PDA

View Full Version : BtS-Mods.com Closing Down

-SWCowboy.
08-15-09, 08:31 AM
Due to circumstances beyond my control I am forced to close BtS-Mods.com for good. I'd like to thank everyone who supported us for doing so, and I am truly sorry for having to do this.

Thanks all.

geosub1978
08-15-09, 08:50 AM
Oh No! Why?

ReallyDedPoet
08-15-09, 12:52 PM
Sorry to hear that Russ :yep:

SeaWolf U-57
08-15-09, 02:16 PM
Just when you was thinking that the day could not get any worse :nope:
BtS will be missed.
Thanks for the past good work Russ i really enjoyed my time working on your team :salute:

Easy_Eight65
08-15-09, 04:12 PM
an incredible modding resource -- this is really tragic!

makman94
08-15-09, 04:21 PM
Due to circumstances beyond my control I am forced to close BtS-Mods.com for good. I'd like to thank everyone who supported us for doing so, and I am truly sorry for having to do this.

Thanks all.

Hello Russ,

is this permanent ?

thats really ...bad news and ....unexpected !

nothing can be done about this ?

Hanomag
08-15-09, 04:29 PM
What the devil? This is inconceivable... why? :cry:

Carotio
08-15-09, 04:37 PM
as a competitor to another, I offer to any involved my sincerest condolences... :salute:

FIREWALL
08-15-09, 05:04 PM
BtS will be missed. Thank You for a Great Site.

It will be greatly missed.

Ermintrude
08-15-09, 05:52 PM
This is the message on the BtS-Mods forum:

SWCowboy: I posted this earlier on in SubSim but I'll give you a more detailed report here.

For the past couple of weeks our server has been overwhelmed and extremely sluggish. Because our bandwidth went beserk while people were trying to download mods and use our forums, we were shut off by the hosting company and I was dinged with some pretty monumental fees. As per the hosting company I was also required to delete all mods from the server before we were brought back online.

Because we are now unable to host our files, we are also unable to provide the services we once did to the community.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Take care everyone.

http://www.bts-mods.com/forums/index.php?topic=2295.0

:nope:

Hanomag
08-15-09, 06:08 PM
This is the message on the BtS-Mods forum:

SWCowboy: I posted this earlier on in SubSim but I'll give you a more detailed report here.

For the past couple of weeks our server has been overwhelmed and extremely sluggish. Because our bandwidth went beserk while people were trying to download mods and use our forums, we were shut off by the hosting company and I was dinged with some pretty monumental fees. As per the hosting company I was also required to delete all mods from the server before we were brought back online.

Because we are now unable to host our files, we are also unable to provide the services we once did to the community.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Take care everyone.

http://www.bts-mods.com/forums/index.php?topic=2295.0

:nope:

Horrifying... one of my favorite and more useful websites. Well TY for all the great work.. I always found mods very easy to locate and or download from BTS in the past. An absolute travesty on this loss. :cry:

Easy_Eight65
08-15-09, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the update, SW Cowboy. I'm still in shock. Wouldn't it be possible to find another hosting company with adequate/affordable bandwidth? I know there must be many on subsim who would be more than happy to donate in order to defray the cost of site hosting and maintenance of such a valuable modding resource.

Easy_Eight65

Onkel Neal
08-15-09, 07:16 PM
Sorry to hear that, Cowboy. I know how difficult it can be to keep a website running, for every 100 people who use the Subsim forums or downloads, one person makes a donation.

-SWCowboy.
08-15-09, 07:53 PM
Carotio, through time I learned it was not all about competition when it came to hosting mods, it was all about ensuring the community and it's members had an adequate place to find their downloads and enjoy the game.

In the 5 years I've done business with Hostmonster and the two years we used with their service for our needs I have never had any issues with them like this. It's pretty disappointing that in order to get my 4 other websites back online I was forced to erase 80 gigabytes of files in a heartbeat with no time to back them up on my own hard drive. That's physically impossible the day before I go on a deployment.

-SWCowboy.
08-15-09, 09:14 PM
When I return to the US I intend to seek out a more dedicated server and rebuild the site, but rebuilding may take some time...

I'll be in touch, have some work to do. Enjoy the weekend guys - sorry for the kick in the nuts but the pain is only temporary!

Hanomag
08-15-09, 09:43 PM
Stay lo ..bro.. :up:

Task Force
08-15-09, 10:12 PM
so what exactly happend to you site?

Hanomag
08-15-09, 10:34 PM
so what exactly happend to you site?

Read a few posts up... :yeah:

kiwi_2005
08-16-09, 03:12 AM
Just notice your sig & I just wished i had known BTS had a AAO2 server before I decided to uninstalled AAO2. Last few days the servers on AA2 has been dead so i believed they all moved to AAO3. Oh well might re-download and reinstall if i get the time.

Sorry to hear about your sub site found it a great place to grab mods from if i couldn't find them here.

CapZap1970
08-16-09, 03:19 AM
Gents, thanks a lot for your kind words, but seems that we will find our way back once Russ returns from his deployment.
Our Host turned out to be a big dissapointment, to say the least, but I assure you all we will be back soon. As Russ said, it will take us some time to get back on our feet due to the huge ammount of files (80+ GB).
Hard task, but not impossible. :yep:
CapZap

nikbear
08-16-09, 05:07 AM
Well from feeling totally gutted http://www.thescubasite.com/smile/sad/sad0100.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com/Scuba-Diving-in-South-America/scuba-diving-in-belize) There would appear a note of optimism,I really hope so,all the best for the future and hopefully back up and running online soonhttp://www.thescubasite.com/smile/sign/sign0075.gif (http://www.thescubasite.com) :salute:

Jimbuna
08-16-09, 02:52 PM
I was devastated to learn of this Russ....especially as I know how much work and dedication you've put in.

