PDA

View Full Version : [TEC]Depth under Keel

DivingDuck
03-10-10, 10:01 AM
Moin,

now that I had a first glance at SHV I´m starting to browse the folders to become familiar with the newborn. The first button/command I was missing was 'GetDepthUnderKeel'. I´m not that much into GUI programming and haven´t been for SH3 either, but I had a brief look into the corresponding files. Maybe I´m a bit late and somebody else has posted something similar already but here´s how to easily make the 'GetDepthUnderKeel' command working on key command.

open ...\SHV\data\cfg\Commands.cfg
browse to [Cmd130]
add the red line
[Cmd130]
Name=Get_depth_under_sub_keel
Contexts=1,15
Key0=0x55,,"U"
MnID=0x3F250005

Now the command will be executed on pressing "U". If you wish to attach another key to this command, search the internet for an ASCII code table. You´ll find a hex code referring to every key on your keyboard. Replace '0x55' by your desired hex code. If you like to use a key whilst pressing SHIFT or CTRL, place a 's' or 'c' between the commas.

Btw, it looks as if all commands known from good old SH3 are still present in the commands.cfg files. The *.act files in the game´s root folder do indicate the same. So, I´m pretty much sure some GUI guru will provide a SHIII like interface sooner or later.

Regards,
DD

Pilot37
03-10-10, 11:17 AM
I get the "Ping" but where do I see the depth?

reboot
03-10-10, 11:25 AM
I get the "Ping" but where do I see the depth?

I think it won't work correctly until you start a new patrol. Seems like I had the same problem a few days ago, but it works fine now. It should announce woth voice and text.

DivingDuck
03-10-10, 11:33 AM
Moin,

it will be announced by the CE (LI) and shown in the message box in the lower right corner. You´ll have to re-start the game before the changes will take effect.

Regards,
DD

Hyfrydle
03-10-10, 03:52 PM
Thanks for this I was really missing depth to keel info.

SabreHawk
03-13-10, 01:10 PM
Thanks for this I was really missing depth to keel info.

Yes yes, this is what I really needed too. No ship captain should leave home without it. Yup it worked of course.
Now to do some learning on this sort of thing. I've never even considered dabbling in this kind of thing, but I have done similar things with cfg files in FSX when installing addons, repaints and such. But the makers of the addons usually provided the nessicary entries for you in a readme. So all one had to do was copy and paste into the cfg files, and adjust values to suit.
Hehe, dont worry I copied a backup of the entire data folder, in the event I screw something up, and I'll be sure to inquire about anything I want to try.

So yes a BIG thank you for this.:yeah:

Simulated-AI
03-13-10, 01:37 PM
Thanks.

Can enemy ships hear when you ping depth?

SabreHawk
03-13-10, 02:05 PM
Thanks.

Can enemy ships hear when you ping depth?

Yeah probably will if they are close enough I'd say. But im on my way to my patrol area now, and what've been doing just as I used to in SH3 is to ping the bottom at many areas, and making note of the shading of the map, and the depth readings I get and then I can pretty much tell by the shade of blue on the map at my location what the depth is likely to be. That way I dont have do any pinging once I make contact with an enemy.

It's kind of a study of the depths according to the map shading using the depth sounder while im still in safe waters before reaching an area I might run into an enemy contact. too bad we cant write things on the map, or you could as you do the depth checks just note it on the map what the depth was pinged at at different places along your route.

Simulated-AI
03-13-10, 02:43 PM
I hope its realistic so they hear it, if they are close enough.

I allways check depth before engaging, its foolish to make a crash dive on 25 meters... LOL :know:

Bonfleck
03-26-10, 01:17 AM
I found the .cfg file but alas, how do I explore or edit it? Please advise as I'd love to know how deep it is out here! :salute:

kylania
03-26-10, 01:18 AM
I found the .cfg file but alas, how do I explore or edit it? Please advise as I'd love to know how deep it is out here! :salute:

Since it's just a text file you can use Notepad or some other plain text editor to open and edit it.

Bonfleck
03-26-10, 01:54 AM
So I changed the file extension to say .txt so I could open and edit line 130 to add the command, quit and saved changes and then changed the extension back to a .cfg. I have tried playing three times now and each time the game will load where I left off but I can't move via the W,A,S,D at all? I added the line with 0's (zeroes) was I supossed to use O (as in the letter) what could I have done wrong here. Seems simple enough.

Bonfleck
03-26-10, 02:12 AM
WoW! This was great advice to take! Seemed simple enough. Game will load and appear to be fine but is completely unplayable now! No keyboard response at all even after removing the command and resaving! Guess I'll have to uninstall and reinstall in all my spare time! :down: THAT SUCKS!

DivingDuck
03-26-10, 02:40 AM
Moin Bonfleck,

So I changed the file extension to say .txt so I could open and edit line 130 to add the command, quit and saved changes and then changed the extension back to a .cfg. I have tried playing three times now and each time the game will load where I left off but I can't move via the W,A,S,D at all? I added the line with 0's (zeroes) was I supossed to use O (as in the letter) what could I have done wrong here. Seems simple enough.

there´s no need to change the file extension to *.txt. Just right click the *.cfg file and select 'open with notepad'. Apply your adjustments and save the file. If you do no other than add the red line from post #1, there is no way you can screw up the game or association of key commands.

Before editing the file make sure you are not using a modded command.cfg file. In case you do, the command in question most probably is not [CMD130]. Search for "Name=Get_depth_under_sub_keel" and add the red line accordingly. Do not add zeroes or whatsoever, but just the red line!

Regards,
DD

SabreHawk
03-28-10, 05:02 PM
I thank yo so much Diving Duck, this is working for me and has taught me a bit too. and I now have my Gramaphone working too as well.
And I can see where I can have anything in this file working with a liitle research on some things and even just readin what's at the files beginning.
It took a pointing in this driection from you though, so thank you mate.:salute:

kanfield1
03-29-10, 09:37 PM
Moin,

now that I had a first glance at SHV I´m starting to browse the folders to become familiar with the newborn. The first button/command I was missing was 'GetDepthUnderKeel'. I´m not that much into GUI programming and haven´t been for SH3 either, but I had a brief look into the corresponding files. Maybe I´m a bit late and somebody else has posted something similar already but here´s how to easily make the 'GetDepthUnderKeel' command working on key command.

open ...\SHV\data\cfg\Commands.cfg
browse to [Cmd130]
add the red line
[Cmd130]
Name=Get_depth_under_sub_keel
Contexts=1,15
Key0=0x55,,"U"
MnID=0x3F250005
Now the command will be executed on pressing "U". If you wish to attach another key to this command, search the internet for an ASCII code table. You´ll find a hex code referring to every key on your keyboard. Replace '0x55' by your desired hex code. If you like to use a key whilst pressing SHIFT or CTRL, place a 's' or 'c' between the commas.

Btw, it looks as if all commands known from good old SH3 are still present in the commands.cfg files. The *.act files in the game´s root folder do indicate the same. So, I´m pretty much sure some GUI guru will provide a SHIII like interface sooner or later.

Regards,
DD

thank u.
It's a shame the developers are leaving all the fixit work to the modders. You guys should be on the payroll. They're overpaid & you guys are underpaid. No justice!