PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue Question

Notewire
07-05-09, 12:25 PM
Hello, I am an old Kaluen, and just dusted off SH3 and got playing again. I run my boat at a max TC of 128 - and I have all my Max TC's in SH3 Commander set to 128.

So, here is my question. When I go to 128 TC, the boat appears to vibrate because of the time acceleration. I could set my particle rendering down to solve that, but as I recall, then the fatigue model doesn't work.

Which TC in the old basic.cfg affects the fatigue, and how do I get rid of the vibrating 128 without affecting my historically accurate fatigue model?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Yarre Notewire.

karamazovnew
07-05-09, 07:59 PM
For the vibration I guess the only option is to turn the max setting for 3d views to 32x. Not sure why you'd want it higher. Even on 32x the bridge view makes me dizzy.

As for the fatigue model, I'm not sure it can be set to more. Even the GWX model was limited to 64x. Most either use the NYGM model, or just turn it off in the SH3 Commander. You'll get enough of moving the crew around when you manually drag the lazy watch offcer to the bridge :D By the way what's your "historically accurate fatigue model"?

badwolf
07-05-09, 08:57 PM
Hi Notewire,
I use max 250 TC with fatigue on all the time, but I go above 1 TC in map mode only. The fatigue is controlled by "When in 3D views" and can only be set in main.cfg called "3DRender=32" 32 is the default value, this is what is adjusted by Sh3Commander if you change its 3D setting.
The Particles setting does not effect fatigue but will effect things like ship wakes. I use very long wakes for my sub and ships, if "Particle Setting" is too low then there is a delay for them to show in 3D view when dropping down to 1 TC, so I have this set to max as well as the "3DRender".

The reason for the above is to stop fatigue cheating, I can't do repairs (Longer Repair Times) or load torpedoes etc and avoid fatigue by going into High TC. The bad side of this is that in high TC crew changing can be very frequent so I have developed my own "Fatigue Model" to make management less of a bind.

I don't think it's a good idea going above 1 TC in 3D views as vibration is probably due to the system unable to keep up with all the rapid graphics updating. Even in map view there's places were the game can slow down in high TC i.e Kiel Canal.

Notewire
07-09-09, 02:58 AM
Thanks fellas.

Historically Accurate Fatigue for me is GWX 8 hr. I use this because it means a shift change every 8 hours for the regular crew, 4 hours for those on watch/intense duty. I think this mimics running a U-Boat the best, and I like to move the crew around to make me feel involved with the difficulties of running a small steel tube through the North Atlantic.

I will try to keep the "When in 3d Views" up at max (128 max for me) and put the particle rendering down to 32 - I think that may fix my problem. I had this licked 2 years ago when I played, but forgot how.

When it is working well - it is great. I try to play without ever using the "HUD" - and I can sit at the Shift F5 (Nav Desk) and watch the clock and my progress go by with the time acceleration. When I do this now - the whole screen vibrates up and down with the waves at 128 waves per second, if you see what I mean. I had it set up years ago so that it seemed smooth as 1x TC - at the Nav Desk, even when you were at 128.

Anyways, thanks for the help, I will let you know how it works out.
Regards,
Tschuss,
Notewire.

karamazovnew
07-09-09, 09:30 AM
I guess I was way off in my comment :) Badwolf, thanks for the info. I'd like to see your fatigue model. But why do you go above 1TC in map mod only?