PDA

View Full Version : question: "Squat effect" (shallow water effect)

Kapitan
01-31-10, 05:52 PM
Ive been reading about the squat effect basically when a vessel enters a shallow at speed an area of low pressure is created underneath the hull and makes the ship sink lower than expected.
other than making the ship sit lower in the water it adversly effects the handling of the vessel as well, and this squat effect was the cause of the capsize of the heral of free enterprise in zeebrugge in 1987.
Reading into it more and more i can only think this effect isnt modeled in game?

Does anyone have anyother information about shallow water "squat" effect ?

and anyone know if its modeled in game?

Pisces
02-01-10, 12:38 PM
Sounds like typical Bernoulli principle, pressure in a medium drops as it flows faster through a conduit.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mmc1919/venturi.html

I doubt if it has been moddeled. I have cruised often enough with just 1 feet under keel, but depth didn't change when the seabed dropped.

Dr.Sid
02-01-10, 03:54 PM
I don't remember anything like that too. Good to know anyway. Same applies for subs close to surface (they are pulled up), and most probably also close to flat bottom.

Kapitan
02-04-10, 04:33 PM
well i didnt think it would be modeled but it does make for a very intresting read and ships have sunk and scrapped bottom because of it too.

Bubblehead Nuke
02-04-10, 09:12 PM
Knowing how hard planesmen work to hold PD, I would have to say no. Just going to the ships control panel where you can see plane angles shows that they are pretty much static. They show plane angle change to get to the depth and then don't move much till you change depth later.

In RL, the planes are moving to compensate for the change in surface suction. They are doing small and sometimes LARGE angle changes. It is stressful for the boat handling crew to maintain PD in anything other than light seas.

The suction dynamic varies with sea state above you, the currents around you, and the dynamics of the hull in this constantly changing enviroment.

To honest, to simulate this would require HUGE amount of compuational power. We are talking fluid dynamics here. I would just say that the planesmen are competent in this aspect of ship handling and not worry about it.

SeaQueen
02-12-10, 07:56 AM
To honest, to simulate this would require HUGE amount of compuational power. We are talking fluid dynamics here. I would just say that the planesmen are competent in this aspect of ship handling and not worry about it.

Have you seen the online submarine handling simulator at John's Hopkin's University / APL? It's pretty neat, I thought. I always wondered why they didn't do something more like that with DW.

Bubblehead Nuke
02-12-10, 08:41 PM
Have you seen the online submarine handling simulator at John's Hopkin's University / APL? It's pretty neat, I thought. I always wondered why they didn't do something more like that with DW.

Do you have a link?