PDA

View Full Version : XXI radar destroyed... :|

CoruscatingFox
02-25-10, 06:55 PM
Hiya, long time lurker, first time poster. I have searched about this but so far nothing's worked. Whenever I start a patrol with an XXI, before I even leave the sub pen I get the messages "Radar Antenna Destroyed" and "Radar Destroyed" - after which my radar is of course unusable. I've found other threads with this issue but haven't seen a working solution yet... I'm running GWX 3 with the following mods (all GWX options)

16km Atmosphere
Enhanced Damage Effects
Alternate Loadscreen
Integrated Orders
Lite Harbor Traffic

If anyone can help with this I'd appreciate it... I love GWX but this is starting to drive me crazy. :rotfl2:

KL-alfman
02-25-10, 07:30 PM
I'm sorry to cannot help you as I have never reached that date alive.
but I welcome you to our community and hope you will be shown a solution soon. :salute:

Torvald Von Mansee
02-25-10, 09:34 PM
That happens to me, too!!!

Randomizer
02-25-10, 09:44 PM
Get Wreford-Brown's Type XXI in '39 mod and the problem goes away.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1357

CoruscatingFox
02-25-10, 11:25 PM
I did see that mod when I searched the forums, but personally I don't want to be tempted to use it in 1939 (cause I would). :O: Someone also posted a way to change the basic.cfg so that it's similar to the change this mod makes to eliminate that problem... however, when I change the file directly or through JSGME, SH3 seems to automatically remove the changes after I start the game and it makes no difference. I'm still hoping for a fix without having to install the whole mod. :dead:

Oh, and the Late War Sensors GWX optional mod doesn't fix it either, I tried that. I do run SH3 Commander with the GWX files if that makes a difference.

Randomizer
02-26-10, 11:07 AM
I tried the partial fix manually and with JCGME and it did not work for whatever reason so had to adapt the entire mod. All it does is insert the Type XXI into all flotillas in SH3 Commander, there is no requirement to use one and there are always the historical boats available.

Just don't use a Type XXI before it's due date or do use it and enjoy, in either event the radar will work as designed.

Threesixtyci
02-26-10, 03:05 PM
Doesn't GWX have a mod for the radar that needs to be loaded, too?

edit:
Yeah, here it is....there are instructions about it, in the GWX manual, on page 70:

Selecting either of these RWR antennas while at the Radar Warning Upgrade screen may result in the destruction of all RWR equipment aboard your U-boat on your next mission. The new RWR schnorchel antennas will appear on the U-boat upgrade screen at the aforementioned dates, but do not select them. You must follow a special procedure to allow GWX to perform the upgrades automatically since the system of using renown points to purchase equipment does not work for devices that were not included in stock Silent Hunter III.

A. FuMB-3 Bali: You must perform the following steps after the upgrade screen shows it is available for installation on a Type VII U-boat, Type IX U-boat, or their variants (see Figure 66).

Step 1: Exit the game while in base before a mission.
Step 2: Enable / install the GWX modification ―Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas‖ located in the ―SH3/Mods‖ subfolder. The GWX team recommends using the JSGME tool - provided with GWX - for easy installation of this feature. Please read the JSGME documentation for instructions on enabling and disabling software modifications. Step 3: Reload the game and continue your career from the same point you exited in Step 1 by selecting the last saved entry, ―In base before mission‖

B. FuMB-37 Leros: GWX installs this automatically, so no player action is required.

Deputy
02-26-10, 05:46 PM
I tried the partial fix manually and with JCGME and it did not work for whatever reason so had to adapt the entire mod. All it does is insert the Type XXI into all flotillas in SH3 Commander, there is no requirement to use one and there are always the historical boats available.

Just don't use a Type XXI before it's due date or do use it and enjoy, in either event the radar will work as designed.

That's what I did, but I could't resist the temptation to use the XXI at the beginning of the war as a "what if" scenario. And I can tell you right now the Allies are darn lucky the Germans didn't have that sub in 1939. What I wish is that someone would make a mod that would allow you to use ANY sub ANY year along with any upgrades that came out for them.
Oh yeah...I like to play the "what if" scenarios. :yeah:

CoruscatingFox
02-26-10, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I did decide to try that mod but I must be doing something wrong... The first time I loaded a new campaign in 1944 with it it still said "Radar Destroyed" ... when I started one a second time in 1945 it didn't, but in the damage control page it still showed the antenna and radar "Destroyed" and it was unusable. I hope I'm missing something obvious but I'm pretty sure I'm installing it right. :-?

