PDA

View Full Version : Mods?

OlegM
02-17-10, 09:06 PM
Hi, I am back to DW after a long long hiatus. Honestly I have no idea about currently active mods and am totally baffled by all those acronyms - LWAMI? (I faintly remember this), DWX?, RA?, AT??

What this forum needs is a short and simple sticky post summarizing what all those mods do, and where to find them.

In the meantime, could some patient soul take 5 minutes to explain, slowly and in plain english, as you would to your grandfather, what mods are recent, worth downloading, where to find them and of course what makes each of them so good (or bad). Thanks.

PS. Treat me as if I've never seen or played DW before. :ping:

Molon Labe
02-17-10, 11:05 PM
Considering how much these questions are asked, you're absolutely right, a summary of the mods should be stickied.

There are 3 popular mods that I'm aware of.

LWAMI is the oldest, currently at version 3.09, and is a database and doctrine mod featuring improved database accuracy, a more sensitive sound-speed relationship, improved AI doctrine, and a large number of fixes for features broken or missing in stock DW.

Alfa Tau is a "new playables" mod, which if I remember correctly, uses the LWAMI 3.07 or .08 database as a starting point.

Reinforce Alert (sometimes called DWX) is another new playables mod, with an original database (featuring significantly reduced detection curves) and original interfaces for the new platforms.

OlegM
02-17-10, 11:41 PM
Reinforce Alert (sometimes called DWX) is another new playables mod, with an original database (featuring significantly reduced detection curves) and original interfaces for the new platforms.

Thanks. What are "reduced detection curves"?

I did download Reinforce Alert tonight, and fooled around with it a little bit but I didn't notice any new interfaces, all the new platforms use the same old interfaces from the original 7 platforms?

Which mod has the biggest scenario base?

goldorak
02-18-10, 03:15 AM

I did download Reinforce Alert tonight, and fooled around with it a little bit but I didn't notice any new interfaces, all the new platforms use the same old interfaces from the original 7 platforms?

Which mod has the biggest scenario base?

You must have downloaded an old version. The latest version was released in september 2009, with the new interfaces. Take the Virginia or the Type 212 for a spin and you'll understand (look at the weapons stations for starters). Use the new rangefinder/phtonic mast and you'll understand. The Akula II improved and the Lada are not exactly using the ssaz.
Get onboard the Helix and enjoy the new stations.
The next version RA 1.1 willhave still more new playables, more fixes and some pretty nifty changes to the udaloy cannon (which will fire in the correct position and not according to the frigates fire cone).

Your second question is more difficult to answer.
I know that the seawolves play stock dw, the french of mille-sabords play a modified version of lwami 3.08 or 3.07, the italians play AT3 or lwami depending on the mood of the day. The australians I have no idea.
Really any mission you find on subguru can be remodified to suit either AT3 or RA (aka DWX) or lwami.

Molon Labe
02-18-10, 07:20 AM

Well now that you ask, I should probably reconsider the phrase. What that should mean is that for an equal signal strength, detection will result at a shorter range. I haven't looked at the RA database (it's locked), but I suspect that they've just used lower passive source levels (PSLs), meaning the subs (and maybe ships) are just plain quieter.