PDA

View Full Version : Finally, an official approval for the NoCD

Tuddley3
10-14-09, 04:20 PM
I just received a PM at Ubi from ms-kleaneasy, a forum manager. I brought it to her attention that at the German sister site, they have been openly using it there, and it would be nice to finally put this hush-hush BS to bed once and for all.

Tudds

Rafael
10-14-09, 04:33 PM
Great news! :yeah:

BTS-MODS re-opening soon!

:rock:

richardphat
10-14-09, 06:51 PM
Good to read this.

nikbear
10-14-09, 07:23 PM
Wow,how cool finally:salute:

Wolfehunter
10-14-09, 10:12 PM
Its about time damnit. :D

JScones
10-14-09, 10:47 PM
Is it the same set of files that has, erm, been floating around since mid-Sep 2005, or is it a newly created set of files?

danlisa
10-15-09, 02:29 AM
Is it the same set of files that has, erm, been floating around since mid-Sep 2005, or is it a newly created set of files?

Same set I'd imagine. Nothing newer currently available as far as I know.

@ Tuddley

Just because UBI policy may have changed, does not mean that Subsims has. Best contact Neal before publically offering this file set.

Tuddley3
10-15-09, 03:25 AM
Yes, same files. Also thanks Danlisa, I will contact him immediately.

Onkel Neal
10-15-09, 11:34 AM
Yeah, let's go with this, unless I hear otherwise from Ubi.

thx
Neal

Tuddley3
10-15-09, 11:49 AM
Thank you Neal :salute:

FIREWALL
10-15-09, 12:50 PM
@Tuddley3 :sunny: Is BtS open for registration ? :DL

Tuddley3
10-15-09, 12:54 PM
It should be sometime this evening. They said it would take somewhere between 24 - 48 hours to process, and it's been at least 36 hours.

Also, I'm trying to figure out if I can transfer all the old registrations from the old site and save everyone from having to register again.

U-48Kriegsmarine
10-15-09, 05:10 PM
i bought the Game MANY years ago, I promise, but it was too much of a damn hassle on a laptop (having only 1 disk drive) to constantly be taking the disk in and out, only to be left on my desk to be scratched up! I also travel a lot, so i hate taking disks with me in case I want to get some SH3 in on the car trip, or on the train, etc.

Bottom line: ITS JUST TOO EASY TO JUST CLICK ON THE ICON, AND IT GOES!!!!!

Tuddley3
10-15-09, 05:18 PM
I'm sure your not alone. I've used it for about 2 years. Also, I'm not sure if Neal would approve of talking about Gamecopyworld here ?

But you're right, it does preserve the life of both the DVD and the drive. If I had not used this mod, my DVD drive would probably sound like a coffee grinder by now. It is also helpful for Vista users trying to install SH3 with the whole Starforce thing.

Rafael
10-15-09, 05:56 PM
I bought my SH3 in Germany via Amazon.de (did not know about subsim.com), it was already patched and it don't need any NoCD. And no serial number either.

Simply install and it runs without the DVD.

Probably ubisoft has changed it ... maybe because it's a game from 2005 and I bought it in 2009?

Also quite strange ... I can make a copy from the original SH3 to a DVD-RW (or DVD-R) and it works the same as the original! :yep:

In that case, I always have a backup. :yeah:

ReallyDedPoet
10-15-09, 07:51 PM
Also, I'm not sure if Neal would approve of talking about Gamecopyworld here ?

Correct :yep:

U-48Kriegsmarine
10-15-09, 08:02 PM
Appalogies, should have read the rules more carefully! :salute:

Well anyway, Really is more practical. :|\\

ReallyDedPoet
10-15-09, 08:18 PM
Appalogies, should have read the rules more carefully! :salute:

Well anyway, Really is more practical. :|\\

Also, nice to see UBI deal with this one :yep:

FIREWALL
10-15-09, 08:31 PM
All read post #9 I read it and subject was ok by Neal until further notice.

Tuddley3
10-15-09, 08:48 PM
No, not "until further notice", he said unless he "hears otherwise". Big difference.

