PDA

View Full Version : Starforce .....

L15-Monty
08-23-09, 05:44 PM
im sure that you have all herd this question before but i just got to ask.

Just got a new laptop with vista home premium (32), installed SH3 and got the dredded message saying 'Starforce wont let the game play because its driver is incompatable with the OS' Dam you Starforce.:damn:

Is there anyway around this problem (Im not very computer minded, so be gentle) or does anybody know any websites where i can buy a SH3 version without Starfore?

Any help would be fantastic guys.

SeaWolf U-57
08-23-09, 08:43 PM
Im just wondering if you have downloaded the latest Starforce version
From the windows update site.

SH3 is available from subsim here http://www.subsim.com/store.html (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/../store.html)
Scroll down the page and you will see the without Starforce version

Edited ?????

Contact
08-24-09, 01:17 AM
http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55

L15-Monty
08-24-09, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the replys guys.

No luck yet. tried removing the starforce with the removal tool, tried updating starforce through microsoft and through starforce updater, nohing.

Yes i can buy SH3 without Starforce, but only if i live in the U.S. i live in UK, so that ones out aswell.

Any other ideas guys, really Need to sink ships again.

Contact
08-24-09, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the replys guys.

No luck yet. tried removing the starforce with the removal tool, tried updating starforce through microsoft and through starforce updater, nohing.

Yes i can buy SH3 without Starforce, but only if i live in the U.S. i live in UK, so that ones out aswell.

Any other ideas guys, really Need to sink ships again.

Rollback to XP :yep:

Seeadler
08-24-09, 06:19 AM
In Germany we can buy a SH3 Version published by Aka Tronik in most of the big electronic consumer market's or at Amazon.de. This version must have the barcode: 4012160344487, it is patched to 1.4 and without StarForce.

Try a search with the barcode 4012160344487 in google and maybe you will get some UK shops with this version of SH3.

Cheapskate
08-24-09, 06:27 AM
The Focus Interactive version currently showing on Amazon UK doesn't have have Starforce and is also pre-patched to 1.4b just like the version Seeadler mentions.

Bar code in this case is 5031366016324.

Edit:

In view of info in Flakmonkey's post (Nr 10, this thread) I should mention that the Focus Interactive version on Amazon may not be SF free.

If bar coded as shown above - it will be OK. But there seems no way to quote a barcode on an Amazon order - and it isn't shown anywhere in their product info. Consequently what you end up with may be a bit of a lottery!

Wildhawke11
08-24-09, 06:33 AM
Make sure its the FOCUS game because that's the SF free version.

SeaWolf U-57
08-24-09, 06:38 AM
Try the SubSim Amazon supported search
I hate to say the word but E-bay has the version you want :hmmm:

flakmonkey
08-24-09, 07:21 AM
Make sure its the FOCUS game because that's the SF free version.

Nope, the focus version still has starforce (and is not even patched to 1.4b! its still 1.0:nope:)

Cheapskate
08-24-09, 07:18 PM
Nope, the focus version still has starforce (and is not even patched to 1.4b! its still 1.0:nope:)

Well bang goes the idea that the Focus "Exclusive" version is up-to-date and SF free!

Not entirely surprising tho. Shortly before I got the Focus edition I'd seen a post on these forums advising that a particular German version came without SF. Duly ordered it from Amazon.de and when it arrived - there was Starforce, large as life and twice as nasty!

Looks like Focus Interactive's offering may have gone the same way.

Monty may think it worthwhile to give the Amazon UK version a try - it's only about 4 quid including postage. If it's barcoded as mentioned in my earlier post it'll be ok.

Alternatively, he may find Fincuan's posts on :-

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=149904&

of some use ,especially as this thread concerns Vista issues..

paul_kingtiger
08-25-09, 07:11 AM
SH3 is available on steam for $10. I'd guess that was starforce free (no disk, nothing for starforce to check). But you might want to confirm that.

There are other ways around it, I run Windows 7 and have the same problem.

Wildhawke11
08-25-09, 10:16 PM

I knew the Focus version i had was v1.4 but because i have a back up disk image, i put it on again. It is version 1.4 then again i used my SF removal tool to check. It tell me i have no SF on my computer.
Maybe things are different in Essex :DL

Even before i bought the Focus version i played the game without SF i am sure you know how.

