PDA

View Full Version : [REL] Ny Hydrophone on Surface

sergei
03-04-10, 04:37 PM
Version 2. Tested with SH5 v 1.1.5
Just a little tweak that stops the hydrophone from working on the surface.
Should kick in at about periscope depth.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1565

EDIT: Have tweaked the value slightly so you should still get contacts at 10-11 meters depth.

Heretic
03-04-10, 04:47 PM
Good man. Been wanting that.

sergei
03-04-10, 04:53 PM
Damn, managed to spell the word 'No' wrong in the thread title!
Can't figure out how to edit the post title.
You get the idea though!

Highbury
03-04-10, 06:21 PM
Thank you :up:

TopcatWA
03-04-10, 11:51 PM
Thanks M8.:up:

CCIP
03-05-10, 09:08 PM
Very handy, thanks a lot!

gutted
03-05-10, 09:56 PM
Are we playing the same game?

My hydrophone doesnt work on the surface. I also have to shut the engines off, because it seems like someone installed the hydrophone in the electric motor room LOL.

sergei
03-06-10, 05:20 AM
Maybe it depends on whether you have upgraded the hydrophone on your boat, the 2 different types are in 2 different positions.
Or something to do with morale? Maybe below a certain level they become hopelessly inefficient at their jobs?
I'll check.
But in stock, my hydrophone definitely works whilst surfaced, and my operator picks up contacts way before my watch crew spots 'em.

Decoman
03-06-10, 05:51 AM
This topic have a spelling error, can the OP please change it?

sergei
03-06-10, 05:55 AM
I've tried. Can't figure out how to edit a thread title!

etheberge
03-06-10, 11:33 PM
I think only mods can do that.

PL_Cmd_Jacek
03-08-10, 01:45 PM
I like your mod very much, but see problem, when I am on 12 meters (standard periscope depth) hydro does not work. I have to be at 12,5 or deeper. How to change it, that hydro will work on 10 meters ?

sergei
03-08-10, 01:58 PM
Thanks, I'll tweak the file a little bit when UBI decide I can play again.

Frederf
03-08-10, 02:29 PM
The GHG gear was mounted blow the waterline so should be able to hear some contacts while the boat is surfaced. Only the KDB gear is mounted above deck and has to be used submerged.

http://www.uboataces.com/hydrophones.shtml

The GHG should work at all times, the KDB should need to be submerged.

marcel1980
03-09-10, 07:31 AM
After reading this forum, im now a bit confused of how the game simulate hydrophones (of course there's no important information from the poor manual!) - it happened to me aswell that my crew picked up sound contact when on surface. I would like to know if there's still a reason to do submerge sweeps for sound contacts? I hope yes :)

Pablo
03-09-10, 05:11 PM
After reading this forum, im now a bit confused of how the game simulate hydrophones (of course there's no important information from the poor manual!) - it happened to me aswell that my crew picked up sound contact when on surface. I would like to know if there's still a reason to do submerge sweeps for sound contacts? I hope yes :)
Hi!

I suppose it would still make sense if you have the KDB hydrophone, which is supposed to be more sensitive than the GHG hydrophone but only works when you are submerged.

Pablo

sergei
03-09-10, 05:36 PM
Yep. Played the game a bit more today, and it seems they got that right.

If you have the GHG installed you will pick up contacts on the surface.

If you install the KDB you will not pick up contacts on the surface.

The game is modeling this correctly, so I do not think my mod is needed.

I'll leave it in downloads in case anyone wants it, but personally, I am now running my game without it.

LukeFF
03-10-10, 03:40 AM
The GHG gear was mounted blow the waterline so should be able to hear some contacts while the boat is surfaced. Only the KDB gear is mounted above deck and has to be used submerged.

...except that the KM developed Balkongerat for the express purpose of seeing if a hydrophone array could be developed that could pick up sound contacts on the surface.

Frederf
03-10-10, 05:41 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is Balkongarat? Is it either of the two hydrophone systems in SH5?

LukeFF
03-10-10, 09:17 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is Balkongarat? Is it either of the two hydrophone systems in SH5?

Balcony Apparatus. It came into use in 1944. It's currently not used by the game but the files for it do exist.

Frederf
03-11-10, 12:41 AM
So you're saying that the GHG gear should not get sound contacts on the surface?

gutted
03-11-10, 01:13 AM
If you have the GHG installed you will pick up contacts on the surface.

If you install the KDB you will not pick up contacts on the surface.LOL yeah i figured as much.

I installed the upgrade right after the turorial.

wildcards
03-13-10, 04:26 AM
Just a little tweak that stops the hydrophone from working on the surface.
Should kick in at about periscope depth.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1565

Great mod, but I don't hear any thing yet at periscope depth.
I've to dive several meters more for the hydrophone to become active.

This is around 14 meters depth and then my periscope is getting splashed by waves and becomes useless.

I don't know how this mod works and if you can adjust at what depth it becomes active. If so, would it be possible to have it become active at 9 meters depth? At around 10~11 meters the periscope is usable during heavy seas

sergei
03-13-10, 10:54 AM
OK, I have tweaked it slightly. The download link now takes you to version 2. Should be able to get contacts at 10-11 meters depth.

wildcards
03-13-10, 04:50 PM
Great work Sergei, thanks a lot for the minor adjustments

mamlasraz
01-20-13, 03:20 AM
thank you very good mod

Trevally.
01-20-13, 04:40 AM
This mod is for an old version of SH5

You should try TDWs no hydro on surface:yep:

Pascal
04-23-24, 08:37 AM
That's all very well, but can you make the KDB hydrophone stop rotating on the deck when the sub is on the surface?

Kal_Maximus_U669
04-29-24, 03:43 PM
That's all very well, but can you make the KDB hydrophone stop rotating on the deck when the sub is on the surface?

Yes if you give the order to the operator...:hmmm:no

Pascal
04-30-24, 03:59 AM
Yes if you give the order to the operator...:hmmm:no

On the surface, the operator is not listening, but the thing keeps running - nothing serious, just a game anomaly.

Kal_Maximus_U669
04-30-24, 07:58 AM
On the surface, the operator is not listening, but the thing keeps running - nothing serious, just a game anomaly.
Yes it seems that it is a problem of the Silent Hunter series because SH3 has the same problem...
Another thing... the light does not work when a contate is detected..:hmmm::O: