PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Clipping

Commander Gizmo
09-13-09, 12:15 PM
Hey guys, I just reinstalled 1.4b + GWX + Thompson's Water and I've noticed that when in the underwater view the surface of the water is clipping after 3 tiles or so out from the camera.

Hmm... maybe that wasn't so clear. When underwater, you can see the surface waves above. In my game, the tiles that make up the surface stop showing up after 3 or four blocks away from the camera. I can see the ship just sitting there in empty space after the tiles stop. Any suggestions? A search turned up nothing useful.

Kpt. Lehmann
09-13-09, 02:16 PM
No offence to anyone is intended, but Thompson's water mod is NOT what I would call "compatible" with GWX...

I tested if briefly following the release of his final version, and found many graphic anomalies caused by his mod... one of which is reported by Commander Gizmo above.

Other anomalies include extremely deformed waves in heavy seas and purple water.

IMHO, the best and most realistic environmental mods currently available have been created by "onelifecrisis."

Commander Gizmo
09-14-09, 12:53 AM
I think PT's water looks really great aside from a few color problems. I'll bet they wouldn't be all that hard to work out if we took some time and tried. He always said that his mods were open to any change or whatever we wanted to do with them.

Does anyone know what controls the clipping distance of the surface when underwater? I can probably fix the bug if pointed in the general direction. A quick poke around the scene.dat (which is were it must be) turned up nothing promising.

Any data on this being a hard coded limit for the number of times to render? It seems unlikely since it doesn't look like that many, even with the smaller size.

---
Where'd OLC's enviromental MODs get to anyway. Did I miss those in the download section?

Checkmate King 2
09-15-09, 10:11 AM
IMHO, the best and most realistic environmental mods currently available have been created by "onelifecrisis."

Is that already being used in GWX3 Gold or is that separate mod?

Thanks

Captain Nemo
09-16-09, 06:02 AM

Thanks

Yes I think so, but only if you use the 16km atmosphere if I'm not mistaken.

Nemo

Kpt. Lehmann
09-17-09, 06:46 PM
Yes I think so, but only if you use the 16km atmosphere if I'm not mistaken.

Nemo

That's correct. OLC worked only on the 16km visibility version of things. The stock 8km environment didn't need the same care and attention.

onelifecrisis
09-19-09, 12:38 AM
Reluctantly, I'd have to agree with KL... PT's environment is not all that robust.

Both. The '16km Atmosphere' mod in GWX3 is a tweaked version of OLCE2. The most recent version of OLCE2 can be found in the OLC 'Gold' mod.

Where'd OLC's enviromental MODs get to anyway. Did I miss those in the download section?

I renamed it; it's now an Environment & GUI "combimod" called OLC 'Gold' which includes the latest versions of OLCE2 and OLC GUI.

Commander Gizmo
09-19-09, 12:12 PM
No offense OLC, but I don't really like your GUI all that much. I used your environmental mods, but the latest combimod you released forces them to be together. I know plenty of folks like it though.

Actually, I've switch to MEP2 for now, which looks great! I'll play around with a few environmental mods for a bit and see which I like best.

onelifecrisis
09-19-09, 01:20 PM
No offense OLC, but I don't really like your GUI all that much.

None taken, I was just answering your question. ;)