PDA

View Full Version : Love the game

sdflyer
03-04-10, 02:08 PM
I know SHV has a lot of problems; nevertheless, without any alternatives this is the only WWII sub sim which has been developed in the recent years. I know it's much easier to criticize, whine, complain, nagging and bitch abou it. We are all adults here. After all nobody forced us to buy SHV. We all have a choice not to buy or return it. As for the rest of us who interested sub-simming (not sub-whining) lets keep the forum on a positive note - constructive and objective. :up: Negative nonconstructive posts are very destructing and annoying :down: I hope you understand

Galanti
03-04-10, 02:18 PM
I know SHV has a lot of problems; nevertheless, without any alternatives this is the only WWII sub sim which has been developed in the recent years. I know it's much easier to criticize, whine, complain, nagging and bitch abou it. We are all adults here. After all nobody forced us to buy SHV. We all have a choice not to buy or return it. As for the rest of us who interested sub-simming (not sub-whining) lets keep the forum on a positive note - constructive and objective. :up: Negative nonconstructive posts are very destructing and annoying :down: I hope you understand

Define recent years. I have a fully tricked-out SH4+Operation monsun install which (at present) blows the doors off this mess when it comes to recreating historically accurate U-boat operations globally from 1939-1945. Aside from pretty graphics and fully modelled interiors, SHV hasn't got much on it (again, yet.)

Bilge_Rat
03-04-10, 02:22 PM
sdflyer, fully agree. I am having a lot of fun with the game and it can only get better. Don't worry about the forum, in a couple of weeks most of the negative critics will have moved on and we can get to work fixing this puppy...:salute:

sdflyer
03-04-10, 02:38 PM
Define recent years. I have a fully tricked-out SH4+Operation monsun install which (at present) blows the doors off this mess when it comes to recreating historically accurate U-boat operations globally from 1939-1945. Aside from pretty graphics and fully modelled interiors, SHV hasn't got much on it (again, yet.)

I was referring to full cycle of software development, not modding/adding existing product which sure without any doubts is great as well

sdflyer
03-04-10, 02:39 PM
will have moved on and we can get to work fixing this puppy...:salute:

That is precisely what I'm interested in at the moment :salute::yeah:

Decoman
03-04-10, 02:40 PM
People who would argue that 'it is just a game' probably fall short of giving an adequate response to critisism and complains to todays games.

Because one can easily argue that a game should be recognized as a game per se, where the content or service as such is of little importance, when one ought to realize that a game is to be something enjoyable as in acturally 'playing the game'. Consider the notion of 'utilizing the game' to immediately sense the pointlessness of trivializing the game experience.

The playability part is important and unfortunately, even the developers of popular Eve online obviously couldn't be bothered to relate to their 'service' as a game anymore. For Eve-Online this lack in playability part is especially revealing (about certain aspects) to those to (probably thousands of people) who have played this game for a very very very long time. Which ended up me leaving it all behind. And remember, the point of Eve-Online is to stick with it, surely even the game developers are already taking this for granted (Eve-O is a special case, being a MMO with slow/complex skill development).

Iron Budokan
03-04-10, 03:33 PM
Don't worry about the forum, in a couple of weeks most of the negative critics will have moved on and we can get to work fixing this puppy...:salute:

Um. So you're looking forward to fixing a broken game full of bugs that you bought from Ubi with your hard-earnred money.

Well, okay. Enjoy, sir. I bid you safe voyage. :salute:

ichso
03-04-10, 03:40 PM
sdflyer, fully agree. I am having a lot of fun with the game and it can only get better. Don't worry about the forum, in a couple of weeks most of the negative critics will have moved on and we can get to work fixing this puppy...:salute:

Actually, its the critics that will be working hard on the game because they see the biggest need for improvements.

Bilge_Rat
03-04-10, 03:40 PM
Well, okay. Enjoy, sir. I bid you safe voyage. :salute:

Nordmann
03-04-10, 03:41 PM
Don't worry about the forum, in a couple of weeks most of the negative critics will have moved on and we can get to work fixing this puppy...:salute:

Actually, in a couple of weeks, the defenders will be the new critics, when they finally stop kidding themselves. Don't worry, we won't laugh at you too much....well....okay we will.

sdflyer
03-04-10, 03:48 PM
Actually, in a couple of weeks, the defenders will be the new critics, when they finally stop kidding themselves. Don't worry, we won't laugh at you too much....well....okay we will.

