PDA

View Full Version : Help?

Patboot
07-23-09, 06:42 PM
Just for fun, I'm working on turning a Typ VII into an Alfa.
I've got the electric drive almost sorted out, except for that annoying 'porpoise' effect that I think is related to the the plane drag co-efficient.

My question is: Where do I find the file for max depth before damage?

I've looked in .cfg, /sub, even in the mini-tweaker.
There's a file for "max depth" but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Parameters: Depth 1500ft, speed 45kts+

This is just for fun, mind you, seeing how far the rubber will stretch, hehehe.

Graf Paper
07-24-09, 07:09 AM
You'll likely need skwas' very well made and full featured utility for modifying some of the features you're describing. It's called Silent 3ditor, abbreviated as S3D, and you can find it here... S3D - Silent 3ditor Home (http://sh4.skwas.net/)

Although it was created for modding SH4, skwas also went the extra mile and built in support for SH3 as well!

To alter a u-boat's crush depth and maximum speed, as well as draught, drag, center of gravity, (and much more) you'll use S3D to open the .dat and .sim files for the specific boat you're working with.

S3D even allows you to import new models, like one for a Russian Alpha-class.

I hope this gives you a good starting place. Looking forward to seeing what you turn out!

Good luck! :up:

Patboot
07-24-09, 08:04 AM
Thanks, Graf. I was contemplating S3D, but at first look it seemed a little complicated. But if there's preset files, and a how-to, I think I'll take another look at it.

Imagine... pinged by a horde of DD's, going to 6oom, and burning off at 40 knots. Rifle back into it, go silent and float up to peri depth.

linerkiller
07-24-09, 08:49 AM
Thanks, Graf. I was contemplating S3D, but at first look it seemed a little complicated. But if there's preset files, and a how-to, I think I'll take another look at it.

Imagine... pinged by a horde of DD's, going to 6oom, and burning off at 40 knots. Rifle back into it, go silent and float up to peri depth.
ah...you mean an Alpha submarine...for a moment I thought that you wanted to drive an Alfa Romeo car at sea!!!!
Excuse me...but that's a too funny misunderstanding!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Task Force
07-24-09, 08:51 AM
Lol, at first I thought he was saying he was gonna turn a VIIB into the alfa Romeo...:rotfl:

No but this sounds like a good Idea.:yep:

Patboot
07-24-09, 11:22 AM
:shifty:

Don't make me get out the Cyrillic fonts.

Any tips for the 'planes? Seems to take forever to get steadied at depth.

Graf Paper
07-24-09, 03:46 PM
That has more to do with mass than the planes (although you could try altering the coefficients for those), I believe.

Mass has a lot to do with how much "inertia" a vessel will have. This means a very heavy boat will resist levelling at high speed, when combine with buoyancy. Balancing mass and buoyancy has much to do with a stable boat.

Don't forget the game has an absolute limit to just how deep you can go. Imagine the world's oceans being like a hollow ball, with a blanket floating on top of and below the surface representing dry land and sea floor.

The thickness of the ball's skin represents the total depth of the ocean. This total depth is 350 meters. Go deeper than that and you'll get a CTD.

300 meters is the magic number. Depth charges cannot go past this depth, in the stock game. :03:

Patboot
07-24-09, 11:55 PM
I see.

300m...hmmm.

Yeah, i ujnderstand world graphics well enough- I play WWIIOL; the water is 1 pixel deep.
I just thought depth here was in the 1000m range.