PDA

View Full Version : PBY Catalina

Patchman123
08-16-09, 04:44 PM
Or how about adding another aircraft that's sorely lacking from the game, the PBY Catalina flying boat? I mean they would omit for copyright reasons, but Consolidated aircraft has been out of business for years. Is there a way to make a mod for the PBY? I am requesting the PBY Catalina because it was a vital aircraft to the Pacific War effort and not the Avro Lancaster bomber aircraft, which would do better in Europe against Germany. It wasn't suited for ASW work. Copyright my a**! They could have done it. I don't think anyone would have sued them. Lockheed wouldn't give a crap if you put in a P-38 in a game because they don't make it anymore. Is this anti-Americanism on the part of the Romanians? I never trust some of those people. The syntax and grammar in the radio messages is so bad. Do you think they would have let somebody from high school or college in the military who types like that? I think not because they require high literacy skills. My original point. More aircraft need to be included. Is there a way to include the F-6F Hellcat or the P-51 Mustang in the game? Their inclusion would be extremely useful instead of the crap Brewster Buffalo aircraft which was all but phased out because of its poor performance. Has anyone thought of including them in Real Fleet Boat mod or Trigger Maru Overhaul? The additions would be wonderful. How about adding the B-29 Superfortress too while you're at it. This game needs more variety of American aircraft instead of the crappy stock planes. Then again, SH4 is not a flight sim. It's a sub sim. Their additions would still be wonderful along with the SB2C Helldiver dive bomber aircraft and the Douglas Dauntless. The Dauntless would make Midway level a lot more complete in my opinion along with adding Morse code sounds for every time you receive a radio message. Let's also eliminate present-day boundaries of Indonesia and Asia on the part of the designers to be "politically correct" as it were. I feel that they did this to be politically correct and it should stop. This political correctness gets in the way of a great game. We're here to do things as historically accurately possible, not bow to some Politically correct idiot who's more interested in appeasing some jack ass in Indonesia would send him a death threat over this game because of colonial sensibilites or patronization. There also needs to be more place names. In RFB, place names are sorely lacking. Half of the islands on the map aren't even labeled or spelled correctly. Do you think that somebody in the Navy would let a semi-literate person spell names like that? Hell no! He would have been fired as cartographer and rightly so. You don't let someone whose lives depend on those charts to make spelling mistakes because they could get someone killed. It also helps to know where one is, too. I have alot to say don't I? I'll condense down to my final point. SH4 needs more stuff to make it much better like the game we know and love. So, let's do this.

peabody
08-16-09, 09:28 PM
I'll condense down to my final point. SH4 needs more stuff to make it much better like the game we know and love. So, let's do this.

When do you think you can have it ready? Oh, BTW, a lot of the stuff you are ranting about has already been done.

Here are the planes in FOTRS MOD:

- B17 Level Bomber
- B24 Level Bomber
- Catalina Searchplane
- Seversky/Republic P35
- Republic P47 Thunderbolt
- Republic P51 Mustang
- Vought F4U-4 Corsair
- Douglass SBD-3 Dauntless
- Lockheed P38 Lightning
- Douglass F6 Hellcat

And that's just in one MOD, almost all the planes you asked about and some you didn't. And you didn't even mention the Corsair, probably one of the most easily recognized planes of the war.

I also know there is a MOD that did label a lot more of the map, but I don't remember the name of it or if maybe it is included in another of the major MODs. You could try a search but it does exist.

As for
I never trust some of those people. The syntax and grammar in the radio messages is so bad.
How's your Romanian? I think they did pretty well considering some of them probably don't speak English or if they do it's probably their second or third language. If I made a game to sell in Romania, it would have to be in English. And I have seen a lot of Americans 'butcher' the English language (myself included at times) so I think the Romanians deserve a little break on that one.

Do you think they would have let somebody from high school or college in the military who types like that? Yes I do, because I have seen it with my own eyes. And they are Americans and should know the language, not Romanians.

So look around, a lot of what you want has already been done, you just need to find it and put it in your MOD folder.

Peabody

Patchman123
08-17-09, 02:04 PM
When do you think you can have it ready? Oh, BTW, a lot of the stuff you are ranting about has already been done.

Here are the planes in FOTRS MOD:

- B17 Level Bomber
- B24 Level Bomber
- Catalina Searchplane
- Seversky/Republic P35
- Republic P47 Thunderbolt
- Republic P51 Mustang
- Vought F4U-4 Corsair
- Douglass SBD-3 Dauntless
- Lockheed P38 Lightning
- Douglass F6 Hellcat

And that's just in one MOD, almost all the planes you asked about and some you didn't. And you didn't even mention the Corsair, probably one of the most easily recognized planes of the war.

I also know there is a MOD that did label a lot more of the map, but I don't remember the name of it or if maybe it is included in another of the major MODs. You could try a search but it does exist.

As for

How's your Romanian? I think they did pretty well considering some of them probably don't speak English or if they do it's probably their second or third language. If I made a game to sell in Romania, it would have to be in English. And I have seen a lot of Americans 'butcher' the English language (myself included at times) so I think the Romanians deserve a little break on that one.

Yes I do, because I have seen it with my own eyes. And they are Americans and should know the language, not Romanians.

So look around, a lot of what you want has already been done, you just need to find it and put it in your MOD folder.

Peabody

It said Ubisoft Romania as the developers. I think it was somebody on my earlier post who wrote me "Remind me never to let a Romanian draw a world map." I don't who that was.

Patchman123
08-18-09, 11:53 PM
I mean have these aircraft including with ALL mods not just FOTRS or something like that. Have all mods include them. I mean, why don't we gather all our talents together on RFB, TMO, RSRDC, and FOTRS and make a SUPER mod. Let's just pool and put all of our talents together for one big supermod for Silent Hunter IV instead of having a rivalry. It'll be fun for all of us.

keltos01
08-19-09, 01:15 AM
RFB and FOTRS do not have the same gaming aims : RFB is tending towards reality more than gameplay, that's why there are different super mods.

I use Op Monsun, RFB with automated targeting and also my friend Maddy's FOTRS.

There will be a soon to come IJN Campaign Climb Mount Niitaka too (Peabody does the campaign, I made the boats)

keltos