I am heartened by the fact you plan a return.

Good luck with your latest deployment and don't become a stranger over at The Lair mate. http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

java`s revenge
08-16-09, 03:45 PM
That`s a pitty. I hope you can continue your work in the US.
But i want to pay if it is neccessary any fee to continue such
a site / work.

Easy_Eight65
08-16-09, 04:17 PM
If you need a paypal donation to support a future BTS site - count me in.

Hope you're up and running again very soon!

Best,
Easy_Eight65

yamato9
08-16-09, 07:29 PM
Thank you subsimers for your kind words and support. Russ, CapZap and Tuddley invested a lot of work in that site and community. Behavior of hosting company was unfair and uprofessional but they like to do that, as we saw simillar example before a year or so.

TarJak
08-16-09, 09:23 PM
Bugger! Sorry to hear it mate. Sailor Steve will have to update his sig again.

fred8615
08-16-09, 10:14 PM
Well, if you're really looking for someone to blame, over 46 of that 80 GB on BtS was mine alone. So at least partly, if not mostly, it was my fault.

Sorry guys.

:wah::wah::wah::wah::wah:

Hanomag
08-17-09, 12:21 AM
Well, if you're really looking for someone to blame, over 46 of that 80 GB on BtS was mine alone. So at least partly, if not mostly, it was my fault.

Sorry guys.

:wah::wah::wah::wah::wah:

We dont blame you guys... but the toolbag hosting company, well thats another story...LOS! :arrgh!:

And I am all for Donating... you PM me when the time comes, you will not be forgotten again. :nope:

Ktl_KUrtz
08-17-09, 05:07 AM
Sorry to hear that!
I enjoyed my stay there.
Its a shame that so many great mods will be lost, is there anyway that they can be saved, uploaded to another site?
KUrtz

Sailor Steve
08-17-09, 11:35 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I feel a little guilty that I was never able to donate to you guys, but circumstances prevented it.

But...

When I return to the US I intend to seek out a more dedicated server and rebuild the site, but rebuilding may take some time...

I'll be in touch, have some work to do. Enjoy the weekend guys - sorry for the kick in the nuts but the pain is only temporary!
I am glad to hear that! Maybe in the future I can be of more help. Best of luck with getting it going again.:sunny:

@ TarJak: :p2::p2: done and done.

Jimbuna
08-17-09, 12:55 PM
He'll be back....you can't keep a good guy down http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

FIREWALL
08-17-09, 01:13 PM
I'm still going to keep your Shortcut Icon on my desktop screen. :yep:

YOU'LL BE BACK !!! :D :salute:

Jimbuna
08-17-09, 04:27 PM
I'm still going to keep your Shortcut Icon on my desktop screen. :yep:

YOU'LL BE BACK !!! :D :salute:

Don't forget to explain to your wife that 'bts' does not mean 'behind the shed' :DL

irish1958
08-17-09, 05:24 PM
"Shane (Russ)", "Shane (Russ)", COME BACK, "SHANE (RUSS)".:wah::wah::wah:

-SWCowboy.
08-21-09, 04:12 PM
Just notice your sig & I just wished i had known BTS had a AAO2 server before I decided to uninstalled AAO2. Last few days the servers on AA2 has been dead so i believed they all moved to AAO3. Oh well might re-download and reinstall if i get the time.

Sorry to hear about your sub site found it a great place to grab mods from if i couldn't find them here.

Beyond the Shadows was originally an AA2 clan, we still play it but on my spare time I also run our SH mod site. Providing I can find a host that won't screw with me and our hosting I will bring BtS-Mods.com back online in some version or another, however, if that cannot be accomplished within a reasonable budget I intend to abandon the project altogether and go back to enjoying the games that my clan supports.

SeaWolf U-57
08-21-09, 04:49 PM
We all hope you will be able to sort things out so BtS comes back on-line :salute:
And we hope that you will take the necessary steps to make sure the site is
Well protected so as this kind of thing will not happen again. :hmmm:

But if it all comes to nothing thanks for trying. :yeah:

PPS hope all is well with the move and Family take care Russ :up:

Capt.Warner
08-22-09, 11:04 PM
Dang:wah::wah::wah:

mainexpress
09-24-09, 03:09 PM
I hope BTS will be back up online again,a very valuable resource for mods,there was a sub skin i wanted to try out because im starting a new career in a type IXC. Where can you get great skins now? that BTS is shut down at the moment.Is there another site i might not no about?

Fluffysheap
09-24-09, 04:04 PM
Can this stuff be hosted on subsim's download section?

If not, I can probably host it for you, I have a couple hundred GB free on my host.

Sailor Steve
09-24-09, 06:05 PM
There are many, many skins in Subsim's Downloads section already.

mainexpress
09-24-09, 06:42 PM
There are many, many skins in Subsim's Downloads section already.I just looked in the downloads section i don't see any skins.

Commander Gizmo
09-24-09, 08:17 PM
I just looked in the downloads section i don't see any skins.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=cat&id=78

mainexpress
09-24-09, 09:43 PM
[quote=Commander Gizmo;1178254]http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=cat&id=78[/quoThanks Giz:up: