PDA

View Full Version : The "current depth" message...

ViperU48
12-01-09, 10:22 PM
Hello all!

Been searching and browsing the SHIII forums for some time, and havn't yet found a definative answer regarding an age old qualm of mine.

The "current depth XX" report that the CE blurts out, specifically when at 10 meters, annoys me. The feature is certainly helpful in giving the virtual captain a sense of his position depth wise, but when one is listening on the hydrophones, cruising in a storm or crash diving (the report abruptly ends the das boot crash dive sound), these reports can be somewhat of a nuisance. In a heavy storm for example, the CE will report passing 10m every 30 seconds to a couple of minutes.

I was wondering if anyone had created a mod to eliminate the CE current depth report? If not, can anyone imagine how one could go about editing such a thing? If I could, i would mod it so the CE would not report the passing a depth of 10 meters, or at least report the depth every 20 meters instead of every 10 meters.

Blanking out the associated sound file does not seem to work well, as other speech sounds will still be interupted by the blank sound file. I imagine one must edit the data/library files associated with the speech phrases, but I have no idea which files are relevant or how to open them.

Anyway, thanks for any possible help in advance, it is greatly appreciated!

DivingDuck
12-02-09, 09:20 AM
Moin,

the only file I can imagine to hold the data youŽre looking for is the CH.dat / CH2.dat. It contains the StateMachineController entries needed to animate the CE and to trigger messages to be blurted out by him. As the list of states and associated actions is really looooooooooooooooooong, IŽd suggest to give it a try in the hex editor.

Regards,
DD

ViperU48
12-02-09, 06:50 PM
Thanks again DD! :up: Going to try and dive into this one. Maybe someone else out there would like to see a mod for this too...

Wreford-Brown
12-03-09, 04:10 AM
I'd love to see a mod for this. My workaround is to submerge to 20m in bad weather so it isn't reported every 30 seconds.

PhantomLord
12-03-09, 04:16 AM
Oh.. i would love that one. Really hate this interupted diving sound sequence at 10m