There is en equal possibility of opposite :D

Schunken
03-04-10, 03:49 PM
If he loves the game as it its we can delete his read-rights of the MODS-Forum, isnt? :O:

This young Simulation is so ugly, even her own Devs can not love it....:nope:

Andreas

Nordmann
03-04-10, 03:52 PM
There is en equal possibility of opposite :D

Perhaps for a few, but when I say I'm not buying something, I'm not buying it. It's really quite simple.

sdflyer
03-04-10, 03:59 PM
Um. So you're looking forward to fixing a broken game full of bugs that you bought from Ubi with your hard-earnred money.

What can I say life is a full of bugs . Look at Toyota Prius with its gas pedal bugs, or at Cessna Caravan with its de-cicing boots bugs. :damn:

sdflyer
03-04-10, 04:02 PM
Perhaps for a few, but when I say I'm not buying something, I'm not buying it. It's really quite simple.

I respect your choice...I don't buy a lot of things as well.

Flopper
03-04-10, 04:02 PM
I thought I was going to see a thread regarding the good things about sh5, but I see it went nowhere fast. :har:

sdflyer
03-04-10, 04:04 PM
If he loves the game as it its we can delete his read-rights of the MODS-Forum, isnt? :O:

Darn, I knew there is a catch! Modes are available only for the game haters :D

sdflyer
03-04-10, 04:08 PM
I thought I was going to see a thread regarding the good things about sh5, but I see it went nowhere fast. :har:

The goods things about SH5 is that a lot of people share their emotional needs :D

Bilge_Rat
03-04-10, 04:09 PM
Actually, its the critics that will be working hard on the game because they see the biggest need for improvements.

Just because I like and enjoy the game does not mean I do not see its faults. They are the same faults which were inherent in SH3 and SH4. However if you give it a fair trial, you have to be blind not to see that it has the potential to be a much better simulation than SH3 or SH4.

No one who has been following the discussions here or who owns SH3 and or SH4 can say they were surprised by SH5. It is what we expected, SH3 with better graphics, a bit more depth to the underlying engine and perhaps better moddability.

yes, we can all sit around, mope that Ubi should have done it differently this time and decry this game as a hopeless mess, but this is the exact same discussion we had when SH2 came out in 2001, when SH3 came out in 2005 and when SH4 came out in 2007 and with the same result, namely that if the real subsimmers want a real U-boat simulation, they have to roll up their sleeves and get to work on SH5 to build one.

So you have two choices, sit on the sidelines, act like mr. cool subsimmer, pronouncing yourself as an expert on realistic subsims, because you once spent 6 hours straight playing SH3 on Auto TDC and sank 100,000 tons..:rock:, excoriate this game as "arcady" because the monitor on your desk shows bars instead of dials ..:o or we can get to work modifying this game into what we want, which is the same thing we did with SH3 and SH4 and the same thing we knew we would have to do with SH5.

:ahoy:

Iron Budokan
03-04-10, 04:11 PM
Ah, the old (and intellectually dishonest) Toyota analogy is brought out of mothballs once again in dialectic support of another bug-laden game from Ubi.

Here's the difference. For the Nth time, and for those who didn't get the initial memo. The sticky gas pedals on the Toyota, which people want to label as "bugs" in an effort to draw some similarity between the car and a computer game, actually killed people. Real human beings died.

This game hasn't killed anyone. Leastways, not yet.

Although, I suppose to be fair, and given the horrific state (already well-documented, I may add) of its current release, it's early days even for that.... :hmmm:

sdflyer
03-04-10, 04:16 PM
This game hasn't killed anyone. Leastways, not yet.

Which makes Ubi's bugs relatively harmless..Oh know wait! The game did kill indeed something...4 hours of my well deserved sleep while trying to figure manual TDC :rotfl2::damn:

Schunken
03-04-10, 04:31 PM
not enough sleep is in psychatry a well known instrument for fight against depressions!

