PDA

View Full Version : Map shading and SHIFT+I

NFunky
12-06-09, 09:06 PM
Sorry about this, I'm sure it's been covered here before. I did searches for things like "shift+i" and the like, but couldn't find any conclusive results.

I've read several conflicting posts in this forum's archives, some of which claim the water shading on the nav map have something to do with sonar conditions and others which say it's just a 3-D shaded representation of the depth. The SHIFT+I command changes the way this shading is represented pretty drastically, but I don't know who to believe as far as what the different modes indicate. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I can't seem to find any references to the map shading or SHIFT+I in the manual.

So, could anyone give me a definative answer or, better yet, tell me where this stuff is explained in the official documentation?

ASWnut101
12-06-09, 10:54 PM
Nope, the shading on the map (deeper than about 2,500 feet) just shows a rough contour of the seafloor. It's not always spot on, but it works. When the floor gets shallower than about 2,500 feet, it switches to a much more accurate contour map.

Shift+I toggles the ice display on your nav map. Shift+I once shows the ice based on percentages (10% is one shade, 20% another, etc.). Shift+I twice shows, or seems to show, the individual chunks of pack ice, which can be useful for navigating your FFG. Head up to the arctic during February or the antarctic during August to see for yourself. :)