PDA

View Full Version : SH5 information friday

THE_MASK
09-04-09, 09:28 PM
Microsoft has a patch every second tuesday of the month where they release patches on that day . I think we need a SH5 devs day for the devs to release information to the community as well . Lets say every second and fourth friday of the month .

Annatar
09-04-09, 09:38 PM
okay ill get right on it

wait im not an sh5 developer

Who exactly are you directing this at, and what makes you think they care what you want?

FIREWALL
09-04-09, 09:44 PM
okay ill get right on it

Who exactly are you directing this at, and what makes you think they care what you want?

:har::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sledgehammer427
09-04-09, 09:49 PM
I prefer the dev's ( I only say that because I can't remember their names right off the top of my head) little snippets they provide every now and then.
I feel like a crack addict thats only getting little bits at a time, then I shall overdose when I get a copy :har:

Overboard
09-04-09, 10:03 PM
They care, But the real queston here is Why don't you play something else in the meantime and give it and them alittle time so they can finnish the game. :03:

Arclight
09-04-09, 10:13 PM
I'm trying really hard to get back into SH4, but it just makes me think about 5 more. :-?

maerean_m
09-05-09, 02:01 AM
okay ill get right on it
priceless http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/1.gif
'for everything else there's mastercard'

(it's a joke, for anyone who doesn't get the humor in it)

makman94
09-05-09, 02:51 AM

hello Maerean_m,

you are in the devs team right ? i have a question for you (sorry ,becuase the question is out of topic)

is it possible to have a ruler that will show ALWAYS the EXACT distance as long we extend the ruler line? like the one that is inside the MissionEditor ( the ruler is very tricky as it is ...meaning that when it shows 0.3m is in fact 0.25 m ---why ?)
and also....can we have in-game the tool that watch officer had to get the distance ? (insteed of 'asking' him to get the distance with his 'eagle' eye ? )

thank you

maerean_m
09-05-09, 05:21 AM
is it possible to have a ruler that will show ALWAYS the EXACT distance as long we extend the ruler line? like the one that is inside the MissionEditor ( the ruler is very tricky as it is ...meaning that when it shows 0.3m is in fact 0.25 m ---why ?)
and also....can we have in-game the tool that watch officer had to get the distance ? (instead of 'asking' him to get the distance with his 'eagle' eye ? )

That was a design decision. Not even the map I use nowadays, when I'm driving, is that accurate, so you can imagine how it was back then. I believe you really couldn't do a measurement that was that precise.

Also, do consider that you move the mouse a pixel at a time and that at any zoom level, the error is at least as big the pixel's size in meters.

But I'll pass your question to the design team.

makman94
09-05-09, 05:41 AM
That was a design decision. Not even the map I use nowadays, when I'm driving, is that accurate, so you can imagine how it was back then. I believe you really couldn't do a measurement that was that precise.

Also, do consider that you move the mouse a pixel at a time and that at any zoom level, the error is at least as big the pixel's size in meters.

i think that the navigator officer was plotting on his maps and if he wanted to draw a line ,for example , 1380m ....sure he could do that . (i can do it on paper...why not he also ? )
also it would be really nice to have this tool that watch officer had !
anyway , thank you for listening .... really apreciated :up:

PL_Andrev
09-05-09, 06:49 AM
Anybody have access to full SH5 presentation (20 minutes) shown by UBI on Gamescom 2009 in Germany?

http://www.longam.net/sh4/sh5_3.jpg

Jimbuna
09-05-09, 07:38 AM
How could anyone mistake the guy in the above picture as a black man when his arms are lily white? :hmmm:

SteamWake
09-05-09, 07:54 AM
How could anyone mistake the guy in the above picture as a black man when his arms are lily white? :hmmm:

Dident we already have a couple of pages of discussion on that?

Annatar
09-05-09, 09:11 AM

Where's my Friday update? http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2889/emotcolbert.gif

DigitalAura
09-05-09, 09:36 AM
yes...inquiring minds want to KNOW!

karamazovnew
09-05-09, 10:02 AM

True, I wouldn't like to plot to the meter, but what Makman is saying is that even if the values are rounded, they should be rounded down, not up and down. If you round up to the first decimal, 0.1 should show mean 0.1 to 0.19999, not 0.05 to 0.149999...
I remember playing a game (not sure which) that made a small ruller appear as you drew a line. The ruler would become more and more visible and you'd read the length of the line on the ruler as you would normaly do in real life (no magic numbers on the cursor). Using real rulers and having to take the map scale into account would surely be nice for realism nuts. I'd better stop here because the navigation issues always tend to raise spirits :haha: I'll post my tool thoughts on the proper thread.