So you be tired but without a depression from SH5.... :D

Andreas

bart
03-04-10, 04:38 PM
Give it a few months and let the modders work their magic, this sim will look a lot different by then and hopefully just get better and better as SH3 did.

codmander
03-04-10, 04:43 PM
let me know when its done :up: sh5 $4.99 :up:

ichso
03-04-10, 04:56 PM
Just because I like and enjoy the game does not mean I do not see its faults. They are the same faults which were inherent in SH3 and SH4. However if you give it a fair trial, you have to be blind not to see that it has the potential to be a much better simulation than SH3 or SH4.

No one who has been following the discussions here or who owns SH3 and or SH4 can say they were surprised by SH5. It is what we expected, SH3 with better graphics, a bit more depth to the underlying engine and perhaps better moddability.

yes, we can all sit around, mope that Ubi should have done it differently this time and decry this game as a hopeless mess, but this is the exact same discussion we had when SH2 came out in 2001, when SH3 came out in 2005 and when SH4 came out in 2007 and with the same result, namely that if the real subsimmers want a real U-boat simulation, they have to roll up their sleeves and get to work on SH5 to build one.

Which is a flaw in itself. That we are seeing mistakes again that where already made with SH3+4. And that the modders have to create many aspects of the game with every new entitlement of the series. Like believable sub physics. The same things over an over again.

I give you that SH5 has more potential for modding than the previous games. That it wouldn't be a hardcore simulation like it will be turned into by mods is no surprise.
I just don't like the attitude of shifting the game more towards a submarine toolkit rather than a convincing game from the start.

So you have two choices, sit on the sidelines, act like mr. cool subsimmer, pronouncing yourself as an expert on realistic subsims, because you once spent 6 hours straight playing SH3 on Auto TDC and sank 100,000 tons..:rock:, excoriate this game as "arcady" because the monitor on your desk shows bars instead of dials ..:o
Now we're getting a bit polemical, aren't we ? When have I ever done that ?

Charlie901
03-04-10, 05:16 PM
Which is a flaw in itself. That we are seeing mistakes again that where already made with SH3+4. And that the modders have to create many aspects of the game with every new entitlement of the series. Like believable sub physics. The same things over an over again.

I give you that SH5 has more potential for modding than the previous games. That it wouldn't be a hardcore simulation like it will be turned into by mods is no surprise.
I just don't like the attitude of shifting the game more towards a submarine toolkit rather than a convincing game from the start.

I agree.....

The Devs could easily add all of the Missing Features that have been in every previous version and are MANDATORY for a sub sim via an Update patch...

But they would rather rely on the Modders to do yet again what they have had to do for SH3 and SH4... But now instead of merely enhancing the "CORE" Game the Free Mods are expected to become mandatory updates to replace critical missing content.

All of which begs the question:

Why are still paying full retail price for a game that requires Free Mods to work the way it should have worked out of the box!

soldat32
03-04-10, 05:21 PM
without any alternatives this is the only WWII sub sim which has been developed in the recent years.Obviously you missed the last 2 titles of Silent Hunter that were made in recent years and with their respective mods thanks to the mod community blow this garbage out of the water entirely.

Bilge_Rat
03-04-10, 05:29 PM

I was not talking about you ichso. It was aimed at some of our more prolific doomsayers, you are just getting caught in the crossfire...:arrgh!:

ichso
03-04-10, 06:01 PM
I was not talking about you ichso. It was aimed at some of our more prolific doomsayers, you are just getting caught in the crossfire...:arrgh!:
There is indeed much crossfire around during the last few days ;)

JScones
03-05-10, 12:13 AM
FWIW I hope some of the negative critics stay around and don't leave like Bilge_Rat hopes. Some good modders amongst them...ironically modders that could indeed go a long way to "fixing this puppy". :03:

Onkel Neal
03-05-10, 12:58 AM
hard-earnred money.

:woot:

java`s revenge
03-05-10, 03:15 AM
Yesterday i couldn`t use the periscope and uzo, found out that
i had to install the first patch manually.

In the evening i begun my first patrol after the tutorial. (had sunk
the ships because i only could use the gun)

The last moment i was in the kiel chanal and saved.

I must say, graphically sh5 is a big wow. If people are negative
about this then i would say buy a better graphics card. I have much
enjoyed the enviroment. The sun could be made better but we
have modders :hmmm:

I do miss the keymapping of sh3. That must i say.

I see much potential for this version. More than sh3 and surely sh4.
Why? Because this version is open coded.

And i also see the negative things in shv. But i have in mind we
have a great modteam :D