PDA

View Full Version : cannot read file error mission editor

ACR
08-16-09, 04:32 PM
hi!

i have the problem that cannot edit missions since my mission editor gives me the error message " cannot create file" . i have 1.04 with the newest LWAMI mod, besides this stock. please help!

thanx much in advance!

Pisces
08-17-09, 01:18 PM
What operating system do you have? (windows version)

ACR
08-17-09, 02:40 PM
hi!

i have vista 32

ACR
08-30-09, 04:40 PM
no help anymore...?

Pisces
08-31-09, 11:51 AM
Oops, forgot about it.

You probably installed dangerous waters somewhere in thedefault location in the Program Files folder. The mission editor wants to save a file into the Scenario folder inside the DW-folder. But Vista is very paranoid about programs modifying files in the Program Files folder structure. If you installed the game outside of the Program Files folder (so not default location) then Vista wouldn't care (so much).

But iirc there was some requirement with Steam installations of DW that want it at the default location. Atleast, that's what I read somewhere, not 100% sure. Perhaps it is possible to reinstall somewhere else. If that is your case (Steam downloaded installation) then you would need to run the game or just the mission editor with Administrator Priveleges. Though the UAC (user account control) interface poping up might still cause problems. Better ask Steam or Sonallysts for more support if you can't solve it.

ACR
09-04-09, 04:40 PM
thanks for the reply!

unfortunetly i have still no solution. i do not have the steam download but the cd version of DW. i can run it at administrator with the same problem . even disabling the uac with msconfig and rebooting gives no solution. i am runnig out of any ideas...

do you have some othe ideas? i give only littlle hope with sonalyst support since they long time ago had quit wit DW...

Dr.Sid
09-04-09, 05:24 PM
Try filemon. Google it.

It allows logging of what process does with files .. what succeeded .. and what failed.
You just must filter some processes out with right-click menu, and you can also set it up to show failures only.

With this you can usually find what's going on.

Pisces
09-04-09, 06:25 PM
Like I said, "Program Files" is an off-limits area. Reinstalling to some other place that is not in the "Program Files" folder is the easiest way. And garuanteed to work if you use the CD instal. Disabling "User Account Control" is not advised since it opens up ways for mallware to spread into your system without you noticing it.

ACR
09-05-09, 11:29 AM
ok, i did a full reinstall of DW to position C:/Dangerous Waters and now it works!

thank you very much for the help and especially pisces for the golden hint!

Pisces
09-05-09, 07:46 PM
Great to hear you have sorted it out. Keep this in mind if you have any other games that you intend to mod. Vista will probably be just as grumpy with it.

SwordfishCrew
09-07-09, 04:17 PM
Also Glad to hear you got DW running.

To avoid this type of Vista problem with most game this is what I have done. Create a C:\My Files folder, Create sub folders as needed, for example C:\My Files\Games. When I install any new software, that allows you specify the folder, I install the software somewhere in the C\My Files folder structure.