FIREWALL
10-15-09, 10:25 PM
Ok with me . I have a copy that doesn't have to be in dvd tray abyways.

btw I didn't think I had to quote Neal word for word.

I got his point whether or not anyone else did.

Ducimus
10-15-09, 10:30 PM
Amazing. After all this time, the files everyone was using, but nobody was talking about can finally mentioned openly. :haha: Personally though, i never used them until Starforce trashed my DVD player. After i replaced it, whenever i had SH3 installed, in went the no DVD files. No If's, and's, or buts about it. Think i still have them on my server somewhere. :woot:

JScones
10-16-09, 01:05 AM
No more "check your PM, wink wink" messages, LOL!

SquareSteelBar
10-16-09, 04:16 AM
Finally, UBI's cashbox has filled up... ;)

dcb
10-16-09, 06:09 AM
Could this be the first step toward the release of the legendary and much-awaited SDK for SH3?:hmmm:
(I certainly do hope so:yep:)

danlisa
10-16-09, 06:14 AM
Could this be the first step toward the release of the legendary and much-awaited SDK for SH3?:hmmm:

Not a chance! The SDK (in part) would have been used in SH4 and probably SH5 development. Besides, we don't really need it anymore.

The relaxing of these rules are purely because the German UBI site has been allowing it's discussion & use.

Tuddley3
10-16-09, 11:07 AM
:timeout:

Well this was short lived. I just got word from ms-kleaneasy, and she says this is a "blind eye" situation. So I will ask Neal to remove this post.

But I will say this, ms-kleaneasy does approve herself of continuing to distribute these files, but in a non-public way. So in this case, you may contact me here, Ubi, or BtS by PM and request these files.

There apparently was a mis-communication between her and I. So I have to be honest and protect us all by having this discussion removed.

I apologize. Here is where "Until further notice" comes into play. Now your off the hook Firewall :O:

I tried my hardest, but this fight is not over.

Tudds

FIREWALL
10-16-09, 11:25 AM
I never was on any hook Tuddey3 :D.

Until Neal says otherwise the subject is still open.

I'm sure Neal will go to the source (UBI) and look into it.

Last I heard Neal Stevens owns this website.

btw I did what we are discussing a week after I bought SH-3. :yeah:

Tuddley3
10-16-09, 11:31 AM
Yes I know Neal owns this site. I have just notified him about this, and I am getting my information from Ubisoft, as I am a moderator there for Silent Hunter.

And I am glad you installed these files a week after you bought SH3, I have used them myself for about 2 years. But now we have to go back to "check your PM, wink wink" messages as Jaesen says. :O:

FIREWALL
10-16-09, 11:48 AM
My pm box is empty. :DL

What I'm surprised is UBI sold SH-3 with the one install and didn't offer these files to the faithfull who have older versions.

If SH5 is a "Stay in the Tray" I don't give it a week before ... You know what. :haha:

But I can't believe UBI is that Dumb. :haha:

difool2
10-16-09, 02:03 PM
No more "check your PM, wink wink" messages, LOL!

http://katamaridemocracy.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/nudge1.jpg

"Say no more!'

Friedl9te
10-19-09, 11:32 AM
Not a chance! The SDK (in part) would have been used in SH4 and probably SH5 development. Besides, we don't really need it anymore.

The relaxing of these rules are purely because the German UBI site has been allowing it's discussion & use.

So it is. But they would never had done without some pressure from the community.

http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2371008762/m/1991082716

Tuddley3
10-19-09, 07:24 PM
So it is. But they would never had done without some pressure from the community.

http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2371008762/m/1991082716

I'll see what I can do to have that thread removed, it's not fair that the English Ubi Forum can't have one, but the German forums can. I just brought this to ms-kleaneasy's attention, since she deleted my thread.

