PDA

View Full Version : Modding the Mod. a lighter 16k atmos.

Melonfish
08-11-09, 06:06 AM
Right well, i can't see my hand in front of my face, its midnight and there's a ship out there i think?

i'm running the 16k atmosphere mod, and although its fantastic, i can't see a damned thing, now i can alter my gamma, or game brightness or my monitor but you know i'm going to try modding it myself.
the important looking files appear to be the environment .sim files and the scene.dat but i'll be damned if i know how they tie together?

my idea is to give people options, i've seen a few posts on here where people are having issues with the darkness (the day is spot on mind) and its either that they're as blind as i am or they have bad hardware or just preference.

you'll get 3 unpackables all with the 16k sight still.
option 1 will be standard 16k atmos
option 2 will be stock colours day and night
option 3 will be standard 16k daytime but altered night to lie inbetween the stock and the mod versions so its at least possible to see your hand in front of your face :D

its biting off alot i know but i've been pouring over these files last couple of days and i reckon its doable. (well lets be fair others already have)
i've no idea who the original auther of the 16k atmos is tho? obviously i want to credit him and all who've worked on it and just add (i fiddled with it) but i've no idea who it was?
anyway i'll update as this goes.
cheers.
pete

Rapt0r56
08-11-09, 02:32 PM
Nice mate, i would prefer these Optional Mods, 'cause with an LCD it's a little dark! :yeah:

Melonfish
08-11-09, 05:03 PM
been looking round tonight and its promising, although can't guarentee i'll get much done till weekend atm, busy work schedule and also helping eldest son build his first spitfire ;)

Melonfish
08-12-09, 02:22 AM
Raptor, one thing you can do to get the 16k but with stock lightings is simply remove the ENV folder from the 16k atmos mod before enabling it in GWX
you'll be left with the MISC folder and a file called SCENE.DAT

the scene.dat is what controls range and distance for sight etc where the ENV folder does the colours.
you should still be able to see out to 16k whilst having the original colours for day and night in the game m8!
helps on those old LCD's!

if your looking for a 19" tft get yourself to aria.co.uk btw, they're about £65 for their own version supposedly quite good. (no affiliation just dealt with em alot)

Melonfish
08-13-09, 02:20 AM
:damn:
what on earth was going through the minds of the guys who developed this game?
the colour corrections for the sea are all controlled by text file, whilst the sky is controlled by X, y, co-ordinates on an embedded picture file, litterally it just pics a spot on the file and uses that colour.
yeesh.

hats off to the chap who modded this in the first place he's done some stellar work but i'm pretty up to speed with how it all works now so i'm commencing "alteration"
heh i'll post results ;)

also, confirmed that the Scene.dat file is what controlls the sight range so if you want 16k or even 20k as is now out but stock textures for sky and sea just import the scene.dat file into the data folder and you'll be spotting smoke stacks at 19km!

Jimbuna
08-13-09, 05:50 AM
:damn:
what on earth was going through the minds of the guys who developed this game?

Now if you knew the answer to that one you would be worth a great deal of coin of the realm :DL

You could do a lot worse than contact olc, a veritable maestro with environmentals. :yep: