PDA

View Full Version : Created new 1-degree Bearing.tga, how to host it?

Hein Bloed 66
11-18-09, 10:39 PM
Hi there,

i am new to this forum, got my SH3 only two month ago or so, but i already play at 100% (GWX 3.0 and other mods using WINE under Linux). I think i understood the basics of manual targeting and i was able to do some quite funny shots - like sinking a half-obscured troop ship in Bristol from 10km away at night (using a very, very strait line and a very, very slow and precise approach to that line).

On that and other shots i started to miss an exact (i.e. 1-degree) bearing indicator for the scopes and the UZO. I searched the net but found only a dead link to Devnull's mod. I tried to get it from some other mod but finanlly gave up and did it myself (30 minutes with The Gimp). It works brilliantly and adds just a liiiiittle bit of realism to SH3, even if you are not a "sniper" like me :)

Now, i would like to share this file if it would be legally OK (i assume Ubisoft will not be calling for my head to be chopped off for one modified .tga file, will they?). But i am not willing to deal with filefront or rapidshare, these sites _do_ host tons of illegal stuff. Besides, files parked there suddenly disappear and then there are a lot of broken links around the net. And i don't want to host it myself in case i suddenly decide to give up computing and start a career in table dancing :03:

So my questions are: is someone still interessted in this stuff, and if so, how does one get subsim.com to host the file on their site for the rest of eternity (it's just 65k bytes)?

Best regards

Hein Bloed 66

irish1958
11-19-09, 07:31 AM
Hi, and welcome aboard. Click on the download button, select "add" and there you go. The file must be compressed, even though small. Use 7Z (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html) to compress.
You should make the file into a JSGME format and include a readme.

evan82
11-19-09, 09:00 AM
Welcome on forum Hein Bloed 66:salute:

Ping Panther
11-19-09, 09:10 AM
Welcome!

irish1958
11-19-09, 10:54 AM
Hein Bloed 66 wrote:

"Now, i would like to share this file if it would be legally OK (i assume Ubisoft will not be calling for my head to be chopped off for one modified .tga file, will they?"

As an interesting aside, any change or modification of the "product" is forbidden according to the license EMEA issued by Ubisoft. From the SH3 EMEA:
"It is not permitted:
- To modify the Multimedia Product or create any derived work,

- To create or distribute unauthorised levels and/or scenarios,
- To decompile, reverse engineer or disassemble the Multimedia Product."

Of interest, SubSim alone has had over 138,000 downloads of mods; the Ubisoft forums support downloads.

They should fire :down: the Philadelphia lawyer :O: who wrote that nonsense.:woot:

Pisces
11-19-09, 12:29 PM

So my questions are: is someone still interessted in this stuff, and if so, how does one get subsim.com to host the file on their site for the rest of eternity (it's just 65k bytes)?

Best regards

Hein Bloed 66Go to the Download section of Subsim.com (link above the page with yellow "Now Open!" image) and look in the left collumn. Or contact Sailor Steve (the mod-man ... ager).