5 stock UI is this:

user can use heading bar to set new heading - no problem.
user can also use dial to set new heading - problem. The problem is when you mouse over the heading bar the ordered course is displayed wrong after you set a heading via the dial. Also then if you try to use the heading bar to set a new heading it's completely fubar from what it should be. I just figured out what was going on and now just have to fix it (I was giving command via absolute headings and the dial gives headings via +- offsets from current heading).

kylania
03-23-10, 10:32 PM
I just figured out what was going on and now just have to fix it (I was giving command via absolute headings and the dial gives headings via +- offsets from current heading).

Great, so release in say, 5 minutes? :D You can do eeett!!

gutted
03-23-10, 10:37 PM
Great, so release in say, 5 minutes? :D You can do eeett!!

that would be sweet.

Considering that jerk in the main forum getting my hopes up with the "patch out" thread... i need something to lift my spirits.

I've not played in 2 days.

jmr
03-24-10, 12:48 AM
Oh, that guy. Yes, I hate it when people start threads with misleading titles intentionally or not.

sentenc3
03-24-10, 03:52 AM
Thanks for your work .... impatience is a fault ... can say more or less ready in time will work .... thanks .... sorry my English is google

Medzell
03-24-10, 05:09 AM
For goodness' sake DON'T release it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're a perfectionist, DW, and we all know you'd never release something you weren't 100% happy with so don't be tempted to jump the gun.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........................there's always........errrrrrrrrrr............something that needs a final tweak before release so..........errrrrrrrrrr.........take your time.

Errrrrrrrr..........did I mention earlier I've fried my graphics card and won't get a replacement till tomorrow?

So, I guess Friday or later works for me! :haha:

TheDarkWraith
03-24-10, 09:29 AM
For goodness' sake DON'T release it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're a perfectionist, DW, and we all know you'd never release something you weren't 100% happy with so don't be tempted to jump the gun.

yes I am a perfectionist....was it that easy to pick up on? :06:

If I don't release this first version of the enhanced stock UI then feature creep will keep setting in and I'll never release one. What I have now gives back basic functionality but also fixes errors and gives some new bells and whistles. In another words it's a great base to start from for future revisions.

gutted
03-24-10, 09:34 AM
When?

I need a reason to play. Either a new patch or a new UI... whichever comes first.

TheDarkWraith
03-24-10, 09:35 AM
When?

I need a reason to play. Either a new patch or a new UI... whichever comes first.

hopefully today. I'm rewriting the necessary functions now for the problem I found.

Ragtag
03-24-10, 09:42 AM
hopefully today. I'm rewriting the necessary functions now for the problem I found.

Oooh, i can't wait :D

skwasjer
03-24-10, 09:42 AM
Are you saying that the mousewheel can be accessed in the script?
Uhm, yes... Wasn't that clear? :hmmm:
:O:

Galanti
03-24-10, 10:14 AM

Hate to be a bother, but we still have the option of enabling the dials versus the tape? Everything else looks fantastic, I loved the old SH3 system of associating officer icons with their respective functions.

kylania
03-24-10, 10:37 AM
Hate to be a bother, but we still have the option of enabling the dials versus the tape? Everything else looks fantastic, I loved the old SH3 system of associating officer icons with their respective functions.

As I understand it, the dials will be an option again eventually, but first he's releasing the "SH5 version" of the UI as a base, then will build upon it again.

TheDarkWraith
03-24-10, 10:40 AM
As I understand it, the dials will be an option again eventually, but first he's releasing the "SH5 version" of the UI as a base, then will build upon it again.

I still gave you all the heading/rudder dial in the SH5 version. If you click on the heading bar it will make the heading/rudder dial appear. You can use either one (heading bar or heading/rudder) to set course.
Now if you're talking about the 3 dials, yes, they will still be available as a UI option.
Currently there are 3 UI options - SH3 style (3 dials), SH4 style (3 dials with SH4 command bar across bottom), and SH5 enhanced. Only SH5 enhanced is operational - I have the necessay code laid in the files but not setup for SH3/4.

Coldcall
03-24-10, 11:17 AM
YAY! Cannot wait, the UI looks excellent. Good job on the digital clock in the top right hand, as thats the best place for it, makes sense logically with the TC, pause etc...

TheDarkWraith
03-24-10, 01:41 PM
the 'bug' has been fixed :D But minor bug of heading tooltip not resetting remains. It's a logical expression that evaluates what to display so I just have to fix it now.

Ragtag
03-24-10, 06:12 PM
No release today then?

TheBeast
03-24-10, 07:44 PM
I really like the concept of associating ship function with the officer icons.

