PDA

View Full Version : Forgive me, SubSim, for I have Sinned...

VonGlaus
01-14-10, 01:06 AM
Forgive me, for I have had dark and covetous thoughts of others. Santa was nice to me and brought a new first-person shooter, one where I got to waste zombies left and right. Now, I cut my computing teeth on Castle Wolfenstein, but I've been away from the FPS market for a couple years.

Well, after a short, dark, interlude in that world, I'm back. Seems the FPS world has morphed into an online frenzy of hormonally-challenged teenage males with zero social skills. The friendliest forum I could find averaged 1.6 posts in each thread before degenerating into "D00d, U suck" and "IKickUA$$". The actual online play was even worse.

I used to wonder why people would post on this forum, "Wow, you people here are Great!" Now, I know.

So I'm back, skulking around the Sea of Japan in June of '45, waiting for Ducimus to smack me down again. But even if he does, he'll never say, "D00d, I'm so L33T"

Thank you, subsim forum, for being a rare dose of maturity in an Internet world.

Armistead
01-14-10, 02:02 AM
I've only played one FPS which was nothing but smack talk. The entire game was ruined my online cheating. Guess that's why I perfer games like this.

It is a great forum of people. Most of us are bonded by a love of history and no doubt a mature forum of all age groups.

bybyx
01-14-10, 02:23 AM
There is nothing wrong with you VonGlaus. Subsim is almighty an you'll be forgiven.:rotfl2::D.:haha:
I too play FPS and RPG and RTS. I enjoyed Return to Castle Wolfenstein; HL; HL2 and the episodes 1 and 2- still waiting for the third; Doom3; Farcry1 and not 2 which is a bad game; Call of Duty series; Medal of Honor series; Brothers in Arms, Alien vs. Predator(man I got scared playing this one!) and many other shooters. For me HL2, Farcry and Doom are the best. I also played Diablo1, 2 and waiting for 3, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and now playing Dragon Age Origins. I enjoyed the Total War series starting with Shogun Total War and an entire host of RTS and turn based strategies.:sunny:

tomoose
01-14-10, 04:30 AM
VonGlaus;
I feel your pain, LOL. I love good FPS games but have decided that offline, singleplayer is where I belong. I like all the games bybyx mentions and I will still make the occasional foray into games such as Day of Defeat Source but as you mentioned there are waaaay too many young "dudes" out there who obviously spend every waking minute playing and either know every map intimately by heart or have some cheat method intiated which makes playing less fun and therefore unsatisfying and pointless. Tactics? Cooperation? No way, dude!
IMHO if someone could come up with an FPS that generates a completely new, random map each time and wouldn't permit cheating then I think us oldtimers might have a better shot (pun intended), LOL. As it is, I play COD2 online but only with some friends for my online fix.

That's one of the attractions of SHIII and SHIV, they are games that demand patience and a bit of thought/analysis but can still crank the tension up. Definitely not for the MTV types, LOL.:yeah:

jerm138
01-14-10, 04:41 AM
If you want to kill zombies, I recommend Left 4 Dead. In single player, it'll scare the bejeezus out of you every now and then (especially if you play in the dark with the volume way up!) I haven't played multi-player, but I hear it's really good because you play co-op instead of 2 opposing teams, so I imagine there's a lot less crap-talking and a lot more teamwork. I personally don't like online FPS games for the reasons already mentioned.

It is rare to find a gaming community that's mature like this. It undoubtedly is a result of the type of game and the patience, skill, and thought required to play it.

Self-policing helps a lot too. If the majority doesn't tolerate rude/childish behavior, then it won't happen.

I'm very new here, but I can already tell I'm going to like it a lot.

WarlordATF
01-14-10, 04:50 AM
I know exactly what you are talking about. I play Star Wars Galaxies and have encountered the same type of people. To make it even worse, the SWG forums are constantly filled with angry and hateful posts. I personally love that game, but it amazes me that people that claim its the worst game they ever played would continue to pay a monthly fee just to complain on the message boards about it.

Since i started playing Silent Hunter 4 and found Subsim i hardly even log into SWG anymore. I show up for monday player verses player night on my server and log in once in awhile, but to be honest i'm having a better time here. This is a great community and as everyone else has mentoned, the maturity level around here is alot better.

Welcome Back! :salute:

DarkFish
01-14-10, 07:26 AM
I've played both CoD2 and CoD5:WaW online with great pleasure, but I must say the longer I play CoD6:MW2, the more I appreciate the former two.

Reason: no dedicated servers.
For any multiplayer newbies here: that means you are
1 - randomly teamed up with other members who may be a thousand times better than you are so that you end up with a 1/1000 kill/death ratio
2 - there are no moderators, which means you usually don't last longer than 10 secs before some bunnyhopping spawnkiller backstabs you:damn:
Even better, if you've earned an airstrike or another similar killstreak award, in the 2nd round of a game you can immediately order a strike directly over the enemies' spawnpoint getting dozens of kills with absolutely no skills whatsoever:nope:

I think I'll be moving back to CoD5:WaW soon...

