PDA

View Full Version : [REQ] telegraph sounds for SH3?

Das Gespenst
03-03-10, 08:43 PM
Well, I remember reading somewhere that SH5 would have correct engine telegraph voice commands. I also remember there was a mod somewhere for SH3 to take the sounds from movies to make the correct German commands. My question to you people who own SH5 is: Would it be possible to take the voice files in SH5 and move them over to SH3? Are they structured (for lack of a better word) the same way as in SH3? Apologies if I should be asking this in the SH3 forum.

Highbury
03-03-10, 10:38 PM
Just to be clear, are you saying a mod with the sounds from SHV ported to SHIII? I think some of the sounds could be great in SHIII, but that kind of mod would probably not fly here as it would involve ripping content out of the newer title and re-distributing it for use in the old title.

I know with companies like Simbin who do racing titles, they encourage porting of older content to newer titles, but reverse porting is not allowed.

I am not saying Neal won't allow it, I have no idea what his opinion is. I would certainly like a mod like that for SHIII myself, I am just pointing out that it is usually considered taboo to do mods like that.

Sailor Steve
03-04-10, 10:51 AM
I don't see what's wrong with that. Many things from SH4 were back-ported into SH3, including ship models.

If I'm wrong about that, I'll gladly stand correction.

Das Gespenst
03-04-10, 03:49 PM
I did not realize this was against the rules.

Highbury
03-04-10, 04:08 PM
I don't see what's wrong with that. Many things from SH4 were back-ported into SH3, including ship models.

If I'm wrong about that, I'll gladly stand correction.

I seem to recall that as well, but considering the hardline "no cracks" stance it is odd to say the least. The software companies, and I am sure any logical person, would define taking content out of one game, and providing it freely for the use of people who have not purchased the game, as theft.

Ask a Ubi lawyer if they consider it piracy to provide SHV content, free of charge, to people who have not purchased SHV. I bet I know the answer :03:

Sailor Steve
03-04-10, 04:12 PM
Ask a Ubi lawyer if they consider it piracy to provide SHV content, free of charge, to people who have not purchased SHV. I bet I know the answer :03:
That is a very good point!

On the other hand, the moving of the ships was done in plain sight, and nobody said anything.

On the other other hand, people like Rubini looked at the SH4 files, noted how it was done and then created water streams in SH3 that looked better than the SH4 ones.

It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

[edit] And .wav sound files might not be considered 'Content'. I don't know

Jimbuna
03-04-10, 04:40 PM
I get the impression the Ubi legal people have a tendanancy to turn a blind eye to porting some work over from one SH release to another because at the end of the day such actions tend to keep the interest of people in their games and hopefully aid sales.

Highbury
03-04-10, 04:51 PM
Hey, if they turn a blind eye that is great. I think some of the sounds would be awesome in GWX! :up:

Jimbuna
03-05-10, 06:07 AM
Hey, if they turn a blind eye that is great. I think some of the sounds would be awesome in GWX! :up:

I should repeat, my statement was only 'the impression' I have.

Tikigod
03-06-10, 01:02 AM
I created the Original Engine Telegraph Sound Mod for SH3:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=103418

It was quite time consuming (and is why I only made the german voice version). All I did was use a sound merging utility to merge the bell ring with the 9 different Chief Engineer Voice Files created for SH3. So, everytime the Chief Engineer would say something related to engine speed a crank and telegraph bell would ring at the end of his voice file. It requires editing all the sound files for each voice mood. In SHV there is 4 different voice moods: Normal, Normal Depressed, Tension, and Whisper located within the ChiefEngineer folder. All the statements relating to speed will have to be edited for each of these moods for it to sound consistent throughout the game.

The originals files I edited for SH3 were located in:
...\data\Sound\Speech\ (folders 1-9 for all german voice types)

The files for SHV that need modified for this to work are located in:
...\data\Sound\Speech\ChiefEngineer\

These are just sound files so you can use them in both versions of the game. Just the SH3 voice actor will not sound right with the SH5. It would be best to reedit all the sound files of the new voice actor. It can be done it just will require alot of time and patience.

I would do it if I thought it was worthwhile or if format stayed the same from game to game. But, Im sure SHVI will be released soon and same overlooked problem of a silent telegraph readdressed. I still have the original bell and crank sounds I used for this mod as well as the software I used on back up drive. If I get some free time I will try to make a new version of this mod for SHV. I'm really enjoying the new walkaround environment of this sim.