PDA

View Full Version : [REL] SH4 Wind Changer Utility

The Joker
07-28-09, 09:02 PM
It's been a while since I played SH4, so just the other day I decided to have a go at it again. So, after a few mod updates I leave port. After a few days, I get some stormy weather. No big deal, except the storm wouldn't go away. So, about that time, I saved my game, exited, and wrote this little program. Thought I'd share it. :arrgh!:

Warning: I've only tested this program on XP, but I *think* it should work on Vista. Just make sure that you run the utility with administrator privileges.

Silent Hunter 4 Wind Changer v1.0
---------------------------------
SH4 Wind Changer is a small utility that allows you to change the wind direction
and speed in the currently running game.

Usage
-----
1. While the game is running Alt+Tab out.
2. Run the utility.
3. The utility should automatically find the running game and start displaying values.
4. Enter the wind speed and/or direction and press the appropriate "Set" button(s).
5. Close the utility and get return to the game!

Notes
-----
* This program requires administrator privilege as it reads/writes to another program's memory. (sh4.exe)
* The wind speed/heading change is not instant.
* Wind speed changes more quickly than wind heading.

FileFront Download: http://www.filefront.com/14146109/SH4%20Wind%20Changer.zip

ReallyDedPoet
07-29-09, 06:39 AM
Nice :up:

TH0R
08-04-09, 02:05 PM
I just came back from a patrol with 7 days long flat sea. I'm DL-ing this ASP. Many thanks. :)

EDIT: It can't seem to find the game. Says game time 00:00 every time I run it. XP here.

The Joker
08-04-09, 06:55 PM
I just came back from a patrol with 7 days long flat sea. I'm DL-ing this ASP. Many thanks. :)

EDIT: It can't seem to find the game. Says game time 00:00 every time I run it. XP here.Have you renamed the SH4 exe file by any chance? The program looks for sh4.exe, so if you've renamed it, the program won't find the game.

Wilcke
08-04-09, 11:25 PM
The Joker,

Well done on this one. Simple, elegant and oh so satisfying just like well distilled tequila. A must have!

Thank you!

TH0R
08-05-09, 02:27 AM
Have you renamed the SH4 exe file by any chance? The program looks for sh4.exe, so if you've renamed it, the program won't find the game.

No I didn't rename it. Does it might have something to do with the fact I didn't install the game to C:/program Files/Ubisoft...?

The Joker
08-05-09, 11:12 AM
No I didn't rename it. Does it might have something to do with the fact I didn't install the game to C:/program Files/Ubisoft...?No, it doesn't matter where you install it, just what the name of the exe file is. When you run the program (with SH4 running), does the "SH4 PID" field show "????", or does it display numbers? Also, make sure you run the program as administrator, otherwise it may not be able to access sh4's memory.

TH0R
08-06-09, 05:53 AM
No, it doesn't matter where you install it, just what the name of the exe file is. When you run the program (with SH4 running), does the "SH4 PID" field show "????", or does it display numbers? Also, make sure you run the program as administrator, otherwise it may not be able to access sh4's memory.

I'm running XP so it doesn't matter as I'm the only PC user. Yes the program shows PID numbers but thats all. All other values remain 000000. And I can't input any data on my own - 'set' buttons remain gray for me.

The Joker
08-06-09, 12:29 PM
I'm running XP so it doesn't matter as I'm the only PC user. Yes the program shows PID numbers but thats all. All other values remain 000000. And I can't input any data on my own - 'set' buttons remain gray for me.Okay. If the PID field is showing numbers, that means it's found the program. So the problem is that it's not reading the values. When you run the program, are you in the middle of a mission? I mean, where you're actually playing the game, not at a menu or something. (The pause menu is okay, though.) You can test it quickly by starting a training mission. Also, are you running version 1.5?

DarkFish
08-06-09, 02:12 PM
I've got exactly the same problem. The PID field shows a number but all other values are 0. I too am running it as administrator on XP SP3, .NET framework v3.5. And I am running SH4 1.5 and am in the middle of a mission.

BTW, GREAT idea! :yeah: could you do a similar thing for rain and fog? update this program to "SH4 Weather Changer Utility"?

TH0R
08-06-09, 03:27 PM
I've got exactly the same problem. The PID field shows a number but all other values are 0. I too am running it as administrator on XP SP3, .NET framework v3.5. And I am running SH4 1.5 and am in the middle of a mission.

BTW, GREAT idea! :yeah: could you do a similar thing for rain and fog? update this program to "SH4 Weather Changer Utility"?

That is exactly my kind of problem. I have XP SP3 + Net Framework 2, 3, 3.5.

Yes. I am playing the game, I am not in the menu. I'm on my 7th patrol in the career.

The Joker
08-07-09, 03:40 AM
Okay, so there's some other problem. I'll work on fixing it when I have some time. Sorry it didn't work. :damn:

As far as the fog and rain: The weather "system" seems to be scattered throughout the whole game. For example, the wind speed is set when the cloud shaders are reloaded. :doh: Anyway, I'll focus on getting this stupid thing working before adding any new features, but I do plan on doing more.