PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to tweak the speed of the subs

Punkedit
03-07-10, 11:28 PM
I play this game for the fun and just want to know how to increase the speed of my U boat. Could you please help me?

Capt.Warner
03-07-10, 11:36 PM
Upgrade you Motor officer's special abilities.I was doing 24 knots in a VIIA,so messed up.:nope:

kylania
03-07-10, 11:39 PM
Press "5" and scream "It's eXtreeeeeaaaammeee!!!"

Punkedit
03-08-10, 12:50 PM
Not what I was asking but thanks anyway :D

voidster
03-08-10, 06:32 PM
ive been looking through files for such things myself. ive tried to modify the main files of the subs and so far none of them have a speed listing in the sim or dat files (like the older sh4 did)

ive modified the crews ability's to give more of a bonus ..and i get the same result. Its got to be somewhere, im just not finding the right file to modify ..yet.

KOS
03-09-10, 03:40 AM
well easiest way is to level up your motorist chief.

At 2nd or 3rd level up he was able to get the engines at AHEAD FLANK ( yeah extreme, whatever :yawn: ) at 22 knots on rough sea.

B_O_L_T
03-09-10, 10:12 AM
Head to \Silent Hunter 5\data\Submarine\ and enter the folder of the sub you want to mod and open the [subname].cfg file in any text editor, you will see two entries for speed, surface/submerged and have at it. :yeah:

Heretic
03-09-10, 10:58 AM
Not as good without the music, but still a classic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-00UPjbiK9M

Punkedit
03-09-10, 12:54 PM
Found it but when I chang the speed it does nothing in the game. Any help please :damn:

shearerc
03-09-10, 02:38 PM
ive tried to modify the main files of the subs and so far none of them have a speed listing in the sim or dat files (like the older sh4 did)
I opened up the SIM file in a hex editor and found the values are still there (eng_power, rpm, max speed, etc..)

Think they changed the format or byte offsets slightly in SH5 so s3d editor is unable to pick up the new values.

lorka42
03-10-10, 11:28 AM
I se what you are getting at, however, in my hex editor(frhed) the numbers are fubar, in thebeginning it says created and modified using goblin so im going to have a go at that

voidster
03-10-10, 01:22 PM
ok ill grab a hex editor and take a look (always back up files..what i have to tell myself this lol)

Edit 2: Ok, i see where the values are supposed to be (0e for 14) on the VIIa. Ive modified the diesel and electric speed values and ..nothing. Ive modified the config file, still nothing. *sigh* im guessing its not even looking at these files.

Jessica
03-10-10, 09:21 PM
Can some one tell me what file I have to edit to increase the speed of my sub? I can’t find it anywhere. I’ve managed to tweak my deck gun and torps, but I can’t find anything relating to engines etc.

Can any one help?

voidster
03-10-10, 09:26 PM
were trying lol. ive modified everything i can think of and the speed is still 17kts without the chief's addition. Im testing more stuff though i hope it works.

shearerc
03-11-10, 06:53 AM
I pushed up my VIIA's top speed by increasing the value of eng_power and max_speed. These variables appear under the Propulsion and E_Propulsion section. Comb thru the .sim file in your hex editor and you'll see them.

Game stores the values in IEEE 32-bit single (4 bytes)

example,

6D 61 78 5F 73 70 65 65 64 00 00 00 F0 41

6D 61 78 5F 73 70 65 65 64 -> string for max_speed
00 -> separator
00 00 F0 41 -> 30.0 knots (in IEEE 32-bit single)

shearerc
03-11-10, 06:56 AM
Can some one tell me what file I have to edit to increase the speed of my sub?
In each sub's .SIM file.

E.g. for the Type VII-A

<game folder>\data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat7a\NSS_Uboat7a.sim

voidster
03-11-10, 09:25 AM
I pushed up my VIIA's top speed by increasing the value of eng_power and max_speed. These variables appear under the Propulsion and E_Propulsion section. Comb thru the .sim file in your hex editor and you'll see them.