ReallyDedPoet
08-26-09, 07:28 AM
Just a reminder folks regarding posting links for other online gaming sites. From the SUBSIM FAQ;

Can I sell my book/game/stuff here? No, unless you receive specific permission from the Admin. We also advise against advertising or referring to other online game stores. This may seem greedy but this website costs several hundred dollars a month to keep online! We need all the help we can get and selling submarine and computer games helps. If you want to advertise for the competition, start your own forum and have at it.

Thanks.

Checkmate King 2
08-26-09, 10:22 AM

Why is that? Does Amazon only let you buy from their UK store?

Too bad Sibsim doesn't buy a few copies so you can buy one from them!!!:03:

Cheapskate
08-26-09, 11:00 AM
No! nothing to do with Amazon.

I understand Ubi's marketing policy means that the N.American version cannot be supplied outside US, Canada and Mexico.:damn:

Wouldn't matter if the versions were identical but they aren't. Your versions are SF free whereas ours aren't!

L15-Monty
08-27-09, 05:38 AM
Well i couldnt be happier, my new copy of SH3 arrived from amazon (Focus version), couldnt tell if it had Starforce on it or not but it did say that it works on Vista, so i enstalled it and IT WORKS!!. No problems so far, its only vannila SH3 but its looking hopefull.:yeah:

Thanks to everyone who helped me in my hour of need, especially to Cheapskate who directed me to it, wish i could give something back to the modders and everone else on here.:arrgh!:

Now, back to the Atlantic my friends.

Monty

irish1958
08-27-09, 06:51 AM
, wish i could give something back to the modders and everone else on here.:arrgh!:

Now, back to the Atlantic my friends.

Monty

You can; make a small donation to Subsim.

Checkmate King 2
09-04-09, 02:07 AM
I just bought my non-Starforce Encore version from Amazon, that is already patched to 1.4. It is nice not having to wait on the Starforce scan anymore!!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017HIH6O?tag=cyberknight&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B0017HIH6O&adid=1N98N1GA3TETPGVZABEK&

L15-Monty
10-17-09, 03:04 PM
well im still having trouble getting my version patched up to 1.4, it keeps saying that it dosent know what version of SH3 i have, but atleast i can play vannila SH3.

Anybody got any more hints or clues as to what to do?

With all the mods that im used to running, Vannila SH3 is a bit basic and not all that pleasing any more.

Philipp_Thomsen
10-17-09, 03:15 PM
You're not able to install 1.4b?

Just delete the two files inside "C:\*****\SilentHunterIII\data\Menu"

en_menu.txt
de_menu.txt

prior to installing the patch. Then the patch will install normally.

If you're still having trouble with starforce, use the NoCD crack you can find on the internet. It's already non-illegal to use/talk about it.

:up:

L15-Monty
10-31-09, 05:08 PM
Still not working, cant get SH3 patched up to 1.4b even after deleting those menu file's.

Any other idea's guys, or is it game over for me?

Hope you can help

Friedl9te
10-31-09, 09:09 PM
http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2371008762/m/1991082716

Cheapskate
10-31-09, 10:02 PM
Still not working, cant get SH3 patched up to 1.4b even after deleting those menu file's.

Any other idea's guys, or is it game over for me?

Hope you can help

The Focus version you bought back in August should already be patched to 1.4b.

Check the barcode on the rear of the DVD case - if it reads 5031366016324 it most definitely is.

L15-Monty
11-01-09, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the surgestions guys, i'll check out my bar code when i get back to my laptop at work.

Thanks for the link Friedl9te but my german is a bit rusty, its been some time since i spoke it, and both the links are in german. Im sure they would help though.

I'll post an update later.

L15-Monty
11-07-09, 04:41 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped me in my hour of need.:yeah:

I feel so silly having not checked to see if my version of SH3 was already patched to 1.4b, it was ( thanks Cheapskate ) and GWX3 installed no problem, as did commander and all the other mods i like.:woot:

So i am back to the atlantic and sinking ships.:arrgh!:

Thanks again Subsim.

GWX3 Rocks!

Cheapskate
11-08-09, 04:48 AM
Hi,Monty
Glad to hear you are up and running.:DL

IIRC,The existence of a Starforce free, prepatched to 1.4b version of SH3, which also includes a No/DVD fix, was never officially announced ( or even confirmed ) By Ubi. Nor did the companies who were seemingly licensed to produce it make any reference to these advantages in their publicity. So you weren't the first to get confused. Nor, I suspect, will you be the last.

Even today, the situation is still far from clear. Some subsimmers report having Focus versions which are SF ridden with none of the features mentioned above.

Anyhow, you are in the clear ....so Happy GWX'ing