And yeah I'm aware of the Late War Sensors thing. I was under the assumption that it only affected the snorkel RWR antenna... and either way I tried it and it didn't fix the radar issue so... :O:

sidslotm
02-27-10, 12:39 PM
Hi

FuMO-391 BugFix - I had the same problem, I fixed it with the mod made by rowi 58.

I'm not sure if this will work with GWX 3.

good hunting

CoruscatingFox
02-27-10, 08:49 PM
Well... I just tried that mod and it didn't work. I didn't mess around with it too much to see if there was a conflict with GWX 3 but I didn't have the patience, lol. It takes almost 10 minutes every time to see if a minor change or mod fixed it with the long GWX loading time. At this rate I'm just going to disable the XXI altogether out of spite. :rotfl2:

Thanks for the help though everyone. If anyone knows what I might be doing wrong or any other solutions I'd really appreciate it.

Hmm... by the way, I thought this bug was supposed to be fixed in GWX? I'm almost certain I saw it in the changelogs somewhere.... weird lol.

CoruscatingFox
03-03-10, 09:03 AM
Anyone have any idea what the issue could be? I've been tinkering with files for several days with no luck.

None of those mods fix the problem for me, even though apparently they work for others. Maybe I should reinstall... last resort though cause I don't think it'll make a difference... :dead:

Paul Riley
03-03-10, 09:25 AM
Sorry to be a jackass here,but you didnt scrape the tip of the antenna on the way out of the sub pen did you? :88)
Wish I could help,but I havent even SEEN a type XXI yet,still in my VIIC.

Deputy
03-03-10, 10:46 AM
Sorry to be a jackass here,but you didnt scrape the tip of the antenna on the way out of the sub pen did you? :88)
Wish I could help,but I havent even SEEN a type XXI yet,still in my VIIC.

I haven't run a Type XXI out of a pen, but that possibility occurs to me too. My suggestion is DISABLE every other mod and just use the 1939 Type XXI mod by itself. Go into SH3 Commander and set it to "Start At Sea." That will eliminate any possibility of the antenna being broken off by a sub pen. I don't think there were sub pens in 1939, but it can't hurt.
Then start the sim using the SH3 with GWX mods shortcut.

Start with a new Captain and crew IN 1939!!!. Go into the "U-Boat" section while in your base and then to "Equipment" and then "Radar". Double click on FuMo65 even if it is highlighted. It will ask are you sure and click yes and it should say you already have this radar. Then start your mission.
If it starts without getting that broken antenna message then at least you know that it's not a defect in the mods or SH3 or GWX. Too many of us are successfully using the 1939 type XXI mod for it to be a problem with the mod. Heck, maybe Paul is right and the dang sub pen is snapping off the antenna!! But try this and let us know what happens. :up:

Dep

CoruscatingFox
03-03-10, 01:30 PM
Well, thanks Deputy! Sometimes it just takes someone pointing out the simple things I overlooked. It worked after doing that. After a couple hours of reloading I finally isolated the issue I was having - every time the game was started *through* SH3 Commander, it apparently undid the changes that any mods had made. That also explains why my own alterations seemed to be reset.

I still like loading through SH3 Commander to start careers, but I don't use the XXI that often so I can just load the mod and run the game through the .exe when I want to play an XXI in 1944 or 45. Works for me. :up:

Thanks again for the help everyone. :salute:

Deputy
03-03-10, 01:40 PM
Well, thanks Deputy! Sometimes it just takes someone pointing out the simple things I overlooked. It worked after doing that. After a couple hours of reloading I finally isolated the issue I was having - every time the game was started *through* SH3 Commander, it apparently undid the changes that any mods had made. That also explains why my own alterations seemed to be reset.

I still like loading through SH3 Commander to start careers, but I don't use the XXI that often so I can just load the mod and run the game through the .exe when I want to play an XXI in 1944 or 45. Works for me. :up:

Thanks again for the help everyone. :salute:

Glad you got it fixed. What I like to do is make whatever changes/options I want in SH3 commander first. Like starting location and time compression, etc. Click Okay, but don't use the option to "roll back options" when exiting SH3.
Then start the game with the GWX mods shortcut. You will get all the changes of SH3 Commander and they will stay in place unless you decide to roll them back in SH3 Commander. I also use SH3 to start a career, but use GWX shortcut to play the game. Anyway, glad you got it working. :DL