Game stores the values in IEEE 32-bit single (4 bytes)

example,

6D 61 78 5F 73 70 65 65 64 00 00 00 F0 41

6D 61 78 5F 73 70 65 65 64 -> string for max_speed
00 -> separator
00 00 F0 41 -> 30.0 knots (in IEEE 32-bit single)

what converter are you using? so far ive tried AXE and another freeware type and none of them offer IEEE 32bit single conversions. They keep tossing little endian around and i have no clue what im doing. :damn:

years ago i had one that had such features, and it converted between intel/mac plus a bunch of other stuff but i just cannot remember the name of the thing. ahh heck that was in the 20th century too. :timeout:

Ringy
03-11-10, 09:26 AM
Can some one tell me what file I have to edit to increase the speed of my sub? I can’t find it anywhere. I’ve managed to tweak my deck gun and torps, but I can’t find anything relating to engines etc.

Can any one help?
I remember tweaking the ammount of ammo for my deck gun in SH3 but can't for the life of me remember how I did it. Did you manage to increase the ammount of DG ammo ? If so could you let me know please ?

Thanks in Advance

Ringy.

CrocodileDundee
03-11-10, 09:30 AM
Just use the Goblin editor, is much easier. You don't need to fool around with eng_power unless you want your sub to accelerate faster.

lorka42
03-11-10, 10:44 AM
Just use the Goblin editor, is much easier. You don't need to fool around with eng_power unless you want your sub to accelerate faster.
Agreed.
first, open the .gr2 file of the sub you want to change, located in the data/submarine/NSS_Uboat7xxx, wait for it to load(a 3d image of the sub will pop up on the right) then Merge the sim,zone ect as it says on the mod tutoral sticky then look in the project group column for unit_submarine, all the old values are there, and able to edit, save using button, load game and go, you may have to start a new campaign for some things to change.

Punkedit
03-11-10, 01:18 PM
Sorry where is that tutorial found. I haven't run across it yes.

voidster
03-11-10, 04:48 PM
Agreed.
first, open the .gr2 file of the sub you want to change, located in the data/submarine/NSS_Uboat7xxx, wait for it to load(a 3d image of the sub will pop up on the right) then Merge the sim,zone ect as it says on the mod tutoral sticky then look in the project group column for unit_submarine, all the old values are there, and able to edit, save using button, load game and go, you may have to start a new campaign for some things to change.

every time i use that goblin editor, no matter what i open it says im missing dll's and such. ill give it another shot though, anythings easier than me trying to do all this hex editing. :D

I think this is the tutorial they are talking about.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=162702

its good i guess, but im still having the dll issues. when i try to merge the .sim file it states im missing several actor dll's. *shrugs* ive even made sure the editor was pointing towards my sh5.exe install directory and im STILL getting the actor dll errors. cant win this week heh.

Edit: got the goblin editor to work. its a LOT easier just plugging in the numbers there instead of hex editing. Now all i need is to figure out how to increase the torpedo reserve amounts and im good to go.

shearerc
03-12-10, 06:11 AM
Edit: got the goblin editor to work. its a LOT easier just plugging in the numbers there instead of hex editing. Now all i need is to figure out how to increase the torpedo reserve amounts and im good to go.
How you did solve the goblin editor's "missing actors dl" problem? I got that too.

voidster
03-12-10, 07:25 AM
How you did solve the goblin editor's "missing actors dl" problem? I got that too.

there are two spots to fill in manually not just the root dir info. The actors dll directory is blank, its the very first one up top. Its really easy to miss:damn:

MP
03-12-10, 09:24 AM
I would also like to know a simple way to change sub and ship speeds. The SH3 MiniTweaker made it very simple.

An idiots, idiot guide would be extremely helpful.

Many Thanks

voidster
03-12-10, 06:38 PM
I would also like to know a simple way to change sub and ship speeds. The SH3 MiniTweaker made it very simple.

An idiots, idiot guide would be extremely helpful.

Many Thanks

the goblin editor is really easy to figure out (at least editing stats. not sure about its other features.) Check out that editor first. I had no trouble finding all the data i wanted to change. Im still trying to add more torpedo storage to a VIIA but i havnt had much time today to mess with it.