FIREWALL
10-19-09, 09:32 PM
@Tuddley3 I appreciate your effort. :up: :salute:

Tuddley3
10-19-09, 09:39 PM
Like I said this is not over. It's not like they have to hand over the SDK to let us use the files. ms-kleaneasy made it clear to me that the NoCD is important for players, and she tried her best to help me make it public. Like mentioned above many times, SH4 implemented this in the 1st patch, and I wouldn't be surprised if it comes stock with SH5. So I will continue my quest try to contact more higher up people to get this finally approved. SH3 may be old, but it's not ready for the grave yet.

Friedl9te
10-20-09, 09:37 AM
I'll see what I can do to have that thread removed, it's not fair that the English Ubi Forum can't have one, but the German forums can. I just brought this to ms-kleaneasy's attention, since she deleted my thread.

Thats absolutely the wrong way !
Instead of whining about unfairness, the english speaking community should insist to get a sticky post concerning this issue in their forum as well.:arrgh!:

Tuddly, it should be a honour and a duty for you as a moderator of an SH III UBI-Forum to pin a thread there, which shows in detail, how to install SH III SF-free. I know, you can now buy SF-free legal DVDs and teey are very cheap, compared to the initial price. So the Kaleuns who paid most for their DVDs are treated worst by UBI.
That is the only thing, I concern really unfair.

Tuddley3
10-20-09, 11:21 AM
Thank you, I will pass this on to ms-kleaneasy

Jimbuna
10-20-09, 02:34 PM
I think all of this is, how do we say it in the UK........shutting the stable door a few years after the horse has bolted http://www.blognow.com.au/uploads/l/LIZZYFOREAL/64560.gif

Friedl9te
10-20-09, 02:45 PM
Well, I am not an expert in british humor, so it stays hidden for me what you really mean. :zzz:

Jimbuna
10-20-09, 04:26 PM
Well, I am not an expert in british humor, so it stays hidden for me what you really mean. :zzz:

The no cd crack (or whatever term/name you want to give it) has been common knowledge for years.

Wolfehunter
10-20-09, 05:37 PM
The no cd crack (or whatever term/name you want to give it) has been common knowledge for years.Yes for us vet's but not to the noob's. :03:

SeaWolf U-57
10-20-09, 05:51 PM
Most of us noob’s as you put it have a copy of SH3 that has no need of the No-CD or the 1.4 patch as the game came already upgraded so is there any point to this as it seems anyone with a copy that requires these fixes seems to already have them.
Although I have also seen SH4 in my local supermarket priced up at £5.99 so maybe SH3 might be a little harder to get now. :hmmm:

Wolfehunter
10-20-09, 08:17 PM
Most of us noob’s as you put it have a copy of SH3 that has no need of the No-CD or the 1.4 patch as the game came already upgraded so is there any point to this as it seems anyone with a copy that requires these fixes seems to already have them.
Although I have also seen SH4 in my local supermarket priced up at £5.99 so maybe SH3 might be a little harder to get now. :hmmm:
Your no noob... :D But there is still lingering old copies out there.. Some time's second hand stuff. Depend where you find them.. I have the old original retail. I need the no dvd fix so it works in win7 64bit. SH3 works fine. Starforce blocks it. Unfortunately.. and Ubisoft doesn't want to make a no dvd patch, they don't care. :damn: Its ok I don't need them to fix it anyhow. :03:

SeaWolf U-57
10-21-09, 05:31 AM
Your no noob... :D But there is still lingering old copies out there.. Some time's second hand stuff. Depend where you find them.. I have the old original retail. I need the no dvd fix so it works in win7 64bit. SH3 works fine. Starforce blocks it. Unfortunately.. and Ubisoft doesn't want to make a no dvd patch, they don't care. :damn: Its ok I don't need them to fix it anyhow. :03:

Windows 7 now there’s a completely new can of worms :hmmm: :up:

q65
10-21-09, 01:39 PM

Well I have had the disc in my puter for years now and yesterday I finally figured out where and how to "update". Now watch I will lose the disc now that its out of the puter.

dertien
10-27-09, 07:36 AM
We all have been using the no-cd exe and the other files for SH3 for some good reasons. Here's a noob howto:

a) To get rid of the Pain In the A$$ starforce drivers that seem to be incompatible with any version of mickeysoft windows I seem to install get a no-cd from any website. Try gamecpywrld.com

b) Make a useable iso backup of the SH3 DVD with Alcohol 120 and mount with deamon tools lite. (so you can keep the original DVD in the box forever) Don't worry about how long it takes and ignore the error messages that alcohol shows, the dvd image will work just fine.

c) Install the game using the image you just made yourself with alcohol.

d) patch your original game to 1.4

e) apply the no-dvd files. (they overwrite the old ones)

f) Keep our original SH3 DVD in mint condition (like mine is)

No need for the uninstall Starf**K drivers proggie anymore that didn't seem to work anyways.

g) make a picture of your original DVD and post it here :)

yepee.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1403/silenthunter3x.jpg

Tuddley3
11-03-09, 02:56 PM
I gave ms-kleaneasy fair warning that if she didn't get anything done with this, I would go ahead and post my thread back up at Ubi on November 1st (Which was a good 3 week notice). November 1st rolled around, and I kept my promise to her. I wasn't going to sit there and watch the German Uboisoft forums be the only one to "legally" discuss and distribute these files.
[hr]
Here is my last PM from ms-kleaneasy ::down:

I was very disappointed to receive the PT you recently sent. Due to working away I was only aware of the message today.

We have previously discussed the matter at great length and you had given you clear advice on how to handle the No CD crack issue. Despite this you chose to go over my head without allowing reasonable time for response and reposted the information which I had previously had to remove from the board.

Sadly this most recent incident has left us with no option but to remove you from the moderator team.

This is with immediate effect.

I must also stress this will now count as an official warning for posting No CD crack links and as such doing so again will without further notice result in a suspension on your account.

I am sad the situation has come to this but you gave us no choice.

Jimbuna
11-03-09, 03:10 PM
I still think it's a shame this act cost you your position over at Ubisoft :nope:

Tell me...do they pay well? :hmmm:

Task Force
11-03-09, 03:14 PM
That sucks...:shifty: removeing you as a mod...

Commander Gizmo
11-03-09, 06:20 PM
Did she bother to look at the dates of the messages? Sounds like they were just looking for an excuse to take that action. It is a shame it worked out that way.

Navarre
11-03-09, 08:36 PM
The SDK (in part) would have been used in SH4 and probably SH5 development.
And in development for:
- POD: Speedzone
- Chessmaster 10th Edition
- Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
- Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WWII
- Silent Hunter III
- Silent Hunter IV Uboot Missions AddOn
- Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.

all these games are developed with the 3D GDS System and his SDK:03:

JScones
11-04-09, 01:39 AM
Wow. One reason why I never visit the Ubi forums.

makman94
11-04-09, 10:58 AM
i don't understand Tuddley ! no cd crack is in public for years and everywhere !! you didn't bring anything ...new,so why ubi is punishing you for?

Rockin Robbins
11-05-09, 11:20 AM
Seems to me that it was clear that defeating Ubi's copy protection would be against their perceived interests. We don't have the right to decide for them what will and will not be permitted. Silent Hunter is their property and they get to make the rules without regard to whether they are reasonable, just as a forum site owner gets to abuse his own rules and members, deleting mods or banning people reasonably or unreasonably as he chooses.

The world's a tough place. It doesn't play by our rules. As a matter of fact it doesn't even care what our rules are. It's a shame, but it's true. You're plenty useful around here and there are others not welcome there who are first citizens here. You're in good company.:up:

irish1958
11-05-09, 05:02 PM
Seems to me that it was clear that defeating Ubi's copy protection would be against their perceived interests. We don't have the right to decide for them what will and will not be permitted. Silent Hunter is their property and they get to make the rules without regard to whether they are reasonable, just as a forum site owner gets to abuse his own rules and members, deleting mods or banning people reasonably or unreasonably as he chooses.