Andrew82
01-14-10, 07:38 AM
I've played both CoD2 and CoD5:WaW online with great pleasure, but I must say the longer I play CoD6:MW2, the more I appreciate the former two.

1 - randomly teamed up with other members who may be a thousand times better than you are so that you end up with a 1/1000 kill/death ratio
2 - there are no moderators, which means you usually don't last longer than 10 secs before some bunnyhopping spawnkiller backstabs you:damn:
Even better, if you've earned an airstrike or another similar killstreak award, in the 2nd round of a game you can immediately order a strike directly over the enemies' spawnpoint getting dozens of kills with absolutely no skills whatsoever:nope:

I think I'll be moving back to CoD5:WaW soon...

I totally agree, I too have played CoD6 online and found that if you just play online every so often you're going to be killed in a matter of seconds due to the lack of dedicated servers..
After an half hour of online play, I turned the voice-over-ip volume to zero; the only thing you hear are 12 year old's yelling and making stupid sounds..
The thing I do like is that you can create a lobby with only friends!

So, welcome back! :salute:

Sailor Steve
01-14-10, 10:34 AM
My son, you are forgiven. Now go and sink 50 merchants and 10 destroyers as penance.

If you read the GWX and NYGM manuals in toto and sink an extra 5 destroyers, it can be arranged for Bishop Neal to give you a Subsim Blessing.

Father Steve

ps: Watch out for Father Jim - he likes to smack down bad little simmers.

Onkel Neal
01-14-10, 10:50 AM
Forgive me, for I have had dark and covetous thoughts of others. Santa was nice to me and brought a new first-person shooter, one where I got to waste zombies left and right. Now, I cut my computing teeth on Castle Wolfenstein, but I've been away from the FPS market for a couple years.

Well, after a short, dark, interlude in that world, I'm back. Seems the FPS world has morphed into an online frenzy of hormonally-challenged teenage males with zero social skills. The friendliest forum I could find averaged 1.6 posts in each thread before degenerating into "D00d, U suck" and "IKickUA$$". The actual online play was even worse.

I used to wonder why people would post on this forum, "Wow, you people here are Great!" Now, I know.

So I'm back, skulking around the Sea of Japan in June of '45, waiting for Ducimus to smack me down again. But even if he does, he'll never say, "D00d, I'm so L33T"

Thank you, subsim forum, for being a rare dose of maturity in an Internet world.

Thank YOU! :salute:

I appreciate those thoughts and I know everyone here does. Yes, the world is full of different types of people. There are some who cannot express themselves without belching forth smacktard bile; and there are forums for them, but not here. There are some who will apply some thought to their comments, and use tact when disagreeing, and not go for the typical, easy retorts, and this forum is for them.

Onkel Neal
01-14-10, 11:47 AM
To make it even worse, the SWG forums are constantly filled with angry and hateful posts. I personally love that game, but it amazes me that people that claim its the worst game they ever played would continue to pay a monthly fee just to complain on the message boards about it.

I want to address that; I know what you mean, EVERY game I have ever played has a share of critics who really beat up on the game. It's sort of some kind of Internet mind hive culture--do not be positive, that makes you a fanboy. Be tough, be a critic, show everyone you are not easily impressed; better to slam than perceive. :dead:

Sure, some games are crappier that others and merit a beating, but seriously, all one has to do is go back and play older games and you can see how much better they are now in every way. And I mean go play the old game, now, today. Don't rely on your memory of how great it was, how it had simple graphics but better gameplay, etc. It truly may have been a great game, but most older games pale compared to the great stuff we have now.

Lol, I regularly read how someone compares SH3 or SH4 to Aces of the Deep or Red Storm Rising. I actually have a Windows 95 Pentium 120 computer and I play those games several times a year. Yeah, they have really good gameplay, but there's no way they compare with current titles :).

thanks for bringing that up, Warlord. :salute:

Armistead
01-14-10, 12:13 PM
If you want to kill zombies, I recommend Left 4 Dead. In single player, it'll scare the bejeezus out of you every now and then (especially if you play in the dark with the volume way up!) I haven't played multi-player, but I hear it's really good because you play co-op instead of 2 opposing teams, so I imagine there's a lot less crap-talking and a lot more teamwork. I personally don't like online FPS games for the reasons already mentioned.

It is rare to find a gaming community that's mature like this. It undoubtedly is a result of the type of game and the patience, skill, and thought required to play it.

Self-policing helps a lot too. If the majority doesn't tolerate rude/childish behavior, then it won't happen.

I'm very new here, but I can already tell I'm going to like it a lot.