Annatar
09-05-09, 11:53 AM
Seriously though; anybody who's been following The Old Republic MMO should have learnt their lesson about developer updates. BioWare have a policy of giving updates every Friday, but in actual fact they don't really say anything at all, because game design is a pretty fluid process and devs rarely know what's in an what's out from one week to the next.

So the fans are getting themselves all worked up during the week, but then Friday comes and what they get is some crappily drawn comic that nobody cares about and yet more interminable "news" about TOR's voice overs that we've all heard before. What people actually want is class announcements and gameplay videos. Those aren't ready to be revealed, but Bioware have locked themselves into this weekly thing, so we get the same tired old crap we've heard 20 times already. Queue lots of hurfing and durfing and general dissapointment, and BioWare losing an immense amount of fan goodwill.

The blame for this lies just as much on the fans as it does on Bioware. Gamers are, by and large, demanding, impatient, fickle little children. They have no idea what they want, but whatever you give them isn't good enough.

maerean_m
09-05-09, 03:17 PM
a small ruller appear as you drew a line. The ruler would become more and more visible and you'd read the length of the line on the ruler as you would normaly do in real life (no magic numbers on the cursor). Using real rulers and having to take the map scale into account would surely be nice for realism nuts.I like this idea. Let's see what Dan thinks of it.

Jimbuna
09-05-09, 03:39 PM
I like this idea. Let's see what Dan thinks of it.

You might want to change into something a little more suitable before you approach Dan :DL

<AVATAR>

Safe-Keeper
09-05-09, 08:24 PM
I'm trying really hard to get back into SH4, but it just makes me think about 5 more. :-?
You're doing it wrong.

SH5 has you drive US subs, that won't do anything for your abstinences. Get SHIII with the GWX addon fired up, and you'll be just fine!

Arclight
09-05-09, 08:36 PM
Maybe, I'm actually a fleet-boat kind of guy. I'd rather be touring in the Pacific than the Atlantic tbh, but I'll give it a try, thanks. :salute:

makman94
09-06-09, 05:55 PM
I remember playing a game (not sure which) that made a small ruller appear as you drew a line. The ruler would become more and more visible and you'd read the length of the line on the ruler as you would normaly do in real life (no magic numbers on the cursor). Using real rulers and having to take the map scale into account would surely be nice for realism nuts. I'd better stop here because the navigation issues always tend to raise spirits :haha: I'll post my tool thoughts on the proper thread.

that's very interesting Karamazovnew....if you could remember that game ...i really would like to see that ruler

pythos
09-06-09, 11:52 PM
I have to say, I don't like that ruler Idea. That is taking realism to the ridiculous magnitude. IMO.

I am too tired at the moment to make any suggestions, but I will try to figure some, some time.

Highbury
09-07-09, 03:40 AM

I thought it was FIREWALL that said he looked black.. so the real question is, why did anyone take it seriously? :har:

makman94
09-07-09, 08:57 AM
I have to say, I don't like that ruler Idea. That is taking realism to the ridiculous magnitude. IMO.

I am too tired at the moment to make any suggestions, but I will try to figure some, some time.
hello Pythos,

i think that you don't understand, let me explain something...

to have a ruler that is drawing the exact distance (that you want to draw) is 100% realistic and even more !

in real life...if you are holding in your hands a ruler and i ask you to draw a line,for example , 22.4cm (yes,with one decimal )... you can't do it ??
its exactly the same thing ...if you have measure the target's distance from your optics devices(no matter if is the right distance or not) and you ask navigator officer to mark target's position on his papers ...he will do exactly what you did with the ruler (and even with one decimal if you want but this,i agree, is overstatement )
why are you saying that is not realistic ?? (and for sure ..its not...ridiculous)

karamazovnew
09-07-09, 10:32 AM
Ok I really really don't remember where I saw it. It's possible I saw it in a navigation program, or in Virtual Sailor. But I do remember it working in simple centimeters, but the maps having a clear scale of 5 cm (which on screen were more like 3-4 cm ;)) per 1,5,10,50,100 kilometers. The sides of the ruler were always there and it just got stretched out as you dragged the mouse. The length of the line was digitally printed but it didn't convert automatically to km, you had to do that yourself (a toggle option between cm and actual distances was available). The ruler itself did not create a line. You had to press the Shift key and click to create a line of that length, and the tool allowed you to continue by moving it's starting position to the last click. At the end it showed lengths for each segments and a total length for the entire line. You could move the text anywere along a segment and edit the text itself (converting manually to kilometers, for example). Right clicking reseted the tool.