The world's a tough place. It doesn't play by our rules. As a matter of fact it doesn't even care what our rules are. It's a shame, but it's true. You're plenty useful around here and there are others not welcome there who are first citizens here. You're in good company.:up:
But the damn thing won't work with modern computers and modern software (i.e. windows7).
I still think it is crappy of Ubisoft to screw those who bought the original ($45) copy while greasing the skids for those who buy the $10 one.
I can't understand why it is OK in Germany to use the noCD crack, but not here (in the USA). Who won the war anyway?
As an aside:
Friedl9te wrote " Well, I am not an expert in british humor, so it stays hidden for me what you really mean. :zzz:"
Some people think the phrase "British Humor" is an oxymoron anyway.

SquareSteelBar
11-05-09, 05:23 PM
Who won the war anyway?...In this case: not the USA... http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4981/adi2.gif

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/6469/g5cgrin.gif

artao
11-05-09, 05:39 PM
Couldn't agree more about the ridiculousness of this situation. I for one bought it years ago with StarF**k, and it killed my CD burner. Now I want to do an un/re-install (to use GWXIII) but am, i think reasonably, nervous about harm to my new DVD burner.

incidently, i think i've found the 'patch' -- can anyone tell me what size the file should be so I can be sure i've got the right one please? PM is fine ... also, will I still need to use the SF removal tool, and if so before or after the 'patch'?

Thank you in advance, this community rules!! :rock::rock::rock:

l8r,
artao

SquareSteelBar
11-05-09, 05:47 PM
I for one bought it years ago with StarF**k, and it killed my CD burner...My condolences.
It killed two of my DVD drives and my mainboard :down:

609 kB

Jimbuna
11-05-09, 06:23 PM
My condolences.
It killed two of my DVD drives and my mainboard :down:

609 kB

Bugga!!.....610kB here, or so I've heard :damn:

SquareSteelBar
11-05-09, 06:28 PM
Bugga!!.....610kB here, or so I've heard :damn:The archive is leaky - 1 kB bilge water...

Jimbuna
11-05-09, 06:32 PM
The archive is leaky - 1 kB bilge water...

~SALUTE~

Wulfmann
11-05-09, 09:48 PM

If that actually happens it means SH5 is so far different they will consider SH3 pong.

Wulfmann

Kpt. Lehmann
11-05-09, 11:18 PM
If that actually happens it means SH5 is so far different they will consider SH3 pong.

Wulfmann

Very likely not so. I think many people are really over-estimating what an SDK would allow people to do. Most likely, it would far under-reach what modders have already sorted out here at Subsim collectively, and be quite limited in terms of its usefulness as a tool.

Guys, I really wouldn't lay awake at night hoping for it... or even hold your breath for ten seconds.

Given the file similarities between SH3 and SH4... and Ubisoft's backpedalling from earlier statements by Ubisoft representatives that SH5 would be built using an all-new engine... they have no motivation to release an SDK that may have cross-game functionality with more current releases... or that would be easily altered to accomodate future releases. (SH5 is now said to be based on SH4's engine.)

Quite naturally, to protect their revenue base and to make room for potential future payware expansions to SH5... an SDK has not been released up to this point.

JScones
11-06-09, 01:24 AM
Friedl9te wrote " Well, I am not an expert in british humor, so it stays hidden for me what you really mean. :zzz:"
Some people think the phrase "British Humor" is an oxymoron anyway.
Quite.

(hehe, IMHO nothing beats that dry British wit and sarcasm)

SquareSteelBar
11-06-09, 02:46 AM
(hehe, IMHO nothing beats that dry British wit and sarcasm)Agree... :up:

Westbroek
11-09-09, 01:48 PM
While understanding that copy protection is always important to developers, and more so to publishers... Ah, nevermind, I'm still laughing at "Who won the war anyway?"

Tuddley3
11-16-09, 03:45 AM
New link to the Ubi Sticky for this. I just had my ban lifted today, and was surprised to see this. But it was worth it, and I'd do it again if I had to start over.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/5941041408

I will also upload to BtS.

artao
11-16-09, 10:42 AM
YAY!! this is awesome!
:woot::rock::yeah:
Finally Ubi comes to their senses.
So by ban lifted, you mean you got your moderator position back I hope?