PDA

View Full Version : patches and mods

She-Wolf
06-17-09, 10:10 AM
Hello folks :) I bought SH4 when it first came out, and after a brief and fairly boring excursion into the big wet, I went back to SH3. Now I am back again, keen to give it another go, and came here looking to see if there were any patches or upgrades I ought to put on to the basic game before I get stuck in. I have nHanced it as best I can and then gone to the download page and there see a number of mods - but which to choose and is there anything I need to put on first?

My system is XPSP3, running two Geforce 7600 PCI-E's in SLI mode with the little bridge thingy joining them together, I have 2Mb ddr2 Ram, which is the max, and it is a 3.4 GHz P4 processor.

One other thing you may be able to help me with though not strictly related.

I also play the X-series space games, and they are very demanding, which is why we got this system in the first place, but I have always had a small problem when in that game, in that when approaching a space-gate, which is when it is most noticeable, every few seconds - ish, there is a slight pause. It isn't jerky the way you get when you just don't have sufficient ram, its as if the processor is taking a breath before it does the next bit. The game is still playable, though I think too much activity on screen might make it worse, but it does spoil it for me. Would it be to do with SLI? The reason I ask is because I loaded the game onto my sons computer just to test it out, and it seemed to go much more smoothly with that - and he has only one card and no SLI....
Anyways, all help, advice and suggestions ( nice ones that is) gratefully received :)

kiwi_2005
06-17-09, 10:35 AM
For the X series problem and are you talking about X2, X3 spacesims? Then go to the other games thread here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177 There's a thread up about X3 atm they might be able to help with the gfx issues

For mods just head to SH4 Fleetboat mods category
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219

Grab the Uboat missions addon if you haven't got it.

atm im only running one major mod - Trigger Maru 1.7

Others i personally recommend. Found in SH4 Fleetboat mods section
Game fixes only mod
Fall of the Rising Sun
RSRD
Pacific enviroment 4

Found in SH4 ATO mods section:

Atlantic Campaign for SH4
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=140129

Atlantic-Pacific Submarine Warfare Mod by w_clear
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151592

Anyways there's so many good mods out its quite hard to stick to just one. So best to try them all then see what you want to stick with. :)

Good hunting

She-Wolf
06-17-09, 10:37 AM
thank you kiwi :)

Armistead
06-17-09, 01:29 PM
You're a little on the low end spec wise, but the game should still be playable.

The mods improve the game 200%. TMO vs RFB...matter of choice, both are great, but I wouldn't play without RSRDC...the best mod out there as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think the game uses SLI, but maybe someone else knows.

FIREWALL
06-17-09, 01:33 PM
You're a little on the low end spec wise, but the game should still be playable.

The mods improve the game 200%. TMO vs RFB...matter of choice, both are great, but I wouldn't play without RSRDC...the best mod out there as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think the game uses SLI, but maybe someone else knows.

I'm sure she meant 2GB of ram. And she far exceeds the specs for running SH4 modded or not.

New All in One D\L Center : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=cat&id=2

AVGWarhawk
06-17-09, 01:50 PM
No, I would say the specs on the machine are very good. It will not be 100 FPS performance but certainly smooth play.

As far as mods, if you like the uboats get operations Monsun (OM). There are other mods you can add to OM to enrich the game. If you want to play fleets use RFB or TMO. Both really good mods. TMO is a good balanced mod for the fleets. RFB is shooting for more realism. I recommend RSRD(run silent run deep) for either RFB or TMO.

Welcome to the sunny side of life:D

FIREWALL
06-17-09, 02:03 PM
While I highly recommend Multi- Install.

