PDA

View Full Version : Changed my monitor , now the sub gauges are elliptic instead of circular

tonschk
07-06-09, 05:28 PM
Hello , I dont know if this problem have been discussed before , I have changed my monitor from 19" to 20" but the 20" have lower and wider screen and the SH3 sub looks larger ( more horizontal less vertical ) and the gauges also looks like ellipse/elliptic rather than the normal circular gauges , in Silent Hunter 4 there is no problem ,all the SH4 game is OK , but in the SH4 game is possible to control the resolution 1680X1050 etc etc ,I cannot find where to control the resolution for SH3 , can someone help me to adjust this in SH3 , thank you in advance

CapZap1970
07-06-09, 06:53 PM
Rubini has created a mod that fixed the stretching with widescreen monitors, but it only works for the 3D views. AFAIK, so far it has been a problem without solution the gauges and all the 2D images.... maybe in a future. :yep:

tonschk
07-07-09, 05:13 AM
Hello , thank you very much for the answer and the help :salute:, I dont understand , what is the mean of 3D ? , can I use this way to solve the ellipse gauges bug with this 3D ? , thank you for the help

Pisces
07-07-09, 06:04 AM
3D means 3 dimensional, the way you see the world around you, showing depth and space (like F2 the inside view of your uboat, or from the bridge). 2d means 2 dimensional, which is like looking at a painting, it is allways flat. (like the F7 crew and compartment view, and all the instrument dials) The solution CapZap mentioned replaces a file that only fixes the scaling for the 3d view. It doesn't change the dials and other flat things drawn on the screen.

Personally I changed a setting in my graphics card properties to 'scale while maintaining aspect ratio' for games that wanted a lower resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio (ratio of horizontal and vertical size) This results in getting black bands on the side of your widescreen monitor, but I preffer it over a distorted screen. SH3 was made before these screens became popular, therefore it wasn't taken into account when it was developed.

tonschk
07-07-09, 07:56 AM
Hello there ,:salute: Thank you very much for the help , my Monitor now have 1680x1050 , can you tell me please to which resolution I must change to play SH3 with a black area on each side of the screen and get back the circular gauges ? thank you :yeah:

Pisces
07-07-09, 10:50 AM
1024x768 is the standard maximum i believe.

tonschk
07-07-09, 01:03 PM
Hello there ,http://1.2.3.9/bmi/www.subsim.com/radioroom/images/smilies/salute.gif Thank you very much for the help

Fincuan
07-07-09, 01:13 PM
Any 4:3 resolution should do. Use the resolution "fix" to set the resolution to one that best fills the monitor but is 4:3, so that those black bars are only on the sides. This way you'll also get a better result than if you let your monitor do the scaling.

tonschk
07-07-09, 03:08 PM
Hello , thank you , I went to , Control panel/ display / Settings , and adjusted the resolution to 1024x768 , not yet restart the computer ,still the gauges and every circle looks distort elliptical egg shape instead of circular, not yet black bars on each side , I cannot get the black bars on each side , please do you have another suggestion ? , thank you

May be I need to restart the computer

geosub1978
07-07-09, 03:39 PM
Hello , thank you , I went to , Control panel/ display / Settings , and adjusted the resolution to 1024x768 , not yet restart the computer ,still the gauges and every circle looks distort elliptical egg shape instead of circular, not yet black bars on each side , I cannot get the black bars on each side , please do you have another suggestion ? , thank you

May be I need to restart the computer

No, you must do this through your graphics card driver or through your monitor driver. Explore these two end you will probably find an adjustment for 4/3 display. Of course it is likely that neither of them has such an option so...you will have to live with that!

Pisces
07-07-09, 04:38 PM
Tell us what brand and type of monitor and graphicscard you have. Then we may be able to direct you where to look for it.

tonschk
07-07-09, 05:43 PM
Thank you , I have a DELL E2009W , and a nVidia 8800GT 512Mb , thank you very much :salute:

Pisces
07-08-09, 03:41 AM
I couldn't fid a manual for your monitor (Dell messed up their site) but I did find a manual on how to change the settings for your graphicscard:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/181.22/181.22_NVIDIA_Control_Panel_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf

I have a nvidia card too (though it's a 9600M GT), but you must be able to find the same option to change. Right-click on the deskop and choose 'nvidia configuration screen'. Then in the tree on the left side I chose the second line under the second branch 'Display'. But it may be different as you have a different card/driver. You should be looking for something named: 'NVIDIA-scaling with fixed aspect-ratio'. Don't bother with setting the resolution to 1024x768 or something. The driver takes care of the size, just leave it to max or default settings.

tonschk
07-08-09, 04:50 AM
Thank you very much for the help :yeah:, can you tell me plase if this process to change is complicated because I usually play also the SH4 and I think if I adjust the screen to play SH3 later may be I need to adjust back all again to play SH4 ,but if this process is quick there is no problem , can you tell me please your opinion ? , thank you :up:

I think this is the page

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z58/tonschk/mged.jpg

ridgewayranger
07-08-09, 11:20 AM
Hi There,
I use 1440 x900 on my wide screen monitor combined with Rubinis fix and I'm happy with the result. True, in 2D in chart screen it is a bit wide but I can live with that. In SH4 it looks pretty good too.
RR

tonschk
07-09-09, 07:28 AM
Thank you very much , I try to use the utility showed in the photo added to my previous post but when I try to change to "'NVIDIA-scaling with fixed aspect-ratio' " the answer is " program not responding " and I must cancel everything

Pisces
07-09-09, 08:52 AM
Did you set the fixed aspect setting when the game was allready running? Or before you started Sh3? That would be the propper way. Most games do not like it when you change graphics settings when they are running. I don't think SH4 will get into conflict. As it has it's own resolution settings, and you said it allready handles widescreen good. So it shouldn't ever get those black bands.

tonschk
07-09-09, 10:04 AM
Thank you for the help , of course I try to change the settings to "' NVIDIA-scaling with fixed aspect-ratio' " without games running in the computer , already twelve attempts , the result is always " program is not responding " and I must cancel close the frozen utility and I dont send the problem report to microsoft

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z58/tonschk/problemresolution.jpg