AndrejD
03-12-10, 07:51 PM
there are two spots to fill in manually not just the root dir info. The actors dll directory is blank, its the very first one up top. Its really easy to miss:damn:

English please...

lorka42
03-12-10, 09:44 PM
First, open goblin editor, located in the /ubisoft/silent hunter 5 directory, Then you open options thusly,
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/lorka43/options.jpg

then you go into options and set the two directories wherever you have sh5 installed to, you can see in my case it is, C:/ubisoft/silen thunter 5 yours may differ.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/lorka43/optopns2.jpg

Then you wont get hte controllers error or the .dll error anymore. Hope this helps you out.

lorka42
03-12-10, 09:57 PM
the goblin editor is really easy to figure out (at least editing stats. not sure about its other features.) Check out that editor first. I had no trouble finding all the data i wanted to change. Im still trying to add more torpedo storage to a VIIA but i havnt had much time today to mess with it.

storage solved.
OPEN the Nss_uboatxxx.gr2 file, wait a bit for it to load, then MERGE the sim, val, zone and chr files
and in the project tree column, double click wpn_SubTorpedoSys, then rooms, fore, storage. with storage selected, right click it, and add new entry, until your finger gets tired lol. then you goto file, and save, quitting the editor and trying to save doesnt work all the time, or most of the time. heh you will have to start a new campaign to get this to work.

voidster
03-12-10, 11:24 PM
AndrejD (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=239213): that was English........ ....... :-P

storage solved.
OPEN the Nss_uboatxxx.gr2 file, wait a bit for it to load, then MERGE the sim, val, zone and chr files
and in the project tree column, double click wpn_SubTorpedoSys, then rooms, fore, storage. with storage selected, right click it, and add new entry, until your finger gets tired lol. then you goto file, and save, quitting the editor and trying to save doesnt work all the time, or most of the time. heh you will have to start a new campaign to get this to work.

Mmm my mouse will die tonight but ill have those 500 torpedo's ROFL:D

thanks for the picture assist too, i tried to make it clear to other users before but..well a picture is worth ..ya know. thanks again.

AndrejD
03-13-10, 03:42 AM
@lorka42 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=252953)

Thank you

Punkedit
03-14-10, 03:11 PM
That's very nice... Is there a way to make your deck gun do more damage also the torpedo's too

lorka42
03-14-10, 05:09 PM
JA, JA, Its same as doing the sub, for torpedoes, its in the library folder, start with torpedoes_g7a-e i beileve, then merge the sim, val, and zone, then pick the type you want to change in the project tree column, damage is at the bottom of the window that pops up, under, erm, damage something or other.
the speed and range settings are under amun_torpedo have at them:) and yall are welcome, just remember not to set the magnetic detonation too large or your torps will essplode prematurely......lol

voidster
03-15-10, 12:13 AM
JA, JA, Its same as doing the sub, for torpedoes, its in the library folder, start with torpedoes_g7a-e i beileve, then merge the sim, val, and zone, then pick the type you want to change in the project tree column, damage is at the bottom of the window that pops up, under, erm, damage something or other.
the speed and range settings are under amun_torpedo have at them:) and yall are welcome, just remember not to set the magnetic detonation too large or your torps will essplode prematurely......lol

Nothing like taking out your own sub eh? lol

lorka42
03-15-10, 12:18 AM
erm, uh.... sub didnt die, just flew out of the water.....a bit......
lol 1km explosion range and 500m detonation range with 200m arming run=nogo.......

Rafi
03-16-10, 03:20 AM
I can not cope with this program: / I'm totally green when it comes to things like maybe someone would be able to accurately explain how to increase the maximum speed of type 7B 30 water and 18 under water maybe someone could help me .

lorka42
03-16-10, 03:58 PM
Rafi, look on second page of this thread, at the huge beautiful pictures I made, do what it says.
then you go into your sh5/data/submarine/sub you want to change folder, OPEN the Nss_uboat7xx.Gr2 file with goblin editor, then Merge the file with the same name, only it ends with .sim. from there you go into the project tree column, doubleclick unit_submarine. the diesel engins is under propulsion, the electric, is under, well, electric propulsion, change to what you want, then goto file, save. you may need to begin a new career to see the changes youve made. also anything over about 25kn makes your sub a bit wiggly under time compression, but nothing like in sh3-4 where you would crash dive to 900m before coming out of time compression, lol. also not a good idea too make full rudder changes under high speed in shallow waters while submerged, you dive to around 25m if you do. Hope this helps you out.