PDA

View Full Version : [REQ] Higher Gun & Torpedo Damage

Darkreaver1980
03-06-10, 05:16 PM
Hi there,

i think its pretty frustrating to shot 10-40 times at any merchant till he sinks, i even aim below the water line. I often just order my deckgun crew to shot target and use time compression because its just boring if you need that many hits. Same with the torps, sometimes i need up to 5 torps to sink a normal merchant?

Would be nice if someone could tripple the gun damage and maybe double the torpedo damage.

Pascal
03-06-10, 06:08 PM
agree !

zer00
03-06-10, 08:03 PM
I too would like to see this done. A steamer shouldn't take more than two torpedoes ever.

Though it may not be just the weapon's fault. I hit a merchant ship with a salvo on a patrol earlier. The rear or the ship broke off and sank. Did not go down even when I fired an additional torp into the mid section. It seems to me more often than not ships will sit around with massive damage (like half of the ship underwater with the keel sticking out or sort of capsizing) and nothing happens. Despite being mostly flooded it doesn't sink. The few destroyers I've hit had shown these symptoms the worst.

killpo1
03-06-10, 08:15 PM
It's fairly weird the damage system, Try adjusting the depth of your torpedoes and see if you can basically hit the keel of the ship, this will generally snap it in half. But yeah i know what you mean 60 ap rounds into the back of a ship *it was an armed merchant poor thing doesn't have guns facing its back* and a lot of them hit the prop and did no damage, also the fact I Hit a tanker with HE after HE Shell in its tank compartment and no big fireball.
It is also fairly wierd in the sense that i've gotten a 1 torpedo kill on a 16 k ton Ship, while it takes me like 2-3 torpedo's for a 7k ton merchant.

KodiakPA
03-06-10, 08:38 PM
Yes please!!!

vonce1
03-06-10, 08:56 PM
I'd also agree I guess; for instance, for Hog Island Type A Freighter (4077 tons) I generally need 3 torps to send her to the bottom. But, maybe if I stayed around and observed for some time, she'd sink as well after only 2 hits? BTW I usually set my torp depth to 5 meters.

Capt.Warner
03-06-10, 09:50 PM
For a 5000 ton Merchant it took 3 torpedoes,not right.

gutted
03-06-10, 10:33 PM
My experiences so far:

7,000 ton tanker is taking me 4 fish (sometimes 3).

Smaller ships are taking me 3 (somtimes 2). I usually just put in one or two, and finish it off with the gun.

But...

Last night i got lucky sunk a 16,000 ton troop transport with only 1 torpedo, and he went down FAST. I was shocked. Those normally take 4. I must have hit the nuclear reactor LOL.

CaptainHaplo
03-07-10, 01:00 AM
Set your depths so that you get a keel breaker - even if it doesnt break the keel your going to have enough damage where another torp WILL break the keel.

Note - I can't actually test this (dont have the game yet) - but its SUPPOSED to work that way. SH4 did get a "keel" fix - though I don't remember if that was a mod or patch.

Since SH5 works on the SH4/SH3 engine - there is a good chance that Silent 3ditor will work on the files. If I had the game I would pop out a quick mod for this provided the files are similiar. Check the SH3/SH4 mod threads for info on how to do it yourself if no one makes one.

Alternatively - if someone wants to pm me and email the specific files - I can check and mod them and send them back for testing (easy to make it JSGME compatible if you can tell me the full location). Worst case is it might not work.....

I admit - I am wishing they would just ditch OSP so I could tet this game and start modding. Once I do get it - I will create a Nuke Boat mod for it (as I did for SH5) since the "make it easier" mods are usually the ones that most first timers want.

gutted
03-07-10, 01:33 AM
In SH3, i would almost always set about 2m deeper than the keel of the ship and break ships in half.

In SH4, i never had any success with under the keel magnetic shots. They either hit the hull, or sailed right under neath with no detonation.

I've not tested it yet in SH5 yet. I'm so used to SHIV that i've written them off completely. Will try it on the next ship.

remowilliams
03-07-10, 02:14 AM
Set your depths so that you get a keel breaker - even if it doesnt break the keel your going to have enough damage where another torp WILL break the keel.

I always set torp depth, but I've had very few keel breaker shots (I've had a bunch pass what must be a hairy half inch under keel without detonating :o).

But I rarely have to use more than two torps to sink average merchant prey, even if intact.

Drifter
03-07-10, 02:38 AM
Torp mod released. See here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163646

kylania
03-07-10, 02:39 AM
So I just sunk a Victory Cargo with just my deck gun. However the silly thing is, I started shooting 8km out! Had him mostly dead by the time I was 4km away and got the kill shot at 2800m. Poor thing never knew what hit him. I came roaring in at flank speed.

Hilarious!