And another small thing. In both SH3 and 4, everytime we click on an existing element, we modify that element. It's impossible to quickly make 2 lines that start from the same place. Can't you make a default "create mode" and make use the SHIFT click for the "change mode"?

makman94
09-07-09, 05:34 PM
Ok I really really don't remember where I saw it. It's possible I saw it in a navigation program, or in Virtual Sailor. But I do remember it working in simple centimeters, but the maps having a clear scale of 5 cm (which on screen were more like 3-4 cm ;)) per 1,5,10,50,100 kilometers. The sides of the ruler were always there and it just got stretched out as you dragged the mouse. The length of the line was digitally printed but it didn't convert automatically to km, you had to do that yourself (a toggle option between cm and actual distances was available). The ruler itself did not create a line. You had to press the Shift key and click to create a line of that length, and the tool allowed you to continue by moving it's starting position to the last click. At the end it showed lengths for each segments and a total length for the entire line. You could move the text anywere along a segment and edit the text itself (converting manually to kilometers, for example). Right clicking reseted the tool.

And another small thing. In both SH3 and 4, everytime we click on an existing element, we modify that element. It's impossible to quickly make 2 lines that start from the same place. Can't you make a default "create mode" and make use the SHIFT click for the "change mode"?

ok Karamazovnew , it ''seems'' uncomfortable this ruler. what i have in mind is a ruler that is showing to you (with digits) the exact distance . and if this is not possible at every scale of the map then...it will be just fine if it shows the exact distance only in one scale...,for example, at 0-500 m scale ( with Malloy's Ruler you can do that---for sure Malloy's ruler is the best solution today)
malloy's ruler is also acurate at 0-2500m scale but if we have a ruler that is acurate at 0-500m scale then we can draw as long lines we want with acuracy becuase we can switch to 0-500 scale when we are closing to the end of the line
hope to understand me becuase my english...xmm !!

karamazovnew
09-08-09, 05:38 PM
It wasn't uncomfortable. Maybe my english made it seem so :doh:. It was actually easy to use and very powerful. I'll mod it in the game (if I can :hmmm:) since it's scope might be a tiny bit over the top for SH5 for the devs to include it.

But what is this Malloy ruller? Do you have a pic?

makman94
09-08-09, 06:31 PM
It wasn't uncomfortable. Maybe my english made it seem so :doh:. It was actually easy to use and very powerful. I'll mod it in the game (if I can :hmmm:) since it's scope might be a tiny bit over the top for SH5 for the devs to include it.

But what is this Malloy ruller? Do you have a pic?

you can get it from my ff page(instructions on how to use it are included in the .rar).here is a pic:
http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh372/makman94/4-1.jpg

DigitalAura
09-09-09, 08:32 AM
OMG, MAKMAN... wtf is up with your screen? LOL

You have such cool interface! Is this all one mod?

Is that a damage meter for your sub?

and what's that stuff in the bottom left hand corner?

makman94
09-09-09, 09:47 AM
OMG, MAKMAN... wtf is up with your screen? LOL

You have such cool interface! Is this all one mod?

and what's that stuff in the bottom left hand corner?

hello DigitalAura,
note that the pic is from sh3

no...its not one mod ! basically the interface is Olc's gui
when you say ''damage meter'' you mean the green sub icon at bottom right? if yes...this is a stealth meter which there is only in sh3
the stuff in the bottom left hand corner is a sextant

Kaleun_Endrass
09-09-09, 09:49 AM
Itīs the stealth indicator.
Take a look at the manual of SH3 or change to arcade-style realism-settings and you can see it too.

DigitalAura
09-09-09, 02:14 PM
ahhh... I went from SH2 to SH4. Missed that one, although I own SH3 because I got SH3/SH4/SH4 Uboats add on with a STEAM promo. :yeah: