PDA

View Full Version : Please use the correct location for Readme files

piri_reis
03-03-10, 05:11 PM
Just a friendly reminder :up:

XXX_Mod\data
XXX_Mod\documentation

JSGME uses the documentation folder for readme processing. If you put in the root XXX_Mod folder next to data, it will be copied inside SH5 install directory, so every mod having it there, will overwrite be overwriting the previous readme.txt and make the mods dependent of each other.

If done correctly, by right clicking the mod the manuals will come up.

Paco
03-05-10, 10:54 AM
Hi,

I take another way to solve this problem. I rename the readme.txt to readme_modname.txt. So, I have a short look over all the needed readme-files without jumping between the Mod-folders.

Greetings,
Paco.

TheDarkWraith
03-05-10, 10:59 AM
Just a friendly reminder :up:

XXX_Mod\data
XXX_Mod\documentation

JSGME uses the documentation folder for readme processing. If you put in the root XXX_Mod folder next to data, it will be copied inside SH5 install directory, so every mod having it there, will overwrite be overwriting the previous readme.txt and make the mods dependent of each other.

If done correctly, by right clicking the mod the manuals will come up.

I didn't know that. I'll start using that format.

ddrgn
03-05-10, 11:18 AM
Readme's are the worst, modders as much work as they do already should change the readme text to modname_readme.txt,

When your mods conflict its ok to write over the readme, its when you remove them that sucks. In GME you need to remove the ones that conflict in sequence removing mods you otherwise don't want to remove.

BillyBubble
03-05-10, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Piri !
Have noted the readmes spreading around every here and now for myself :)

However, to my knowledge JSGME neither assumes nor defaults to a "documentation" folder by itself. This has become habit and tradition for SH mods afaik, and it is a good one for sure I think.
OTOH things change over time which also gives us chances and room to improve further:

SH5 already includes a new folder called "support".

In my first SH5 mod I took this opportunity and used that one to create a new "mods" subfolder with another one inside containing the name of the mod itself.
Inside this "xxx_mod" folder all documentation could take place, at least this is what I think.

Given that, if you folks dont mind, let me propose a new mod documentation structure, similar to the existing one (since SH3) but adopting then new stucture this way:

XXX_Mod\data
XXX_Mod\support\mods\XXX_Mod

What do guys think ?

EDIT:
ddrgn, all: using the above structure no mod readmes ever would conflict OR are restricted in naming or numbers as each mod has its own doc/support subfolder.

EDIT:
ok disgerad my proposal please (cant strike out text passages, sorry)
Due to some JSGME features i think its better to stick with the OPs suggestion.

Snake Man
03-05-10, 11:43 AM
XXX_Mod\data
XXX_Mod\support\mods\XXX_Mod
What do guys think ?
Very good idea. I will back you up on this.

The readme should be the "<MODNAME>_<VERSION>_readme.txt" format, version could of course be also release date if the author is not using version numbering. Also to add we must remember not to use spaces in any file names.

piri_reis
03-05-10, 11:43 AM
This is from the readme of jsgme, so the files in /documentation provide quick access and they won't be duplicated in the game folder. /support is a good idea too, but then the right-click/get docs feature wouldn't work.

Selecting a mod and right clicking will bring up a list of all files in the mod's "documentation" folder for viewing.

- Selecting a mod will display a brief description of the mod if the modder has provided a text file with an ".jsgme" extension in either the "documentation" folder or base folder.

So if you got a readme.jsgme file, should be a short description, it will show up when you mouse-over in JSGME,
and any file in /documentation will be readable when right-clicking.

Because it's early days, we're starting have lots of mods and perhaps multiple quick versions, , the readme or just renaming the mod to a new mod_version can help people determine which is which.. :up:

BillyBubble
03-05-10, 12:02 PM
.., but then the right-click/get docs feature wouldn't work.

Selecting a mod and right clicking will bring up a list of all files in the mod's "documentation" folder for viewing.

- Selecting a mod will display a brief description of the mod if the modder has provided a text file with an ".jsgme" extension in either the "documentation" folder or base folder.

good point, wasnt aware of that. hm...

BillyBubble
03-05-10, 01:25 PM
Well I think the JSGME features are convincing enough to stick with the traditional documentation structure...
Hence, according to the OPs suggestions, I applied all those to the EngineSoundsImproved mod.
:salute:

Cheers :03:

Rickster1
03-05-10, 01:46 PM
I may be an idiot but what path do you send jsgme to in the pc dvd version? I have gone to program files and then ubisoft (which is where sh3 would be) but all I can find is ubisoft game launcher. Please help

BillyBubble
03-05-10, 02:03 PM
Just put the jsgme.exe in the game folder
I have installed SH5 in F:\Games\SH5
So JSGME for me is in there F:\Games\SH5\JSGME.exe

Edit:
I have no idea how the game installer specifies the game path but in your case the game might be installed in <drive>:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\ ... or similar
If this doesnt help, make a windows search for ' SH5.exe '
This will show you where the game essentially is installed and where the JSMGE.EXE belongs to

Ducimus
03-15-10, 08:38 PM
Documentation sucks. :O:

The General
03-19-10, 08:14 AM
Would going through and deleting all documentation, and just leaving the data folder, for each Mod create any problems?

Dowly
03-19-10, 08:19 AM
Would going through and deleting all documentation, and just leaving the data folder, for each Mod create any problems?

Nope.

ceedub
03-28-10, 02:57 AM
I may be an idiot but what path do you send jsgme to in the pc dvd version? I have gone to program files and then ubisoft (which is where sh3 would be) but all I can find is ubisoft game launcher. Please help

You've probably already heard this over the last two weeks. But anyway, the "Ubisoft" game folder is not in the programs file. You'll see it in your main C: directory. (With Win XP)

Cheers
Ceedub

Abd_von_Mumit
09-01-10, 12:42 PM
I stand corrected, just moved a readme for my only mod to correct location. Also checked other mods I use if they have readmes properly - most do not. :yep:

messageboy101
07-20-12, 08:03 AM
i found something

you make a TXT file and go to save as
then select save as all type of files

then type like: Test_Mod.JSGME

and press save

and then JSGME will read it and it pops up when you go over the mod with your cursor in JSGME

greets

THEBERBSTER
05-21-13, 06:08 AM
Hi Guys
I was interested in your comments.
In JSGME I go to explore and delete the documents as I found that the readme.txt files were all clashing as the different mods think it is the same readme file in all. Am I creating a problem by doing it my way?
Best wishes Peter

mafansiwo
05-09-14, 12:00 PM
yeah,you are right. They‘d better add a name to the file.

Mikemike47
05-09-14, 01:07 PM
In JSGME I go to explore and delete the documents as I found that the readme.txt files were all clashing as the different mods think it is the same readme file in all. Am I creating a problem by doing it my way?

What happens if there is something important in the readme.txt file after you delete all the readme.txt.

Disable all your mods. Take any open up the folder structure of a mod. check for any documentation or documents folder. If applicable, rename the readme.txt file to <modname>.readme.txt.

Mikemike47
05-09-14, 01:12 PM
you make a TXT file and go to save as
then select save as all type of files

then type like: Test_Mod.JSGME

and press save

and then JSGME will read it and it pops up when you go over the mod with your cursor in JSGME

Problem with using a *.jsgme and hitting enter executes the jsgme program.

In this example,
Your drive letter:\Silent Hunter 5\Test_Mod\MODS\
Your drive letter:\Silent Hunter 5\Test_Mod\MODS\!BACKUP folder
Your drive letter:\Silent Hunter 5\Test_Mod\MODS\!INSTLOGS" folder

is created.

Rename the readme.txt file to <modname>.readme.txt is better.

THEBERBSTER
05-09-14, 06:47 PM
I print all my 'Readme' documents and keep them in a big file.

I'm old school and I like to look at a hard copy rather than have to go to a screen.

Comfy chair and a cup of coffee. :)

Sinkmore
05-09-14, 10:51 PM
As suggested above, I also rename all readme's, but to format: readme_modname, rather than modname_readme, so they'll all bunch up in the SH4 folder & be easy to find / identify problems.

I do wish all modders would do the same, or at least not just use "read me".

I also very much wish that more modders would include info on what specific changes they made to the files, at least for small mods, so that some users could incorporate the changes manually, to use them with other conflicting mods etc.