Will we be able to interract with the icons as well or will we still have to run back and forth through the boat to talk to these guys?:06: I mean, "really!", after all, I am the Skipper. If I want to talk to anyone on "MY BOAT"(Non Combat) I would just get on the internal comm and have them report to me.:yep: The new interiors are cool and all but it gets old real fast running from bow to stern all the time.:hmmm:

The New UI looks sweet and I know we all truely appreciate your efforts.:rock:

So when does the birthday party start?:woot:

-TheBeast

Able72
03-24-10, 09:36 PM
Amen, I gotta get this when it goes out. This will solve my biggest gripe with the game, having to run from one end of the boat to the other to issue orders. Who knows, it may make the game playable for a change.

Thanks a ton Darkwraith for this.

TheDarkWraith
03-24-10, 09:57 PM
doing final testing now (for the intitial release of the combined UIs). Should be releasing here VERY soon (like 1-2 hours max). The party's about ready to start.....:D

ReallyDedPoet
03-24-10, 10:13 PM
Nice, perhaps I'll stay up bit later tonight to give this a rip :DL

Able72
03-24-10, 10:57 PM
OMG!!!! I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!

"AAAOOOOOGGGAAAA AAAAAAOOOOOOGGGGAAAAA"

"Man your battlestations, lets give tommie hell."

TheDarkWraith
03-24-10, 11:03 PM
found a bug I had to correct. It'll be just a little bit more :oops:

kylania
03-24-10, 11:08 PM
found a bug I had to correct. It'll be just a little bit more :oops:

You're letting a bug stop deployment?! Did a bug ever stop Ubisoft from releasing a product!? :03:

Able72
03-24-10, 11:14 PM
We should lead by example. Hopefully Ubi will get the hint.

Well, we can hope anyway. . .

TheDarkWraith
03-24-10, 11:19 PM
ok it has passed QA on all UI modes (SH3 style, SH4 style, and SH5 enhanced). SH5 Enhanced has one minor bug - if you enable the dial for the heading/rudder and you switch to another station (uzo, periscopes, etc.) the dial will disappear. You have to click on the heading bar again to make it re-appear. I will address this in next version.

Uploading pictures and files now....:cool:

kylania
03-24-10, 11:20 PM
We should lead by example. Hopefully Ubi will get the hint.

Well, we can hope anyway. . .

DarkWraith totally is! His mod's features read like the next patch notes. :)

Westbroek
03-24-10, 11:43 PM
I'm always so happy when I check in here and learn of the new progress. :D
I'm rolling out the red carpet and initiating the drum roll..... now.
:rock::rock::rock::rock:
Keep on rocking out DW!

TheDarkWraith
03-24-10, 11:51 PM
I have released a version that might suit those interested in a new UI for SH5. You can find it here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1332669&postcount=1

Hyfrydle
03-25-10, 01:15 AM
Just a quick one do we need to be in port to enable this mod?

TheDarkWraith
03-25-10, 01:18 AM
Just a quick one do we need to be in port to enable this mod?

I do not see why not. I only change UI (2D stuff), nothing with the files and all. I can't see any harm in enabling outside of port. Let me know what happens please so I can post results on the thread about it.

TheBeast
03-25-10, 02:05 AM
Looks and feels fantastic.

I enable all dials and found that my Sonar Guy icon doesn't have any commands.

Normal Sweet
Report Nearest Contact
Follow Nearest Contact
Report Nearest Merchant
Follow Nearest Merchant
Report Nearest Warship
Follow Nearest Warship
Estimate Range to Target (no ping)
Precise Range to Target (ping)
Send Range to TDC
Send Bearing to TDC
Depth Below Keel (does a ping)
I am sure there are others but would be nice if these were available when clicking the Sonar guy.

-TheBeast

TheDarkWraith
03-25-10, 02:08 AM
Looks and feels fantastic.

I enable all dials and found that my Sonar Guy icon doesn't have any commands.
Normal Sweet
Report Nearest Contact
Follow Nearest Contact
Report Nearest Merchant
Follow Nearest Merchant
Report Nearest Warship
Follow Nearest Warship
Estimate Range to Target (no ping)
Precise Range to Target (ping)
Send Range to TDC
Send Bearing to TDC
Depth Below Keel (does a ping)
I am sure there are others but would be nice if these were available when clicking the Sonar guy.

-TheBeast

orders come with conditions. For the sonar guy, you must be underwater. It doesn't make sense to ask the sonar guy to do something on the surface does it? I tried to model this after realistic.

And if you don't mind, could you please post questions/comments/etc. about this combined UI mods in my thread on it? I don't want to hijack or 'muddle up' this thread about it :DL

TheBeast
03-25-10, 02:25 AM
Doh!:oops:

I even read the posts about that...

Hyfrydle
03-25-10, 03:56 AM
I do not see why not. I only change UI (2D stuff), nothing with the files and all. I can't see any harm in enabling outside of port. Let me know what happens please so I can post results on the thread about it.

I will try it later and let you know how it goes. Also thanks for this great mod SH 5 is really getting fun to play now.