You can put them in jsgme and check them all out separately that way too. :yep:

She-Wolf
06-17-09, 02:17 PM
Firewall, I Did mean 2 GB- silly ol me.:oops: I have put the 1.4 patch on SH4 now, and see an improvement in the appearance of the scenery, and the crew - much more lifelike - so that is good, but I have a strange effect appearing on the water according to the angle I am looking at it, and it is also evident in the command room. A banded effect, greys and blacks and lighter stripes, almost like a moire interference fringe, if you know what I mean ( may not have spelled that right). I expect it is me doing something wrong in nHancer or summat, and I am about to try it with the mod that removes grainyness, but if you can put your seasoned fingers on it and can say "AHA! YES! That's...."
I would most pleased to know :)

FIREWALL
06-17-09, 02:37 PM
Firewall, I Did mean 2 GB- silly ol me.:oops: I have put the 1.4 patch on SH4 now, and see an improvement in the appearance of the scenery, and the crew - much more lifelike - so that is good, but I have a strange effect appearing on the water according to the angle I am looking at it, and it is also evident in the command room. A banded effect, greys and blacks and lighter stripes, almost like a moire interference fringe, if you know what I mean ( may not have spelled that right). I expect it is me doing something wrong in nHancer or summat, and I am about to try it with the mod that removes grainyness, but if you can put your seasoned fingers on it and can say "AHA! YES! That's...."
I would most pleased to know :)

Hi She-Wolf :) I would try it without useing nHancer first.

Just ingame stuff to get a visual benchmark .

Your rig as has been posted is not the problem.

And it's glad to see you posting. Wondered what happened to you. :yep:

OT. Are you keeping busy workwise ?

She-Wolf
06-17-09, 02:42 PM
Firewall - you remember me! (swoons). I got upset, losing doglet an all that, and just stopped playing really. Just played little games like Brickshooter to pass the time in the evening. Plenty to do though, computers keep coming in and life goes on... so here I am, back again :)

Shall Iput a screenshot up of my banded water, or would that be agin the rules?

FIREWALL
06-17-09, 03:01 PM
Firewall - you remember me! (swoons). I got upset, losing doglet an all that, and just stopped playing really. Just played little games like Brickshooter to pass the time in the evening. Plenty to do though, computers keep coming in and life goes on... so here I am, back again :)

Shall Iput a screenshot up of my banded water, or would that be agin the rules?

No rules broken that I can see. My sorrow for your loss. If I lost my baby " General " I would be lost for awhile.

We'll figure out what the problem is so you can play SH4 :yep: :DL

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9/333wx4.png

She-Wolf
06-17-09, 03:30 PM
nff, what am I doing wrong - I have forgotten how to post a screenshot on here. It asks for a URL, so I pasted the pic to the picasa album website and gave the url, but that didn't work either.:88)

FIREWALL
06-17-09, 03:35 PM
nff, what am I doing wrong - I have forgotten how to post a screenshot on here. It asks for a URL, so I pasted the pic to the picasa album website and gave the url, but that didn't work either.:88)

It seemed like it took me forever to figure out ImageShack. :haha:

PhotoBucket was a DISASTER !!!:har:

AVGWarhawk
06-17-09, 03:43 PM
I like photobucket. Works great for me. :D

She-Wolf
06-17-09, 03:43 PM
oh well, I can enjoy your funny icons instead..:rotfl::rotfl:. I shall take your advice. I am going to uninstall, reinstall, put the patch on and see if there is a difference then. Maybe I will get me feet wet before bed-time:yawn::)

FIREWALL
06-17-09, 03:54 PM
oh well, I can enjoy your funny icons instead..:rotfl::rotfl:. I shall take your advice. I am going to uninstall, reinstall, put the patch on and see if there is a difference then. Maybe I will get me feet wet before bed-time:yawn::)

When you do that :yawn: it makes others do this :yawn: and it's only 2p.m. here. :haha:

She-Wolf
06-17-09, 05:10 PM
oh yes... I fergot (smothers yawn)

well, uninstalled, reinstalled put patch on, took sli off, and nhancer - not much difference. sea is a bit better but down in the command room the stripes are still there, not on the people, just the metalwork, quite pretty really, but not realistic... I don't want to not have the patch as it gives some great improvements, but... maybe I will uninstall and reinstall again tomorrow and not put the patch on - but I shall be disappointed even if it solves the stripey problem.

night-night for now :yawn: oops... thorry :)