PDA

View Full Version : DW Speech Recognition Vista

TorpedoMo
03-10-10, 05:10 PM
I not able to get the speech recog work in DW under Vista.
It is active ingame, but not a sinlge command is understood.
I think the reason is the vista speech rocogniton software, since on my old machine I had no problems with XP. Maybe it also depends on language (I'm german) so the vista engine don't gets speech commands in englich. I don't know.
If someone knows how to establish the speech recog under vista I'm glad to hear.

Pisces
03-11-10, 06:20 PM
I was never able to use the speech recognition in Vista because I have a dutch language version of Vista home premium. The problem is that the Vistsa OS expects a speech recognition engine that matches your installed OS language. (XP never had this requirement) So on my system Speech expects a dutch speech engine, but microsoft never made it for dutch. I don't know if microsoft made a speech engine for the german language. They did for other major languages, like spannish. I would need to upgrade to Vista Ultimate to be able to download additional language packs and select english as my default. Then Vista would be able to use the english language speech engine and allow me to talk to my pc. You would still need to say the english sentences though. You won't be able to say "Mach meine kurs..." and expect your vessel to turn.

Next time you get the chance to reinstall vista, think twice about which language you choose.

TorpedoMo
03-11-10, 08:25 PM
Hi Pisces,

thanks for your detailed anwer. You confirmed my thoughts about the problem. Of course I didn't want to spreak my commands in german in the game, thats for sure.
I rather hoped it is possible to train that damn vista speech recognition some english words so the commands are understood, which is obviously not possible.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Pisces
03-15-10, 12:43 PM
I got Speech to function and listen (understanding what I said is something entirely different :damn:) after using this tool:

http://www.froggie.sk/

But using it breaks the Windows Update function a bit. And that is too important for me to live without. So I set my language back to Dutch. I'll be installing an Ultimate version any time soon anyway. But maybe you can live with it.