I had to kill zombies with my 12 year old.....was fun for a few hours, but he kept leaving me behind and some tongue sucker would get me.

sergei
01-14-10, 04:58 PM
Agreed with all the above points.
When I first found this forum I was impressed by the level of maturity, friendliness and helpfulness shown by its members. Only forum I've found that I actually wanted to be a member of.
This is turning into a bit of a love-in isn't it?
Let's all give ourselves a pat on the back for being so damn nice :DL

Col. Caldwell
01-14-10, 08:14 PM

I can't say that the previous COD titles were better because I never played them. But having played COD: MW2's multiplayer, I can say that I completely agree with your assessment. I don't even play it that much anymore.

Agreed with all the above points.
When I first found this forum I was impressed by the level of maturity, friendliness and helpfulness shown by its members.

That's true. A friend I referred to this forum said the same thing. Makes the other forums look like it's full of kids, which really isn't far from the truth.

Terragon
01-14-10, 09:54 PM
Hmm... No love for the BF Series?

Ahh.. The days I spent wasting away in BF:V

Good times.

Bubblehead1980
01-14-10, 10:04 PM
SH 4 with the mods ruined FPS for me.Now I enjoyed Call of Duty World at War because finally had a land war game in the PTO, although it couldve been much better had it focused on the PTO exclusively.

FPS are just too scripted, I do not really enjoy online play because its mostly teenagers.I'm in my early/mid 20's but teenagers get annoying.So I enjoy the single player myself, problem is, you can only play through so many times without getting bored.

I still got the new COD and played it through on various difficulties, but its just too predictable, nothing like a good sub sim:rock:

Laconic
01-15-10, 01:02 AM
With the advent of internet-enabled consoles, online FPS's, which never had the friendliest of fanbases to begin with, were doomed to a quagmire of foulmouthed, immature teenage testosterone. Pre-2004 or so I had great fun with the likes of Medal of Honor, Unreal and Rainbow Six. The friendly, respectful game sessions that weren't difficult to find back then are all but extinct now. The company of the XO of my boat, even with his unblinking, unwavering stare and wooden body posture, is much more pleasant than the obscene ranting of an irate tenth grader, and this site has the best gaming community I've ever seen on the internet. Bravo, Subsim.

bybyx
01-15-10, 03:48 AM
I played online a couple of times for a few hours: Counterstrike:haha:, everyone played that:oops:, Guild Wars- i got bored really fast, Diablo2- I liked it actually. I guess I am a lone wolf. I hate te latest online FPS. They have no feeling, no story, everything is: pull the trigger like mad. What I relly hate are the console games. Because of the console games there are stupid PC games rolling from developers like crazy. Cheap, stupid, and poorly made these games take only into account the money they bring:x. I can't balme the devs for trying to make money but sometimes don't you feel bad for creating alot of crap?
PS. I forgot to mention Star Wars games like Jedi Knight series and KOTOR series, especially KOTOR. I can wait for KOTOR 3 from BIOWARE or Obsidian, I don't recall exactly who will make the game, but it seems it will be a bloody MMORPG, God I hate those abominations :D. However hope still remains, a KOTOR 3 could still be in the works. May the Force be with you.:sunny:
Ha.. I just remembered Star Trek: Klingon Academy, Armada, DS9 the Fallen, Birth of Federation, Bridge Commander.. Long live and prosper... Q'pla:har:
These games sure had feeling.

Rockin Robbins
01-15-10, 12:41 PM
D00d, I'm so L33T I KiKa$$! UR so pwned!!!!!!!

Webster
01-15-10, 03:30 PM
D00d, I'm so L33T I KiKa$$! UR so pwned!!!!!!!

:har:

VonGlaus
01-15-10, 09:28 PM
:har:

Ditto. For the record, it's Left 4 Dead 2. Now, it's an outstanding game, don't get me wrong. But I think it's gonna be me and my bots for quite some time.

... And it's June, 1945, and I'm heading home after sinking 8 merchants in the Sea of Japan. No torps left, spotted a merchant and took her out at long range in heavy seas with my deck gun. He got one lucky hit, but didn't damage the hull. Of course, it took 90+rounds, so now I have to be really quiet for the rest of the return trip.

Onkel Neal
01-15-10, 10:31 PM
Ditto. For the record, it's Left 4 Dead 2. Now, it's an outstanding game, don't get me wrong. But I think it's gonna be me and my bots for quite some time.

... And it's June, 1945, and I'm heading home after sinking 8 merchants in the Sea of Japan. No torps left, spotted a merchant and took her out at long range in heavy seas with my deck gun. He got one lucky hit, but didn't damage the hull. Of course, it took 90+rounds, so now I have to be really quiet for the rest of the return trip.

Post a Left 4 Dead player group thread in General Games Discussion (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177) and see if you can get a group that way :yep:

Ducimus
01-15-10, 10:38 PM
Forgive me, for I have had dark and covetous thoughts of others. Santa was nice to me and brought a new first-person shooter, one where I got to waste zombies left and right. .

Hmm, yeah. You know, i wouldn't have any idea (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197973221458/stats/L4D) about that (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197973221458/stats/L4D2). :rolleyes: